Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How old were you before you could afford your dream coin?

I was remembering my Indian Head penney collection that I had when I was young. What excited me back then was being able to see the letters in the word LIBERTY (these were tougher to afford than the well-worn pieces). Anyway, my dream back then was that some day I'd be able to afford an 1877 in at least fine condition. Well, if I still wanted one (my interests have changed as far as coins are concerned), I could easily afford it.

At what point were you able to afford the coin that you dreamed about as a youngster? Did you still care enough to buy it? Did you buy it for sentimental reasons? Did you buy it just because you could?

Dan

Comments

• Options
    42....I just got it this past week times 3...OVERKILL, wouldn't ya say!...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't afford it - yet!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    I will let you know when I get it.

ms69 Morgan or a ms68DMPL are a couple "common" dream coins
  • Options
    My dream coin since I was a youngster (in the 50's) has been an 1856 Flying eagle--still can't afford it! But maybe after I liquidate my extra Morgans......
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    32. Couldn't afford it until the market dropped a ton, and the coin became available for the first time in 6 years (1986). I lusted after it as much then, as I did 11 years earlier when I first saw it and COULD afford it. But thought it was way too much money. How little I knew then.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I don't know yet! image

I would like to obtain a PCGS-certified flowing hair with the small eagle reverse silver dollar from the 1700s.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    I am 48 and still cant afford it ... 1889 Morgan CC.
    Paul in Pine Hill
    ----------------------------------------
    My ebay auctions

• Options
    My dream coin seems to be a moving target, so I don't think I've gotten it yet. My current dream is a PQ $10 Indian, so it'll probably be a while...
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well,

My dream coin is a 1838-O Half Dollar, I'm 27 and cant afford it...Will let you know when I can image

John
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I acquire a current dream coin I think up another one. Therefore I'll never get old enough until I go to the great numismatic store in the sky, or have to cash in my chips (coins) because I need the money.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Don't really have a dream coin,but I do think I may get a 1854/1855 F.E. Large Cent when I'm older.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was 34 when I got my sig coin, a favorite design I had admired for about 25 years in the Redbook.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    cosmos66, I have an 1889-CC Morgan. It is STILL at PCGS being graded, but I think she will be only AG03. At least I got one!

cosmos66, I have many cc's that I want to sell that I have upgraded! Here is what I would like to get rid of:
    1878-CC, raw, VF+, cleaned but retoning, VAM 11 (top 100)
    1882-CC, raw, XF+
    1890-CC, raw, F
    1891-CC, raw, G
    1893-CC, raw, G
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    I am 55, and I have yet to get my dream coin!

Bulldog
    Proud to have fought for America, and to be an AMERICAN!

No good deed will go unpunished.

Free Money Search
  • Options
    Heck I am 49 and still cannot afford my dream coin, I would have to sell half of all I own to buy my dream coin. a 1927-d gaudens in ms-65
    Michael
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    41 ... and not there yet.

Dream coin: Pan-Pac $50 round
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't gotten there yet, darn it.

My dream coin is a $50 gold Pan Pac (octagonal) in MS63. Finally getting one of those is going to require the death of a wealthy, generous relative -- and I don't have any of those!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I have 2 dream coins and I haven't gotten either one, yet. Hopefully I'll live long enough.

They are, in no particular order;

Chain Cent XF

1794 Dollar XF

I would gladly give either one of these coins a nice home.
    Dan
  • Options
    See this is the problem with everyone, it shouldn't be about $$$$ -- every coin is my dream coin, it makes collecting that much easier and that much more rewarding.

I just bought a proof IHC, not expensive in the grand scheme of things, but I treasure that coin just like I would a much more expensive coin.

Remember it's the little things!

Just my 2 cents,
    Michael
  • Options
    wow, some of you guys dream pretty big!

I took the question to mean dream coin that had been acquired so far...

one of many ultimate dream coins for me is a 1797 half dollar in AU or better.

probably a few years off, yet. image

• Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    i am 38 and if i didnt buy coins every month for a year........i could afford that MS64rd or 65rb 1955 double die lincoln........but that was the dream as a kid............now the dreams are larger.............early halves in lofty grades, insane DMPL'S and so on.........
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭

<< <i>See this is the problem with everyone, it shouldn't be about $$$$ -- every coin is my dream coin, it makes collecting that much easier and that much more rewarding. >>

I agree Michael. I too enjoy each and every coin I own. My favorite is a completely worn (basically worthless) large cent given to me by my grandparents. It belonged to my great grandfather.

But, for as long as I can remember I have wanted to own each of the coins I mentioned. The grade isn't as important as the coin itself. But I'd still like the grade for each, as I mentioned. image

Dan
  • Options
    OK guys, this is slightly OT--I posted earlier about my dream of owning an 1856 FE--but guess what I found several days ago while sifting through a pile of old mostly junk mexican copper. As I went through a lot of 20 centavos, etc., I picked up a half dollar size round of copper and put it aside as I thought it was a slug--but something made me come back to it--wet my finger and rubbed it a little to see some detail and lo and behold -- a 1798 Draped bust large cent in somewhere around AG3 peered back at me. All that's visible on the obverse is the faint date (but complete), bust and a shadow of "erty" and what looks like a chop mark (which makes no sense to me) in the right field. The reverse is close to good with only "States of America" partially obliterated. There is no way this would photograph except as a circle of brown. The chop? damages it so it's not worth that much but I'm still very happy to have found it. I've got many beautiful mint state morgan dollars(and in some cases expensive) that I enjoy and that spent their previous life in a treasury vault--but this old large cent just reeks of experience and history, God knows where it has been--I've been studying it for the last few days and I'm sure it will always be a favorite. It will have to be my best "find" to date.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I can now afford almost any coin I want. But, I'm not comfortable dumping large amounts of money on my dream coins yet (the wife would kill me too). Gotta work into it slowly. I would like to have complete type set someday. There are a few in there that would qualify as dream coins.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ttt
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I now have the ones I wanted to find in change as a kid. A 1909-S VDB, 1922 no D, a three-legged buffalo, and a 1942/1 dime. So it was really just a matter of being interested in coin collecting while employed.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    >How old were you before you could afford your dream coin?

496. By then I should have enough for an 1804 dollar -- if I start saving now.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keeps changing, everytime I get my latest dream coin, I get a new dream and then I hafta get older.

I guess as long as I keep getting new dream coins, I'll just hafta keep getting older (sort of like the lady that owned the Winchester Mystery house, keep building on the house, keep living).
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    So if we are talking about the dream coin from when I started collecting in 1971, I still can't afford it- it is currently in the 7 figure areaimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    I've had several dream coins that I've wanted to purchase (and only a few that I've actually bought to date). But the first such dream coin I bought was when I was 20 -- a 1955 double die penny. I worked a whole summer to afford that coin, but it was worth it.
  • Options
    My first dream coin when I started collecting in 1966 was a 37-D 3 legged buffalo nickel,finally bought one in 1975 for $55.00 in fine condition at the age 23.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    When I was a kid, I wanted a trime, a flying eagle cent, a coin from Carson City, and a 20¢ piece. My dad bought me an example of each except the 20¢. Once I returned to the hobby, one of the first things I bought was an 1875-S 20¢ in good for $50. I went ahead and bought the other two 1875 coins in slightly better condition--each less than $75. Then I got an 1876 in fine with full LIBERTY for $165. I figure I did all right.

I also managed to pick up a nicely toned 1851 trime in AU off a bid board. It's a really beautiful coin.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    I do not think I will live long enough!
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    I need to win powerball first.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    As a kid, my dream coin was a 1909-S VDB.

Three years ago at age 34 I bit the bullet and paid $1400 for one in PCGS MS65RB. I was tickled to death.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    I was 36 years old when I was able to afford my first really nice 1794 Large Cent in 1993, and I am still chasing them after ten years!
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    1955 doubled die obverse Lincoln cent and a 1943-D bold doubled D mint mark...

i saw those 2 in the " red book" when i was 9 or 10 ....and for years was doubtful that they really existed.

at 48 i bought them...plunging me head first back into coin collecting deeper than ever. (after a 35 year hiatus)

both mint state coins ...63 brown & 64 (steel)
  • Options
    I will never be able to afford my dream coin. I ain't got a million dollars. image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dream coin is in Mr. Blays collection. I'm hoping to outlive him.image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    I figure that I will be about 112, give or take a decade.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    How old were you before you could afford your dream coin?

I still can't.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    I think all you people who can't yet afford your ultimate dream coin should set your sights on a lower dream that you can just barely afford, and get a "centerpiece" the next time you see it.

Life is just too damned short to have unfulfilled dreams.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Baley is absolutely right!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    I'm not that old yet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file