Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

This is why I'm on the darkside

I can not believe the price on this auction for a lightside contemporary coin. Maybe I'm missing something but think of the darkside coins that you could get for this much money!!!
Egads
Shep

Comments

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Is that haze I see on the coin? I thought a PR70 had to be perfect. image
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    It's bullion for crying out loud!! image

Anyway, I don't think that's typical (for that coin at least, lightsiders can be looney).. Silver Eagle Coins (a board member, not looney image) has a few PR69s for under $50.
  • Options
    I am totally with you on this one, Shep.

I have always believed to each their own when it comes to collecting. But, if I had a kid and he came home and said he bought that bullion coin for that price.... BAM-ZOOM! To the Moon.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    It's got everything to do with the registry game! image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    It's rampant idiocy! I own the same coin, bought from the mint; i've gone over it in detail with my 10x and can't find spot one on it-
    But it ain't in the plastic!; it's not part of pop 26... wait until the other 25,000 perfect coins hit the market! imageimageimage
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Look at it this way, boys 'n girls - the more money they waste over there on stupid registry games, the less money we have to compete with on this side of the world!!! image
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Ditto Laurent: "It's rampant idiocy!"

I can't believe it, but I see it.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

<< <i>THE POPULATION OF THIS COIN AT THE TIME I LISTED IT IS ONLY 26 CERTIFIED BY PCGS AT THIS LEVEL. >>

Well yippee. You could spend $1200.00 on that, and get something that is a bit more than 1 year old, has hundreds known, 26 of which are supposedly exactly on par with yours.

Or for just a tad under $1000.00 you can get a coin that has weathered over 1800 years in the ground, and is the best of only two known in the world.

http://www.civitasgalleries.com/images/AC1022.jpg

I'll be the first to say that people should collect what they want and pay whatever they feel is fair for what they collect. But I for one like to get a little bit of value for my dollar, and I just don't see it in a 1 year old bullion round. But that's just me. image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Well said, Civitas....
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• Options
    Well, then, Civitas, you'd better get with the program then, huh????? Quit trying to peddle that old junk and start buying truly valuable stuff---modern bullion.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, then, Civitas, you'd better get with the program then, huh????? Quit trying to peddle that old junk and start buying truly valuable stuff---modern bullion. >>

imageimage
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe you are criticising others for what they choose to collect. Chacun a son gout! To each his own!

The gall of you snotty-nosed, uppity, elitist darksiders! What's wrong with paying over $1,500 for a $10 coin if someone wants it enough?!

Sorry, I can't keep up with the impersonation of a litesider. image

Yep, there's a lot of money down the drain.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Nuts image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why am I always the one to have to defend this stuff. Believe it or not, ACG, Coin Vault,
    and coin doctors are not manisfestations of the devil incarnate. Bullion coins are not the
    undoing of western civilization and ultra moderns are not the financial equivalent of shov-
    eling money into a furnace. This being said, I am not a fan of any of these. Sure Coin Vault
    is "good" entertainment and ACG is often good for a chuckle or two, bullion coins can be very
    attractive and there are safer ways to "play" any of the markets than buying two year old coins.

I'd really just rather play with my coins and learn about them on the net, but always I get roped
    into defending things I love, and even some I don't.

I didn't create the markets, they are what they are. They are always trying to tell us something
    and it's always the same thing, "this is the supply and demand". If you think it's too high- sell.
    If you think it's too low- buy. If you don't care....
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    That is insane!!! $1500 for a $15 coin just because it is well made and in stinking plastic! I am in the wrong business.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image alittle too rich for me... which is okay

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    As of this post - there are three hours left and 16 bids!!!!!! - I know that in coin collecting it is "to each his own", on the darkside we see that all of the time. Many of us have very different collecting habits and tastes - that , to me, is part of the fun. To see that different posts from the different members gives me a dramatic view of the world, history and art.
    But in the case of a "perfect" bullion coin, 2 years young, going for such a price tells me less about the coin but speaks volumes about collectors with their eyes on investment rather than the enjoyment of the coin itself........man I'm getting long winded in my old ageimage
    Shep
  • Options
    Cladking, I don't disagree with you in principle. Throughout my life, I always cherry-picked pocket change in order to find the nicest CLAD coins. Yes, that's me. Because that's what I had access to, and I found some really nice pieces. That's the essence of collecting, and it's exciting.

Sure, I think the market should work. Let people buy and sell what they want and pay what they want for said items. I'm a strong defender of that. I'm not bashing moderns, either.

What I think is crazy, however, is paying a downpayment on a house for one modern bullion coin that just happens to reside in somebody's plastic coffin with a certain number on it given by someone who just might have massive conflicts of interests in putting that number on it. (This is a bit off topic, but we all know what I'm talking about here). Why would someone want to feed their greed and vanity by paying 100 times the value of that bullion coin just because it has the coveted MS-70 number on it?? When in fact, there are tons of similar, if not exactly the same coins around waiting to be slabbed. Or not. Who cares?

I'm not interested in buying that coin, but if others want to waste their money, so be it.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    It's okay, Clad--you don't have to defend 'em all.

Remember as Johnny Cochrane said: "If the bidding don't quit... it can't be s--t."

My apologies to the sensitive among us.

Rankeye

• Options

<< <i>
    But in the case of a "perfect" bullion coin, 2 years young, going for such a price tells me less about the coin but speaks volumes about collectors with their eyes on investment rather than the enjoyment of the coin itself........man I'm getting long winded in my old age
    Shep >>

Perhaps there is some truth in what you say. But one thing is certain, there are 26 people who have
    put down their money for his coin. There are many dozens more who have bid similar amounts and lost.
    I do not feel competent to judge the motives of these people, but you can rest assured that if they all
    or most of them, bid based on investment potential then there can be no real market and in the long run
    these prices can not hold.

I'll bet a lot of these folks are just trying to put together a collection of coins and staying current.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Clad -- I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, you are correct that this is the choice of those who are bidding for these coins and, as my economics professor always said, "All decisions are made using a cost benefit analysis, if the costs exceed the benefits then a decision will never be in the affirmative"
    My main objective was just to show the difference in the darkside vs lightside values.

Sorry for the post sounding too "stuck up"image
    Shep
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    This is just like the "Tech Bubble" on the stock market, with all the glam stocks like JDSU, PMCS and RFMD. We all know what happened to them. This US coin bubble will burst someday, make no mistake.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Bubbles are excessive demand for things that are not really in short supply like
    tulip bulbs and dotcom stocks. Not all US coins fit this category.

It remains to be seen if the coin in question does or not.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    I love the Walker design, but I'd take Josh's worn Roman over that perfect modern yearling any day ... of course, if I were sane, I'd take the bullion Walker, wait a month, sell it for twice what I paid for it, and then buy his Roman and the second-best. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    To me paying that kind of money for a Silver Eagle is daft. I could buy two gold Guineas from the 1700s and have money left for a nice dinner with my wife for what that buyer paid!

Having said that, there are more people who collect proof eagles than Guineas and that fella could end up making money (but I doubt it).
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>Bubbles are excessive demand for things that are not really in short supply like

It remains to be seen if the coin in question does or not. >>

I was reading about the tulip craze a few months ago. I think the US coin market follows the tulip pattern fairly well. In the US market there are coins which are plainly common just as there were common varieties of cheap tulips. However, some connoisseurs value certain mint state or proof grades over others as flower connoisseurs valued some slightly different varieties over common tulips. Speculation is taking prices for common coins in preferred grades to amazing heights, and one day it will all come crashing down. Some coins will hold their value reasonably well even after the crash, as did some tulips.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I'm not one to slam anyone's collecting interest - I've got a few ASEs myself.

I just hope whoever wins that auction is an educated collector that understands the role of TPG companies, appreciates the likelyhood of additional coins being certified at the 70 level and feels the registry value (or ownership satisfaction) is worth the price.

-JamminJ
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Bubbles are excessive demand for things that are not really in short supply like

It remains to be seen if the coin in question does or not. >>

I was reading about the tulip craze a few months ago. I think the US coin market follows the tulip pattern fairly well. In the US market there are coins which are plainly common just as there were common varieties of cheap tulips. However, some connoisseurs value certain mint state or proof grades over others as flower connoisseurs valued some slightly different varieties over common tulips. Speculation is taking prices for common coins in preferred grades to amazing heights, and one day it will all come crashing down. Some coins will hold their value reasonably well even after the crash, as did some tulips. >>

I can understand your thinking on this, and would even agree that the prices on some
    moderns seem "excessive". But there are many moderns which are very difficult to find
    in attractive condition which bring very little premium except in the very high and rare grades.
    So long as there are some coins like this it's difficult for me to believe that there is much
    danger of these crashing. It also seems unlikely the overall modern market is in much danger
    when you consider that these are still essentially specialty markets. There are very few who
    deal in or service these markets. These are not the earmards of most speculative markets.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    For $1150 or maybe less, I would most gladly enjoy finding say, a scarce date Gothic florin which is truly a no questions, MS66 or better. Hmmm. Can't wait for that new Spink.

For $1150, I will spend my cash on 'REAL' rarities, not "MANUFACTURED RARITIES"
  • Options
    Gee Mac C.. did that get you excited? It did me but I can't play in that price level for coins. My problem and I would play if I could. Not for ASE's!
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    Yet another example of craziness -

WOW!

The title says 1953 but it's actually a 1983 set - I then did a search on the bay of e for 1983 proof sets and there are about 150 listed with most going for less than $10 (with shipping!). Can someone please explain the logic of paying 5 TIMES the going rate for a very common proof set?!?!?!
    Cecil
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    How about this one, Newbie.......

Manufactured rarities find their value in the coin marketplace through the economic principle of,

SUPPLY AND DUMB-MAND
  • Options
    Sorry Mac C if I offended and I did not understand your reply. I was trying to say if I had that sort of money I would be in the World Coin market to find some of lovlies I have seen on here.

It doesn't look like I know how to make a proper replyimage
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    I wonder what the lightside forum members would have posted in response to this topic????
    I didn't want to create any bad blood over there so I stayed away, but I still wonder what the reaction would be.
    Shep
  • Options
    1957joe1957joe Posts: 608 ✭✭
    it is too bad that things go for that kind of $$$. Unless you have a box full of them!
  • Options

<< <i>How about this one, Newbie.......

Manufactured rarities find their value in the coin marketplace through the economic principle of,

SUPPLY AND DUMB-MAND >>

What is different about the current coin market and the tulip market is that, as Mac points out, one can manufacture rarities in the coin market. The same coin in a PCGS MS-70 holder will almost always sell for more than it will in a PCGS MS-69 holder. Tulip merchants couldn't "crack out" bulbs and try for a different variety classification, but coin speculators oftentimes do try to get grade bumps by resubmitting the same coins. This doesn't apply only to moderns, either. A 1793 cent the Early American Copper crowd said was VF-35 got a bump in price when it came back in PCGS AU-55 plastic.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    shirohniichan
    My miss understanding of the reply. It was not meant negative other than I just don't like/appreciate the hyper grading I have seen with USA coins and TGP services. I do NOT mean I am correct, it is just my feelings.

No offense meant.
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    Shep - there is a raging debate that frequently flares up about moderns and condition rarities vs truely rare coins. Any response or thread that you could post over there would simply fan the flames and bring it back to the top of the discussion list. It can sometimes get ugly, bloody and downright nasty, so I usually stay outta that war!

I also believe that anybody has a right to collect what they want and if they have the means to pay that much for a CONDITION RARITY then more power to them. I personally would not drop that much cash on that coin, but then I know a lot of people that would not drop the cash that I have on IHC's (or any of the other coins that I collect).
    Cecil
  • Options
    Dragon -I agree that the flames would be fanned with this topic on the lightside - I also agree that to each his own on the coin collection front - that's what makes it so interesting on this side.
    But, Silver Eagle Coins has a MS69 graded Silver Eagle for less than $50.00 - why would a single point difference result in over a $1000.00 increase in value - I would bet that most of us could not tell a MS69 from a MS70 coin. I know I couldn't.
    Shep
  • Options
    Believe me Shep, discussions of this nature are the bread and butter of the liteside, and you can count on at least one good, long thread every couple of weeks debating moderns, condition rarities, and the role of TPG companies in creating markets.

The opinions voiced in these threads run the usual gamut--from the well thought out replies (such as our friend, Cladking) to the knee-jerk, let's stir the pot, idiot missiles.

That this thread maintains a civil discourse is exactly why I like it here on the Dark Side.

Clankeye
  • Options
    Shep, I bet nobody could tell that one point of difference in grade. That's what makes it a manufactured rarity. And what's worse, there are hundreds, or thousands, or hundreds of thousands of the exact same coins (after all, they come from the same mint, for the same collectors, manufactured to the same specifications) waiting to be slabbed. I also don't buy the argument that slabbing "protects" the coin and "keeps" it in that same condition forever.

Newbie, you've offended noone!! Also, I doubt you misunderstood anybody's remarks. We're all on the same page here.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    Newbie, you've offended noone!! Also, I doubt you misunderstood anybody's remarks. We're all on the same page here.

Exactly-- we're on page two.

I was only pretending to be offended. If there were clear, universally recognized grades I don't think there would be as much controversy. However, when one grader's MS-68 is an MS-69 at another time to another grader for the exact same coin (and there's a $1,000 difference in price), we have confusion.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Thanks to all who responded - I have enjoyed this expression of opinions in, as clank pointed out, a very thoughtful manner. Thanks to cladking for his thoughtful comments on another point of view. This is what makes this a discussion rather than an argument.
    Shep
  • Options
    Shep - there are very few people anywhere who could tell you the difference between a 69 and a 70. The price is driven (I believe anyway) by two factors:

1. It is a condtion rarity (note that I did not say it was a rare coin!), i.e. there shouldn't be a whole lot of them available
    2. The registry and the ability to say that you have the 'best' (read highest graded) set available - i.e. it is purely eqo driven competition that has ceased to be about the coin and is completely about the number that someone placed on the slab!

The problem that exists with this sort of thing is that you could crack that same coin out 10 times and send it into any of the grading services and depending on the lighting and the mood of the grader that day, you might or might not come back with a coin that grades MS70! In fact, I would be willing to challenge anyone to take thier top pop coins (according to any of the grading services), crack them out of the slabs and resubmit them to see if they come back with the same grades. I would be willing to bet that the majority of the coins would not come back with the same grade! I hold this as a fact because so many of the dealers in the liteside coins are 'crack-out artists' - meaning that they are continually breaking open slabs and resubmitting the coins just to get that one grade bump. And why do they do this? Because there are enough people waiting in line (with thier egos in thier hands) to pay for that 1 extra point on the slab so that they can say they have the BEST!

All you have right now that is supporting all of these high prices and fantastic differences in prices for the one grade bump is the OPINION of the graders at the TPG's. I admit and I agree that these graders are supposed to be the best, but they can still only render an OPINION about the grade of the coin. There is nothing repeatable nor scientific about the process! And, given that it is a subjective opinion, it is neither right nor wrong - it is simply an opinion!

On the flip side of that argument is the question - Can we make it scientific and reapeatable? The irrefutable answer to that question is always no. Sure, you could measure the strike and see if it was complete, you could record dings, bumps and other imperfections and you could also probably figure a way to measure the luster of the coin (although that woud get a little tricky when trying to distinguish between a polished coin and a highly lusterous coin), but the one absolute thing that cannot be done scientifically is EYE-APPEAL. The reason being obvious - eye-appeal is purely subjective and is based on the values of the person who is deciding if the coin has the look that they want - witness the constant back-and-forth arguments and discussions about the toning issue over on the liteside boards! So you could assign a 'technical' grade to a coin based on measurements and scientific findings but you really cannot assign the overall grade to the coin because you would have to leave out one of the biggest 4 grading values of the coin.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that a lot of people are 'betting the farm' based on that 1 point difference in grade. They do so because they believe that 1 point difference is 'right', when in fact, it is simply an opinion and as such, has no basis in either right or wrong and is subject to change without prior notice or warning.

My basic belief on this issue is that one of these days, people will wake up to this FACT and we will see a major adjustment in the price differentials between the grades (especially at the very highest grades).

I have to go back to the best advice I have ever been given since I got into this hobby - buy the coin and not the holder. If you personally can tell the difference between a 69 and a 70, then buy the 70, but don't do it because someone else's opinion of the coin and/or your position in a registry list is the main driving force behind your purchase of the coin!

One other thing that I would add to this is that the basic argument that I am making has nothing to do with whether the coin was minted 2 days ago or 200 years ago - the price differentials between the grades still exist and are still based on nothing more than the opinion of a very fallible human being!

I guess I will get off my soapbox and get back to work. Thanks for listening/reading my rant.
    Cecil
  • Options
    Excellent post, CCR! You elaborated well on many of my thoughts.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    Ccrdragon; Many fine points and as you note yourself these considerations apply to
    all coins regardless of age, but it is the older coins which are more likely to be repeatedly
    submitted in hopes of getting a "bump" in grade. It is the older coins which have the largest
    absolute increases in value at the high end of the scale.

Yes, it's true that grade is an opinion and to some degree this won't change, but this system
    was invented to explain the differences in prices between similar old coins. These coins vary
    in more parameters than most moderns and are graded accordingly. Coins can be graded on
    absolute scales if "problem" coins are omitted. It is largely the wide variation in surface con-
    ditions and preservation of the older coins that confounds attempts at true grading. This hardly
    means that there is no opinion involved in the grading of the newer coins, simply that this op-
    inion will tend to be more consistent. This is the largest reason that resubmissions are less com-
    mon for moderns.

You may not believe this final point is of real consequence, but it is. There are no MS-70 regular
    issue moderns. Other than a few one cent coins there are no MS-69 regular issue moderns. Many
    regular issue moderns do not appear as MS-67 or MS-68 either. These coins do not exist in these
    grades! Many of them are rare in the highest grade! And perhaps most importantly some of them
    are rare in the just missed grades too. There are even a few which are elusive even in nice choice
    uncirculated condition. People never bothered to collect these coins or to set them aside, and now
    after decades of being ignored they are finding some surprises. If you think the non modern col-
    lectors are surprised, you should see some of he things collectors are finding.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>For $1150 or maybe less, I would most gladly enjoy finding say, a scarce date Gothic florin which is truly a no questions, MS66 or better. Hmmm. Can't wait for that new Spink.

For $1150, I will spend my cash on 'REAL' rarities, not "MANUFACTURED RARITIES" >>

Yea, they don't make these anymore.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>Shep - there is a raging debate that frequently flares up about moderns and condition rarities vs truely rare coins. Any response or thread that you could post over there would simply fan the flames and bring it back to the top of the discussion list. It can sometimes get ugly, bloody and downright nasty, so I usually stay outta that war!
    >>

Actually that debate has been winding down on the lite side for a multitude of reasons. Probably
    the biggest is that the modern collectors are right and it's beginning to be more widely seen. There
    are many who hate these coins and hold the collectors in very low esteem, but this is not a particular
    problem for those who collect the coins any more. We can actually discuss the coins without interruption
    from the bashers usually.

When you think about it, what is the problem with collecting unpopular coins. We don't bash collectors
    of two cent pieces or Islamic coins so why attack people who like moderns?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    OK, Cladking. You've convinced me now---I want to collect moderns!!

In all seriousness, I've been collecting moderns all my life, since the mid 70s. I've been cherry-picking all the best coins from change, and I agree with you that true MS high grade coins are rare. One day, or one of these decades, I'll probably get a lot of them slabbed. I just think it's too expensive at the moment. And my coins aren't deteriorating, so I see no need to slab them.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options

<< <i>so why attack people who like moderns? >>

I do believe you can see the distinction between this thread and a thread which is designed as an attack against people who like moderns, right Clad?

I know you are use to fighting the good fight, but sometimes it's just not there.

I don't think anyone on this forum is attacking people who collect moderns. Any more than they attack slab collectors, medal collectors, or any other preference of collecting.

For the record I feel no different about this auction that Shep has highlighted than say... an extra $50,000 being garnered for a Standing Liberty Quarter having a full head.

I think to view this thread as any kind of inditment of modern collectors is taking it too much to heart.

Clankeye