Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GOOD MORNING CLASS "A field trip to PCGS!"

A guided tour of PCGS.

Our tour starts off in the reception area. It is a large room, decorated in gold trim and fine crystal. Pictures of the finest graded coins hand on the walls. The décor of the room shows the prosperity that PCGS is having.

Moving right along, we come to the receiving area. Large armored trucks arrive hourly from the Newport Beach post office. Packages are sorted by type of service and the coins are placed into different colored boxes. Any order that is not properly filled out is thrown into the “Screwed up order” pile. This pile gets looked at once a week (or when he gets released from the Betty Ford Clinic) by an unnamed employee. The colored boxes are loaded on to carts by their colors. Hanging on the wall is “The List”, this is the list of PITA submitters. If your name is here, your submission is marked with a big red X.

Now we are at the PCGS vault, this is where all your coins are stored. The Vault is a large room with 5 foot thick concrete and steel reinforced walls. Other than the one light bulb in the room the only visible list is from the ventilation duct that comes out somewhere on the beach. When asked about the salty smell, our tour guide replied “Coins like the fresh sea air”.

Ah, the holy grail, the grading room (for bulk moderns). The smell of human sweat is overwhelming and all you can hear is the constant beating of the drum. The graders are shackled to the long table with a large belt running along the length of it. Above their heads is a single light bulb. A Marine drill instructor barks out orders, “Every 5 seconds, ladies. How friggan’ hard is it to grade a PR69DCAM!”. It is explained to me that David Hall comes here for recreation and whips the graders sometimes, usually on Tuesdays to prepare for Q&A, it puts him in a much better mood.

We then move on to the main grading room, all the devices for accurate grading are here. There are graders spinning Morgan’s around a Roulette Wheel, graders placing coins on a weegie board, graders using magic 8 balls, and the large dart board. I was very impressed with the modern grading techniques.

We then proceeded to the sealing room, right before we entered there was a hole in the wall, I asked what that was for. It was explained that if your order had a red X placed on it from shipping your best coin was inserted here for fingerprinting!

After sealing all coins are loaded up in a truck and sent to the primate house at the San Diego Zoo for verification. I was told that PCGS only hires the most intelligent primates to verify the grades and labeling on the coin slabs. The coins are then returned to the office and shipped back to customers.

Finishing the tour we went by a group of offices, I looked into a very large office with a balcony overlooking the bay. There was a man standing on the railing arms outstretched yelling “I am the king of the world” at the top of his lungs. I enquired who that was and was told it was David Hall having his daily moment of Zen.

The last office was a small room filled with computers, behind the deal sat a beautiful redhead. Yes it was our forum goddess Carol. Her desk was lined with monitors (one for each forum) and a single red phone was on her desk. As we chatted the phone beeped and blinked on and off. She explained that it was Cameron in the OT hotline and it had to be taken care of.

As I was getting to leave, I noticed a large steel door and asked where that went, “Oh, that leads to the catacombs. That is where sportscards, comics and stamps are graded.” That is it, my day at PCGS. I now feel so much better knowing how my coins are graded!
It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Hanging on the wall is “The List”, this is the list of PITA submitters. If your name is here, your submission is marked with a big red X. >>

Marty, where was the list that automatically gets all your coins graded AU-58?
    Bill Ferguson
  • Options
    see ya later Marty, been nice knowing ya!
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    You forgot about the wall of shame that has a picture of each banned forum member. I hope your picture doesn't get included!!!!!!!
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Would you like me to forward your mail? image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
  • Options
    Anyone care to start an over/under for how long this thread (and Marty)
    survives? I'll bet it is killed 15 minutes after PCGS opens up this morning.

Yes, it is funny (if taken as a joke), but I've been getting good feedback
    from PCGS on my submissions. I've been disappointed that a few coins
    I wanted to cross didn't make it, but when I was told why, it made sense.
    Let's not bash too harshly!
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    This would explain a few things.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • Options

I would like to know if you really can tour PCGS?
  • Options

<< <i>As we chatted the phone beeped and blinked on and off. She explained that it was Cameron in the OT hotline and it had to be taken care of. >>

image I have my own hotline? Cool.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    I think PCGS will take it as a joke. How can you take it seriously? I bet the thread lives.

I just wish they would beat the drum a little faster in the modern room so I can get my coins back faster.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL. I'll give it an "A". It would have been higher but there just isn't enough
    despair and hopelessness in the modern grading room. Carolj needs more lines.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm the only one still alive in my office pool. I said it would get pulled between 10:30 and 11:00 e.t.

The fact that Marty is a Cubs fan may draw pity from the judges. (or since it's only 7:40 am in Arnold-land).

I made a xerox of the thread for anyone who wants to read it after Marty packs up his stuff and moves across the street.image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    Wonderful satire, Marty. Let's hope that the folks at PCGS accept it as such and don't summarily ban you and the thread!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tremendous! I think PCGS has enough the confidence to allow any thread to survive that has merit . . . humorous or otherwise. On the other hand . . . just got 2/2 AT's on superb Commems that were taken from a nice original coin cabinet. Hm m m m m . . . a waste of $60 + P/H/I.

The writing here IS better than my sophs and juniors in English class though . . . .
  • Options
    Marty- I have to say that you must have taken good notes while you were there as your description of the place is right on. Except you forgot to mention the wall in the grading room with the picture and dealer number of known coin doctors and people who irradiate/heat proof sets in original cellophane mint wrappers in order to get the nickels to tone with wild colors.
    David Schweitz
  • Options

<< <i>people who irradiate/heat proof sets in original cellophane mint wrappers in order to get the nickels to tone with wild colors. >>

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe it takes 5 whole seconds to grade a PR69DCAM. image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marty,you still here?image
  • Options
    I am the king of the world” at the top of his lungs. I inquired who that was and was told it was David Hall having his daily moment of Zen

I was told he yells "I am king of the Universe", {Collectors Universe}
    of course.
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    All that, just because of the Morgan????
    But, I like it Marty.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Except you forgot to mention the wall in the grading room with the picture and dealer number of known coin doctors and people who irradiate/heat proof sets in original cellophane mint wrappers in order to get the nickels to tone with wild colors."

MS68 - Are you telling me the next time I go to the dentist for X-Rays, I can bring along a box of original proof nickels from sets and ask him to turn the machine on those nickels during his lunch break for his standard fee? I wonder if my Dental insurance might cover it, if I add my coins as an additional "family member" under my plan. image

Wondercoin

P.S. What next - "whitening" those slightly off-white silver coins while I am there as well?
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Efficiency - the American way. Glad to hear PCGS is run like all business should be.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Not too shabby Mad58, but it's not quite up to Clankeye standards.

Anyone who really thinks Marty would get sheetcanned for this needs a reality check!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Marty you still mad about that bb?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Marty,

You forgot the special room where Accented Hair Kennedys are graded. I'm hurt.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Ahh, definitely good satire!
  • Options
    Marty--

When your ancestor, Mad Martin of Mumsford, first set sail on the POS... he had no idea that one day his family line would turn out a great writer of satire.

He would be very proud, Marty. image

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Clank,

See what happens when you take a few days off! image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    10:04am, still ticking.
    DSW
  • Options

<< <i>You forgot the special room where Accented Hair Kennedys are graded. I'm hurt. >>

Russ he didn't have time to go to the bathroom.image
  • Options
    Although the thread is still here is does not seem MadMarty has responded for a while!! Maybe he can't respond??

I can think of a dozen reasons not to have high capacity magazines, but it's the reasons I haven't thought about that I need them.
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    Either his light is on or he left the refrigerator door open again.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options

<< <i>Russ he didn't have time to go to the bathroom. >>

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    You guys sure are mean.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Marty, it sounds like you didn't enjoy the body cavity search, since you didn't mention it.image
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I'm still here alive and kicking! That sure was a strange dream last night!

<< <i>"Except you forgot to mention the wall in the grading room with the picture and dealer number of known coin doctors and people who irradiate/heat proof sets in original cellophane mint wrappers in order to get the nickels to tone with wild colors."
    >>

MS68, you swore on a Accugrade grading book, you would never tell that you passed your secrets on to me!image

It had nothing to do with the BB of the 89-CC, just was a tad bored today! I did get an E-Mail from King Neptune of the Enn Gee Sea and he said he almost pissed in his pants, and wonders what I have in store for them!

• Options
    Marty- Are you telling me that YOU are the one that committed the dastardly deed of toning the "jellybean" Jefferson nickels?
    David Schweitz
  • Options

<< <i>Marty- Are you telling me that YOU are the one that committed the dastardly deed of toning the "jellybean" Jefferson nickels? >>

No didn't have to nature took care of it for me! But I have never heard of them called Jellybean Jeffersons!

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "But I have never heard of them called Jellybean Jeffersons"

I also heard the term "Easter Egg" Jeffs. image Anyway, assuming radiation might work as a toning agent, there might really be truth to the "nuclear" market we are in - at least for the "half life" of the coins image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    "I was very impressed with the modern grading techniques."

SO AM I!!!! image
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I bury proof sets in a box of thousands of old Timex watch faces. The Radium that made them glow in the dark works very well for creating
    beautiful toned Jeffersons.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Nice work, Marty!! Funny!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Dead man walkin'...
    Just My 2 Cents,
    Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7
  • Options
    Say Hi to Greg.

• Options
    I'll go!
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

image Great thread!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Clankeye, come back we miss you!!!!

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    So Marty, do they charge admission, and is there a bowl of samples slabs near the exit door to choose from, and how about the gift shop?
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image very cute!

I knew they would keep it up - Absoltely nothing wrong with this thread!??

When your ancestor, Mad Martin of Mumsford,

....funny Clankeye now just come back too or marty will do this weekly, and really get bootedimage

Marc
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    That was FUNimageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file