Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Yawn! This place is a real sleeper lately.........

.....and the major dealers do not post as much as they use to. Whats going on?

Comments

• Options
    It's football season?

CSI is on tonight?

All the big dealers are at their annual secret meeting, where they draw lots and the losers have to post to the forum for a year?
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    What Clankeye said.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been very boring lately...and most of the dealers seem to have disappeared.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Yeahm What happened to Legend? She was good for some interesting discussion and controversy. Maybe HRH gave her a good spanking.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Coming here for a dealer, is like getting a good enema.

Once will last you for a good while.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    There seems to be an ebb in civility on this board lately, and I'm sure that while there are many members lurking, they are not participating for fear of embarrassment at the hands of some of those here who cannot seem to find "anything nice to say about anything".

We should be trying to help newbies or those who are moving to a new series by kindly answering questions...all the while realizing that we were all there at some point. Many of the standard question threads that are brought up by newcomers are looked at as groaners by many of the old guard, and any posting by a newbie that shows a coin will instantly be open for someone to show off a $1000.00+ coin that makes the posters coin look like a rusty washer. If the high buck coin isn't enough, usually the comments on these threads start out with civility, but rapidly turn to a feeding frenzy with comments like "cleaned junk, I wouldn't buy it, retoned, not worth the money, etc.. If you really want to help the guy out, keep the comments in a helpful tone, or better yet, offer to sell the guy a quality coin at a reasonable price (you know...way below greysheet, like you always buy yours for).

Until the coin collecting elite realize that the future of the hobby in general, and the sales of their coins in particular, are based on the nurturing of new collectors, forums such as this will be cold and foreboding places. If you want our hobby to turn into a social club for an ever shrinking group of doddering geriatrics, just keep up the snobbery. Been to a stamp show lately...that's where we're heading!

Now these are just my opinions, but you asked why it was dead around here...and that's what I think!
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options

<< <i>and any posting by a newbie that shows a coin will instantly be open for someone to show off a $1000.00+ coin that makes the posters coin look like a rusty washer. >>

Amen, brother. All my coins are "rusty washers."
    Alpha Mike Foxtrot
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << and any posting by a newbie that shows a coin will instantly be open for someone to show off a $1000.00+ coin that makes the posters coin look like a rusty washer. >>

Now that is funny!! LOL

Tyler
  • Options
    What Blackhawk said!
    Joe
    P.S. Hi Carl!
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blackhawk....I can agree with MOST of what you said but here is where I respectfully disagree.... if someone is asking for opinions on a coin I feel we owe it to them to be completely honest. I have been guilty of saying "cleaned and re-toned" once in a while. And believe me I try and hold back.

Case in point and I won't name names.... A member posts a coin he's thinking about buying asking for opinions and asking "Is this original?" Everybody starts oohing and the big ahhhs and saying it's original.

Then here comes stman and goes against the grain and says it looks too electric for a circulated coin to look like that and appears to be cleaned and re-toned. So yes I looked like the jerk raining on the parade and being negative. After a couple PM's with this member he really wanted the coin and a week or so later he gives me a PM and said my opinion was dead on and it was indeed cleaned and re-toned. I usually don't reply to many of those type of threads, or the original versus dipping and such because folks know my tastes. But yes I agree to just come in and knock a coin somebody is proudly showing is tacky. But if they ask "What you think" then they need to know.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    the market is HOT HOT HOT and the big dealers are too busy making deals right now

or in some cases banned for bagging on ...
  • Options
    I believe that the schedual has just become a killer. There are too many auctions to cover,

too much traveling and too many shows to attend. Add this to the paperwork and bussiness at home to

catch up with and you have bone deep, crushing fatigue, that is difficult to shake off. Add to that the rather

spirited discussions on the Forum and you have dealers with the need to cut back some, on something.

The dealers have lives, children and obligations and sometimes it becomes just too much. Let them rest

for a time and they shall return refreshed and feisty.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Yeah, where's a dealer when you need one? Um, what was it that they're needed for?
  • Options
    Perhaps some prefer to read and not post. Don't want to risk getting punted or humiliated.

Bulldog
    Proud to have fought for America, and to be an AMERICAN!

No good deed will go unpunished.

Free Money Search
  • Options
    Stman...I don't think that there's anything wrong with giving someone an opinion of a coin if that's what they asked for, but it might be overkill to have a two word post ...Idaho Baker", on someones thread showing the first toned coin that they ever bought.

Many of the "big guys" could post a picture of a coin that looks like the Pabst neon sign in the window of the local roadhouse and just about everyone would ooh and aah and tell the guy what a good eye he has. But...six months down the road give that same coin to a guy with a handle like "new-to-coins" and the minute that he posts the pic, the forum members will be at the verge of congesting the internet trying to be the first to rip on him with an AT post.

All I'm saying is that if you want more involvement on the forum, treat others decently and respectfully.

Lest you think that my ranting is groundless, I've been putting out some trial posts from time to time to see what happened, one of the latest being about grading a 1911-S cent. Now the posts started out fairly well, but quickly went from bad to worse. I was almost tempted to make up a shill account and write a post on the thread about the coin looking like it was "sandblasted and then drug behind a gravel truck" just so I could one-up the last few posters. I thought that it was pretty humorous.

Insulting somebody and then saying that you were completely honest while doing so stills leaves you with an insult. Try telling your wife that she's fat and then using the line about being completely honest...I bet that it won't matter to her, she'll still be insulted.

"Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    You can get humilitated here? Aren't we one big happy disfunctional family?
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    From a "newbie" to the forum, (but not coin collecting) "Blackhawk" makes an excellent point. But I still think the forums can be alot of fun!image But There are a few that just do not have a since of humor, and don't take to being the butt of jokes.image There are also some that come off very "pompous" and arrogant, and that will definately get things going when those particular members feel that they are being picked on.image
  • Options
    I guess abuse and humiliation, may be among the unique charms of the place.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>Try telling your wife that she's fat and then using the line about being completely honest...I bet that it won't matter to her, she'll still be insulted >>

I would never say something like that. I would tell her she looks good for a fat girl.image
  • Options
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options

<< <i>Many of the "big guys" could post a picture of a coin that looks like the Pabst neon sign in the window of the local roadhouse and just about everyone would ooh and aah and tell the guy what a good eye he has. But...six months down the road give that same coin to a guy with a handle like "new-to-coins" and the minute that he posts the pic, the forum members will be at the verge of congesting the internet trying to be the first to rip on him with an AT post. >>

Now this I have seen more than once. People here sometimes won't speak up if it's one of their own.... but let it be a stranger or a ebay seller that they don't know and doesn't post here, and they will rip them apart.
  • Options
    Being a newbie to the forum(s) I made the mistake of posting a new Walker I had just purchased over in the Registry Forum, (1935-D ms66 PCGS), where I thought it should be posted, since I am listed in the registry sets, (Wheat's Walkers), and keeping with the "so-called" rules by not getting OT. Naturally I was very proud to be able to finally acquire this hard to find Walker in this lofty grade. But I only had one person comment on it. Could someone tell me what the problem was? I thought that is what the regitry forum was for, and where you should post new coins? I figured that maybe it was because I was new to the forum. But I can assure you of this, I don't visit the "registry forum" any longer!image
  • Options
    regitry board sounds about right image I never go there either its usually dead.
  • Options
    Puff....you are not off topic by posting your coins in this forum. That's as on topic as you can be. Post away!!!!
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    More Puff for me!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options

<< <i>Puff....you are not off topic by posting your coins in this forum. That's as on topic as you can be. Post away!!!! >>

I don't know how to place the pic's the way soe of the others do. You'll have to click the attachments.image
  • Options
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Nice coin puff image
  • Options
    Placid you slow-poke!!!!!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    Hey that's a nice one. Of course you know I like the toned Walkers. If you need some help posting the image in the post like Lucy was so kind to do for you... just pm me and I'll walk you through it. It's only a couple more steps.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.image Lucy how did you do that? Show off!image
  • Options

<< <i>Hey that's a nice one. Of course you know I like the toned Walkers. If you need some help posting the image in the post like Lucy was so kind to do for you... just pm me and I'll walk you through it. It's only a couple more steps. >>

Thanks "stman", I'll take you up on your offer about the PM, if I don't fall asleep!image It's 1:30 A.M. back here in puckyhuddle Missouri!image

P.S. Glad there's others that liked toned walkers. That's all I collect!image
  • Options

I've only been a collector for two years and joined this forum six months ago.
    Yawn? Sleeper ? Hey, I've learned more about coins in six months on this board
    than most collectors do in six YEARS !
    Sure there are a few snobs and a few looking for an arguement, but the majority
    here are genuine human beings who are more than happy to share their knowledge.

If this isn't exciting enough, try kick boxing or tornado chasing.
    I'll stick around here and learn something and, if possible share a little.

Skipper

If life wasn't complicated, it would be a bore.
  • Options
    BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    It's just a shame some of the best forum members have felt the need to take a break. Mark Feld was a huge loss! Legend ( Laura) does not seem to post much anymore, and I certainly can not blame her. She is a favorite dealer to attack around here. Adrian does not post as much as he use to, etc.
    I started this thread just to stir up a little debate and see what other members thought. It seems I am not alone in my thinking.

BTW, I can understand a dealers need to take a break for the forum. They work in numismatics all day, why would they want to talk coins in their down time? But something is wrong when the collectors here need to take a break. Ifor one. use this froum AS my break!
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yawn! This place is a real sleeper lately......... .....and the major dealers do not post as much as they use to. Whats going on? >>

c'mon dude! they keep banning members who've got something controversial to discuss!

K S

• Options
    Puff- A fabulous Walker in a tough grade for the date. I love buying the Walkers dated prior to the Short Set. Much lower Pops for better prices. Relative BARGAINS compared to coins from the Short Set. One of THE most attractive designs produced by the mint. Thanks for sharing the very nice pics.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    perhaps many of the dealers who come here to "enlighten" us realize that they haven't really cornered the market on numismatic knowledge. as in all human endeavor, pride and ego play their roles here and it eventually catches up and levels the playing field------those who don't like the bruises will leave to a place where they feel more needed and appreciated.

stman makes a pertinent point in the direction of the "good ol' boy network" and cronyism. oh well, that's an issue that takes time to figure out and ignore. my approach is to state my opinions honestly and tactfully without being mean-spirited. it works some of the time.image i've noticed that in those threads where the praise is being layered on with a trowel about a coin which appears wrong that if a members disagrees properly, others will chime in.

then again, maybe when this place starts to drag on slowly, we each turn our energy to some other facet of our crowded lives!! work, family and life-in-general.

al h.image

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    someone PLEASE start a thread with a title asking "did i get screwed by such & such co.'

PLEASE!!!

K S
  • Options

<< <i>Puff- A fabulous Walker in a tough grade for the date. I love buying the Walkers dated prior to the Short Set. Much lower Pops for better prices. Relative BARGAINS compared to coins from the Short Set. One of THE most attractive designs produced by the mint. Thanks for sharing the very nice pics.

image >>

Thanks DCAM.image
  • Options
    here comes stman and goes against the grain and says it looks too electric for a circulated coin to look like that and appears to be cleaned and re-toned

You gotta call em as you see em! Better someone learn they have been ripped off sooner versus later. Think of how many people learn through these posts what a cleaned coin looks like. The more you see you better you get.

Some prefer to have their ego to be left intact and be ripped off buying coins. Personally, I have been corrected 2-3x about bad coin purchses and learned. The "offenders" while brutal saved me thousands of dollars.

I say the dealers are burned out and busy. Remember we just got through almost 4-5 major auctions and a major show last month.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do some always have to complain? yadayada always complaining always finding things that need fixin' , always making statement what can be better, and what is no good......no names really just a general observation. Maybe if we would just be happy, harp on the good things we've got - we'd be a much happier crowd as a whole.

Life is short - be happy!

Marc
  • Options

<< <i>Nice coin puff >>

Ho hum and yawn...just another super grade nicely colored Walker imageimage

That coin is sweet !!image
  • Options
    There are a lot of shows lately. I've done 2 in the last 3 weeks and I have 3 more to do this month. Shows also keep you tied up for days after the show is over. There is new stuff to process and deals to compete that started at the show. I think that is why it may be a little slower here, but don't worry that will change when the show schedule slows down a little.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Dealers? You can find plenty of them posting over in the registry forum. image

On the subject of opinions on posted coins: If I post one and ask for opinions, (and I happen to be a newbie myself), I'd rather have an Stman in there giving me an honest evaluation than a bunch of others blowing smoke because they're concerned about hurting my feelings. Oohs and aahs are nice when warranted, but they do nothing for knowledge enhancement when they aren't.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ,

Your current cool coin looks like it was baked in a sweet potato
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Your current cool coin looks like it was baked in a sweet potato >>

Clearly, you know nothing. It was a Russet!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This forum seems to be in something of a transition. In the past most of the talk
    seemed to be centered on slamming people, things, and ideas. It certainly made
    for a very vibrant and exciting board but it tended to keep away many newbies
    and potentially valuable members. Many still feel that there is little point in risking
    ridicule and slamming when most of what they can get from this forum they can get
    without posting or registering. It may not be as exciting or as active now as in the
    past, but in time there should be much more participation from a much more diverse
    collector base.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Being a "NEWBIE," I see it somewhat like this, "If it's too HOT in the kitchen, get the hell out." This applys to newbies, oldies, bleeding heart liberals, and those ever popular, sensitive folk. These FORUMS, and I emphasize forums, are like the gladitorial arenas, that's why they call it a FORUM. For the newbies, like myself, get a grip; for the oldies, grow gray hair, die, and leave your legacy/coins to me; for the BHLs, go talk to Slick Willy Clinton and break his balz for a while; and for the sensitive types, I suggest you contact your therpist immediately. This is merely MY OPINION, since the folks in this ARENA seem sooooooooooo highly opinionated...image..Now, what was the topic?
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    It's likely that most dealers are lurking in the shadows rather than posting and having their opinions challenged as if they were personal insults, and getting flamed. JZ
  • Options
    razorface, as a child you must have played with yourself alot...no pun intended.
    "Have a nice day!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file