Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just Got out of The Hospital! Virus Warning!

I was just released from Intensive Critical Care after 3 days for a viral infection that some how made its way to my heart and liver almost immediately. Very scary stuff. It started with a 104 degree fever on Thursday and by Friday night I was having cardiac complications. Sunday morning I was admitted to intensive care and all the necessary tests were run, I spent 3 days hooked up to every imaginable device while I fought off this infection.

Luckily, I was able to fight it off, though it has left possible permanent damage to my heart.

Moral of the Story -- Becareful when it comes to viral infections, they can be just a flu, or can be much more deadly!

Michael

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to hear about your illness, I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Options
    Sorry to hear about this FrattLaw image
  • Options
    Welcome back! Get well soon so you can start buying coins again...image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Glad your on the mend, we missed you and hope no serious harm was done

that your body cant heal.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Whoa, that's scary! Glad to hear you're on the mend, FrattLaw. Do what the nice doctor tells you in order to heal completely. image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Whoa, that's scary. I'm glad you are doing better, I hope there is no permanent damage. Mark
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Hang in there Frattlaw. My father got a virus that brought his heart down to about 25% capacity, but he is now healthier than ever (despite the reduced heart ability).
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's the second "virus" related problem I have heard about today. Another one started out as a virus, and appears to have been either viral menigitis or west nile virus (tests still being performed).

Get well.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    holy sh1t
    i am really sorry to hear that
    i wish you well michael
    and hope everything is unremarkable in your next follow up!

respectfully
    michael
  • Options
    was it the sushi?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Michael,

Any indication what type of virus? In my area, Meningitis has made it's way through a couple of the schools, both Viral and Bacterial. It's pretty scary stuff for the kids and families that are going through it.

Glad you're okay!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

Wow - sounds like SARS has come to the Valley.

Get Well Soon
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    those Barons are a tough lot image

glad to hear you made it through
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feel better, Mike! If you learn exactly what happened, maybe we'll call you FrattDoc image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very spooky stuff. Welcome back!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sucks! Glad you're better & make sure you get good after-care!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Glad to hear that you're OK! I was just wondering this AM when I got on the computer at 4:00, why you had not posted anything in a few days. Take it easy and get well soon....Ken
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    And I was just about to call you to see if everything was okay. Not like you to disappear from the radar scope. I certainly hope you're doing better soon, and won't bother you while you're coming out of it. When you feel better and get caught up on everything let me know. Godspeed, Michael.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    My Wife recently suffered Congestive Heart Failure. Which is what occurs fllowing the viral infection. The actual mechanics are: 1. Blood is drawn into the chamber. 2. the heart squeezes the blood in the chamber. 3. Not all the blood drawn in is pumped out. Doctors reffer to this as the ejection fraction. Most people are running a 60% ejection fraction. My Wife got down to 35%. The upsetting thing about this is that it happened to her as shw was being cared for by her OB during her most recent pregnancy (We have two other children). So now thanks to the incompetancies of the OB (Who was pushing fluids - WRONG) I have a new baby, a Wife who has and will always have diminished heart capacity, and all the chores etc that go along with the loss of her contributions....

PS I don't want to hear about how it could be so much worse. I already know that. My beef is that the Physician missed this diagnosis more than four times despite my Wifes continued complaints that she was out of breath, feeling like she was going to drowned, and exhibiting pitting edema...What a sham!!! Quacks! Oh yeah, Coin related...I had to cancel two transactions with fellow board members to pay for the housekeeper, Home health care nurse, etc.
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    Michael,

I'm so very glad you're on the upswing and survived OK. My thoughts are with you.
  • Options
    Michael:

Glad you fought it off - and hope you return to a normal life real soon. image

Gerry
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael.

Glad to hear you are all right. Will take your advice with prudence...

John
  • Options

• Options
    My father in law was miss-diagnosed for cancer for over 7 months, even with MRI's, bloodwork, etc. He's now got 2 months to live....

I had a similar issue with the heart fratlaw, right before I got married.... try to stand up the 2nd day you had it... that was me on the alter....lol... long story short... I had 7 cavities filled 2 weeks before my wedding... bateria from my mouth infected my heart valve (I have mitro-valve prolapse) and put me on the floor 2 days before I was to say "I DO"..... found out the reason "why" 2 years later.......
  • Options
    I just wish someone would help us pin these snakes (OB DR.) to the wall so we can skin them and feed them to the dogs....

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Glad your feeling better. Scary stuff! Know your body and don't second guess something different.

My room had ceiling tiles with 379 (+or- 2) small dots on each one. How many did yours have?
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FT

Is there a name for this virus?
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Frattlaw - I'm glad you are feeling better and pray that the heart condition will be minimal.

My wife was mis-diagnosed with colon cancer that had spread to her lungs. Had a lobectomy (removal of part of the lung) and it turned out to be only a mild case of pnemonia. Doctors should be very careful with their diagnosis.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    We aught to be able to sue and win big. In my business, you don't get but one chance and if you blow it they have no problem giving your job to someone else. What a scam! Most Dr. are not worth the paper thier hypocritical oath is written on.

• Options
    Glad to hear you are on the mend. That is scary, and I hope you will be all fine!
  • Options
    Happy to hear that you are on the road to recovery

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    Add my best wishes to that of the rest of the forum! image

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    Michael, Hang in there buddy. Take your time and recover completely.image
    Gary
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I know the feeling...

get strong buddy.....

you have much Coffee to smell......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FrattLaw: I'm sorry to hear about your illness, and am glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery.

Thanks for warning us about the virulent strains out there which seem to keep getting stronger and more dangerous... image

I wish you the best of health image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Michael,
    Glad you sold me that camcorder when you did image I might have missed out had I waited.

Glad you got over the bug - when you find out what it was PAH LEEESE tell us!
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Glad you survived, FrattLaw! Take it easy and take your vitamin C.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    glad you are better Michael.

Up here in Puget Sound area (Seattle), we have been hit with a few viral infections....meningitis, harsh flus, pneumonia, etc. When I got hit by something 3 weeks ago, I spent the entire weekend at home, shivering and sweating almost at the same time. I got lucky. Only took me from Fri night-Monday morning to get rid of it. My 19mo baby got hit with it for 1 day. Doctor said that really young kids kick it much faster.

Take care on your recovery!

Ron

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>My Wife recently suffered Congestive Heart Failure. Which is what occurs fllowing the viral infection. The actual mechanics are: 1. Blood is drawn into the chamber. 2. the heart squeezes the blood in the chamber. 3. Not all the blood drawn in is pumped out. Doctors reffer to this as the ejection fraction. Most people are running a 60% ejection fraction. My Wife got down to 35%. >>

That's exactly what I got down to the ejection fraction -- however, the next 6 weeks will tell how much of the function I will recover. There's a chance I can get back to 40-50% once the heart muscle has a chance to heal.

To let everyone know, 10-15% and you're not walking around anymore. 35% is about half way there.

Good-luck Meos1, I know exactly how she feels and what her concerns are.

Michael

• Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    glad to hear the worst seems to be over, hope you are back to 100% and searching for those toned peace's soon.

z
  • Options
    Hang tough...we need you back at the Anaheim shows...and thanks for the nice 21 toned Morgan off ebay.
  • Options
    Hi Frattlaw. I'm very saddened to learn of your ordeal. By GOD's Grace HE pulled you through. I'm very glad that you are on the road to recovery. Things like this tend to make us STRONGER not weaker. Our perspective often changes as a result (for the better). Though it was a horrifying situation, you have actually been given a great gift: the gift of LIFE and opportunity to go forward with such a potent experience to guide you. Think George Bailey. May GOD's blessings continue to be with you as you fully recover. imagematteproof.
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    all the best to ya !
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    Michael, PM sent.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    ahah Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    frattlaw, sorry to hear about your health situation.
    It came on just as a flu bug? Scary stuff.
    Wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Al
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take care, Michael. That is terrifying! So glad you're on the mend.
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Hang in there ... thank goodness it is hard to do in a Hoosier! image
  • Options
    Hey Michael! Sorry to hear that you have been through all that but i'm glad to hear that you're ok!

There has been an unusually high number of illnesses at my office and at home - my wife was sick for 4 days with some kind of virus that had her on the mat, physically. She didn't eat for at least two days. Several folks at the office have also been really, really sick with flu like symptoms that were intense but didn't last long.

(I'm too mean to get sick!)

adrian
  • Options
    Yikes! Glad to hear you survived... best of luck on the recovery.
  • Options
    Glad that you are back, and able to talk about it.

Speedy recovery.

Bulldog
    Proud to have fought for America, and to be an AMERICAN!

No good deed will go unpunished.

Free Money Search

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file