Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you think this walker is MS-62?

nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
Here's a twist to the old guess the grade. Here I tell you what the slab says and ask you if you agree...

Comments

• Options
    could go 63
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    Thing is, the luster and strike is really good on this one. I just wonder if the contact marks would downgrade it that much. I'd think high end 63 as a bottom. I've seen lesser eye appealing walkers in 63 and 64.
  • Options
    i may be overgrading but i say 64 or a light 65
  • Options
    When I first evaluated it, I considered it a 64. The luster is great, the strike is great, but there are those marks. Without the marks I'd say lock at 66 so I downgraded it to 64. I don't see why they thought 62. Are the marks that detrimental?
  • Options
    i say they dont bring down the eye appeal enough to take 2 points off
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    These generally come well struck, so with this one that's not a bonus. I do think that MS62 is too harsh based on the image. I'd go 63, shot 64.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Looks like a 63+/65 but I guess the large number of contact marks on the skirt, the two in the right field and the one in the sun rays are worse than they look--that said, a very nice looking coin.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    The marks aren't as bad as you think. The picture is actually pretty close to a fair representation of them. I've seen similar skirt marks in 64-65 walkers. The right obverse field is where most of the distracting marks are but they really aren't that bad in person.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a lock 64 to me. Am I missing something???

David
  • Options

<< <i>I've seen similar skirt marks in 64-65 walkers. >>

It also has quite a few dings in the rays, liberty's arm and the eagle's leg. Still not enough, IMO, to put it at 62 though.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    CaptainRonCaptainRon Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Unlike of few of the S and D mints in the 40's that are known for weak strikes, the 44P is not. The eagles breast looks soft to me, as does the breast on liberty.

When I look at on the front of a walker, the first place I look is in the right field, above in god we trust, then hand, the head and breast then skirt. Then finally over to Sun. Everywhere I looked there was very noticeable hits, except the head. On the reverse it looks as if there are many small hits along the eagles leg Though it is a very nice looking coin, I can understand the 62, but I am by far no expert.
  • Options
    I appreciate the comments, guys. Even before posting this I wasn't thinking of cracking it out. More of trying to understand the grade thinking. Like I said I thought it would be a 64 and I could see a 63. Just didn't see a 62.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also vote for 63 shot 64.

The obverse looks better than a 63/64 but the reverse does not look quite as nice as the obverse. Difference in the lighting?

Correction: I now see a major bag mark on the obverse in the flowing flag. This will limit the grade to high end 63.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    The lighting was the same, but the adjustment for the reverse was a little different than for the obverse. I'm still learning the nuances of my new camera.
  • Options
    Here's an MS64 of the same year and mint for comparison:

On the above, the strike is weak for the issue, which is what put it in a 64 holder.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think it is... who cares what the holder said... even if it isn't 62!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Correction: I now see a major bag mark on the obverse in the flowing flag. This will limit the grade to high end 63.

In my opinion, the grading service might have overreacted to that bag mark and gave it a 62.

The reverse does not seem to have quite the luster of the obverse.
  • Options
    That is a great walker. I can see the weak strike making it a 64. BTW, the luster on mine is more similar to yours. I soften the light when I photograph to bring out detail at the cost of luster.

• Options
    RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    I would grade this a little higher than a 62, but I'd argue that a 64 might be pushing it due to the chatter on the obverse. I'd call this a net 63.
    Brian
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Neil,

It looks like a solid 3 to me. Nice coin despite the hits.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    I'd say the rim nicks are maybe enough to lower it a little -they are one of the most important parts of the grade. With the other contact marks in the fields and the other things that have been noted....I'd say 62 is about right but it could get a 63 if resubmitted.

As a wise board member once said....

"If the grade don't fit...you Must resubmit!"
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the grade. Major hit in the field is extremely distracting. Skirt chatter, hits in the sun, hits everywhere. I also see a touch of rub or roll rub in liberty's breast, if this coin were cracked and resubmitted it might come back AU55, IMHO.

p.s. sorry to be such a party pooper image
  • Options
    By the way, what generation PCGS holder is this coin in?

Keep in mind that the hits look very distracting since the coin is blown up to a very large size. If the coin were resized to normal size then I think the naysayers would reconsider.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Dip it, like what happened to Russ's coin and it will remove the mark on breast and obscure some of the nicks due to the flashiness and voila!!!!!! It will be a 63image-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    The coin is in a modern sealed NGC slab. I bought this coin thinking it was a 64 and submitted it to test my grading. I thought they were a little harsh on it. Like I said, I could see a 63 and agree with it, but 62 seemed a bit low.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file