Carlos,

Keep the faith (and the set!).

Paypal send in your name brother!

God Bless,
    Mark Wingard
    Former ebay ID jjtmmw@aol.com
    New ebay ID mkwsportscards
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    OUR WEDDING DAY:

CHRISTMAS 2001:

AYDEN AND CARLY

• Options
    Carlos,

Have not been on the boards lately and just read this heart warming post... great to see the support and out pouring from the members of this board.

KEEP the set (You have already given up one nice set image )

Just remember to keep the faith and that nothing is worth more than today .

A paypal is coming your way!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    You are tall, that much is for sure! Cool family pics.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    CARLOS - Nice pictures of you and the family. In the 2 you were in you are smiling. So keep up the smiling and before long your problems (financial & health) will be behind you and a distant memory image ...jay
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Excellent pics carlos---

How about everyone plan on meeting at the national next year for a dinner for carlos. That would be a great time getting everyone together and helping carlos out at the same time. I am from the indy area and i will definatley be there. Just something to think about.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I have just had a communication from Michael and Brian Wentz, and on behalf of BMW Cards will be sending a contribution to the fund in the hopes for your speedy recovery
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    It is understood that everyone means well on this board. Aside from Carlos's willingness to share his experiences with us, please be mindful that the HIPPA regulations apply to public message boards when discussing other patient (s) medical histories/information.

Sincerely,

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    just got back to reading the boards, great thread, very moving

donation will be in the mail, god speed and keep the faith

fred
    55 topps all american collector and Larry bird collector
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Have you emailed this thread to 5 other collectors today? It would also be great if you could build awareness by linking this thread to your auctions.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carlos,
    My contribution is on it's way. I actually bought my first PSA graded card from you on ebay about 2 years ago. You and your family are in our prayers and our hearts. I would think that most of the people of our society have had to deal with cancer at some level. I wanted to quickly share one of my experiences. In light of the reminder of confidentiality I got the permission of my father before sharing this. My Dad was diagnosed with colon cancer in 1983. The doctors told him to go home and make sure his will and affairs were in order because the cancer had already started to spread. They were going to do no surgery, or even therapy. I was only 10 years old, but I will never forget the night my Dad came home from the doctor. He had us all get on our knees and join hands and we prayed. My Dad is a very emotional man, he cries almost every time he prays, but this time it was different, we all cried. Later that night, through some circumstances that are too detailed to share here, my Dad found himself praying for a child that was in danger. The person he was praying with stopped and told him, "I think God is going to heal you." To make a very long and personal story short, my Dad called his doctor and demanded that they do surgery. Several weeks later the doctors performed a full, unreversibly colostomy on my father. When they went in, they found a small tumor the size of a walnut, with nothing in his lymphnodes. He never had any chemo or radiation. I have to admit that I'm crying now, but that will be 20 years ago in October, and I thank God every day that my dad is still with me. Prayer does work, we may not always understand it, but it does work. I have also had loved ones that were not "divinely healed." But I have seen the hand of God in each of these situations.

I hope that i have not offended anyone with my story, I realize that this is neither the time or the place for a "sermon", but felt that I should share my Dad's story, and he agreed.

As for the members of this board. I am a minister and I am constantly trying to urge people that if each of us will look and reach beyond the small sphere of our own circumstances that we can make enormous differences in the lives of those that surround us. Thank each of you for being unselfish and concerned. Reading this board is always fun, but today it has been inspirational.

Thank you,
    Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    Abe,

Thank You...That was a WONDERFUL READ!!!

Carlos
  • Options
    AMEN ABE!!
    www.LloydWTaylor.com
    Vintage Baseball Cards
    Sales and Ebay Consignment Service
    email
    Lloyd_Taylor_Vintage_Cards -- on Ebay
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pics Carlos. Putting a face with the posts really makes it seem like more of a reality than just sitting in front of this computer screen reading. I pray the best for you.

I'm sure Carlos would be too humble to accept this, but I propose that we plan a $50 per plate dinner during the next National with all proceeds going to his medical bills. I will be there in Cleveland and I would love to attend. Maybe somebody in Cleveland can set this up at a place that could accomidate all of us and maybe the establishment could cut us a deal on the food costs so as to provide more of the money to go to the good cause.

What does everyone think of that?
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Wow you are tall man!Tall enough where you don't need a ladder to paint the ceiling.

Last night another donation was made and a little more to come soon.

BTW- I realize my 3 auctions are not really much more to add to the #s but if anybody wants to do something although can't do much you'll get a few nice cards.

• Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    To all,

I have been on vacation--just returned home but am going on a three day weekend. I see the topic and would like to contribute. Without reading the 165 posts, can someone tell me what would be a generous donation?

Davalillo
  • Options

<< <i>To all,

I have been on vacation--just returned home but am going on a three day weekend. I see the topic and would like to contribute. Without reading the 165 posts, can someone tell me what would be a generous donation?

Davalillo >>

most of the donations have been in the $25 to $100 dollar range.
  • Options
    Dav in my opinion a generous donation would be whatever you can afford. I am sure whatever it is Carlos appreciates it.
  • Options

<< <i>Dav in my opinion a generous donation would be whatever you can afford. I am sure whatever it is Carlos appreciates it. >>

well said.
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Okay--I commit to give $100--who do I make the check out to?

Davalillo
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Jim,

Thats to Frank Bak.... ohhh...

I mean...

Carlos D. Aponte
    2218 Deerfield Drive
    Ashtabula, OH
    44004-9233

or PAYPAL

aponte@adelphia.net
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options

<< <i>Here is my address and PAYPAL info...(I'm only doing this because my wife has a gun to my head)

Carlos D. Aponte
    2218 Deerfield Drive
    Ashtabula, OH
    44004-9233

PAYPAL

aponte@adelphia.net >>

• Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Jim,

Thats to Frank Bak.... ohhh...

I mean...

Carlos D. Aponte
    2218 Deerfield Drive
    Ashtabula, OH
    44004-9233

Do not trust anyone named Frank!image
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    Do not trust anyone named Frank!

Unless it's Fabfrank image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Carlos:

Please accept our donation for you and your family. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you during your recovery.

Dave and Kelly Read
    Dave
    1973 Topps PSA 9's+(retired)
    1986 Topps PSA Perfect(active)
    1997 Flair Legacy's(active)
  • Options
    coachhcoachh Posts: 529
    Carlos

I juat paypaled you $$$ from the proceeds of my auction. Take care of yourself and your family.

Rob
  • Options
    Coach,

Thank you very much.

All,

I just got off the phone with a reporter from our local newspaper. He told me that he had received an email from someone and asked if he could come over and do a story on the subject. We have scheduled a meeting at 4:30 on Monday. When the story is printed I will post a link to it (if it makes the online edition.)

Also, please know that I am still in the mist of responding to all of your emails. There are a lot and I am not the best typist so it is taking me some time.

Thank again for keeping our family in your thought and prayers.

Carlos D. Aponte
  • Options
    Hope you don't mind Carlos, I contacted the Star Beacon last night hoping that this will get more exposure that additional people can help out if they wish, as in others who have been posting to other sports boards throughout the United States.

Dale B. Wedge

[See Email Below]

Subject: A Great Human Relations Story View Full Header
    View Printable Version
    Date: Thu, July 31, 2003 8:02 pm
    To: <editorsb@starbeacon.com>
    Priority: Normal

There is a man in Ashtabula who is fighting cancer and got on the PSA Web
    Site stating that he was going to have to sell his 1972 Topps Football Set
    in order to help defray medical costs and to have funds for his wife and
    two children.

When he mentioned this on the PSA Web Site, all members quickly came to
    his rescue. People are sending him funds through paypal, auctioning off
    sports memorabilia, and just going way above board for this person.

I have dealt with him through card collecting and he is a class act.

Go to www.psacard.com and go to the message board for psa registry. His
    first post is at the top and there are now over 130 listings of people
    that are helping this person. Alot of members are also putting this on
    other sports boards throughout the United States and it will be
    interesting to see how much money is going to be generated for this fine
    man and his family.

Best,

Dale B. Wedge

1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
    1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
    Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
    #15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
    #23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
  • Options
    This post has slipped from the top spot. Let's keep it locked to the top for a while longer.

Carlos

Thanks for posting the pic's of yourself and your beautiful famiily, you are truly blessed.

Rob...image
    Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    Thanks to the powers that be..

Rob..
    Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    Hi Carlos,

Just became a new member on this PSA board today, but I've been reading the board often for about a year now, I was encouraged by all the PSA members on this board, that I also paypal'ed you a small contribution yesterday to help with your goal. Never give up the fight, Live for your children and be encouraged because everyone is one your side.

God Bless!
    (John 3:16-17)

Jery
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

Roastedcat,

Welcome to the boards!!

I wonder how much response you will get on your user name??image

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    Just back from vacation ... blah, blah, blah ... anyway ...

As Frank Bakka will attest, a few months ago when plans were being made for a social gathering at the National, I had a wild plan that since I couldn't get there myself, I would send you all a trans-Atlantic drink. Anyway what with the PSA luncheon and all, the plan never happened.

And now I'm glad it didn't!

The $100 that would have bought beers for you guys is now going towards Carlos's medical bills. And I don't expect to hear any complaints!

On a personal note, while the majority of people who sell cards on eBay will not ship outside the U.S., Carlos Aponte is one of those class acts who has enough faith in his fellow man to ship wherever card collectors find themselves (like Ireland!). And I would like to think that this is his reward for his faith - in his time of need, his fellow men (and women) are more than prepared to do what they can to help.

Take care, Carlos

Jonathan White
    Baseball HOF Autographs
    Topps Baseball 1967
    Mike Payne's 300 Great Cards
    MVPs in their MVP years
    and T206???
  • Options
    Jonathan,

While helping Carlos is an extremely nice gesture - can you really compare that against buying beer for "the guys"???

And yes... Jonathan had contacted me 6 or 7 months ago and had a plan in place to get the bunch of us loaded. But, when the PSA registry luncheon came up - I suggested that we should already be covered.

Maybe next year, we can talk him into coming over the pond so that we can buy HIM a pint!
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    <can you really compare that against buying beer for "the guys"???>

It depends on how badly the guys need the beer now doesn't it?

In all seriousness, please email 5 people today with this link.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
  • Options
    Sorry for the empty post... heh...

Carlos, you and this board are an inspiration. I've sent a small contribution privately, but mainly wanted to post publicly to say how very happy I am to have found such a great group of human beings.

I'll be keeping Carlos and his family in my thoughts. Thank you all for reaffirming my faith in the goodness of humanity.

best,

Morrie
  • Options
    Carlos,

I just sent a note and paypal donation. Keep pressing on!!

Jeremy
    missinglinks

Currently working on:
    *1941 Double Play
    *500 Home Run Rookie Cards

Always Upgrading
    *1954 Dan Dee
    *1959 Fleer Three Stooges
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Should have read this post and / or related threads earlier.

Anyway the contributions, auctions, expressions, etc. are fine ideas. I shall send a donation this weekend.

I have been lucky enough to have bought several items from Carlos and have had brief e-mail conversations. Without going into elaborate detail, I can sincerly attest he is one class guy.
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    Hi Carlos,

I know that you have been busy sending out replies, and are quite overwhelmed. I think I speak for many here in asking that if you get a chance, could you give us a status report on how this is going.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    Paypal sent.

Keep your chin up....we're your friends, and this is now a team effort.

This whole event speaks VOLUMES about you, and your character.

I'm pleased to be a little part of it.
  • Options
    I would like to thank everyone for your donations, well wishes, thoughts, and prayers. The responses have been overwhelming. Your words were wonderful to read and very inspiring.

I just finished replying to all 151 emails and donation that were sent. We enjoyed reading your letters and your posts on this thread. In the near future I hope to begin to contribute more to these boards and offer some insight to this wonderful hobby, grading, trading, and collecting in general.

Although everyone deserves a special thank you for helping me keep my 1972 Topps Football set, I would like to extend thanks to Alan (acowa), Jeff (bigkidatheart), and rw2win for getting the “Save The Set” fund rolling. I would also like to thank those who began selling some of their cards in my name, so I could keep my cards. Incredible!

We have gone back and forth in our minds wondering if accepting these donations was the right thing. Receiving your gifts was very hard for us to do. We are truly humbled by your kindest.

Before I get too long winded here, I would like to add, for those of you who ventured over to this thread to read my story, and to those who only read the boards but do not post. Please know that your thoughts and insight to the hobby would be most welcomed here. As you can see this is a great group of people, and we would love you hear from you about the hobby we all love.

With Warmest Regards,

Carlos D. Aponte
  • Options
    <<< I just finished replying to all 151 emails >>>

Sorry Carlos,that comment is humorous and priceless,despite of the content and purpose of receiving 151 emails, in the first place.

Right now, with everything going on, now is not the right time to hear stories in the adventures of building your 74 set.However,don't hesitate to ever talk about things like that to get your mind off of the hard part of this situation anywhere, or anytime espically if you need to.

It's comforting to know the 151 emails were inspiring words of encouragement provided for you, and it's a pleasure to know they are a small portion of helping you through this difficult time.

You are a staple in the hobby and your here to stay for a long time!

God bless....

• Options
    Friday August 01, 2003 7:32 PM

Roastedcat,

Welcome to the boards!!

I wonder how much response you will get on your user name??

Vic

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Tipem

Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    Everyone,

I just finished giving an interview for our local newspaper, and I'm a bundle of nerves right now!!! The interviewer seemed really nice and I hope the angle of this story is geared to thoses who really deserve the recognition. ALL OF YOU!!! It has been a very long time since I've given an interview, and you just don't know how these things will turn out.

If he writes the story tonight it should be ready for tomorrows edition. Here is a link to the Star Beacon

Carlos
  • Options
    ASHTABULA STAR BEACON

Help is in the cards

By CARL E. FEATHER

Lifestyle Editor

CARL E. FEATHER / Star Beacon

CARLOS APONTE holds one of the 351 football cards in his 1972 Topps set.

Thanks to a compassionate community of sports-cards collectors, Ashtabula resident Carlos Aponte has played his trump card against cancer.

On July 29, Aponte, 36, posted the following message on the Collectors Universe message board:

"Will entertain offers for my 1972 Topps Football set. Click sign line below to view. If you are interested please PM me or email me ..."

Aponte's reason for selling: medical bills. Aponte, a former standout athlete at Ashtabula High School, was diagnosed with mycosis fungoides, also known as T-cell lymphoma, on Dec. 19, 2002. In early January, his children, ages 4 and 5, found their grandfather, Aponte's father, dead of a heart attack. Between the funeral, medical expenses and missing three months of work because of the effects of chemotherapy, the family was drowning in bills.

The Topps set was like money in the bank for Aponte, and it was time to make a withdrawal.

"We fell behind on our bills and took out a loan to try to get caught up," he says. "We didn't want to be in that position, and I knew we had the set. ... I knew it was valuable, so I tried to sell it."

Aponte's interest in the 1972 set, one of the last years football cards were issued in series, went back to childhood. His brother, Jayson, collected football cards, and Aponte recalled with great nostalgia the happy hours spent looking at those cards.

Five years ago, Aponte began to assemble a complete 1972 Topps set. He accomplished that just four months ago. But he did more than put together a complete run of cards, he assembled the highest-graded set of its kind, 8.75, in the registry. Of the 351 cards in the set, only two are graded a seven. The rest are higher.

"It's a wonderful set," says Aponte, a Saybrook Township resident. "I can say its the best in the world."

Helping hands

The inquiries started to roll in within minutes of posting the set on the message board. But they were not what Aponte had expected. The offers were donate money to Aponte so he wouldn't have to sell the set.

"Maybe we can all chip in and send him the value of his set so can keep it???" posted rw2win, who tossed in the first $25.

Thirteen minutes later, another collector committed $25. Three minutes later, a third collector tossed in $25.

And so the afternoon went. Collectors, many of whom had helped Aponte build the set through trades and sales, sent money through Pay Pal. Others requested his home address to send checks. Still others put cards and other sports memorabilia on Internet auction sites and committed the proceeds to Aponte.

Within a couple hours of his original post, Aponte was faced with difficult decision: Should he and his wife Kimberly accept the donations and try to keep the set, or should he refuse the offers of assistance and push for a sale?

At first, he refused the offer.

"I typed on there, 'I don't want to do this,'" he says. "But they were really adamant about it. I told my wife I would rather get the amount of money I think I could get for the set and be done with it."

"The way I look at it, if someone at works falls ill or has some bad luck, everyone at work will get a card or bucket and pass it around," he adds. "This is a way for them to grab a bucket and card and pass it around."

The donations came throughout the afternoon and evening. $10, $25, $50. One collector pulled together $150.

"Oh my ... I still don't know what to say except for THANK YOU. You have now got my wife in tears." Aponte wrote on the message board four hours after the initial posting.

A week later, Aponte is still getting donations. He's had one from England, several from Canada and scores from the United States. Sunday morning, he answered 151 emails.

"A lot of people emailed me and wished me well," he says. "A lot of people shared their stories with us. The well-wishes alone have been great."

He won't say how much has been donated thus far, but he does say it is short of the $20,000 the cards would have realized if sold separately. Nevertheless, he's practically begging his fellow collectors to stop sending money.

"I don't want any more," he says. "That's one of the things I really want to make clear. This is about those guys. We do not want any more donations. We do not want to be deemed a charity case."

He says the donations will be used to pay down his debts. He is still receiving chemotherapy and is not out of the woods yet, he said. However, he is back to work and feeling stronger.

He says the outpouring of gifts is a demonstration of the close friendships that develop in collecting communities and the way collectors look out for each other's collection.

"They really didn't want me to sell the set, that was the issue," he adds. "I really think they just wanted me to keep that set intact. It is for now, far and away, the best set like that out there."

• Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Way to go Carlos

Great article! I want everyone to know, that I am proud to be associated with this community. You guys are great Americans.

rw2win, props to you my friend, great idea.

Be well Carlos

RobBob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    I second RobBob,

But, I know that my own fear was that Carlos would sell the set and then we'd lose touch with one of the nicest guys on the board! And we can't have that!

Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Be strong carkim.

Very cool article, btw. Perhaps paypal's PR department would like a story such as this...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Well the auction for the 72 Bob Lilly psa 9 just ended.SUPERPUNK WAS THE WINNER. $142.50 heading your way Carlos.thats to all that bid of course superpunk also quaility cards ,sdwetzel and special thanks to to ohdpumkin for not retracting your bid like did to superpunk (added to my blocked bidders list as well).Want to point out not only did Paul win this auction he also ran 1 himself hats off to a class guy. he is also a great seller by the way.CARLOS take care off you and the little ones.will stay in touch image BY THE WAY I NEED 55 AA,S PSA 9 image CARLOS ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!