Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who did this? And why?

Thats what I always think when I see a coin like this - a rare and very valuable NJ copper (a similar piece, sans scratches, brought $26,000 at a Stack's auction not so long ago):

imageimage

Was it some colonial era idiot killing time at some boring job by scratching the crap out of a rare coin ?

Or maybe it was someone who really hated horses? Or shields?

Or maybe someone's wife who caught them cheating and sought retribution by defacing a rare coin in their good-for-nothing husband's collection?

Comments

• Options
    Who knows? Maybe these pieces will be worth a premium in the future because of the historical "scratches", ah the mystery!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You found my coin! That's a work in progress!

Please ship to:

Jeremy Katz... image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    That last sentence is pretty bad. Maybe another good reason to have a slab?image

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    could it have been pre-strike planchet flaws?

would need to examine coin closely in hand to determine that.
  • Options
    they didnt know it was rare back then it was money maybe some one dropped it and it was steped on and someone draggged it accidently with their shoe?
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Maybe they are marks left by a shovel while digging up coins?

Brian
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either way, I don't find these old scratches as offensive as I do on Contemporary coins. In some ways it gives the coin character and I like the way the pricetag drops significantly.

peacockcoins

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the coin was scratched twice. Once before much of the wear and again
    after it was no longer circulating. The older scratches seem to have less uniformity,
    so they are less likely to have been intentional. It still looks pretty good considering
    all the scratches.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Its a case where the scratches lend creedence to the coin. They almost compliment the coin.

What a great find. It cleaned up pretty dern well too I think.
  • Options
    Yep - those scratches definitely messed that one up.

I'll give ya 10 bucks for it if you'll pay the shipping? image
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    By the way, and as with most of the pics I post in here, I don't own this coin.
  • Options
    Who knows, maybe it fell out of some cavalry officers pocket and got run over by
    a carriage before a sharp-eyed little boy picked it up and showed it to his coin-
    collecting father. Hey, anything's possible!
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Somebody did it with a knife, you can see by they way the scratch leads up to the high points and skips over the back of them-------BigE the CSI coin guy----------image
    I'm glad I am a Tree

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file