Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you enjoy Isabella Quarters, you might like this one.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I came across it while browsing through eBay and thought I'd link it for some forum critique. The obverse tone just rocks and the luster is superb. Judging from the scan, most of the scratches are on the holder but I think the grade was held down because of the chatter in the reverse fields. One day I'll snag one of these, but this beauty is just a bit to rich for me now.

Any comments on the coin or the issue? Rather a unique denomination for commems and the detail on the coin is one of the U.S. Mints better efforts, IMHO. I'd add that I had the pleasure of seeing a raw coin about 4 months ago that a collector had at a show which was evenly toned on both sides as this obverse is!! Pure eye candy!!image

Al H.image

Comments

• Options
    I really like the looks of that one, esp since it's in a holder. The toning is fantastic. There are so many scratches in that photo though, it's difficult to tell whether it's scratching on the holder or die polish lines or both.

This one went yesterday for a cheap price, but for that kind of money, raw is a bit iffy on ebay. It sure has nice color, but this seller has a lot with similar nice colors, and nothing is ever holdered, which makes you wonder.

Nice piece though, and one of Barber's nicest designs in my opinion, esp the reverse.

David
    David
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    curious - i'm 90% certain that coin used to be in an anacs ms-62 holder.

K S
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I dig it!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Those obverse scratches sure look like slide marks to me...hope they're on the holder...
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    JxnBoy- The seller of the coin you linked offers a 15 day, no questions asked, full refund policy. That is about as liberal as you will find. For those that can determine NT and grade proficiently, that is a nice opportunity.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Truly a beautiful example. I finally picked one up a few weeks ago from Bill Jones, nice original toning. Thanks for sharing, Al.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    I think the Ebay Isabella came from David Lawrence for $650. I`m pretty sure it`s the same coin. Nice profit!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WAY too many marks for me. If this coin were not attractively toned, it would have ended up in an MS-62 holder.

Thanks for the citation, Outhaul. I like the one you purchased a lot more than this one, and you paid less.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ClausUrchClausUrch Posts: 1,278
    Way too, too many hairlines for a 63 IMO. I wouldn't pay nearly that much for the particular coin.
  • Options
    billjones is right. as i mentioned to keets via pm, i'm virtually certain the ms-63 isabella linked in the 1st post used to reside in a anacs ms-62 holder.

K S
  • Options
    any comments on the issue? does anyone own a nice example thaat they care to post a picture of?

al h.image

edited for spelling. Miss Trepepi would have been embarrassed!!
  • Options
    Yes Keets, I enjoy Isabella quarters.

I like Isabellas, I have a collection of them. They come in all
    colors. I have a real thing for that coin. To me its the
    prettiest commemorative. Mint state ones with a little toning
    can look absolutely superb in an NGC holder against that white
    background. We have all seen how popular quarters in general
    have become since the introduction of the state quarter program.
    Moderns and the silver Washington quarter series has exploded,
    standing liberty quarters are going out of sight.

So I am wondering, have any dealers noticed a pickup in interest
    in this particular commemorative quarter perhaps due to a spillover
    of interest as well from the state quarter collecting?
    "location, location, location...eye appeal, eye appeal, eye appeal"
    My website
  • Options
    I like the colors on the ebay coin. The album slide marks are a little distracting. The NGC probably bumped it a grade for the outstanding eye appeal rather than the technical merit. Still it is really nice and would be a coin I wouldn't mind owning.

I got this one from Coulport not too long ago. It is in a PCGS MS64 holder.

• Options
    lovely, just lovely!!! show me more.

al h.image
  • Options
    Here's a nice (almost) white one that hasn't been dipped. It has a really pretty, creamy, original luster. I had to have it when I saw it! I particulaly like the reverse on this one as it is very well struck. Many times the reverse is very flat on these coins. It's MS64.

Andy image
    We are finite beings, limited in all our powers, and, hence, our conclusions are not only relative, but they should ever be held subject to correction. Positive assurance is unattainable. The dogmatist is the only one who claims to possess absolute certainty.

First POTD 9/19/05!!

• Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    I love that coin oldcameoproofsguy. I prefer it to the one in the opening post.

I have always had an affinity for Isabellas. My first encounter with one was going through my late Uncle's coin collection for his family (this was quite a few years ago). He was kind of your typical grab-bag collector. A lot of large cents that were well circulated--even damaged. But... he had an Isabella in a little paper pouch. Looked pretty nice so I sent it off to PCGS. It came back a 65 (I guess it left a 65 too, they just confirmed it).

That was when the market was hot. It was a $6000 dollar coin at that moment in time. My Uncle's widow opted to hang on to it. Now my nephews own the coin.

I've owned at least four examples over the years. Great coin. Would like to pick up another someday. Oldcameoproofsguy yours would do nicely.

Clankeye

Edited to add--Yours too Bob/Outhaul. That's a nice piece.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options

<< <i>I got this one from Coulport not too long ago. It is in a PCGS MS64 holder. >>

stunning coin, absolutely stunning. it should be cracked out immediately & placed in a holder worthy of the coin's beauty.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file