Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Oh nooooooo, my Ebay account has been suspended! Another update - I've been re-suspended!

I just received notice from Ebay that my "pop1eye" account has been suspended due to "feedback abuse", presumably as a result of my "friendship" with "scamcrook".

At the time of my suspension, I had 191 positive feedbacks from 146 "unique users" and 3 negatives from 2 "unique users" who are no longer registered, since they were suspended by Ebay, for the very activities I gave negative feedback for.

I hope that the suspension was initiated (not by anyone here who disapproved of my activities but) by seller smac33328 who was very angry about having received negative feedback from "scamcrook".

That feedback was posted, to warn others about the seller's attempts at deceiving people in various ways, regarding a replica 1889-CC "dollar" AND listing completely bogus, wildly inflated "retail" values for coins, which had no relationship to anything, much less the coins he was offering.

Here is just one example of how this guy works. In the auction linked below, he lists a "RET" price of $1150 for a coin which appears to be high grade AU or low grade MS, at best. Please explain to me where he got a "RET" value of $1150?! You can't, because he didn't get it from anywhere - he made it up.

I apologize for venting - thanks for listening.

1879-O dollar listing with completely bogus "RET" value of $1150

Comments

• Options
    Mark,

Here's the truth. eBay will rarely go after the people that actually do the fraud but they will almost ALWAYS go after the people that try to do something about the fraud. If you want to sell on eBay, it's best to let the system run the way it is, stick with your own stuff and not pay attention to any of it. I tried to get involved to no avail. eBay simply doesn't care.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>my "pop1eye" account has been suspended due to "feedback abuse" >>

eBay does this, yet they do nothing about the attacks on Eric coming from the slimeball Hager and his ACG minions? This is bullshit.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark,

Congratulations are in order. Ebay should give you a medal for your service...or maybe a job as a consumer advocate!
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw that happened this morning, Mark. Unbelievable! Ebay really is like the Wild West, with punishment just saved for "troublemakers and outside agitators". Didn't they even warn you? image
  • Options
    Now you'll have to sign some stupid form saying you will not participate in feedback abuse again and send that in with your driver's license and two utility bills. A bunch of BULLSH*T is what it is, Russ couldn't have said it better. Yet they'll let the frauders sit on eBay using a credit card with someone else's name posting thousand dollar coins with PVC or alterations, good job eBay!
  • Options
    ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    Ebay and Yahoo are great for some people and I used to use their services. I could tell a dozen personal ' horror stories ' concerning doing business, on the buying side, but I am sure everybody has their own ' horror stories ' associated with Ebay and Yahoo.

Many people benefit from Ebay, but I now refuse to ever even look momentarily at their site, as I do not think it is worth the stress and aggravation that is a guaranteed certainty, if buying there, no matter what the product is.

This is just my personal view, as I know millions of people buy there daily. I saved a couple of BAD Ebay tranaction printouts from several years ago, to remind me never to use their site.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Yeah, I guess getting a bunch of your sleazy buddies to bid on a person't cheap auction items just to drop bogus negatives isn't feedback abuse. Aren't they wonderful?
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭
    Part of the passion of this hobby is that many times we feel that we HAVE to get involved when we see a bogus coin auction. I know it's none of my business, but I will email a bidder, yes a total stranger, in a second if I think they are being duped. Sometimes I hear back, most times I don't but at least I feel better for trying. Many times I email sellers about their claims that just can't be supported with facts. They usually respond that it's none of my business and don't bid if I don't like their item for sale. They taut that their $100 coin would be worth $30,000 crossed into a PCGS slab. I tell them "here's a quick way to make $29,900 - why don't you cross it first, then list it on ebay if it's that nice." They usually suggest I go forth and procreate my self. No doubt I'm interfering with a transaction I'm not involved with. I sleep better after I do.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Mark:

You have our appreciation here for what you tried to do. I guess eBay makes too much money off the scammers to let you keep doing it. imageimage

Chuck
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    cmon, dudes, you know by now that EBAY SUCKS.

K S
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    so now you don't have any? pop1eye was making them good money - how did they find the connection?

ran through different email addresses and the anonymous server in Europe weren't they -

are you sure it was relationship with scamcrook that got them mad?
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I don't know/understand how "pop1eye" got suspended, without notice, explanation or details, I might add. I wrote to Ebay to try to get some information and will update everyone when/if I hear back.

Thanks for the support, both public and private. And, to those who disagreed with my actions - I respect your right to disagree.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    More scamcrook for me!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Is it upload icon day? Your icon changed Lucy. image
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    Mark, are you scamcrook on ebay? I don't understand why they shut down your account.
  • Options
    NumisEd, they shut down anyone who calls attention to some of the large scamming sellers there. If you interfere with their bottom line, even when it is derived from scams like the CC replica, you are gone.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Mark, ebay should be grateful. Charlatans will always have a way to scam but thankfully there are those who are willing to catch them at their own game.

Neil
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    The phrase "No good deed goes unpunished" comes to mind.

Sometimes I think the Bay of Eee is more like the Bermuda triangle--a very strange place where the known rules of the universe are often suspended.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    Ebay sounds like a crock of $hit. I have never opened an account, even though I see many good items on there.

I guess it's true: the bigger you get, the more evil you become. Ebay can kiss my fat A$$
  • Options
    And they do nothing to protect or help honest sellers such as myself who come under attack from sleazebags. What is really going to be rich is if they remove that negative regarding the misleading CC replica auction. But they won't lift a finger to remove negatives like this:

thesourceforu
  • Options
    cherrypickincoin - you can change your icon every hour if you want - there is a large selection available on the CU server

MARK -> I hope not to point out the obvious, but are you sure your account has been suspended and not just some scammer trying to get your password? Have you tried bidding, if you go there does it say "not a registered user", are your ongoing auctions no longer listed?

I get notices every week or so saying my account has been suspended for some reason or another -> I forward the email to spoof@ebay.com and get a notice back in half a day or so saying "this email was definitely not from us, ......"
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Mark--
    I think you set yourself up for this by starting a thread yesterday saying you were enjoying your job and numismatics in general.

Once I said I was happy out loud. The very next day a load of nitroglycerin I was transporting by mule over a rugged mountain pass went off--blowing me to bits.

Never say you're happy. It's trouble.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    sinin1 - definitely suspended, but, I very much appreciate your having raised that possibility.

clankeye - good point but I still love my job.image
  • Options
    clankeye, I transport nitroglycerin for a living too! Small world. Only I don't travel over mountains with a mule. I deliver my nitro on pothole filled roads in my 1973 baby-blue Pinto.
  • Options

<< <i>I deliver my nitro on pothole filled roads in my 1973 baby-blue Pinto. >>

Eddie,

Hopefully you're also riding on Firestone tires.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Very sad news for all who support your efforts in the cess pool called eBay.image
  • Options
    My account (not poor scamcrook's) has been reinstated by Ebay. They did not bother to explain their reason for having suspended it in the first place, but, at least I'm back in business.

Edited to add: Ebay also didn't bother to reinstate my bids that THEY had cancelled.
  • Options
    Bummer that they didn't reinstate scamcrook. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Glad you got reinstated. Seems they at least owe you an explanation.

• Options
    It seams eBay is screwing the pooch alot lately.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Marc, I'm disheartened by every bad story I hear in reference to ebay (and there are millions, unfortunately). I'm sad honest people like you tend to get the shaft, and good and hard, at that.

It's some consolation that your account was reinstated. Please keep up the good work of outing fraud.

imageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭
    And only 6.75 for shipping. Thats only about 2.5 times what it really costs.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options

<< <i>And they do nothing to protect or help honest sellers such as myself >>

HONEST?!?!?!?! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

I've already outted you as a bald faced liar on this forum for your gouging of another board member!

Private feedback?!?!?!?!?!

Look out for this guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Stooge,

Eric's too smart to engage you. We all know and respect him, and you continue to pointlessly rant. I don't think it's particularly bothersome and applaud your tenacity, but at some point I would imagine even you would tire of all the wasted effort. Having someone care enough about your point of view to argue with you would provide you validation, so I certainly don't want to argue, but I would think talking coins would be a more interesting way to engage members.

Mark, glad they rethought their approach.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Mark, glad to hear you are reinstated. I think everyone at one time or another has been burned somehow by ebay. But like moths attracted to a flame we go back again and again. Human nature?

The dirtbag seller smac33328, has an auction where he claims a coin retials for $400 yet clearly written on the flip it says $150. Almost all of his auctions have this same tactic. He also runs all his auctions as private so others cannot be warned and they are easier to shill.

I hope Geraldo or scamcrook can be reincarnated?
  • Options
    Mark, "Can't keep a good guy down".image
    Gary
  • Options
    I am glad that you have been reinstated, Mark. Sometimes the good guys win! I mostly purchased Roosies and Kennedy's on EBay. Nothing too expensive, nothing too exotic. For awhile, I also purchased some higher priced Type. However, there were too many unpleasant "surprises" with more expensive coins. I will not bid on higher cost coins on EBay now unless I know or have experience with that dealer (i.e Legend). I have never purchased Raw coins on EBay.

Selling on EBay can be frustrating as well. I sold an 1851-O, Gold $1.00, Type1, PCGS-MS61 (lower MS grade, better date) on Ebay and had it come back because of "too many marks", despite clear scans of the coin, showing a majority of the marks. Plus, I had clearly stated "Sold as Slabbed" instructions. The buyer had been suspended from EBay but still was bidding actively on coins. How does this happen? As a result, I do not use EBay nearly as much now, as in the past.
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS-MS61 (lower MS grade, better date) on Ebay and had it come back because of "too many marks" >>

Unfortunately, there are plenty of buyers who seem to think eBay is an approval service. Anybody with more than an ounce of sense knows that a coin in the MS61 grade is going to be baggy.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Mark, some of us have thought that you were suspended in time and space

for a long time.Dont worry however, we here on earth still like you.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>And they do nothing to protect or help honest sellers such as myself

HONEST?!?!?!?! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

I've already outted you as a bald faced liar on this forum for your gouging of another board member! >>

You haven't done anything but make yourself look like a complete idiot.

The Thread

The Auction

<< <i>Private feedback?!?!?!?!?! >>

Oh, you mean this bogus feedback from Hager's stoolies?

The Hager Five

<< <i>Look out for this guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

Uh huh. You are just another one of Hager's plants trying to damage my reputation both on eBay and here, as well as RCC. In case you haven't noticed, it isn't working. People that have been here any length of time know better, and as DHeath said, I really don't need to engage a complete moron such as yourself. However, I feel it necessary to respond for the benefit of those who may be new here.
  • Options
    Oh, and by the way, my ACG website is not coming down no matter how much harassment is thrown my way, and as a matter of fact, I still have a two inch pile of damaging documents to work on that will be posted on it. The more you people push, the more that is going on that site.

Don't forget to give my regards to Al and Diane.
  • Options
    I think pop1eye might have gotten in trouble from buying the coin that was a Heritage auction sale picture running concurrently (some 10K Morgan)- and then leaving nasty feedback, just because a guy used a picture of a coin just like his - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    Unbelievable! - I received notice this morning that I had been suspended again, after having been reinstated just a day or two ago. Again, a form letter email with no explanation. image
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    round and round it goes, where it ends, nobody knows...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Well, they saw fit to suspend Mark's account and let the scammer go free. Check out his feedback now, private, with five negatives in the last week. Good goin' eBay.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who has used eBay many times, both buying and selling, I have come to the conclusion that I am better off having used it than not. There have been MANY items I have sold on eBay for good money that I could not have sold locally for diddly-squat. A while back I had a Tiffany Gold watch that I had attempted to sell locally. The highest offer I received locally was $125, essentially the melt value of the gold. I put it on eBay and sold it for $800. I had a sterling silver Parker 75 fountain pen. The highest local offer was $25. I sold it on eBay for about $175.
    I had a box of slabbed coins for sale. The local dealers showed no interest. I put them on eBay and had cash in my pocket within two weeks. I have had more than 1000 eBay transactions and of those perhaps a half dozen ended in great dissatisfaction. Fortunately, none of the bad transactions involved more than $50.
    eBay does have its problems. I have just learned to work around them.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    It appears Mark has been re-instated. His account no longer shows NARU'd.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file