Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opinion on FE cent please

BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
Would appreciate opinions on this coin.
First, grade?
Second, do you think it's an 1858/7? I can sort of imagine the 7, but I'm not sure. In its favor include the poor strike in the upper right, which goes along with the variety.
Also, thought it's a nice example of strike doubling on the date.

1858 FE obv & rev (50K)
Bigger obverse only (80K)
Blowup of date (20K)
Bigger date (34K)

Comments

• Nice doubling but you're right on having to use your imagination for the 8 over 7....tough call.

Hi yall. :-)
  • jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    Breen lists a #1934 1858 Small letters; rev. closed E's
    Business and proof strikes and proofs[80+?]. Minor doubled obverse dies are known: Wexler{1984}

Maybe, maybe not?!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see any sign of the overdate here. The coin probably has a double punched date, which is not unusual for this era.

The grade is Choice VF, but given the die state you would hard pressed to get Fine money for it. This coin is a prime example of why the Flying Eagle design was replaced after only a couple of years.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the photo's of the date, cant tell.
    Also cant tell whether it has the seperated wing tip (diagnostic for the 8/7) due to strike.

Coin looks like it is at least an XF, but with a horrible prephiery strike. worth No more than fine money as someone said because of this.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    OK, here's one more pic where I think I see part of a 7. Look within the loops of the 8 for what I think is the diagonal of the 7. I tried to mark it with red arrows, though they are off a little bit (never tried text before in Photoshop).
  • okay - I see it....looks like a diagonal when you get back from the screen, squint, and then tilt your head a little...in the right light....today anyway. image Also - out to the left of the top of the 8, you can just barely see/imagine the upper left end of the 7...right?

It's there - something's there anyway... but still a very tough call. There is nothing on the coin to use for validation of the overstrike. Good luck.
  • shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    The mark to the left of the date makes it look like an S7 (link).
  • like so... (click the image link at the bottom)
  • shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a close-up of the Eagle's eye, the S7 is also a DDO which your image shows on the eagle wings & date. The S7 eye is doubled to the southwest, which I think I see in your large image. I see the trace of the 1 to the left of the 1 in the date, but don't see the even fainter point of the seven to the right of the 8.
    Shylock - ask and you shall receive:

• mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    How do you do those hi-res close-ups?
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shylock:

Your a genious..........image

I'll check my coin next time the bank is open. I don't recall a remnant of a 7 inside the last 8 but you never know. That is an area of weakness in the die and breaks commonly occur there. If you think of what the die looks like, it's basically a tiny island of metal flush with the remiander if the field and prone to damage. I suspect that is what the 1888/7 S2 is really about but can't prove it to the experts.

Will let you know.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I don't know about the overdate but it's got some cool die clashing marks on the obverse! mike image
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Barry

Where is the die chip above the date?

Stewart
    Stewart - It doesn't show well in the pic, but this is where it appears to be. I'm not very familiar with the FE. Is this the right spot for it? If you can point me to an online reference that shows the varieities for this date, I'd appreciate it.

Mojorizn - I took the pic with my Nikon Coolpix 4500. The closeups are created by cropping the pic at full resolution (2272x1704)prior to resizing it to show the full coin.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stewart:

With the S7, there is no die chip.

Here are a couple file photos from my 1858/7 S7, MS63, EDS. There is no remnant of the 7 under the last 8, just the top right corner of the flag. The repunching of the eye is SW, not the same as yours. Also, check the lettering for doubling. Given the differences, I suspect that your coin is not a 1858/7 (either S1 or S7) but is interesting, never-the-less.

If you want to persue it, send it to EERC. Rick Snow is the attribution expert and will check it out for a small fee.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file