Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

artificial toning

Hi folks-new to your group and I hope to contribute over time, but right now
a little advice-what is the best way (or ways) to recognize artificial toning?
I recently purchased a nice trade dollar with blue and rose toning but after
reading some threads on AT, I'm becoming curious. Thanks in advance
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

  • Options
    Natural toning on a coin should be uniform in some nature. If you see sudden breaks in the toning and then it picks up again, it could be artificial. If you see very unnatural, crayon like colors, it could be artificial. It's rather difficult to describe without seeing enough coins to know what to look for. Natural toning should be deep, almost as if it's embedded in the coin. AT will lie on the surface, it just has a different appearance.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 25,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would add too your first concern would be authenticity as many counterfeit Trade dollars are making the rounds. If it is holdered by ANACS or PCGS or NGC you are safe on this account and probably ahead of the game regarding the toning too.

    Trade dollars generally don't come with abundant toning and I would be a tad suspicious if yours does. Generally AT on Trades is done not to enhance the beauty but to hide flaws. Either way, welcome to the Forums!
    Would you add detail to your post? What is the year/MM (as some are more readily faked then others) and if the coin is raw.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Lauren. The first thing I'd recommend is buying the AT video from the ANA. It's at the bottom of this page.

    Some things that are not absolutes but are hints

    1. Color crawls up over devices and back down
    2. Circus colors (super bright and vibrant)
    3. Abrupt color changes
    4. Signs of water tension on the surface
    5. Color sequences wrong
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928 ✭
    Welcome to the forum, Laurentyvan.

    Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425 ✭
    <<what is the best way (or ways) to recognize artificial toning?>>

    Welcome to the boards Lauren!

    As for your question, the answer often defies words or pictures.

    I guess the short answer it is: experience.

    We'll all do what we can to help.

    Can you post some decent pics of your coin?

    GSAGUY


    image
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Merci! The trade dollar is an 1877 with fairly deep blue toning around the edge of the obverse, perhaps a quarter inch in
    overall from the rim with hints of rose around the right hand and other devices.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    A big WELCOME to 'ya!
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732 ✭
    Welcome, laurentyvan! Can you tell us where you bought the coin?

    We ARE watching you.

    image
  • Options
    I would suggest some publications with pictures. PCGS has one that's out of print called "Coin grading and Conterfeit detection". Generally, AT looks like it's on top of the coin rather than coming from inside it....
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    thanks zman- I purchased the coin from a local coin dealer in Rochester NY. It was purchased raw
    and at the time I felt it might have been cleaned but the toning was pretty, the price was right ($95 in VF),
    and I needed it for my US type collection. I will be able to post scans in the near future but can't now.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732 ✭
    The reason I asked is that a great many Trade Dollars were counterfeited in the Far East during their circulation. It's one of the reasons the coin was discontinued (and demonetized). You'll find a host of sellers on eBay from Singapore, Malaysia, etc. selling Trade Dollars. VERY SUSPICIOUS. A horde of about 200 of them surfaced as recently as last year at the Hong Kong International Coin Show. I happen to have a counterfeit Trade Dollar that I paid $180 for!

    We ARE watching you.

    image
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    ouch! I am trying to assemble 4 US type coin sets (Dansco US type coin album) for my four children. The assumption is by the time I'm done the final one I asemble for myself will be the result of education, wisdom, and experience and presumably the best of the bunch.
    Don't mean to sound selfish, but...
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732 ✭
    laurentyvan: what a great idea! I'm also working on the Dansco type set. What I like about it is that it doesn't require you get "impossible" issues like the 1793 half cent, or every little variation in the Liberty Seated series. It's a very "do-able" collection. Mine is taking a while, though, because I'm looking for high grade coins.

    We ARE watching you.

    image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Pop quiz.

    image

    image

    Which coin is artificially toned and which is naturally toned.

    (Gsaguy is not allowed to participate. image)

    Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Zman-when I first started collecting I learned about graded coins. I thought, well, a method of scientifically and neutrally grading coins- no more doubts! But, it seems to me that raw coins sell for what they should (assuming they are legitimate and un-doctored) but graded coins in someones holder sell for much more. Is the assumption then that a legitimate coin-i.e. a graded one is worth more because of the guarantee (the holder) and an ungraded one worth less automatically? And if so, what does that say about published values that don't differentiate?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732 ✭
    Trick question, I think. They both look OT to me. image

    We ARE watching you.

    image
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    coin on the bottom is AT?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345 ✭
    Russ,
    The one on the RIGHT is NT, one on the LEFT is AT.image
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732 ✭
    laurentyvan: Ah, now you've opened a pandora's box. There are official grading standards set forth by the American Numismatic Association to which third party graders like PCGS, NGC, and ANACS adhere to. Those three are, in my opinion, the most reputable. The others run the gamut from OK to downright shifty. So value would also depend on the grading service itself. There is a host of complicated issues associated with grading. I'm not sure you want me to go into it all. However, I will say that buying certain raw coins has become a risky venture, especially over the internet. You've got to know your coins extremely well!

    We ARE watching you.

    image
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732 ✭
    A POX ON YOU RUSS! I knew it was a trick question!

    We ARE watching you.

    image
  • Options
    I'm just a newbie, but here is my guess (disclaimer I know not what I am talking about). Bottom toned from an album? Top is AT due to the inconsistent pattern across the coin and the sharp difference btw colors? Please tell me I am wrong and why and which is AT.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Top coin looks OK and natural.

    Bottom coin is AT, but that call is only 50/50. It does share certain similarities

    to coins stored in a Wayte Raymond holder .
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    So, what is the answer? How long until you provide the answer to the question posed? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    Top one is good, bottom is obviously AT - those purple and blue colors don't look natural at all.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    now that I look at it, I'm not sure the top one is natural either.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    I would recommend, laurentyvan, that if there are any largish coin shows around your area that you bring your trade dollar to ANACS for a free opinion on it. I bought a Trade Dollar raw a few years ago for about what you paid for yours, in about the same grade (sans toning), but as I read and learned more, I started to hear the horror stories about counterfeits abounding in the series. I should have read about it before I bought it, but we live and learn! Anyway, next big show I went to, I got ANACS to look at the coin, and they told me it was real. A happy ending, but I should have read first...and so should you!image
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    laurentyvan-Welcome! Some great advice has been given here. You might also want to consider using the search feature to look up past discussions on artificial toning if you haven't already. There has been a plethora of threads produced concerning this subject. image


  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Top one is classic bag toning, the real deal. It's the Flea Market Morgan that graded MS65 at PCGS. image

    Bottom one is phony as hell. image

    Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file