Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: Which denomination has the highest number of coins in your collection?

What denomination do you primarily collect? That is to say, which denomination has the highest number of coins in your collection? Why did you end up with more of that particular denomination?

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    SURPRISINGLY, probably 10c's.... My Roosies and Winged Libertys out number anything else I have...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    HepKitty,

I never would have guessed that!image
  • Options
    Sample slab collection has the most coins in it.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I'd have to check to be sure, but I think it might be half dollars.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Nickels. I have a set of proof Jeffersons. Then I'm working on a type set, which also has nickels as well as every other denomination. Next is dimes.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Definitely dimes. Have completed pre-1965 Rosies, Mercs, Barbers, Seated, and now working on Bust.
  • Options
    Checking the trusty Excel spreadsheet, the cent wins in my collection with 238 followed closely by dimes with 227 and nickels with 218.

Edited to add: that only includes coins that I cosider my collection. If I include accumulations, the numbers might change but the cent would still win.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    Morgans....fell in love with them as a kid....got determined to fill a business strike set (i.e. no 95-P). Am about 4 coins away, (if you don't count the capped CC 79-CC and the 79-S rev 78)
  • Options
    It's the 5 cent coins for me. Combining the nickels and half dimes puts them over the top. Also, those are two of the more complete areas of my type set.

BC
    Dip Happens...image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sixpence. image

As to Liteside stuff, I guess it would have to be large cents. (The 1800-57 date set on the back of the Holey Coin Vest).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I collect Morgans but seem to have a lot of wheat pennies.
  • Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold dollars. Love the Type III design & can't afford the $3's.
    Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    Between a WL Short Set and numerous Classic Commens, it has to be halves.

I don't count all of the junk nickels, dimes and pennies found metal detecting as part of a collection.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it all comes down to dollars and cents.

DOLLARS.....why? Because I have NEVER seen a coin dealer or collector who didn't want a dollar.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly quarters in my collection. When it was announced in '74 that there would
    be a circulating quarter for the bicentennial I started concentrating on them since
    it seemed apparent that any future circulating commem would also likely be a quarter.
    The gems were just the right balance between being hard to find and actually obtainable
    anyway and within a few years I started collecting them.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Dollars first. Morgan, Peace, Trade, Modern Commems, ASEs,Ike,Sac,SBA - 305 pcs
    Halves next. Early Commems, Modern Commems, Kennedys, Franklin, Walker -74 pcs
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Silver dollar, of course.image
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Dimes, Dimes and more Dimes. I think my answer would be......Dimes
  • Options
    Dimes followed by dollars, I think the dimes have been more reasonably priced which gives more bang for the buck.

matt
    "the world is full of kings and queens, they blind your eyes and steal your dreams, it's Heaven and Hell"
  • Options
    Definately dollars, followed by cents and half dollars.
    Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    100 Yuan image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread! Nickels for now.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    Definitely halves. Nice designs and lots of collectors providing strong demand and high liquidity.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a few dimes.........................image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    In order of what I have the most of...

1c, 5c, 10c, 25c (not counting state quarters), 50c, 1$, 3c (3 of them), 2c (2 of them), 1/2 c, 20c, $2.5, $5, $10 (one each).
  • Options
    i envy who ever has the most gold in his/her collection...cents 4 me!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only small cents, like this one.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    I like the 5¢ pieces the best!
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    $10 liberty's are my favorite but I have more $5 coins. mike
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Few Dimes also.....

Ken
  • Options
    toyonakatarotoyonakataro Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    I voted for 5 cents, but I really wanted to vote for half dimes..I have roughly 50 so far.
  • Options
    MrMooMrMoo Posts: 199
    Hmmm I have 3, count them 3, coins in my collection. So it is 33.33% between Dime, Dollar, and Half. image
  • Options
    Gold 2 1/2 Indians
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    SURPRISINGLY, they are not Frankies.

Brian.
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    Morgans by a long shot, or so I thought. According to my trusty Excel spread sheets, the Mercury dimes are are closing fast.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $100 coins??
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>$100 coins?? >>

I was thinking of the $100 Platinum Eagles.
  • Options
    Oooops! I guess if I had considered $100 Platinum Eagles I should have included $25 Platinum Eagles.
  • Options
    I run a coin shop so I would have to say WHEAT CENTS!!!
    PCGS,NGC & ANACS certified toned Morgan dollar dealer.
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Dollars then halves.
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    Not counting the roll set of state quarters it is the Lincoln cent. I have a complete set of lincolns and a bunch of indians and a few large cents.

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    To this point I stand alone in the 3C category. I sort of like it that way. If I ever complete my perfect collections of 3CS and 3CN, I will write a series of articles hyping these series. Be prepared for the distant future.
    Trime
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    It's a close race between cents and 1/2 pennys. I have about 300 early date large cents (238 different varieties), maybe 60 middle and late dates, complete set of indians, complete set of lincolns, and a second set of wheats missing the three keys. Maybe 700 pieces. Then I have right around 600 different 1/2 penny Conder tokens (Plus about 50 duplicates.).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file