Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: Which would you rather have- the $39,100 1963 PCGS PRF70DCAM cent, or a 1906 PCGS PRF65 $10 go

POLL: Which would you rather have- the 1963 PCGS PRF70DCAM cent that sold for $39,100 or a 1906 PCGS PRF65 $10 gold piece? The gold piece lists at $34,100 in the PCGS price guide and $40,000 in the Guide Book.

I would appreciate your reasons for your choice.

Edited to add previous sentence and links to pix of the cent.

Link to pic of a 1906 Proof eagle

Link to pic of the $39,100 cent obverse
Link to pic of the $39,100 cent's reverse
image"Darkside" gold

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Can't decide. Right now I think I'd stick with the cash on hand. image
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    For that money I could get a Ford Explorer with a built in TV set and a PR68* Mercury with rainbow color....imageimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I rather have both. If I can only have one it would be the gold piece. If I have to pay ..........forget it.
  • Options
    If i win the lottery I'm going to buy the 63 dcam proof 70 penny and mount it on a plaq that says a fool and his money are soon parted and there's a sucker born every minute and then im going to have a yn drawing for the coin under the stipulation that the winner must hang it in there bathroom right across from the toilet so every time they take a dump, they think of that piece of crap. Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    The gold piece, copper is too unpredictable.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Hey Les

Don't hold back.......tell us what you really think.image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Even though I collect Lincolns and don't collect gold, I'd much rather have the $10 gold piece. A PF70DCAM Lincoln is so delicate that if you so much as look at the coin you run the risk of decreasing its grade to MS69DCAM and thus would loose 90+% of its value.

On the other hand, a PF65 gold piece is a much safer coin to have and will not suffer the same sort of price fluctuation that the 1963 cent will.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Hmmmmmm......me thinks neither. Rather.....I would buy a 1955 DD PCGS MS65RD Lincoln, along with a Mint State 1922 Plain Lincoln. That should take care of the $40k no problem. Oh yeah.....there is that 1963 PF70DCAM cent......NOT!!! I think there are way better coins to blow $40k on......heck....there are 100% complete sets that you can put together with much less money.
    Marc
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A PF70DCAM Lincoln is so delicate that if you so much as look at the coin you run the risk of decreasing its grade to MS69DCAM and thus would loose 90+% of its value. >>

In the case of this particular coin, PR69DCAM would be an upgrade.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Russ,
    stop that....image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    Neither which wasn't a choice. So, I decided that you were giving the coins away for free and chose the gold coin (which is not a design I like or something that interestes me at all) so I could sell it over the PF whatever cent (which doesn't interest me at all)
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    nuckleheadnucklehead Posts: 1,500
    I'd go for the gold,it's a classic,I rest my case.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Les,

Great post!!

Gold piece for me all the way.

John
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me think about it ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................okay, I will take the gold coin (big surprise!).
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am so sick of hearing about this stupid $40K memorial cent......it's like when HRH always repeats what the 1989 high for such and such a coin was......now we have all these dealers claiming that if a 1963 cent is worth 40K then THEIR coin must be worth at least half as much.....

And just for the record, YES, I would rather have the proof ten.
  • Options
    Oh, I forgot my reasons.

Well, let's see.

1. Proof gold is numismatic caviar, the penny is numismatic fools gold.
    2. It would go very well with my NGC 1895 Proof 65 UCAM Quarter Eagle.
    3. Copper tones, gold doesnt.
    4. I promise that DCAM penny doesnt have orange peel surfaces.
    5. Hmm, mintage of 3,075,645 or 77?
    6. There are about, IMHO, 5-10 more PF70DCAM 63 pennies out there waiting to be graded. I cant wait for the prices to tumble.
    7. Liberty is much better looking that old honest Abe.
    8. Bigger coin=better. Size does matter.
    9. I dont want to be laughed at for picking the penny.

I could go on but those are my top 9.

John
  • Options
    Let's see a total mintage of 77 proofs for the Gold or 3 million proofs for the penny. No brainer give me the Gold gimme gimmie.
    DAVEimage
    From your friendly neighborhood lurker Dave.
  • Options
    i would save the money and buy about 200 ps2 and sell them for
    150% of the original price
  • Options
    Young snake.

You definitely have alot of your dad in you.....
    That's good though....

I recommend getting a new name though. Stick with the snake theme but something a little smaller. You're too young to be an anaconda. How about cobra?

Oh, I got one.....
    a good one..... with a coin theme....

How about......

Copperhead......

I like that one. What does everybody else think?

John
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    Well, I’d have to go with the gold piece, because it’s old, rare, and the metal and the design are much prettier. The cent is not rare except for "condition" and I wonder if it would grade PRF70 again if it was cracked out? Also, how many can tell the difference with the naked eye between a PRF70 and an average DCAM for the 1963 cent?
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    Well. I sort of expected that the poll would turn out the way it did. Gee, that gold piece is not even CAM or a Finest Graded by PCGS!

I wonder who voted for the cent?
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i'd rather cut the $4M 1804 dollar into a hundred pieces & own one of the crumbs

K s
  • Options
    Gold, Gold I want Gold! Especially a gold proof from that era!
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My real answer is NEITHER because I would like to take the money and turn it into a 1796-7 half dollar in VF, which would complete my type set, probably with a few thousand left over. I answered the gold coin because I could sell that and raise the money for the early half dollar. If I could not locate a suitable half dollar, a couple of early gold type coins that I need could also suffice.

The 1963 Proof cent was an infinately overpriced piece of registry junk that two idiots drove to an outrageous auction price. Since neither of the two idiots would ever listen to my advice, which is based upon years of collecting and studying numismatic items, I know that I will not loose ONE RED CENT from giving them that much deserved label.

Of course if one of them was an auction shill who drove the #1 idiot to that totally ridiculous price, I’ll limit my criticism to the ultimate foolish buyer. The shill would be just a paid stooge with no ethics.

There is NO 1963 Proof cent on the planet or in the universe that is worth $39,100.

I know that I went on rant here, but this sale really piqued me off. It sent the WRONG signals to neophyte collectors who should be getting better advice. This sale and auction price was an aberration that was out of bounds even for the registry market.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Bill, I thought my responce was good, but you got it licked.image
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file