Home U.S. Coin Forum

As collectors that visit dealers at shows, What would you like to see the dealers do differently?

I am curious on what collectors like and don't like in the dealers they see at shows. Personally I like the smallers dealers at shows because they seem to have the nicer coins and better service at the shows. Yes, some of the big national dealers have more of a selection but there is something I prefer when buying coins which is to buy from someone that will benefit from the sale instead of someone that gets a paycheck.

What do you like in a dealer at a show. What are some things that most dealers do not do that you would like to see? Be specific please

Comments

• Extented TERMS, baby! Coin mortgages sound innovating......wave of the future...10% down and 10 years to pay....

Yeah........now pinch me and i'll get over it.
    The Ex-"Crown Jewel" of my collection! 1915 PF68 (NGC) Barber Half "Eliasberg".

Once again resides with Legend, the original purchaser "raw" at live Eliasberg auction. Laura and i "love" the same lady!

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    I would like to make it through at least one show without hearing "I have lots of 1964 proof sets back at the shop."

Oh yeah, and dealers, I really don't give a rat's butt how much you have in a coin. It ain't my problem that you overpaid! image

Russ, NCNE
  • kieferscoinskieferscoins Posts: 10,017
    More junk boxes of slabs.

Cameron Kiefer
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on experience from both sides of the table, the one thing I would encourage dealers to do is SELL BOOKS on their area of expertise. It sends some strong messages to potential customers:

1. I am serious about this market.

2. I encourage you to learn about this market.

3. I will do what it takes to grow my market and cultivate new customers, even if that means I have to lug twenty pounds of books across the country.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    I will be looking for a good pattern book at your table andy!
  • CharlieBCharlieB Posts: 441
    It would be nice to see more dealers display their best 2 or 3 top
    showpiece items grouped together either on a separate small display
    board within the display case or simply positioned on a small
    square piece of different colored felt, say red that attracts
    everybody's attention when they stop by. When I drift from one
    table to another that's the first thing I am looking for, their
    top couple of items for the day. Some dealers I have seen do this
    and I think it is very good practice. It will catch the eye of
    every customer who stops by your table rather than to have these
    select pieces intermingled along with all the other coins in the
    case. And by a top showpiece item I don't mean it has to be the
    most expensive coin in the case, just something extra special.
    "location, location, location...eye appeal, eye appeal, eye appeal"
    My website
  • NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    ........only have raw coins. CharlieB, I like your idea, too!
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would I like to see the dealers do differently? I'd like some of them to stop trying to make collectors look stupid. I recently had one
    dealer at a coin show give me a price on a coin that was the full CDN ask price. That's fine & I didn't say a word about it but when he saw
    I was going to pass he goes, "Oh wait! I made a mistake! The price on that is quite a bit higher." (stages a look at CDN behind table) "But
    since I made you an offer I'll stand by it. If you turn it down the price goes up immediately." He then hands the coin back to me. I told him
    politely that I was going to pass & I gave him the coin back. His loud response in front of other people: "That's it. The price just went
    up. You really screwed up pal!"

I felt like jamming the slab down his throat. I've seen him at shows before & I'm sure I'll see him again, but I will NEVER buy a coin from
    him. In my opinion, HE screwed up.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    MS70 , the dealer in your reply was, is and shall always be a p**z.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    JB Steven, you said I like smaller dealers at shows.

Does that mean we need more vertically challanged

people behind the show cases?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
    bear,

I am vertically challenged image

i like the little guy that is making it for himself. they seem to be the ones you WANT the business and go a little extra for the customer.
  • barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    No. 1 for me is dealers making clear it is unacceptable for other dealers or collectors to cover up someone's display case with there briefcase or other crap even if they are doing buisness with that dealer at the time. I might want to see something in the case while you are hogging the view.

If the reason you are putting your stuff on top of the dealers display case is because of your coins are inside then either have the case at your side or ask the dealer to put it behind his table until you are finished doing buisness. I wonder if some dealers are aware of how much buisness they lose by allowing there cases to be covered up by some of there customers ? Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • I like a dealer who can look me in the eye!!!! Some of them act like they have never seen a woman up close, let alone one with her own checkbook. I'm young (31)...maybe this will wear off when I hit the wall at 50!
    K

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
    moments that take our breath away.
    Kim:

I would have no problem looking you in the eye and selling you a coin. Please stop by and say hello.
  • I'll take you up on that jbsteven! I was only half kidding....it really is amazing to me the difference in SOME dealers attitudes towards female collectors. I don't know everything about numismatics, but I didn't get my first coin yesterday!
    K

• barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    Kim, lady coin collectors are cool!!!

My wife has been collecting coins longer then i have and i started in 1965. Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Les-She rocks!!!! How lucky you are! I had to train my husband....although it wasn't that hard once he saw his first MS-66 Indian Princess. Now, he is hooked! I don't think I could have married him if he didn't at least appreciate my passion for coins.....
    K

• baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    how about this one:

I'm at a small local show and walk up to a dealer's table where a very robust, old woman is parked there (in a chair) looking thru albums. Of course she's blocking nearly everything. She's been there looking through albums for quite some time, but I think I spy a parcel of daylight where I can wiggle in to approach the dealer. I notice that the dealer has a few Wayte Raymond boards he's selling with coins already in them. I asked him if he had any empty WR boards. He pulls out a box of maybe 10-15 of them and says he wants $2 each for. I think this is a very good deal and ask if any are for quarters in that pile.

Suddenly, the "woman" speaks as if she just chained 3,000 Pall Mall studs and washed it down with a fifth of Jack - no, make that Wild Turkey. "How many of those boards you got for Halves? I'll take all of them."

Well, all the boards but 2 were for halves. the others were for cents which I wasn't interested in. The dealer looked at me as if to apologize for the mountainous obstruction which just belched forth in the rudest of manners. I gave him a quick nod and smile, letting her have them and evacuated the viscinity of the malodorous beast.

sort of similar to Barberlover's beef...

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if some dealers are aware of how much buisness they lose by allowing there cases to be covered up by some of there customers ? Les >>

So true! If a case is covered I just keep going. I no longer have the patience to stand & wait or come back later just to find it still
    covered. I make a conscious effort to NEVER cover a dealer's case with my organizer. It's not fair to the dealer or customers.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Hey baccaruda,

What do you mean by "robust"? image I think the one you just described hits a lot of shows. I swear I see her at every one I attend - or her husband.

Russ, NCNE

that's me being kind. I imagine she gets around as a universal irritant.

It means 150 lbs. of naked lunch-lady arms stretched across 3/4 of the table while she talks with her friend, wasting most the dealer's space.

I think he wanted to tell her to get the heck out too, but he was way too nice.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    I want the dealers to realize that I am addicted to buying coins. And not to be insulted when I sell a coin I bought from them only a month ago. I need a steady supply of coins and simply can't afford to keep all the ones I buy.image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Dar' She blows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Harpoon away!!!!!

I will now say three nice things about others to make up for that one!
    Cameron really is, a nice guy!
    Dog97 has a great wit!
    I learn something from most of you each and every day!
    K

• relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

1) The price of the coin displayed
    2) Don't use permanente stickers
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
    I think the dealer intentionally avoided conflict with this "lady". Although he was pretty good size himself, when you factor in her apparent attitude - it would have been a clash of the titans.

I would have just hoped to be thrown free of the wreckage.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    For the most part, my show experiences have been pretty good. As with any business, there are a couple of things that turn customers off.

1. Try to give a reasonably professional appearance.
    2. Try to keep your area uncluttered and organized.
    3. Be courteous and smile a little.

Although nice coins will pretty much sell themselves, I still believe in selling yourself first.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Some suggestions for dealers at coin shows:

a) Provide plenty of good lighting. Most bourse floors have crappy lighting.
    b) Keep your crap and other customers crap off your display cases. Learn to move customers up and down the table as you see someone trying to see what is in the case you are blocking.
    c) Don't stack coins in your case. If you you must stack coins in your case, then let me pick up the stack and look at more than one at a time. If I'm the only one at your table open your case and hold it open so I can take a close look at several coins in your case. I hate asking to see 15 coins in your case one at a time. I understand security issues but if I can't see it or its a pain to see it, you won't sell it.
    d) Don't tell me how PQ a coin is. Let the coin speak for itself. If I have a question I will ask.
    e) Don't tell me what you have in the coin, I don't care and it is irrelevant to what I will pay.
    f) If you have additional coins other than what is openly displayed, please ask me what I am interested in. Otherwise I assume what is displayed is what is available.

Just some opinions from my side of the table. Looks like a laundry list of complaints but overall I think 80% of the dealers at shows do a nice job.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    Two things: 1) be there on Saturday and 2) adequate lighting.
  • If you really want to sell a coin put a price on it and price it realistically. Do dealers really think someone buying a $5k+ coin has no idea of value?!

Also, don't judge a book by the cover. I may look unkempt but I am enjoying my hobby and not at work. Not all high rollers wear Gucci loafers and blazers.

Ironically bad service from dealers forced me to learn more about coins and start buying almost exclusively from auction. BTW, most of the bad service has come from the less than prominnent major dealers.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some issues and some really can not be corrected. For example, it is not uncommon for some dealers to spend more time on the floor buying than at their table. I wait and wait for the dealer if there are coins I am interested in...sometimes the wait pays off and other times, the dealer has no concept of the time their potential customers waste waiting for them. I don't see this changing.

I appreciate that dealers have families and travel is a pain... I think at some larger shows Saturday and Sunday attendance should be required. Dealers leaving early will mostlikely not change.

Now I would like to address my real complaints:

There are some dealers that don't bother to display their coins in the cases and just leave'em in boxes. Can't you just make the effort to display at least some of your coins? Please give me a reason to sit down and ask to see what is in the box. I know that collectors can be a pain, but you can't sell what can't be seen.

Some dealers seem to be content to sell to other dealers and just blow off collectors...big mistake!

Some dealers live and die by the gray sheet as do some collectors...again, what a big mistake.

Take the time to listen and show a coin instead of holding court and BSing with the usual suspects.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file