Home U.S. Coin Forum

My New Draped Bust Half-Guess the Grade

I just got this one today and wanted to share the pictures with you all. It is an 1807 Draped Bust Half slabbed by NGC.image It has nice blue and gold toning around the rims, and has a good amount of the original mint luster. I really like the look of this coin. What do you think??? It really looks better in person. It is hard for me to get the flash of the luster in the pictures.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice.

Were I to guess, I'd say VF20.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd call this an AU coin. Congrats on your acquisition...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

this is a giveaway right??? so the first person closest to the real grade gets it???????? I would pay for postage if you wanted
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin and one that would be easier to grade in person. With the usual disclaimer about grading the scan and not the coin, I would grade it in the ef45 range... the other problem is this date can be weakly struck adding to the challenge of assigning the most appropriate grade. EF45 may be alittle conservative in light of the lustre seen in the second obverse scan.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Nice Coin!! VF35?image
    LM,

This series is amazingly hard to grade. The strike on this coin is horrible, but look at the obverse stars and notice how evenly detailed they are? And then, look at how much drapery detail she still has... For a coin like this, it's a toss up how to grade it. I think it should not be penalized much for the weak strike because nearly every single late-date DB halves were weakly struck. They were already AU details-wise fresh off the press!

EVP

• morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EVP:

I agree with your comments about the weak strike.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• two weeks ago i saw a 1800 graded by anacs at 50, yours has better toning image but slightly less detail, so i'll say 45.
    Life's a journey, not a destination.

<< <i>LM,

This series is amazingly hard to grade. The strike on this coin is horrible, but look at the obverse stars and notice how evenly detailed they are? And then, look at how much drapery detail she still has... For a coin like this, it's a toss up how to grade it. I think it should not be penalized much for the weak strike because nearly every single late-date DB halves were weakly struck. They were already AU details-wise fresh off the press! >>

You're right. I let the flat strike fool me at first. I've only had one Draped half, also an 1807, and it was a VF30.

Flat strike or no, you have a lovely coin, there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing 53. very nice look!image
    Revised guess AU50.

• jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    looks like mine so I say 50

ok, so the guesses are now closer to my guessed grade...........do i win the coin????????????
    I picked up a G-VG-ish 1806 with a hole at the Charlotte show for a song. I was tickled to death to have a Draped half for the world-infamous Holey Coin Vest! image

• Thanks for all the replies. I am sorry that I am not able to give the coin away to those who were right. These coins are very hard to grade with the differences in strike. This one is week, but as EVP pointed out, this is common. The third picture gives more of a true look of the coin. It has a good amount of luster and has great eye appeal in person. Just by detail, this coin does resemble a VF-XF coin. This one was however graded as an AU50 by NGC. I think it was accurately graded.

Jay
    With the usual disclaimer about grading the scan and not the coin

It is MUCH easier to grade off a scan if the coin's a circ than if it were an UNC. And, Wisconsin's 3rd image shows off the remaining luster quite well.

EVP

• I believe this coin to be a 0-109 overton and a very nice xf40 coin.

thanx for sharing.
    may the force be with you.

rob.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay,

I agree with EVP on this. Re open-collared coins, you have all sorts of difficulties grading them due to die and striking problems. I have the Breen revised Overton book on order so I can get a better handle on this series before buying one of these coins

Take the original mint luster combined with the details on the clouds on the reverse, and you are looking at a solid AU graded coin. However, the wings on the reverse do not have the detail one would expect of a closed collared coin, and ditto re the amount of detail in Miss Liberty's hair. Your coin could also be from a late die state, where you aren't as going to get as much detail on the devices in any event.

When you are looking at a coin as old as this one, I'd pay close attention to its surfaces. It's hard to tell from the scan, but they appear to be reasonably clean.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Nice coin!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file