Home U.S. Coin Forum

Yet another "which coin would you rather have and why"? Grades and voting results posted

coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
In case anyone is wondering, I did NOT steal these images from anyone and I am NOT friends with DragonOfFire image

Choose one of these two 1853 Half Cents:

Choose one of these two 1888 Three Cent Nickels (or, if you prefer, Nickel Three Cent Pieces):

Choose one of these two 1878 Shield Nickels:

Choose one of these two 1863 Half Dimes:

Choose one of these two Lynchburg's:

Choose one of these two Missouri 2x4's:

Comments

• ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Speaking to the commems--

I like the first Missouri 2 X 4 because finding one with luster like that and orginal surfaces is a thing of wonder.

I don't much like either of the Lynchburgs. Yes, the first one is a little too original even for me. Don't like the spot of the lower obverse. Looks like the spot on Jupiter (the planet). Almost as large too. Okay, I exaggerate.

The other one from the scan doesn't particularly jump out at me for either it's luster or subtle toning.

That's the view from Mt. Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • The top 1853 half cent because of color...
    The second 1888 3CN because of what I perceive to be luster...
    The first shield nickel because of color and luster...
    The second half dime ...
    The first Lynchburg because of surfaces and luster...
    The first Missouri because of luster...
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see...

The first half cent because it has a redder color
    The first 3 cent nickel... I think the subdued luster is very nice... it looks matte
    The second shield nickel because it has a nice color to it, and doesn't have the same color as a Jefferson
    The first half dime because it has a little more color to it
    The second Lynchburg because I don't really like the first one's toning... I might, though, in person
    The first MS for it's kick-a$$ luster and strong strike

No need for my addy- I'll pick up my choices in Baltimore... the veggie burger is on me image

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely like the color of the #1 half-cent.
    Tough one on the 3CN. I'd usually prefer the luster of #2, but that is a nice-looking matte-like appearance and texture on #1. Guess I'd have to see it in person.
    Gimme #1 on the shield nickel. Great luster.
    I like the contrast on the #2 half dime. Strike seems better, too.
    Neither of the Lynchburgs are real exciting. I guess #2 because the toning on #1 isn't very attractive to me.
    NICE #1 Missouri. Luster and eye appeal again.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    DPoole, glad (and relieved) to see you here - I couldn't remember if you had been hanged or not, by king ArtR.

I hope you're not going to charge your "customary fee" for you opinions in this thread.image
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this just a tricky way of showing off your really (really) cool coins?

Send them all to me. I'll separate the ones I don't like from the ones I do, you'll receive an empty envelope in return containing the ones I don't like.

What do I like best?

the first half cent - nicer eye appeal for me, nice color
    The second 3 cent - lustre looks better
    the first shield nic - same, lustre
    the second half dime - color
    the second Lynburg - I don't like the color of the first
    I don't care too much for either Missouri comms, but the second one seems to have a better strike
  • ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    As for the other coins... (these opinions are not based in any way by which coin would have a larger monetary value. It's pure eye appeal)

I prefer the first half cent for the rich color.
    I prefer the second three cent piece for the luster.
    I prefer the second shield nickel (inspite of the mark on the shield) for strike and color.
    And I think I would prefer the first half dime, but it has the disadvantage of a blurry scan, so it makes it harder to get behind it. You owe that coin better, Coinguy1. What did it ever do to you?

Mt. Clankeye (soon to be Hill Clankeye, due to erosion)
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
    No, LanLord, most of the really cool ones don't lend themselves to comparisons, like I try to do with these threads. imageimage
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    2nd Half cent, much better strike.
    1st 3 cent piece because of the color.
    toss up on the Shield nickels
    2nd Half Dime, much better strike.
    1st Lynchburg, better strike and I like that kind of toning.
    1st Missouri 2 X 4, strike and luster.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • I like the second half cent. Even though it appears to have more hits/scratches it has more detail. It also looks like it has that metallic sheen I like.

Perhaps the first 3 cent nickel has really cool color? From what I can see though I would prefer the second one. It has frosty devices.

The first shield nickel has less spots and seems better struck with less ticks. Even though it looks dipped I would probably choose it.

I might pick the first half dime but the image seems washed out or something. I really want to view both these coins in person image

I prefer the toning on the first Lynchburg. It also might have a sharper strike.

The first Missouri looks like it has great luster.

Thanks! They all look like neat coins.
  • DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    Half Cent #1 - I like the rich color and the 2nd coin has some small scratches in focal areas of the coin
    3 Cent #2 - Nice luster and eye appeal.
    Shield Nickel #2 - Nice color, luster and eye appeal
    Half Dime #2 - Better strike
    Lynchburg #1 - Better strike, though I don't like the large dark toning spot
    Missouri #1 - Decent color, super luster and a better strike

Another great thread Mark!

• FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭
    Hey, Mark I was really hoping that the Columbian commem would be posted! That would be a "no-brainer" imageimage

1853 --- #1

1888 --- #2

1878 --- #1

1863 --- #1

Lynchburg -- #1

Missouri -- #1

But let me guess, they are all the same coins, just look different because of the pics.

Michael (Big Red)

• CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    #1, 1853....#2,1888...#1,1878....#2,1863.....#1, lynchburg....#1, missouri......image .....they have better eye appeal....image
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    CG1, is there a common "thread" in all these coins? I like the ones with luster. Is it possible that the other ones have been dipped/cleaned? Is that what you're getting at?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    On the cents, I'd definitely have to say #1. It just looks so much more appealing to me.

While the luster of the first 3CN looks strong, I like the flash of the second better.

Definitely like the first shield nickel more. Eye appealing!

For the half dimes, I'll lean towards the first. They're slightly out of focus, but the first seems more interesting visually to me.

Of the lynchburgs, I prefer the second. I like toning, but not blotchy toning.

I like the first missouri more. Flash and pop really do it for me a lot!
  • SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭
    They're all the same coins, before & after photos of NCS "conservation" services.

Sethimage
    Collecting since 1976.
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    both halfcents rare like that! top three cent nick uncommon with that look both halfdimes uncommon with that look

they are all great superb exceptionally surfaced coins the above coins are the exceptional coins to me in my minds eye coins with a fundemential reason to rise in value

those specific commems i know nothing about those coins but i like them!

the shield nicks i like both!

sincerely michael
  • #1 because there is something about #2 that I don't like. Maybe the color.

#2 because it looks flashier.

#2 because I am a sucker for gold toned nickel.

#1 if it looks less flat in person. I don't like the obverse toning on #2, although the reverse is very pretty.

I don't like either of the Lynchburgs but would say I like #2 the best.

#1 on the Missouri as long as the rim toning I think I see isn't too bad. #2 looks like a pretty coin, though but it looks flat.

Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Mark, thanks for taking the time to post the beautiful pics, My choices -

Half Cent - coin one by default. Although I love coin #2, and it is a better strike, the spot at 3:30 in the wreath puts me off.

Three cent piece - coin one by a mile. Coin one has beautiful surfaces and "to me" original looking surfaces. Coin two has what appears to be dip residue directly in front of the eye.

Shield Nickel - coin two. I prefer light natural looking toning over luster.

Half dime - coin two is a great strike beautiful pastel piece, and my choice.

Lynchburg - coin one is a far better strike. The top of the reverse of coin two almost looks mushy, and the head on coin two hasn't got great detail. BTW - I don't like the toning on either.

Missouri - coin one because of the luster.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recognize some of those coins.

The first Half-Cent. I prefer its color to the second one. Surfaces seem a little bit cleaner & it has full dentils.

Surfaces appear a bit cleaner on the second 3 cent nickel to me.

Mark, how many days did you spend finding two reasonably attractive Shield Nickels? I think they are the ugliest type coin out there. Surfaces seem to be a bit cleaner on the second one.
    These are probably the first Shield Nickels I've seen in a long time that don't make me reach for a barf-bag.

Don't like either Half-Dime, and I know nothing about Commems.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Mark:

Thanks for these great learning exercises. Here are my guesses:

1853 half cent - #1 for the color
    1888 3cn - #1 seems sharper, but the luster on #2 is better
    1878 Shield - #1 for luster
    1863 half dime - #1 for colorful toning, though they almost seem like the same coin shot from different angles
    Lynchburg - #1 is a sharper strike but the toning is ugly, so I'll go with #2
    Missouri - #1 for great luster

Chuck

P.S. - did I win? image
  • 2nd half cent... better strike
    1st 3cn... looks just like the 1888 i have
    1st shield nickel... because i dislike shield nickels and it would be easier to give away
    2nd half dime... the toning is closer to matching my half dollar
    1st lynchburg... same strike, decent toning
    1st missouri... see shield response

nice coin pics, thanks
    Life's a journey, not a destination.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    1853 #2 by a long shot. i LOVE iridescent toning on copper. #1 no doubt got the higher slabed grade, but #2 is for me!

both 1888 3cn's can bite me. neither is original

shield nickel #2. #1 is dipped

1863 half-dimes's, tossup, i like both

lynchburg #1 is far more original than #2, i take #1

missouri #1, although dipped, is nicer than #2 due to strike, i take #1.

K S
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Half cent- I pick coin#2. The first coin looks nice but the color seems off. Coin number two has many marks but it looks original.
      Three cent- I pick the first one even though I can't really see luster from the pictures. The second coin has that dipped look I don't like.
        shield nickel- the first coin has that just dipped look I hate so the second coin is my choice even though it has some spotting.
          half dime- I pick the first coin because of the more uniform toning.
            the Lynchberg- I pick the first coin because even with the splotchy toning the luster more than makes up for it.
              The Missouri- I don't like either one. The first one has that just dipped look and the second one does not look to have any luster. mikeimage
            • SpudmasherSpudmasher Posts: 170 ✭✭
              Mark - Thank you for your time, and efforts.

(1) 1st 1/2 Cent. Fiery red and not nearly as many marks, although the later is a better strike.

(2) Personally I like the 2nd 3 Cent better, but not by a lot.

(3) Like the 2nd 5 Cent because of eye appeal.

(4) I think the 2nd 1/2 Dime is a real monster. Beautiful coin.

(5) The 1st Lynchburg to me is far superior strike, color etc.

(6) Not a lot to choose from regarding the Missouri's. I do like the originality of the 2nd, although the 1st has nice peripheral toning.
            • scherscher Posts: 924
              i want em all...
              bruce scher
              Thanks for your participation, everyone. Here are the grades and the voting results:

1853 Half Cent #1 NGC MS67BN 14 votes
              1853 Half Cent #2 PCGS MS65BN 5 votes

1888 3CN #1 PCGS MS66 5 votes
              1888 3CN #2 PCGS MS67 11 votes

1878 5c #1 NGC PR67 9 votes
              1878 5c #2 PCGS PR67 9 votes

1863 1/2 10c #1 NGC MS65 8 votes
              1863 1/2 10c #2 NGC MS66 9 votes

Lynchburg #1 PCGS MS67 11 votes
              Lynchburg #2 PCGS MS67 6 votes

Missouri 2x4 #1 NGC MS65 15 votes
              Missouri 2x4 #2 PCGS MS65 1 vote
            • DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
              Mark- Another nice thread requiring lots of thought and effort by you. Pretty disappointing to see a good coin thread with good content, requiring Members to use some assessment process go with SOOOOOO little participation. Not hard to see why so many across the street are complaining about this Forum.

Just my opinion.

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
              Mark -- would you be willing to offer some more comments on Lynchburg # 1? Lynchburg's are usually pretty blah -- depending on what this coin looks like in person, it could be a rather exciting one.
              Higashiyama
            • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
              Mark, let's here your opinion of these coins and which one would you pick and why. mike image
            • I love these threads and wish there was more participation. I like to see the thought processes too. I go back several times to try to see what others are seeing. Interesting to know the grades and breakdowns too. Thanks for the time Mark.
              Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
            • jomjom Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
              Which would I want, eh? Well, I'm not an expert in any of those series so I would answer by asking a question back:

Which one would be easiest to sell? That way I could sell the thing and buy something I'd really like! image

But, if you asking which I like best it would probably be the "lower" of the 63 half dimes. It is really the only design I care for out of the ones you posted plus it seems like it has good color.

jom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
            Emoji
            Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
            Drop image/file