Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another "which coin would you rather have and why?" - updated with grades and comments

coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
Ok, fellow coinaholics, it's time for another "which coin would you rather have and why?".
Remember, this is just for fun and, just as "there is no free lunch", no free coins will be given out as prizes. image
Ready, set, ......go!

Pick one of these two 1864 Indian Cents:

Pick one of these three No Motto Dollars:

Pick one of these two Trade Dollars:

Pick one of these two Isabella Quarters:

Comments

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    I can't decide, I wish I could have them all!!!! Very nice!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

1864 #1 - It looks like my icon
    No Motto's #3 - Cameo?
    Trade $ #1 - probably just the image, but has sharper details
    1893 #1 - noise on the reverse of the other
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • I'm with Lucy I want them all. I do like the Trade dollars though...Very nice!
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    There is definitely no loser in this line-up!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Argh! Now this one is hard, St. Feldolini!

For the first set of 2 Indians. I'm very torn. But I'll choose #2 because I like the original look just a bit more than the toned look. But only barely.

For the second set of dollars, I'll choose the third. While the others have desirable characteristics, I love the cameo contrast on the third.

For the trade dollars, I'll go with the second. Again the reason lies mostly in the contrast.

For the Isabellas, the first looks like it has great eye appeal. So I'll choose that.

Great images, Mark. I wish I could see these things for real, like you get to!
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    1) Cent #2
    2) No Motto #3 (1865) (looks like a DCAM)
    3) Trade Dollar #2 (1880) (looks like a CAM/DCAM)
    4) Isabella Quarter #1
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • 1864- #1 Like the toning.
    No motto-#2 also for the toning and strike.
    Trade $- the 1880 looks PL or is a proof
    Isabella-#1 reverse of #2 looks funky.

They are all nicer than most of my collection.image

edited for spelling.
    Gary
  • MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Now this is unfairimage I hate having to choose...but,
    1 IHC color/eye appeal
    ultimately #3 on no motto if it's a cameo. I like #2 quite a bit as well.
    1880 trade dollar..Eye appeal
    Second issabella....Real nice looking color, and I believe strike is better as well.
    With me, it's always my point of view of eye appeal!
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    1) Indian Cents - The second one. I like the streaking and overall copper-brown color. Again I like the monchromatic color. At least the dominately monochromatic color.

2) Seated Dollars - The 1865. I like how the detail of the obverse pops out at you. Flashier then the 1860. It was a toss up between the 1860 and 1865 for me. So I`ll go with the 1865.

3) Trade Dollars - The 1880. You always have to throw in a stumper in for me. I like both of them equally. The 1880 edges out by a fraction because the feilds look cleaner to me.

4) Isabella Quarters - I like the top one because the luster looks to come out better. Again the monochromatic color appeals to me too.
  • I like the colorful Indian (#1) very much. I think it looks cool.

The color on the middle Seated Dollar look weird to me so I wouldn't buy that one. I like the color of the first one as it looks original to me. The third one (1865) looks to have more frost. Since the 1865 has a lower mintage and I really like frosted coins I would probaby pick that one.

I have a similar dilema with the Trade Dollars. Do I go for frost or originality? If they cost the same I would have trouble choosing. I'd like it if the 1874 was cheaper, then I would choose that one.

The 1'st Isabella appears to have better luster. I can't tell if the strike is as good as the second, but would pick the first if the strike is good.

Thanks for posting this thread! I really love options. I find it instructive to make a choice.
  • HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (1) Indian cents -- I have to confess I am seduced by the color of # 1.

(2) Seated dollars -- again, # 2 has gorgeous color. (I suppose any sane person would take # 3, but it seems a bit sterile)

(3) I will take the black and white contrast on # 2.

(4) This is very difficult, because I strongly suspect that close inspection will tell a different story from the images. If coin # 2 has better luster than the image suggests, I will take it. I also suspect that the toning breaks on the reverse mentioned by some are not distracting in real life. At risk of raising offense, # 2 seems "unquestionnably original",while # 1 is probably original, but not unquestionnably so?
    Higashiyama
  • TrimeTrime Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭
    Trime
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    Trime, are you having a problem with the "1" key on your keyboard?image
  • CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,608 ✭✭
    Indian Cent: Coin 2 is technically better. Fuller strike etc. My initial reaction to coin 1 is oh, look at the pretty color! But look at the carbon spot right in front of the Indian's nose, which I find distracting. And the strike is not there, at least as shown in the photo.

Seated Dollars: Coin 3. DCAM or nealy so. What more can you say. The color on coin 2 doesn't move me. Coin 1 looks washed out in comparison to Coin 3.

Trade Dollar. Close call. Coin 2 probably. Sure its been dipped but coin 1 has toning that to me is more yellow with age than mellow with age, and it may have been dipped and retoned.

Isabella Quarter. How did the lady who brough us the Spanish Inquisition get on a US coin? Personally I wouldn't own either, but as far a picking one of the two I'd go with Coin 2. I like the obverse toning on coin 2 but not the steakiness on the reverse, which I find detracting from the look. Coin 1 seems to have great luster while coin 2 looks dull in the photos. But look at the detail in coin 2 which appears lacking in coin 1! Despite the lack of luster and the detracting toning breaks on the reverse, coin 2 has an overall nice antique look and coin 1 just lacks too much detail.

CG
  • supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    Cent #1 -- Color, even though looks a bit subdued, and because #2 looks cleaned (not saying it is, just has that look to me which turns me off).
    Exorcist head #3 -- Self-evident. Contrast baby!
    Trade #2 -- Same reason as above.
    Izzy #1 -- Luster, nice flowing toning.

I'm not taking into account coin values. If I was, I'd take the most expensive, sell them all... and buy Ikes, of course. image
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) IHC - Definitely the second one. The first one has too many carbon spots on the reverse while
    the second one only has one noticeable tick mark on the reverse in a grade sensitive area. Also,
    I don't like the color on the first one.

2) Seated $ - Take the first one. It has the cleanest surfaces, IMO. I think the obverse of the second one is too darkly toned. I don't like PF Seated $s. I see some light hairlines & chatter on
    #3.

3) The Trade $ - I'd go with the first one, though I'm sure it is graded lower than #2 (I know the grade on #2 and have seen its image). I prefer MS rather than proof in 19th Century Type.

4) Take the 1st Isabella. The obverse toning on the second one appears too dark for me.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • SpudmasherSpudmasher Posts: 170 ✭✭
    (1) The top cent has more carbon and you had better like the toning. I'd go with #2 because it is a beautiful oringinal example.

(2) I like the 1863 because of its originality, but the 1865 is probably more valuable because of the DCAM appearance etc.

(3) I again like the 1st 1874 for the coloration etc. although again the 2nd appears to be DCAM.

(4) The second Isabella appeals to me because of the toning, and it is a stronger strike marks aside.
  • ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Speaking only to the Isabellas, I like them both for different reasons. The first one looks like it might have a little better luster, but the second looks like it has the better strike. I like the toning of the second, although some people would think it looks splotchy.

Also, I predict the first one is graded by PCGS and the second one by NGC. Probably 65, but real good chance they are both 66's. I want to know, so out with it Saint Feldolini.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
    Grades to be revealed (much) later today. Patience, Clank, or I'll catapult you somewhere. image .image
  • prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    IHC #2, I like red IHC's

NM$ #3, cameo

T$ #2, fields look cleaner

Isabella, #1 better eye appeal

• mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    I would pick the toners. As for the Trade Dollars, I would have to see them in person.

Remember, this is just for fun and, just as "there is no free lunch", no free coins will be given out as prizes

You should give out a nice Pinnacle Ink Pen at least.image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • IHC #2
    Seated Dollar #1
    Trade #1
    Isabella #1

Do not like Proofs of any kind and the toning on all those coins is not all that attractive
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    IHC - #2, I like the color of #1, yet the carbon spot in the left obverse field seems somewhat prominant to me. The strike of #2 is strong and the coin has near proof-like quality to it.

NMD - #3, I love the Cameo! The reverse looks virtually perfect.

TD - #2, Seems Deep Cameo and I think the DCAM Trade Dollar is one the finest coins ever minted.

Isabella #1 is more appealing to me.

Mark, thanks for another great thread!!

• ccrdragonccrdragon Posts: 2,697
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • rwhiterwhite Posts: 326
    IHC - #2 - I like the look.
    Seated $ - Either #2 or #3, as #1 looks too washed out.
    Trade $ - #2, #1 looks wierd to me.
    Isabella Quart - This one is though. If #2 has luster under the toning, then I like #2... its a toughie.
    -Ryan-
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd pick the 1864 Indian...even though the small dark toning spot toward the nose looks like he just blew a bugger out!image
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • ClausUrchClausUrch Posts: 1,278

I seem to like the lusterous MS coins better; not that I'd kick the others to the floor, mind you.
  • 1864 Indian- #1 - I like the color
    1863 Dollar- The color is nice
    1874 Trade Dollar- I like the overall look. Head appears to be better struck and the hairlines are not as noticable as the other

Isabella-#1 marginally. I like the more luster to it with still a hint of color. The #2 is nice and has better color, b ut lacking luster in the fields.

Jayimage
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is that they're some beautiful coins and I'm glad I'm poor so I don't have to choose image.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    I bet IH proof cent #1 didn't image as faithfully as #2, could you send me both for a better look? The toned proof has a few obverse specs that are distracting to me in the image but may not be in person, depending on the mirrors and vibrancy of the colors. I've learned that tiny imperfections get magnified when you image these types of coins so I hate judging them that way. #2 is beautiful, I really like the light reverse woodgrain on this one. It's one of those exceptions where it adds to the coin. If I had to buy based only on the images I'd take #2 as the safer purchase.

Of the rest:

Dollar #3
    Trade #2
    Isabella #1
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need a FASTER computer or internet connection. What was the question again?

Oh yes, I remember now:

2 what a coin! Ooh, what color for an 1864. I did not realize that the 1864 had that woodgrain look on the reverse? Is this a mint state or a proof? Looks like a proof?
    3 wow nice DCAM! Can I have this for my type set?
    1 a tougher date than the 1880?
    1 like the luster and pleasant golden toning. A closer call between these two!!! Nicer reverse than the other coin.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
    Grades revealed:

1864 1c #1 PCGS PR65RB
    1864 1c #2 PCGS PR65RD

1860 $1 PCGS PR65 Cameo
    1863 $1 NGC PR65
    1865 $1 NGC PR66 Ultra Cameo

1874 Trade $ NGC PR65 Cameo
    1880 Trade $ NGC PR66 Cameo

Isabella #1 PCGS MS66
    Isabella #2 PCGS MS65

• DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    Great fun once again. Glad more Members chose to add comments this time. Mark, I'm sure you put a lot of thought and effort into a thread such as this one and I want to THANK YOU! Lots of good content in this thread and the coins are all beautiful! Thanks again. image

• #2 - I typically don't like multi-colored copper.

#2 - I typically do like multicolored silver.

#1 - Looks sharper to me.

#1 - better lustre and sometimes I don't like multicolor on silver and #2 illustrates the kind I don't like.

Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
    Here is how the voting went:

1864 1c #1 PCGS PR65RB - 8 votes
    1864 1c #2 PCGS PR65RD - 15 votes

1860 $1 PCGS PR65 Cameo - 4 votes
    1863 $1 NGC PR65 - 5 votes
    1865 $1 NGC PR66 Ultra Cameo - 13 votes

1874 Trade $ NGC PR65 Cameo - 10 votes
    1880 Trade $ NGC PR66 Cameo - 13 votes

Isabella #1 PCGS MS66 - 18 votes
    Isabella #2 PCGS MS65 - 5 votes

And, a few comments -

1) I prefer 1864 1c #1 because of the pretty green and rose color, even though I know that full red examples (#2) are typically more highly regarded by collectors. Also, the small spot that a few posters mentioned, is not as obvious, sight-seen. The coin displays cameo contrast, which makes it even more desirable and striking, but PCGS apparently does not designate "RB" or "BN" copper coins as cameos.

2) It's hard for me to ignore the striking beauty and the value of the 1865 PR66 Ultra Cameo dollar. But, I certainly prefer the original and attractive appearance of the toned 1863, to the color-free 1860 example.

3) The 1880 Trade Dollar displays better cameo contrast and flash than the 1874. I also have the added advantage of knowing that it looks quite spectacular in person, too. As some have noted, however, it's easier to find than an 1874. By the way, 1880 trade Dollars were produced only as Proofs, as were all those dated 1879 through 1885 (the 1884 and 1885 being excessively rare, with mintages of 10 and 5, respectively).

4) I like the color on both Isabella Quarters but #1 (the MS66) possesses better luster and I'm not crazy about the uneven toning on the upper reverse of #2 (the MS65).

Thanks for your participation and comments. I will try to do more of these threads, as time and opportunity allow.

• I would pick a 1921 Peace Dollar Proof!
  • barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    Mark, most people automaticly assume that an older coin with toning thats light is a dipped/retoned coin. Do you think the 66 quarter is original ? How can you tell ? Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
    Sorry, Les, I don't know what "66 quarter" you're speaking of.image
  • barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    Mark, as far as i remember, the only quarters you mentioned on this post were the 2 isabella's, but sorry for the omission, but i'd still like an answer if you would? Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
    Sorry, Les, fair point! image

Neither Isabella gives any indication of having been dipped and then retoning. If they were blazing white, I would probably suspect a dipping, however.

You bring up a good point, though. In many cases, if a coin has been dipped and later retones, the color is a deep golden or golden/red, which often shades to deep blue. The color often appears at the border and not over the entire surface of the coin. And, that color often has at least somewhat of an AT look to it. These are admittedly generalizations and wont apply in all cases, however.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    1st ihc - the 2d has been cleaned

2nd no-motto dollar, all 3 have been cleaned, but #2 least recently

both of those trade dollars are butt-ugly, but i'd take #2 if forced to choose. both have been cleaned

isabella #2 due to superior strike, despite odd rev. tone streaks

i chose coins before reading the rest of thread, but the slabbed grades had no influence whatsoever on my decision even after i saw them. dipped copper gets slabed frequently, & needless to say dipped silver get slabed all the time

K S
  • Cent - #2 (I'm not a huge fan of non-silver toning)
    No Motto - #3 looks CAM/DCAM
    Trade - #2 - same reason as No motto
    Isabella.... probably #2 as it appears to have more detail but the interupption in toning at 12 o'clock on the reverse is distracting.

Tim
  • jomjom Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The middle Seated Dollar and the "top" Isabella. The Isa at least has some luster. The Dollar since it seems to have nice color. You can keep the rest. image

jom
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i like the rare monster colored 1864 indian proof 65 rb

i like the 1865 rare monster ultra cameo seated dollar

i like the 1880 cameo trade dollar really monster look and uncommon as such

i like the blue colored isabella also an extremely uncommon coin looking like that

for me all the above coins are extremely uncommon with the above looks and other qualities thereof

the 1864 has to be one of the finest known bar none proof 1864 bronze no L indians

the seated dollar 1865 ultra cameo also a rare coin

the trade really rare with that kind of eye appeal

the blue colored isabella definately in the top 5% of all ms65 isabellas and rarw with that kind of color

sincerely michael

i absolutely love this coin thread and the posts

when true coins are discussed it is all good and a good read

sincerely michael

cant keep a great thread down for too long!

sincerely michael

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file