Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grade these two Monster Neon 1913 Buffaloes...

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
They are so pretty... gotta love my new Reveal bulbs... they are amazing!

Type 1

Type 2...

Jeremy image
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I don't know enough to grade buffaloes but those sure are Purdy!image
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I won't try and grade them either, but I will say you took some fantastic photos. Very, very nice. the colors are great.
    Keep up the good work, I'll need some lessons in Baltimore. mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
    Hey Jeremy, the more I look at those the more I wonder if your Dad ever had them in his possessionimage
  • MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    It's a beautiful thing

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I like the type 1 much better than the flat ground on the type 2s

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Wow, 65's for eye appeal...........but i am not the best at buffalo's.........far from knowledgable
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark,

The reveal bulbs did it... I'm gonna do a post on them tomorrow- wait until you see the other stuff I shot!

John,

You suck image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    wow both coins have great eye appeal

i like the first one even better!

sincerely michael
  • Put these on the Buffalo thread of uscoins!!image
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405
    When you do your post tomorrow, please mention the wattage of the bulbs.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • from a wear standpoint, they look about XF-40.

Nice color though.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mark,

The reveal bulbs did it... I'm gonna do a post on them tomorrow- wait until you see the other stuff I shot!

John,

You suck image >>

Which wattage reveal bulbs did you get and what kind of a lamp did you put them in?

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
    60 watt, cheapest desk lamp I could get.

Frank, no way they're XF... if they're circulated, they've got to be around AU-58...
  • CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    I'd love to buy coins like that for XF money! image
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?

<< <i>John,

You suckimage >>

Play nice.image
  • tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Those buffs are a min of 58, but closer to 63/65 they are so hard to grade for me b/c of the strike quality and low relief.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    my early buffs are in pcgs type 1 MS64 and type 2 MS63 holders and both yours look more like the type 2 about the same weak strick as on yours. personly I don't care for that kind of toning. I like the deep colored rim toning myself

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Nice pic's Airplanenut! I love the color. I'll also think that the coins aren't Unc. Type 1's are known for very sharp strikes, and yours is either very weakly struck ( a possibility), or worn. The second coin looks more like wear than weakly struck.
    Look at the bison's head, and the lack of detail, and also the lack of definition at the tail. The braid area on both coins is also lacking detail, quite a bit in fact.
    Believe me, I'm not poopooing the coins. I LIKE the look of those two coins.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • I wonder about the color.

• << <i>
    Frank, no way they're XF... if they're circulated, they've got to be around AU-58...
    >>

IF they're circulated????

Start with the horn on the reverse and work your way out to the shagginess of the Buffalo head. WHile teh horn is full, the head is worn on both - more than AU, in my opinion.

Also, check out where the tail comes back around over the hind quarter. It is faded in at the end.

Likewise on the obverse, check the feathers as well as the band around the hair. No detail.

They may not be 40, but they certainly aren't 58.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Is it just me or do these look AT to anybody else?

<< <i>Also, check out where the tail comes back around over the hind quarter. It is faded in at the end.

Likewise on the obverse, check the feathers as well as the band around the hair. No detail. >>

The tail and band near the hair look just like those on my 38-D... which is slabbed as a 66.

There's no flat part on the hind that is the absolute giveaway of circulation...

• << <i>

<< <i>Also, check out where the tail comes back around over the hind quarter. It is faded in at the end.

Likewise on the obverse, check the feathers as well as the band around the hair. No detail. >>

The tail and band near the hair look just like those on my 38-D... which is slabbed as a 66.

There's no flat part on the hind that is the absolute giveaway of circulation... >>

if either of those are 66, I am incredibly stupid and have no business even looking at coins let alone buying them.

<< <i>if either of those are 66, I am incredibly stupid and have no business even looking at coins let alone buying them. >>

I don't think they're 66, I'm just stating that I see pretty much the same features on these buffs as my 66. Could the toning be showing in such a way at parts to look like additional wear?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file