Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: Lost 1913 Liberty nickel- what do you think happened to it?

POLL: The lost 1913 Liberty nickel- what do you think happened to it? And I would like you to tell me the reasons why you feel the way you do about what happened to it.
image"Darkside" gold

Comments

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I don't know much of the history but it seems very unlikely that something legal with that value would be held secretly for all these years and the car wreck story seems too Hollywood. I voted that it never existed. Nothing but a guess of course.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No question it existed. Eric Newman owned all five & he is still with us!

I believe it is owned by an anonymous collector.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I don't have it.
  • Options
    None of the above (please be more specific) ~ It's in that acrylic coin toilet seat sold on EBay last week
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    lol great responses~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

it is owned by a person who knows exactly what they have!!

second scenerio and it may beat the first as above

it is secreted somewhere and yet has to be found or discovered and the interesting thing is that it is probably in plain sight but that is usually the best hiding place

sincerely michael
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We know there were five. It must be in someones hands.

I just hope they knows what they have and not just stuck in some closet.
    Larry

• Options
    I think Thing has it.
    Rotten Rodney
    "There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental
    illness."
    Remember. ... First pillage, Then burn

• Options
    rwhiterwhite Posts: 326
    It's in some dealer's pickout box labeled as 'counterfeit' for $.50. image
    -Ryan-
  • Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Probably in a box, in a closet, with a bunch of other coins someone inherited and they don't have a clue as to what they have!
  • Options
    The coin is obviously part of a small hoard left to my father and now kept in his attic at an unknown location. It will be found by me when I finally get to go through those small metal and cardboard boxes next month. Hey, I can dream can't I? OK, so the coin won't be there, but the stash is, and from what I understand, there are going to be lots of IHC's, MOrgans, and Walkers just waiting to be seen. Am losing sleep already.
  • Options
    Well hidden in some rich persons stash. They are being smart and keeping their mouth shut as to where it is because its illegal to own the coin.
  • Options
    I haven't seen it since my son asked for ice cream money last yearimage

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • Options
    I think it was stolen during the investigation of the car wreck by a
    cop or an accident investigator and the thing is too hot and too hard
    to produce provenance without getting somebody busted. image
    In response to a UFO story: "If it wasn't a plane, it just may have been something else."-George Noory
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I think the tracing of the provenance of the coin forward from Newman makes it fairly certain that R J Reynolds probably did own it at one time, but whether or not he sold it privately before his death is open to debate. The Reynolds family claims they do not have it. So either it was sold before Reynolds death and the owner is keeping quiet, or the family doesn't know they have it (Reynolds liked to build model ships and there is some speculation that the nickel may be inside one of them.), or the family has it but isn't admitting to it so as to keep from being bothered about it.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it is in an ACG slab sandwiched between a 1878-O and a 1894-CC Morgan.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it was stolen during the investigation of the car wreck by a
    cop or an accident investigator and the thing is too hot and too hard
    to produce provenance without getting somebody busted. image >>

Surely any statute of limitations would have run out by now? Let's say it was a cop -- with the statute of limitations expired, he wouldn't be prosecuted. He might get fired from the force, but with a multimillion dollar coin in his possession, I doubt he'd care.

I'm actually of the opinion that the current owner has no idea what he has. I think either someone from the Reynolds clan or somebody from the accident scene found it and spent it. Then someone else (a non-coin collector) got it and thought "There's a strange old nickel" and put it where all non-collectors put strange old coins -- in a dresser drawer, or a jar somewhere. And there it remains.
  • Options
    For some crimes, the statute of limitations begins when he crime is first discovered, for some crimes , when someone is first charged with the crime (IE: modern DNA puts elderly people behind bars who committed crimes 50 years ago).
  • Options
    I found it on a North Carolina highway where it had been run over by several cars. I sent it in to ACG and it came back MS 70. Since I have the finest of the 5, I'm keeping it.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There may be a statute of limitations on theft, but the original owner still retains title to the coin (unless it is a treasure trove, in which case the finder has certain rights). So even if you stole the coin and weren't prosecuted, the original owner can still litigate (although proving you were the owner at the time of the theft may not be easy in this case).
  • Options
    DracoDraco Posts: 512
    The coin was stolen and the thief (coin liberator) has it in his/her private collection. It will probably surface with some incredible but untrue story behind it in about 10 to 20 years (2013 has a nice ring to it). One more thing would be that whoever has it would never be tempted by a 1 million or even 100 million dollar reward. The coin is priceless to them.

If I had it, this is how I'd feel about it.
  • Options
    HalfsenseHalfsense Posts: 600 ✭✭✭
    Where's the missing 1913 Liberty Head nickel?
    It was inside Sammy Sosa's bat until last night......
    "If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I found it in my dryer after a sock disappeared.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    I think it's qwned today by an anonymous collector who wishes to keep his ownership of the coin a secret.
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    I'm going out on a limb, I say it's gone forever. I believe it existed, but I think it's probably under a lot of soil right now, buried with someone or under three miles of ocean. JMO.
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    I was thirsty and was a nickel short for the vending machine.image
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    It was scattered in the car crash and pretty soon some metal detectorer is gonna find it.
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    I think it was picked up at the scene of the accident along, with a bunch of other coins, by somebody who saw a chance to grab the coins without being caught. That person did not have a clue that such a rarity was included in the group. Then that person either passed away and his/her heirs received the coins, or he sold them at a garage or yard sale, or perhaps even a dealer. The person who bought the coins probably assumed that the 1913 nickel was counterfeit and labeled it as such. So, somewhere in the world exists a counterfeit 1913 nickel that isn't really a counterefeit.
    Matt
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iclugza is most likely correct. I am aware of at least one anonymous owner who may well have it. The coin in question may well get slabbed by a major grading service in the near future but it would not surprise me if he swears the grading service to secrecy as I doubt this person really cares about the million dollar plus reward and is probably more motivated to have it authenticated for estate planning purposes due to his age.
  • Options
    It is sitting in a very old collection, and the owner is soaking up all the FREE publicity,
    and has already been in touch with a major auction house planning to sell it in the very near future..... (my guess)

(now, is that a run on sentance, or what?)
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe anyone voted "it never exsisted" because Neuman is still alive and he said he owned five. In fact, I talked to him about it on a hotel bus to the ANA show in Denver in 1996. image That was the one question I had to ask the guy. He DID own FIVE nickels.

I think someone owns it that is just keeping quiet OR doesn't know they own it, such as an estate. I mean, does anyone out there know who owns the 1822 $5 gold peice?

jom
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is sitting in a very old collection, and the owner is soaking up all the FREE publicity,
    and has already been in touch with a major auction house planning to sell it in the very near future..... (my guess)

(now, is that a run on sentance, or what?) >>

I strongly suspect that this is correct. It won't surprise me though, if the owner, undoubtedly "old" money, never reveals his identity.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    4 people owned all of them according to the ANA 1. Samuel W. Brown 2. August Wagner 3. Colonel E.H.R. Green 4. Eric Newman/BG. Johnson. They were all sold together until 1941 when the set was split up the four still known are owned by Dwight Manley,The Smithsonian, Legend Numismatics, and the ANA. I think it is currectly in an anonymous collection BTW.
  • Options
    It never existed. It was an altered date that fooled most of the people until the car crash. image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it is in an anonymous collection, and the heirs don't know they have it because it was tucked away by some collector who has passed. The family simply doesn't know what they have.

(It is my guess)image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Purposely destroyed because it was a fake, the last owner got his glory and wants it to remain that way! I would really have to check out the others good before I ever thought about buying one(if I had the money)!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    If it was a counterfiet how did Samuel Brown get it from the mint in 1913 along with the other 4?
  • Options
    I tol you before, I'm not selling for less then 2 million !!!! Now quit bothering me about it !!!
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    Its with Elvis. The King is hiding out on an uncharted South Pacific island to live the rest of his days in peace. I heard he was thinking about making a comeback but he got word that Lisa Marie had married Michael Jackson and did not want to deal with the humiliation. When someone discovers where this island is then we will know where the fifth nickel is.

There is a vast right wing conspiracy. I know because I am part of it!

• Options

<< <i>If it was a counterfiet how did Samuel Brown get it from the mint in 1913 along with the other 4? >>

Did you see him get it? image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    Who cares? IMO it hass been hyped almost as shamelessly as the 1804 dollar. I consider both to be "fantasy" pieces and not legitimate US coinage. How is this any different from the mules created purposely by Mint employees for their own profit? Now if another 1933 Saint or a 1964 Peace dollar surfaces I can understand some excitement.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    KlectorKid, The Walton coin, found at the wreck site, was proved to be altered!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    While it is true that the coin believed to have been found at the Walton accident site which in any event ended up in the hands of his heirs was altered, it is generally accepted that Walton did have the original at one time. Apparently he was too much of a wheeler and dealer to have held onto it for as long as he otherwise would have had to. It is likely that the deal he struck with its purchaser was that the buyer would keep his ownership of the original anonymous and thus allow Walton to continue to brag about his now substitute coin with the attendant publicity it brought him. Interestingly I just found a photo of Walton and Pittman together at the 1948 ANA Convention in the October Numismatist that Nencoin of Northeast Numismatics sent me. Who knows, maybe that was where the exchange took place. Given Pittman's other acquisitions it is tough to imagine that he didn't make an attempt to get the original coin from Walton.
  • Options
    I'm not talking about the crash I'm saying that there were 5 minted and 1 is missing and no one knows if there was a real one even in the car it could be lost some where else. I doesnt matter if they found a counterfiet.
  • Options
    imageimage

OK here is the photo from the October 1948 Numismatist showing George Walton surrendipitously slipping the 1913 Liberty nickel into John Pittman's hands in exchange for a pledge of secrecy as to Pittman's now ownership of the original 1913 Liberty Nickel! (Note the photographer conveniently cropped out the hands but the grins on Pittman and Walton's faces are a sure give away!!!)

Now for the rest of the story we will have to await whoever ended up with the coin to come forward.
  • Options
    And now the rest of the story has surfaced. Let's give Walton credit where credit is due. The "buyer" may well have ended up getting the altered nickel and Walton held onto the original!!!! The buyer sworn to secrecy never found out he was duped and Walton ended up pulling off the greatest con of the century by showing off his "altered nickel" while telling everyone he still had access to the original! You have to wonder if his heir who wrote the ruse note on the envelope was in on the secret and knew that if she came forward claiming the altered coin was genuine that the real buyer would learn of his misfortune!

I vaguely recall that one of the more detailed articles about the history of the coin referenced a lack of cooperation by the now deceased relative to allow the "altered coin" to be examined during her lifetime.

Note too the disclosures from the family confirming there was no other 1913 Liberty Nickel found at the accident site or anywhere else after Walton's death despite the fact that Walton publicly claimed the nickel he was showing and carrying around was altered.

I guess there could still be another chapter to this story if the secret purchaser who got duped is still alive or if his heirs now come forward.
  • Options
    <- was right image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just hope they knows what they have and not just stuck in some closet. >>

Bwuahahahahahahaha!!!!! Psychic on board!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Ah - but pictures don't lie. Actually the quality of that photo does look like it came from a seance!image
  • Options
    ttt - for p-----johnny
  • Options
    ttt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file