Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where's the cheapest place to buy Ikes in any condition?

I am trying to find a good deal on Ikes but I'm not sure what a good deal is!imageimage

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ikes in any condition?image

Circulated ones are only worth face value, and will continue to be that way for the foreseeable furture.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Does ANACS slab Ikes
  • Options
    Yes, ANACS slabs Ikes.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Welcome.

We carry them and so do many others - I would first check out the PCGS Price Guide then ebay and look for eye appeal. Does the coin have haze or milk spots?

Here is our website: Cameo CC Web site
    Hope this helps.

Todd
    Todd Abbey
  • Options
    misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭
    Any condition? Run an ad on the BST board and offer $1.20 each and see how many you are offered. You can do the same with Numismatic News free ads. Try coin shops or coin shows, circs. sell for barely over face.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    the cheapest place to buy ikes in any condition is the local bank i get some/many each week when they have them and i spend them

i started asking some banks in my area politely and i usually get good responses

sincerely michael
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Hey 007,

I like your handle.....wanna trade, I'm getting tired of 'dragon'

dragon
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Circ Ikes wholesale at $1.20. This is low enough that postage eats up much of the
    premium to face, so if you find them physically you can usually get a discount to whole-
    sale. You'll have no luck at the fed or it's branches, but most banks will have a few on
    occasion. These may be earmarked to specific customers in most cases.

You may find some nice varieties but 40% silver Denvers are a fluke.

It's interesting to note that all the '74 to '78 uncs traded at this same price until 1998
    and now some go as high as $4.25!
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Dragon, I'd love to trade but I am just starting to collect so I don't have to much and I don't have much money.image
  • Options

First of all welcome. Second, let us know how you like your Ikes (shaken or stirred). Sorry, it is Friday, so I wanted to start the bad humor.

Seriously, are you looking for slabbed or raw, UNC or circulated (I know, decisions, decisions). These boards are a good place (BS&T) as is eBay. Cladking has a good point in that when I sell circulated Ikes individually, shipping takes up about half the overall price, so you may want to consider buying a few together.

Good luck with your search and keep asking as quite a few folks on these boards may be able to help you.
    My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Try all the banks in your area. Many of the banks here get Ikes in all the time. They don't go through the coin counters so they end up stored in the safe. All you need to do is ask!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    With 15 Ikes in MS-68 on one submission, this guy seems to know where to find the good ones:

MS-68
  • Options
    The cheapest place to get them in any condition is at your bank. It wouldn't be unusual to get several in AU condition, depending on the bank.

Good luck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file