Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

anyone dealt with Jack Beymer in Santa Rosa, CA?

I get his mail price sheet every so often but have not made it to his shop. His prices are strong and I see his name around the numismatic community. Good quality or high priced? Any experiences?

thanks,
Matt
"the world is full of kings and queens, they blind your eyes and steal your dreams, it's Heaven and Hell"

Comments

• Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    I consider him to be overpriced.
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Jack is a colleague of mine. He is an experienced and honest dealer. You will get everything that you pay for. A professional of the highest caliber.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever the price, about a jillion people have bought coins from him. He's been around since coins were invented.
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    Ive talked with him at shows and he's a very pleasant fella. He's gots lots of inventory; some very good. However, I've never bought a coin from him. I feel that his prices are far too high. With patience, you will find coins elsewhere that are as good or better.

Veep
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Here are the facts about Jack Beymer.

1. Nice gentleman and veteran numismatist.
    2. Quality service and conservative grading.
    3. Grossly overpriced.

Brian.
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    His prices are high, he is a retailer, but He is as honest as they come when it comes to grade, service, opinions, etc. He has been around forever. Besides my own positive dealings with him, I've never heard anything negative.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    I did a deal with him once. I was very pleased with his professionalism.

As Santa Rosa is near the Silicon Valley I see him and his wife at all the Santa Clara and San Jose shows. He usually has a pretty good selection of nice coins. I never did find a second coin at a price I wanted to pay though...
  • Options
    thanks for input, sounds pretty consistent with wingedliberty summing it up.

matt

"the world is full of kings and queens, they blind your eyes and steal your dreams, it's Heaven and Hell"
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jack seems more overpriced than he really is because his grading is more conservative than most other retailers. I've managed to buy
    a fair number of coins from him and resold most of them quickly at decent profits.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    I think he has the largest inventory of Colonial and Early U.S coins of anyone. I bought my first and only
    Fugio Cent from him in 1987, for only $20. The chain reverse is a weak Good, the front only has about 1/3 of the design visible. Even so, not something you'd get for $20 today. I also recall he had an AG, holed Pine tree 3 pence ( or some such ) advertised for $225. I wish I'd grabbed it then! His prices do tend to be full retail, but like other have said, he does seem to be a conservative grader. He's afforded me the opportunity to obtain some hard-to-find Colonial types because I've gone after his bargain-priced problem pieces.
  • Options
    Just echoing what has already been said. Good, honest dealer, quality coins, but prices on the strong side. Also, he seems to have a larger inventory than most other dealers.

I've purchased some nice type coins from him on three different occasions, all at the Long Beach Show. I tend not to purchase "classic" coins through the mail, so I can't add anything about return policies, etc.
    Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    I have sold a few items to him as I know he sells high and tends to buy higher than others. I have not bought from him as his prices on graded coins are a little to high for me.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll echo what everybody has said. Great guy, lots of coins, full retail, grades very conservitive and you can return any coin for any reason no questions ask.

Jon

PS: I've bought hundreds of coins from him and have sold hundreds of coins to him.
  • Options
    I'd buy from him based on what folks have said about him...but I sure hate paying that California sales tax.image
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    jack beymer resides firmly in my top-10 dealers list. he aims high w/ prices, but he will definitely wheel & deal.

this is why i do not like david-lawrence - they aim their prices simliarly high, but will not come down.

beymer is an exceptional grader too. i would not hesitate to recommend him, not in the slightest

also, beymer will pay proportionally more for your choice coins.

i have both bought & sold to this gentleman w/ great success

K S
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    Very honest. His wife is very nice, too. His grades are conservative, so he is not really charging too much. Kind of a smoke-n-mirrors thing....EF looking coin is graded as VF, but he charges the EF retail price. I still like Jack as a dealer.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

P Johnny,

You don't have to pay the tax unless you live in Calif. or you are in Calif when you buy.

Jon
  • Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Jack Beymer is one of the true good guys in the coin market. Conservative grading and he's very honest.

David Hall
  • Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    Jack's just plain good people. Honest, excellent grader, fair to deal with and has an inventory that should please just about all. He is not really over priced as some have said. Just look at the inventory selection he has for all to choose from. This inventory selection comes at a great cost and he is entitled to make an honest and fair profit for having such a wide range of inventory. Do not think twice about dealing with Jack or Sandra Beymer....they are good people and good dealers.

My two cents.

Mike Printz
    My Site
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

Jack is a gentleman and a very knowledgeable dealer who has also been extremely helpful to me. Jack grades very conservatively, and he prices his coins on the high side - as do many of the better, more reputable dealers.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see......hmmmm.....

Grades conservatively.........
    Has large inventory..............
    Courteous...........................
    Long time in business..........

........but........RETAIL PRICING ??????

Time to heat the tar and pluck the chicken.

Many messages in this thread.
  • Options
  • Options

oops - i did it again......my apologies

topstuf: the fella is a retailer, so what's the big suprise? i dont get it. Bowers and other such retailers have relied on a "quality coins" pitch and have been slaying retail customers for eons.

Anyway, props to Jack Beymer all the way around - a very good man.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought Coins from his establishment in the 80's and even drove the 400 miles to see his inventory of Merc Dimes. The drive was worth it as a pleasant experience was had. Have bought a couple of slabbed coins, NGC, that crossed to PCGS. Looks to me he does concentrate on Quality Coins. They were not cheap though. Reguardless of the price his establishment is a Class Act.

Ken
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    In my stupid early years ago I would stumble through the coin mail orders on sight unseen raw coins getting royally ripped along the way. In that bracket he was the best for honest quality coins at retail prices which is what I expected as Joe consumer buying coins off the shelf. He fills a niche for that type of buyer which obviously I:m not now so havn:t dealt with him lately.

My ebay auction(s)
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    I have an interesting experience to relate with the one and only time I've done business with Beymer. And it's not a positive one, unlike most of what I've seen here.

I was looking for an 1875 3CN in nice circulated condition to fill a hole in my Littleton 3CN collection. There's some real low grade and problem material out there for this date but after 2 years I was feeling a little desperate finding a nicer, problem free coin. I've heard that even though Beymer charges stupidly high prices on his material that you'll get something decent (so perhaps the price wouldn't be really all that high).

On a whim, I called his store even though I saw no 1875's for sale in his latest listing. The lady who answered was very nice and she noted that they happened to have a very nice, XF 1875 3CN for sale. She noted it was very eye appealing and problem free. It was $58.50 which was very strong money for an XF 1875 (this was a few months ago now). I said what the heck, "ship it!" I was desperate, I'll pay a premium, especially if it's all there.

I get the coin a few days later and within 10 seconds after looking at it I was dialing his phone number. Within a minute after opening the envelope containing the coin, I was telling the lady on the other end how disappointed I was and that I was sending it back for a refund. She seemed truly concerned and regretted my discontent with the coin.

The first thing that was noticeable was that the coin was no XF. Perhaps a coin with okay VF details (VF25...maybe someone could argue VF30 based on a poor strike). The reverse details were that of a Fine coin and were very mushy. True, these coins rarely struck up very nice, if at all. The obverse hair details were largely flat. If this was more of a strike problem than a wear situation, then it was still a poor coin to charge the premium he was asking.

The second thing was simply unforgiveable and basically set me against buying anything from him sight-unseen again. There was a pin/staple-scratch going through the top of Liberty's head all the way to the rim. Perhaps not obvious when looked at dead on, but pretty obvious when tilting the coin around. This coin was not worth any price to me and a no-brainer return item.

If they had mentioned the staple-scratch, I would have never requested the coin. I wasted by time, materials, postage, and insurance getting that overgraded, damaged coin back to him. I wrote a note requesting the postage/insurance back which I spent to send that mistake back. I realize it was doubtful that I would get a favorable response, but I did not expect the response I did get back.

Tom sent me a note back, with the credit refund slip, stating that the (so-called) "scratch" was microscopic and he couldn't believe I'd make a big deal about it and there was no way they would refund my postage. Sorry, Tom....that was no "microscopic" scratch.

Ever since, I've been soured towards anything offered by Beymer in his ads and I would doubt everything (like I would most of the advertisers).

Maybe he's a great guy and this is a rare mistake, but they knew I was a first time customer and first impressions are everything. I'll preview his stuff at a show, if I ever see him at a show, but I will never again buy anything sight unseen from him. It's a bummer, because I expected much more than I actually got.

Oddly enough, less than a month later, I won an NGC XF40 1875 3CN on eBay that was perfect. I paid $41 (total) for the transaction and I got pretty exactly what I wanted. Although, I'm still looking for a raw one to put in my album (I'm silly about not wanting to break coins out of their plastic).

Yet another lesson learned.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's my Jack Beymer story....................

i remember him as one of the first dealers i purchased from in the mid-60's, Lincoln Cents from an ad in a coin magazine. now, fast-forward to the 2003 Baltimore ANA where i finally had a chance to meet him, shake his hand and thank him for helping a young collector get started in this great hobby. ah, but there's a funny twist!!!!

a few months earlier i had won an auction lot at a club i belong to, a reference on United States Early Silver Dollars by M. H. Bolender, and inside was a Jack Beymer price list from 1982. i showed it to him and asked if the prices were still in effect!!!!!image

• Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    he has nice coins ive bought and sold many times with jack . he is an honest good guy!
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    LouisCampLouisCamp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    Wow, replace Jack's name with PCGS. Sort of works the same way, don't you think?

Conservative grading = stronger money......

Lou

lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    You'll notice that all the dealers -- folks who know the Beymers well -- think extremely highly of them as people and numismatists. Add my name.

David Hall himself imparted an important piece of wisdom when I worked for CU/B+M: Any industry has three goals: excellent service, superb product, and low prices. Any individual company can only choose which two of those they can offer.

If you surveyed collectors 10 years after the fact, asking them how pleased they were with nice coins they had to pay a strong price for, I think they would indicate that those pieces are the coins they valued most in the long run.

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I've bought from Jack on several occasions. I've been pleased with all but one coin I received from him (cleaned). Returned, no problem.
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Jack is ok. His prices are high but so is his quality. With him, you do get what you pay for. He's also a tough old guy who doesn't bend a lot in terms of negotiating a price.

I've bought from him before and I will do so again. He's good on his classic commems.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you surveyed collectors 10 years after the fact, asking them how pleased they were with nice coins they had to pay a strong price for, I think they would indicate that those pieces are the coins they valued most in the long run. >>

Yep. Occasionally, I get a bout of "buyers' remorse" if I think I way overpaid for a PQ coin. But over time, that fades and you're still left with a lovely coin to enjoy for a long time.

When you pay an average price for a dog, you're stuck with the fleas and you're reminded of it again and again, and you are reminded of its shortcomings.

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I think Jack is totally honest and I like his wife, I personally do not deal with him. I find him to be a bit of a curmudgeon. He doesnt like me much either, probably thinks I am an arrogant young a$$ of a collector who likes to play both sides by dealing. He is not easy to buy from IMO, although Andy seems to have success. I have bought only one coin from him and I made good money on it, but I think he slipped momentarily image Maybe I am not educated enough to see the vast amounts of good deals in his case image

Stupid as I am, I always try and bury the hatchet with him. Take for example my most recent run in. I was selling a very nice seated half, PQ, totally original and a very tough date...a date actually that he had mentioned before from one of our first run ins that he would pay very strong money for. (I try and remember things like this)

Anyway, I walked up to the table and said hello and asked him if was interested in the coin and that it was 4000$ if he was. He went straight for his sheet. As he reached, I, trying to be helpful, said, "It is between 63 and 64 money". He looked at me and sarcastically asked if I could get it into a 63.5 holder. Slightly peeved, I told him that it already was. He offered me 3000$ for the coin, to which I replied that I couldnt do that, I was in the coin 3800$. To which his final response was, "It isnt my job to make you a profit, that is yours." in a very snotty tone.

If I had been a wiser man, I would have just walked away. Instead I intentially picked out two average looking coins in his case and asked Sandra what the prices were. He had an AU53 bust dime R4 variety and in the condition census. The coin was undergraded in an Old PCGS holder, was a 58 but wasnt original. Sandra quoted me 100$ under 63 money. I asked Jack if he had any room, which I am sure he did, but sensing where I was going he said he didnt, that it was " a very nice coin", and threw the coin back down on the case. (I hate that btw...why throw coins, except to show superiority or apathy). I picked it up, looked at him, shook my head and handed the coin back to Sandra and walked away.

Like I said before, he is honest, but his markups are high...he is old school full retailer.

Flame away!! Green trees dont burn image
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Old School" accurately describes Beymer.
  • Options
    Jack is one of the true honest dealers out there. Very conservative grading and has a great eye. He is very fair and deals in so many coins that he can make mistakes when grading. Heck, even the TPG make mistakes. If, his secretary failed to describe the scratch that does not mean she lied to you or Jack himself. Jack has sold me coins in the past at very fair prices. He even down grades coins from the TPG grades if he dissagrees and will sell it at a grade below even if the holder says something else. He buys back coins at very competitive prices and gives you a very fair offer. He is truly one in a million. I have delt with him for years and will continue to do so. Also, I don't think you mentioned speaking to him. You spoke to his employees if it was Jack he probably would pay you the difference. Better yet please P.M me I will pay you for the coin itself or the cost you are trying to get refunded. May, I mention Jack is a major player in the market and has been for over 40 years he plays with some of the major rare coins and am sure he would replace this one easily as it is not worth the headache. Like I said please P.M me I will buy the coin back from you myself cover all costs to ship it to me or I will send you the refund you are trying to get back.
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I
    Tom sent me a note back, with the credit refund slip, stating that the (so-called) "scratch" was microscopic and he couldn't believe I'd make a big deal about it and there was no way they would refund my postage. Sorry, Tom....that was no "microscopic" scratch.

q]

Are we talking about the same guy here?
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll refrain from commenting on Jack personally as I have little to no experience. I will say his actual shop is not what i expected when I first visited though. Pretty small with (IMO) too many people working behind the counter lol. Not the best layout I've seen but not the worst either.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I've not purchased from him in years, but when I did, he graded extremely well if not conservative. It was a nice surprise receiving coins that were actually better looking than I expected. Perhaps other dealers have jaded me.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grumpy ol' codger.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Jack is one of the true honest dealers out there. Very conservative grading and has a great eye. He is very fair and deals in so many coins that he can make mistakes when grading. Heck, even the TPG make mistakes. If, his secretary failed to describe the scratch that does not mean she lied to you or Jack himself. Jack has sold me coins in the past at very fair prices. He even down grades coins from the TPG grades if he dissagrees and will sell it at a grade below even if the holder says something else. He buys back coins at very competitive prices and gives you a very fair offer. He is truly one in a million. I have delt with him for years and will continue to do so. Also, I don't think you mentioned speaking to him. You spoke to his employees if it was Jack he probably would pay you the difference. Better yet please P.M me I will pay you for the coin itself or the cost you are trying to get refunded. May, I mention Jack is a major player in the market and has been for over 40 years he plays with some of the major rare coins and am sure he would replace this one easily as it is not worth the headache. Like I said please P.M me I will buy the coin back from you myself cover all costs to ship it to me or I will send you the refund you are trying to get back. >>

First off, let me note that you can't be PM'd...you have to remember to turn that on.

Second, as noted in my last post here, I already sent it back and did receive the refund (w/o my side of the postage...which would have been out of the norm anyway). I do appreciate your offer, but I'm already out of his coin and into another one from someone else
  • Options

<< <i>Grumpy ol' codger. >>

That's my experience too. However, he's one of a few that actually occasionally downgrades TPG coins he has for sale.

I offered him a nice 1901 S NGC VG08 quarter at a Long Beach show awhile ago, and he said he would sell it as a good. Mybe so, maybe no. Another dealer was glad to have it at VG $$.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    No problems here. A little on the high side but other than that...........image
  • Options

Jack and Sandra are the best! Jack is a true numismatist and they are very fair, honest dealers. I buy from them often and I make money on everything I purchase. Therefore, his prices can't be too high. image

Jack Beymer is one of my favorite dealers.

Dennis
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    I've bought from Jack a few times with no problems. Always at shows.

Ray
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I stopped at Jack Beymer's table regularly back around 15 or 20 years ago, even stopped at his shop twice when wine touring. In all those times I never managed to buy a single coin from him, prices were always too high compared with other dealers at the shows. The last years I don't bother to stop at his table.

Funny how some of us have far different opinions of Jack. He never seemed very friendly, or happy to spend time showing me his coins.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    It is obvious that you can not please everyone when you are in the retail trade. Jack is respected by most of his peers; a tough accomplishment in its own. No one dealer fits all needs or expectations. It is an experiential process.
    If I were a newer collector looking for a list of reputable coin dealers ; he should be on it. Whether he and his company would fit for you, would be clear after a few interactions.
    Trime
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in Nebraska and do not get out to California too often, but I sure hope a few of you could come to my funeral when I die.... I am looking for some good EULOGISTS ... I have seen through this thread that NUMISMATISTS would make great EULOGISTS ... from a good guy, to experienced to a grumpy ole codger

ha ha ha ha

I can say in reading the pages of comments here, that I would do business with JACK BEYMER anyday, and of course, I would do business with anyone, anytime and repeat business too, so long as we are both smiling after the transaction and they LOOK ME IN THE EYE WHEN TALKING.

There is a saying in a lot of businesses that goes like this : IF THEY AIN'T image.... YOU AIN'T CHARGIN' ENOUGH

Ask yourself this question : HOW WOULD YOU LIKE YOUR NAME PUT UP ON THE FORUM PAGE ASKING THE WORLD WHAT THEY THOUGHT OF YOU AS A CUSTOMER ? (food for thought)

ALSO, wouldn't it have been fairer to go meet Jack and make a determination yourself as to his character or his prices ?

I apologize for sounding disrespectful in any way, but asking EVERYONE about someone you haven't met just doesn't seem right in determining whether you do business with them or not.
    Trust instinct, not gossip.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Amen! image
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    I have been to Jack Beymer's shop in the Coddingtown Mall in Santa Rosa a few times and I have had pleasant dealings with him so far. It is true, however that his prices are often very high.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file