Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone remember??? Post your favorite collecting memory

I remember as a kid how much I wanted to be able to pull the "RARE" filler out of my Whitman Merc folder for the 16-D slot....... Once I realized that no one could see the reverse once it was in the album, I yanked it out and put in a 16 P..... I was the HERO amongst the other 10 year olds on my block !!!!
Cam-Slam 2-6-04
3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
4 "YOU SUCKS"
Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
Seated Halves are my specialty !
Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
(1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image

Comments

• Options
    Being paid for a week's worth of newspapers with 7 Mercury Dimes at Christmas time. They were in a Whitman folder.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh so many....

Well, I'd say my favorite collecting memory was from when I was about eight or nine years old. My grandmother bought a VG 20 cent piece for me. I remember it was $36. That was a fortune for me at the time. I got more satifaction out of owning that coin than probably any I have ever had. I still have it. It will never be sold.

David
  • Options
    Here is my favorite coin collecting memory.
    Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.
  • Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    Earning the Boy Scouts' Coin Collecting Merit Badge in 1971.
  • Options
    I bought a PCGS PR-68DCAM Kennedy half dollar off Strat about 3 years ago at a show. That started my interest in certified coins.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a young lad in the 70's I had little money and my family was on our church's welfare. I remember saving up my birthday money and taking a city bus down to Monarch coin in Salt Lake City and buying a beautiful Proof 1961 Quarter at the height of the silver boom. Just the vast array of coins in the place was awe-inspiring.

I remember seeing coins marked at $60.00 or $70.00 and thinking that it was a fortune beyond anybody's hope to afford coins at those prices.

I still love the place, the smell, the display cases, the coins.

Tyler
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    laughing at walter breen as he stumbled around the ana bourse floor, high as a kite

K S
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a ten year old collector, I had saved up $50 (including my recent birthday money) and my mother drove me to New York to visit the coin shops. I had my heart set on a few circulated key date Lincolns to fill in some holes. I had visited some other shops before, most notably a company called "Tru-Value" (does anyone know who owned that company?), but this time I thought I'd stop at Stacks first. After a long wait at the counter, a man in a suit came to the counter and offered to help me. I told him what I wanted and he turned around, pulled out a tray of coins, and laid them before me. I had found the mother lode! He had every coin I needed! I calmly asked the price on several of them and then, calm but disappointed, said Thanks and Goodbye.

I walked two blocks to Tru-Value and bought the same coins for 40% less.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    I remember when I was about 13 or so going to feed the cat. I was pouring the dry cat food out when out came a buffalo nickel, inside one of those protective wrappers. I looked at the bag and they were having one of those promotional deals where there were coins inside all the bags, with a chance of getting the one bag that had a gold coin in it. I looked inside the cupboard and opened the next bag also and there was a mercury dime in that one. By the time my parents bought more cat food the promotion was over. But I had my first couple of coins for my collection, both were circulated and not worth much but it got me started.
  • Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trips with my dad to visit Bartlett's Coin Shop in Olean, NY, and a dealer who worked out of a private home (C.F.Smith & Co?)in LeRoy, NY in the early 1960s.
    Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options

@MrEureka said:
    As a ten year old collector, I had saved up $50 (including my recent birthday money) and my mother drove me to New York to visit the coin shops. I had my heart set on a few circulated key date Lincolns to fill in some holes. I had visited some other shops before, most notably a company called "Tru-Value" (does anyone know who owned that company?), but this time I thought I'd stop at Stacks first. After a long wait at the counter, a man in a suit came to the counter and offered to help me. I told him what I wanted and he turned around, pulled out a tray of coins, and laid them before me. I had found the mother lode! He had every coin I needed! I calmly asked the price on several of them and then, calm but disappointed, said Thanks and Goodbye.

My dad owned Tru-Value Coins; he died in 1973 and I recently found this thread because I happened to google the name of the store. If anyone else has any memories of Tru-Value, I'd love to hear them! Thanks!

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2021 10:30PM

@bridgerrrrr said:

@MrEureka said:

My dad owned Tru-Value Coins; he died in 1973 and I recently found this thread because I happened to google the name of the store. If anyone else has any memories of Tru-Value, I'd love to hear them! Thanks!

You might want to start a separate thread on the Tru-Value coin shop in NYC. Or better yet, a more general post on the NYC coin shop scene back in the 60’s and 70’s. The few people who may remember anything are less likely to find your comments buried in this thread.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bridgerrrrr ... Welcome aboard. Are you a collector or a dealer? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

My best memory was buying my first gold coin. I bought a $20 Saint in BU condition back in the mid 1960's for $47 from an ad in the back of Coin World. It was a 1927 and it would probably grade MS64 today. I cut a lot of lawns to buy that coin. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MJDMJD Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

I remember the excitement of getting a “welcome” letter from the Mint assigning me my very own customer number!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file