Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A philosophical View Part-2

BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
In part one of this series we discussed the quality of wisdom. Now I will explain why wisdom

alone is not enough.

Many centries ago, a well renowned and learned religious leader and philosopher, was

entertaining a friend who was a religious leader of much less renown. This friend practiced his calling

among the towns people and in the worst of areas. After a pleasing meal in the renowned mans

palacial dwelling, he asked his humble friend this question," Tell me of the faults you see in me".

The humble friend thought for a few minutes and answered thusly," You live in your great house,

reading all of your great books on religion and philosophy. You are a pious and a great learned man living

in these surroundings ,away from all sordidness and human temptations. But, if you lived with the

town folk, struggling to survive, knowing only hard labor and toil, surrounded by strong drink,

harlots and every vice and sinful temptation known to man, would you remain the pius man you are.

With that quiet response of the humble friend, the great man broke into tears, and asked his friend

for forgiveness for his arrogence and his presumption in thinking of himself in terms of perfection.

As in the above story, many people are wise, but are removed from their fellow humans,

they live in an "ivory tower of wisdom and arrogance" away from the demands of every day life.

No, wisdom alone is never enough without the nobility of the human spirit. The ability to reach

out to another human being with whatever you may have to offer. Sometimes it is knowledge,

sometimes advice. Some wise people have the great skill to weave wonderful stories, poems

and threads of wit and good cheer. For many wise souls, they are able to see the pain and suffering

in another and so they reach out with a kind word, a prayer of hope or a soft wish of good cheer.

Some without all of the learning and lacking in all of the experience reach out with all they have and

with a heart filled with compassion, raise money or donate time to a worthy cause. To be able to offer

a compliment, a kind word, a prayer to those in need. To pledge a helping hand or good advice or

instruction in the hobby are the things that truly make ones life worth living. Each of us doing what

we can, as best we can for another human being.

Every day, we see more of our members unemployed, more each day are being called to the colors

to go bravely in harms way. More members suffer ill health to themselves or loved ones and they come

to the forum for a kind word, a fairwell to those who will defend us, a healing prayer for all

in need. Yes we are a family, a big, brawling,disfunctional family. But amidst all of the shouting and

the arguments come thru the friendships the warmth and the knowledge, that people are here to

wish you well and to be considerate of your wellfare. Unlike the renowned man in his great house,

we are among the town folk, we know the harshness of toil, we understand sorrow and sadness,

we know what going off to war means to our members and their families.

In part 3, We will discuss some more of our observations of the human condition.
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Little Bear. You deserve some rest and jelly donuts.

Thank you for the thought provoking prose.

I look forward to part III.
  • Options
    ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    Very well put! It`s what Mother Teresa use to do. She says: " I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing god who is writing a love letter to the world. "
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    More!
  • Options
    I love it Bear. Great thoughts. TERRIFIC!image

matteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    struggling to survive, knowing only hard labor and toil, surrounded by strong drink, harlots and every vice and sinful temptation known to man, would you remain the pius man you are?

Such is the challenge experienced by every coin dealer!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Andy, I thought that was after the coin show, in the evening.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy: And not every CPA between April 13th and 20th?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy: When did you do your first show in New York (Grand Central and/or Metropolitan at the old Statler Hilton and then later that hotel on West 43rd Street & 8th Avenue in Manhattan (I forget the name) ?

This is going back to the very early 70's.

My philosophy: don't surround yourself with splendor except for coins!!!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep it coming Bear.

Just maybe some of these folks that have not had the chance to experience some of the Grand items of life, War, Poverty, and the like, just might learn a thing or two from you. Then again maybe thier arrogance may just get stronger.

Ken
  • Options
    Bear,

Awesome words, thoughts and feelings! Thank you for sharing them with us.

Mike
    DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

*** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I have heard a bear put it so well. I think this post just wiped away about 100 memories of reading posts of ill-will on this forum.

That is pure grace.

Thanks bear for your wisdom about the inadequacies of wisdom.

Doug
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that was after the coin show, in the evening

Bear - This is the age of 24 x 7! But if you're hinting that you want a personal tour of Baltimore this week, let me know!

Oreville - I probably didn't take a table in NYC until 81 or so. I started walking the shows about five years earlier.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    hey bear ain't that the truth.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Hmmm, so what's the place of trolls in the universe, Bear?
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Askari - Trolls are sad, bitter creatures unable to see the sun filled brightness

of the day. They live in shadows and see life devoid of color, joy and substance. They must thrive

on discord, negetive attention and anger as a vampire must feed on blood. Trolls add nothing to the

lives they touch and they gain nothing from life. To a Troll , they feel beset by a world that is hostile

alien and unfriendly. It seems a cold and barren existence and I feel compassion for them and for

the pain they must feel every minute of every day.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I'm getting dizzy..... Whats that BearCat speaking?
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Askari - Trolls are sad, bitter creatures unable to see the sun filled brightness

of the day. They live in shadows and see life devoid of color, joy and substance. They must thrive

on discord, negetive attention and anger as a vampire must feed on blood. Trolls add nothing to the

lives they touch and they gain nothing from life. To a Troll , they feel beset by a world that is hostile

alien and unfriendly. It seems a cold and barren existence and I feel compassion for them and for

the pain they must feel every minute of every day. >>

I always thought Trolls were squares with no coolness in em what-so-ever...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Bear,

Very eloquent. you know, I think many times we get caught up in our own troubles and
    problems and forget to reach to those we love and cherise because we think they will always
    be there............till they are not.........then it is to late. So, next chance you get reach out to
    that special person or even friend and tell them or communicate to them that wonderful
    gesture you have been putting because there is always tomorrow? Tomorrow may not
    come.

Fred
    Buy the best you can afford the first time around.

Fred
  • Options
    JJacksJJacks Posts: 759

Bear,

That was very good.image

Your writing shows you have a clear understanding of the group here and that despite the flaws and the differences, we find some way to get along when we have to and when we can join together to fight trolls, coin doctors, etc.

JJacks

Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    TTT for a Saturday night. For the Bear has shared. And since it's not my thread, and I can't shoot 'em, I'll just sit back and enjoy the fine words he issues forth.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Oh, I understand what they are, oh Beary Wise One, I was just seeking your wisdom on whether and what purpose they may have in the world ... just a thorn in the paw so we'll better appreciate those with untainted honeypots? image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Perhaps the time is right, to run this again.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Your request is my command.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I liked it better when you were smarter, 4 chapters from now...image

This will bread negativity, it is to look completely past the redirect, and focus directly into understanding.
    A gift of knowledge that we are making for the good of the masses, and mankind.
    Humblepie

I have found power in the mysteries of thought.

It is always a question of knowing and seeing, and not that of believing.

Our virtues, and our failings are inseparable, like force, and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for having introspect bear. You have a lot of cents in dem paws.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file