Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just returned from the LB show-Friday night

Since wednesday, spent almost 20 hours at the show. It seemed to be a light crowd but

those who were there, the little bear included, were spending big money. Today David Hall

held his advice program on Forum members as well as anyone elses coins. By in large, dealers

had been complaining for 3 days that they were not getting any crossovers or upgrades. In fact,

the PCGS Grading counter seemed slower then usual. Any how, David was most gracious with each

person in line and set no limit on the number of coins he would review. I showed him a box of 20 coins,

he advised me to submit 3 coins. Two of the coins Were NGC-MS-66 Commemoratives a wisconsin

and a beautiful golden toned Grant. Both coins crossed in samee grade. The third coin was an upgrade

of a PCGS holdered CommemorativeVermont in MS-66, but it did not upgrade. I think that 2 out of three

aint so bad.

For me it was an exciting time buying coins and meeting Braddick, Trade Doller Nut, Nuckelhead,

GSA Guy, Mark Feld, Greg, STman, Laura , Wonder coin, TBT, and too many other Forum

members for my tired little bear brain to remember. Saw TDNs tremendous Trade doller Set. It was

an awsome display of the finest Trade Dollars on the planet bar non. He even had a pattern in copper

which is probably unique. I think that the staff of PCGS really went out of their war to acknowledge the

Forum members and show us special attention. I for one was very appreciative of all their efforts.

I tried to buy something from every Forum member including Mike Printz and Mike DeFalco. Mark Feld

of Pinnacle was always available to review your coin purchases ,whether or not you bought anything from

him. While he was actually the only Forum member I did not buy from, he is looking for a number of items

for me and I will rectify that matter in the next month or so. Laura, From Legend, had a stupendous 1930-S

Standing Liberty Quarter in PCGS-MS66FH with booming Luster that just came in with two other

quarters. She lined them up and explained which was the best coin and why. I needed very little

convincing.The coin never left my hot little paw. Instead of eating 6 dollar Hotdogs at the ptomain

stand on the floor, I went back to the garden room at the Hyatt next store for the Buffet. Its just

salad and olives and pasta, but they did have clam chowder and 3 bowls of that seemd to do the

trick for me. While dealers complained about not being able to pick up top grade material, they seemed

to be selling to a steady stream of cash customers. I got a wonderful toned Kennedy from GSAGuy

that is rare, in that the Kennedies just dont seem to tone as other coins do. He really did not want to

sell the coin, but was most gracious in the end and I only had to beg and grovel for not more then 5-10

minutes. For those planning to go to the show on Saterday, I left a few coins for you, but you better

hurry in case I change my mind and go for a fourth day.
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Bear, it was a pleasure to finally meet you. I saw that JFK and it is a stunner. He has posted here before I think.

<< <i>He really did not want to sell the coin, >>

That's funny, he told me the same thing on a coin I bought from him.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    hi bear, thanks for the up-date. image any idea why it seemed to be slow?
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    No Idea at all. No one else seemed to have an explenation either.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear- It was a pleasure to meet you too and look at some of your treasures (guys: He's got the BLUEST Morgan I've ever laid eyes on!).

I also visited with that toned Kennedy and can attest it was the finest at the show.
    That is also quite the accomplishment to get GSAGUY to sell anything from his holdings!

My only mistake of the show?
    It was looking at GSAGUY'S "A" Box of Morgans BEFORE looking at other Dealers coins at the show. Like my wife pointed out, "Bryan spoiled me on good looking coins and now it is like looking at boring stuff".

She's right. Lesson learned: You never eat a five star dinner before taking a tour of the Sizzler.

peacockcoins

• Options
    MorganluverMorganluver Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
    Great analogy, Braddick! image
  • Options
    MorganluverMorganluver Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
    Bear

I have seen the Monster kennedy as well, and it is gorgeous, congrats!
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Hi Bear,

Sorry to have missed you, but I agree with your opinion on the Trade Dollars. That was a truly spectacular collection. Wow.

-JamminJ

• Options
    What fun to be a free Bear in Long Beach, with a paw full of dough and nose for nice coins! I envy you, Bear. I am glad you are enjoying your enjoyment. Wish I could see your haul.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    Braddick, My Morgan is not always that blue,

it must have been depressed that day.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Bear has awesome coins and I loved looking at the toned dollars. He didn't bring any balloons though.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bear has awesome coins and I loved looking at the toned dollars. He didn't bring any balloons though. Cameron Kiefer >>

Cameron, he did. You're just too tall to see them. . . image

peacockcoins

• Options
    Clank, I picked up a BTW that is toned exactly like your Icon on both sides.

How about them apples.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Those are good apples, Bear. Did you get it from Larry Shepherd?

Clank
  • Options
    Sure did, If anyone wants superb commems with or without toning then Larry Shepherd owner

of Simco Numismatics is the place. All he handles in commems and he is an expert as to quality

and eye appeal. Great guy, great coins. Might not be the cheapest place in town, but top quality

is always worth a reasonable premium. He is at the show, right next to Larry Whitlow Ltd.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    From what I hear, many dealers sold much of their inventory during the boom of January, so there's not a lot of "fresh" stuff for them to buy at the moment...That's the reasoning I hear for the lack of a lot of business, but have no fret, I think everyone's happy that there is stuff selling well finally...
  • Options
    I've gotten quite a few commems from Larry in my day, Bear. He has great coins. I am sure that your Booker is a killer. Very underrated when they look the way yours must. Congrats on the coin.

Clank
  • Options
    I found that by making the rounds many times of dealers who have done bussiness with me,

I could get to see their new purchases or super material that was not always in the case. In a number

of cases I put my dibs on a wonderful coin and the dealer will price the new coin after the show and ship

it to me. When the transaction is compleated I will let you know the coin and its just a doozy

of a classical type coin.

If you look at cases cold and are not known by the dealer, the odds are great that you will

see only the same old tired washed out stuff that keeps going around. It kind of makes sense,

you save the best of the new purchases for the clients that keep buying coins month after month.

There is really no reason to offer the few great pieces to strangers who you will never see again.

That is the reason I only spent my time with 6 dealers for the three days. I had to work the floor

with these dealers making the rounds every hour or so. I ran out of money before I ran out of

coins I would have liked to buy. But I have a broad selection of material I collect now. If you have

specialized in only one specific type of coin or series , it could have been difficult for you. I noticed that

Morgan Dollars in DMPL of MS65-66 were in scarce supply and ones with the magic ccmint mark

were just not available in high grade at any price. I believe that there are shows in Baltimore , N Calif

and 1-2 other places that most dealers feel they will be able to pick up freash quality material in

the next 45 to 60 days.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Thanks for the update bear, I don't mind telling you guys that have the time & money to go to major shows I am jealous beyond belief !!! But while i'm stuck here at home dealing with doctors and lawyers about my recent turn of events, i find myself still thinking about coins.
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    Sounds like a great time for all. Wish I could have been there. I would love to see TDN's set.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reports Bear! I really enjoy going to coin shows myself, so "show reports" are often my favorite threads here! Especially, when we get the extra "atmosphere" details like what was available food-wise! image If you ever make it to a coin show in Florida, I'll be sure to bring some berries and jelly donuts for you!
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report, Bear (and others).

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Great report bear! I'm hoping to go next year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file