Home U.S. Coin Forum

aswimmer toned Morgans on eBay, Real or AT??

Comments

• I am not an expert but that is a pretty coin if you ask me.

Albert
  • What I don't understand is if he is up to no good then why leave a trail. It seems to me that he may have nothing to hide and people are adding 2 + 2 and getting 5. How do you know for sure that a coin is not a product of nature? It seems to me after looking at his coins, and they are quite stunning, that people might be too quick to acuse of wrong doing just as much of the world is doing to America . FYI Its pick on America day tomorrow.

Albert
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Boards, Toadstool1. I don't claim to know what your background is, however, I will tell you that you are entirely wrong when you write

<< <i>Just becasue sa chemical has the word sulfide or sulfate does not mean it has sulfur in it. >>

since the definition of a sulfide is any compound where sulfur atoms are bound directly to a carbon, metal or nonoxygen atom while the definition for sulfate is a compound that contains the SO(4) group. Obviously, in both cases, sulfur is required. Perhaps you meant something other than you wrote. Also, I don't know what point you are trying to make with you sulfur cycle post.

Edited out the resume portion of the post because I found the email address for Toadstool1 (at this point Toadstool1 does not have the PM function enabled) and the resume portion may have been construed as puffing when in actuality it was meant as information.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Yikes! I'm going to stay out of this one....but my money's on TomB.image

GSAGUY
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Let's see, aswimmer is outed for his AT'ed junk last night. Then today, by a strange coincidence Toadstool1 just happens to sign up to this board, just happens to know something about chemistry and starts to defend the AT garbage that aswimmer is pawning off on eBay. Wouldn't be the first time a sleazebag seller showed up and pretended not to be the seller of the item in question.

Now, let's have a look at another particular aswimmer auction:

1887 AT'ed Morgan

Let's look at the large obverse image:

It should be painfully obvious to anyone with any experience whatsoever in naturally toned Morgans that this is a blatant, doctored, artificially toned coin. Unfortunately, aswimmer finds enough gullible newbies to fall for his deception. This is fraud in my opinion. How do you sleep at night Mr. Swimmer?
  • And by my count, 9 out of 10 of Toady's posts are to this thread. Hmmmm. Does make one wonder.

GSAGUY
    Doesn't make me wonder too much, that is why I addressed Mr. Swimmer directly.

By the way, I neglected to mention in my last post that the type of AT you see in the picture is created by placing substances on the surface of the coin then exposing it to high heat, such as the 500 degree celsius hot plate he bought.
  • CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,608 ✭✭
    GSA Guy you may be on to something here. Toadstool is from Orinda and this Aswimmer fellow is from Lafayette. Those towns are right next to each other. At some point I am sure you can stand with one foot in Orinda and the other foot in Lafayette.

CG
  • Just noticed that aswimmer has a blurb about why you should buy 'Alan's' coins. And the good doctor is Albert. Hmmm.

GSAGUY
  • CalGold,

Credit where credit is due....K6AZ is the master sleuth....I'm just following his tracks.image

Having said that, good work CG. Perhaps if they're not one in the same, Dr. L is Alan's technical rep?

GSAGUY
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Ah, the intrigue of the coin hobby.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Simply amazing, you guys really know how to find something to use to jump to conclusions. Now you think I am this guy when I have never met him nor do I know of him. I was not defending his actions only questioning your lack of looking at the big picture rather than thinking that you have all the answers. I don't know about toned coins but I do know when I see a vigilante group who hang first and ask questions later. It is not the way we do things in this country. It seems to me that while this guy is doing something that people seem to like you fellows are content to puff up each others egos by telling each other how smart and superior you all are. It must be nice to know everything and find faults in others so easily. Nect you guys will be wearing Brownshirts and issueing street justice! Get a grip guys.

Albert, yes Albert not Alan!
  • Now if I was this guy would I list such an obvious clue. Think, yes you got it its true I live in Orinda and had no idea where this idiot lived. Now I am starting to act like you all.

Its contageous

A.L.
  • He has got my vote as well. I am just a professor of Chemistry at a little university called Berkeley.

• image Toadstool, go sit in the corner and suck on your thumb! No one in any of these posts said anything about doing anything to you or the seller of these obviously messed with coins. Anyone who has looked at thousands of coins at hundreds of coin shows and by buying lots of coins doesnt need science to tell when a coin has been artifically toned. Its called experience. You are the one with the brown shirt! Its brown for a different reason. Youve been in the cellar under some manure. Thats where toadstools grow.
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.

How can you not say this is pretty?
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW sulfate is lousy choice of a form of sulfur for toning silver coins. It is very unreactive under ordinary conditions and is not readily converted to reactive sulfide forms by ordinary chemical means. Ammonium persulfate is more reactive but as more of a metal cleaner than a toner. There is nothing in that list that would be useful for toning coins. Thiourea which is a somewhat reactive form of sulfide is the basis of some dipping solutions for cleaning coins not for toning them. Obviously there is more to the toning of coins than a simple reaction between silver and sulfur.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am just a professor of Chemistry at a little university called Berkeley. >>

And that means what? Yep, it's the weekend.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
    Toadstool1,

Step outside the debate for a moment, pretend you are somebody else and ponder this: Doesn't it seem strangely coincidental that a "chemistry expert" would suddenly and out of the blue, on the very day this seller is being discussed, register at this forum to attempt a debunk of the assertions from the toning experts resident here?

I mean, come on. I believe in serendipity as much as the next guy, (actually, I think it's crap, but that sounded good), but this has a funny aroma to it. I'm not postulating as to your identity one way or the other, only noting that there is very strong cause for the skepticism you've encountered here.

Russ, NCNE
  • gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Sorry Toady, but the fellow is selling artificially toned coins and would have his buyers believe they're from "grandpa's" collection. Well, they may be from grandpa's collection, but someone added color in an attempt to doop inexperienced collectors into paying far more money than what the coins are worth.

What would you call that?

On top of that, through written correspondence with forum members, he claims that these colors are natural or original. He knows better.

GSAGUY

BTW, what brought you to the forum?
  • I only found this thread because someone asked for a chemist to comment on a question and since I am a coin collector I thought I could help. I dont collect Morgans only Buffalos and Barber Dimes.
  • nothing I am just shoveling
    So Toady, how long have you been a professor there?

GSAGUY

<< <i>I mean, come on. I believe in serendipity as much as the next guy, (actually, I think it's crap, but that sounded good >>

I understand crap easierimage Boy Russ, did you dig up the big words for the hot shot DR? shouldn't have wasted them.
  • I looked at the Berkeley website. Don't see any chemistry profs that go by the name of "Albert" but I could be wrong.

See Berkeley Chemistry Faculty:

http://chem.berkeley.edu/people/people_faculty.html
    Jamesfsm,

I was doing the same thing....except he used the last name of something like Lundgren. Neither that nor any derivative thereof is listed in the Chemistry department.

GSAGUY
  • amazing, simply amazing. When can I get a magic decoder ring to match the brown shirts you two are wearing.
    Give it up. You are digging yourself an even deeper hole.
    I think this thread has earned another one of these:

Bwuahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Russ, NCNE
  • Do you think I would use my real name and expose my professional carrer to the kind of risk that information in your hands would pose? You must be kidding yourselves. this time you are stopped from your fact finding eh guys. How does it feel to not be able to get an upper hand on this person? Frustrated, lack of control, nervous, sweating, you are feeling depressed, your at a loss.

Albert
  • You are about the most politically-charged chemist I've ever heard of. Can I get a brown shirt in medium?
    Toady, we're waiting.

GSAGUY
  • The only hole being dug is your sinking feeling of not being all powerful and god like.

Albert
  • Hey I am jewish and teach at CAL, what do you want?
  • Iwog, is that you?

TRUTH

So, who are you today "SYBIL?"
    Me thinks Toady doath protest too much.

GSAGUY
  • I bet you one of you is now looking for jewish surnames in the CAL Chemistry dept.
  • Sticking to coins, what is your favorite, Toady?
  • I know I have not had dinner yet. I get like this. Normally I am just a listener.
    Calm down Toady, have dinner, and then get back to work on grandpa's collection.

GSAGUY
    If I had any doubt in my mind, it is long gone. Now that toady sees we are not going to be bamboozled, he is getting nasty. image
  • I am a Buffalo Nickel and Barber Dime collector and have very high end colections of both. My Barber dime set is mostly MS with a few AU 55 s in there Most slabbed ANACS

The Buffalos are all showing full un doctored horns and 2/3 slabbed. Favorite coin is the 1898-0 Barber dime I own in MS-65 NGC. Awesome strike. I also collect Large cents and have about 280 in all grades. Only 5% slabbed.

Al
  • toady going to get some dinner and will be back men.
    See, we are all friends now.image
  • Bryan,
    While he's having dinner maybe you could find me some nickels?image
    Tim

P S : This is really funny, but I know you are serious about squashing this doctor!
    My proof Jeffs
    BigT,

It really is a shame that this kind of stuff goes on. Imagine the shock of the unsuspecting collectors that later try to have those coins certified only to find out that they're practically worthless.

When you take a $15 coin, artifically tone it, and then promote it as original toning so that you can sell it for $50 or whatever, I believe you're stealing...plain and simple. And while I'm no lawyer, I believe theft is still a crime.

GSAGUY
    Actually gsaguy, there is a better word for it: FRAUD image
  • OK folks - I had to leave this intriguing thread when my teenage daughter walked into the house, leaned over my shoulder and said "How much longer will you be on, Dad?" I surrended immediately. But while laying in bed I just couldn't fall asleep without thowing 2 cents into the pot. I also have a background in chemistry as well as biology (Univ. of Pittsburgh, BS, School of Pharmacy, 1979..you could look it up) and the good doctor's tactics reminded me of the wizard in Oz.."don't look behing the curtain, the great and powerful has spoken". Unfortunately, some astute posters looked behind the screen and saw the prof for what he is - a phony. His awkward attempts at quoting some text about biological pathways and earth sciences does little to explain the chemical reactions that could occur between these reagents under extraordinarily high temeratures. It would kinda be like me saying that gold is a substance used orally or via deep IM injection as a last resort to treat resistant cases of degenerative arthritis (not a metal that has been mined and intrinsically valued for millenia for it's scarcity and beauty). And if I'm correct, silver coins are only 90% silver, with other elements added to augment smelting and durability. What reaction would high levels of sulfur dioxide under intense heat have on those metals? Hey! - Let's ask aswimmer!
    Don't you know that it's worth
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • For the record I am against the doctoring or manipulating of coins for the sole purpose of profit. I am on the same page as you guys , my point was that I did not feel your conclusions were based on sound evidence. That is all. The brown shirt stuff was out of line.

Albertimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file