Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is describing a coin as “original” sometimes a nice way of saying that it’s unattractive?

I’ve seen many coins described as “original,” which I take to mean uncleaned or undipped. Some of these coins, though, leave much to be desired in terms of eye appeal in my opinion. I’ve noticed that very nicely toned coins are often described as “monster toned” or “gorgeous colors” or something like that. The term “original” seems to be reserved (in some cases) for coins that can’t be given more positive descriptions.

Do you think that this is a correct assessment? How do you interpret “original?”

Dan

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to me- I have many coins I would call original that I love- a light-gray AU Barber dime, or EF SLQ... they are 100% original, and simply gorgeous coins...

I guess original could mean ugly, but many great coins are original.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The short answer to your thread topic/question is, "Yes".

The more detailed answer is, "Yes, and very frequently."
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I believe it is commonly used for code as "Butt Ugly". Especially on eBay. It's too bad because there is nothing more lovely than a coin with untouched original surfaces.
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭
    Yes, sometimes...like a blind date have a good personality...
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The term “original” seems to be reserved (in some cases) for coins that can’t be given more positive descriptions. >>

<< <i>Do you think that this is a correct assessment? >>

No, sorry I don't.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Original with no other descripitive adjectives means non-lovely.
    When we talk about non-lovely coins and can't think of anything nice to say we say "At least it's original."
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is what is considered Original. Nothing Dull or Ugly with this 76 CC Dime IMO.

Ken
  • Options
    Sometimes when I describe a coin I might just say original and it could be a rainbow toned coin or an original toned coin that's not so pretty.

To some people an original toned coin that doesn't have all the colors might be ugly. This happens more with new collectors. But usually the more experienced collectors appreciate an original surface coin, with the original skin, crust, patina, whatever you want to call it.

Rather than a blast white, dipped out, surfaces stripped, etc. etc.image

Like I've mentioned before.... The more people think the "original" surface coins are ugly, the more for me to choose from. But this usually doesn't hold true because people buy them anyway and think they can be "FIXED" and ruin them.
  • Options
    I'm with Stman, please, most of you should reason original=ugly. Then I can spend less and have nicer coins. For example, I picked up an "original" toned 1922-D Peace $ NGC MS65 for the paltry sum of $275 which I believe is about $75 under bid. Why, because the seller described the coin as "Original." And his scan turned the coin a yellowish color.

Well, as you might have guested, the coin arrived and it has nice coloring, not monster, but great luster and is truly a 65.

I tend to look for original coins. There's just something about a coin that hasn't been dipped, cleaned or altered that I prefer. Eventually, I think the market will tend to go this way as well. Those blast white coins may seem nice to the eye, but you have to ask, how'd it stay that way for 100 years? And eventually, your blast white coin will look like my "original" coin anyway.

Finally, coins are history and I like my coins to come with their own.

Michael
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With copper, original is preferred, whether red, RB or brown. Nothing uglier than a unoriginal IHC!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Truly original specimens are an eye sore. Please offer me all your truly original specimens at reduced prices to account for the negative eye appeal.

I am being serious.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Frattlaw, I agree with you saying that a lot of people take a scan too serious and if it doesn't glow with color they pass. When one is used to looking at toned coins and scans, they can look through the scan so to speak, and imagine with experience what it will really look like.

But I might not agree when you said the blast white ones will look like the original toned ones in time.
    Once the surfaces have been played with they won't end up looking original. They will have the tell tale look of dip and retone. Ugly brownish gold tint to them. And although they might acquire a skin, it won't be an original skin.image
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    cacheman!!!!!!!!! ilove it

the faboulous furry freak brothers!@1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for me an original coin is the best of the best and rarest of the rare and totally sleeper and undervalued and rarely seen not touched by human hands and helped along the way! and there cant be a demand for them as they are not usually seen and most have not seen such animals! but when seen oh what a trophy!!!!!!

but with the following caviet as below!@!!!!!!!!

thick original skin and booming lustre or at least reasonable lustre coming through the toning if mintstate coinage and either original white and/or exceptionally toned and has to have great eye appeal with "no problems"!!! proof or mintstate or circ's

sincerely michael
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

With gold coins, original is generally preferred. I would much rather have this original green-gold coin than the same looking like a yellow beacon!
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    the 76 cc dime is superb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well superlative!

sincerely michael
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Often the term origonal is badly misused to describe a dull, tarnished or gunked up coin.

Just like champaign colored coin is any thing but a dark and miserable looking coin. Not all

the time mind you, but both terms are misused enough to put you on alert. Often the written

description gives you a mental image that is not warrented when you actually see the coin.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Unfortunately "original" ranks right up there with "collectors coin" as two of the most meaningless descriptors. Caveat emptor whenever you read those terms.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    thick original skin and booming lustre or at least reasonable lustre coming through the toning if mintstate coinage and either original white and/or exceptionally toned and has to have great eye appeal with "no problems"!!! proof or mintstate or circ's

Michael,

You are a smart and savvy collector. Your final paragraph is exactly right, and is also the reason many coins are dipped. Sometimes original is beautiful, and sometimes it isn't. The isn'ts usually get dipped. The unfortunate part is that what an inexperienced collector thinks is attractive is frequently the benchmark.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    To me, original means "toned a dark color that will not dip off".
  • Options
    Send me all your Original White Coins dripping with luster, they do exist! Remember the IHC Showdown? They cant tell me half those coins werent dipped!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In circulated grades, originality usually means a dirty, uncleaned piece. However, in reality usually it has been cleaned, but looks lik sh*t so it is called "original" for lack of a term that says "crappy, ugly, cleaned and now retoning, but still ugly as hell" all in one word.

For unc. It is the same. Truly fantastic original pieces are not sold at auction, because all your friends who know that you own the piece and would kill you if you didn't give them first crack at buying it directly from you before you placed it at action. Easy science! image

Tyler
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as i'm concerned the descriptor "original" is and should be mostly synonymous with "attractive" or "pleasing."i recognize that this is not always the case.Anyway,if the term "original" is used any
    "problems" seen should definitely accompany "original" because of the "positive" implied by use of the word "original"...my opinion...i mean,to describe a coin as "original" with no mention of the fact that it also looks like it was scrubbed on a sidewalk is improper use of the term and a seller who uses this term in such an obviously indiscriminate way loses me with whatever credibility he might otherwise have..."original" is a term that should not be used indiscriminately when describing coins that are for sale,in my opinion...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭✭
    Original is just great until it is so dark or so splotchy that it covers up the true luster of the coin. As far as I am concered the term "original" is just as the coin was minted. Any addition, including toning, makes the coin less than "original" This is not to say that some toning is not attractive, it is not original.
  • Options

<< <i>Any addition, including toning, makes the coin less than "original" This is not to say that some toning is not attractive, it is not original. >>

I don't really subscribe to this. I think of the term "original" as indicating the surfaces have not been altered by human intervention since the coin was minted.

A couple days before this thread was born I started this auction and used "Original" in the title. I link to it here not to spam my auction, but to use the coin as an example. I used the term as a positive. To me, as a collector of classic commems, I think of the term as a positive description. Yes, it can be applied to horribly ugly coins, but any term, monster, rainbow, etc. etc. can too.

So is this coin ugly? I certainly don't think so. But I know for a fact it wouldn't appeal to a lot of people:

"Original"

To speak to the original question of the thread though, when I chose the word "original" to describe this commemorative I wasn't thinking in terms of trying to disguise an ugly coin under some kind of meaningless buzz word. Original has positive connotations to me.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file