Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

More high dollar NGC MS68 Washington action.

2»

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "What percentage of MS68s crosses? 1%? ½%? ¼%? "

Greg: I bet the % is closer to 5%. Again, this says nothing as to the question of whether NGC or PCGS is properly grading the coin. This only addresses the concept that PCGS and NGC utilize a differing standard for many series. Agreed?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,225 ✭✭
    Greg: I bet the % is closer to 5%. Again, this says nothing as to the question of whether NGC or PCGS is properly grading the coin. This only addresses the concept that PCGS and NGC utilize a differing standard for many series. Agreed?

5%? Really? Considering only ~22% of ALL coins crossed in the recent past. I'd guess that the higher the grade, the lower the probability it crosses. I also wonder if the crossover percentages reflect "cross at any grade" coins.

And I'll agree that they use different standards for some series.
    Greg: And, let's not forget the issue of WHEN the NGC coin was slabbed. I reckon a much, much larger % of recently graded NGC coins would cross into PCGS holders. Consider this....

I bought one of the 1936 PCGS-PR66 Wash Quarters at the FUN auctions, because I thought it had a small shot to upgrade to PCGS-PR67 (I still do). I didn't go crazy on the coin - I paid $2700 plus the juice. The coin was submitted raw first to NGC at the FUN Show where it graded NGC-PR64!!!!!!!! Repeat: NGC-PR64!!!!!! The coin was resubmitted raw to PCGS where it regraded PCGS-PR66. Now, this coin I will keep in the PCGS-PR66 holder while trying to upgrade it from here image Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭✭
    Mitch, Congrats on the upgrade with the 39S wash. I recall not to long ago a board member crossed a 1950D NGC MS68
    Roosie. I believe the coin was then sold for many times its original purchase price. I also know of a 1950S ICG MS68 roosie
    that now resides in a PCGS MS68 holder.

Nick
    Nick: Thanks. As you may know, I bought those (2) PCGS-MS68 Roosies you mentioned. I really liked the 1950(d) especially image

Wondercoin
  • For me, I'd much prefer a pretty MS66 or MS67 coin over an ugly coin like this one! Is it really worth that kind of money to be able to say you own an MS68 coin? And how could anyone feel good about owning a coin that's as nasty looking as this one?? It goes back to the old addage: buy the coin, not the holder. I will say for the sake of being fair, I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me in this case, not in the holder!

Tom Schiera
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few questions for somebody with some extra time on his hands:

If you had an all pop-top set of Washington quarters, what would it be worth in today's market?

If you had an all pop-top set of Bust quarters (1796-1838), what would it be worth in today's market?

If you had an all pop-top set of all pattern quarters (in silver), what would it be worth in today's market?

The question for the rest of you: Which would you rather own?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An all top pop set of trade dollars! image
  • I would rather own the bust quarters.

Cameron Kiefer
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the few times I'm in complete agreement with the Good Guy, I'd rather own the Bust 25c set -- even over the Trades. Aside from the few remaining varieties that I need, the series now bores me somewhat. I only care to upgrade ONE coin, and then I may only buy a Trade just because it's an obscure variety that I can impress Keoj with!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Thanks Evillageprowler. I'll pass you some kool-aid now.

Cameron Kiefer
    Chug-a-lug!

EVP

• He admits he drinks the kool-aid. welcome to the club.image

Cameron Kiefer
    I drink some flavors of Kool-Aid, but not all flavors.

• PCGS flavors only please.image

Cameron Kiefer