Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Any word on NFL HOF Rookie Set???

13»

Comments

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    That's cool. Hard enough to find those cards in NM shape Large OR Small. At least this gives us a little bigger base to work with.

I'm guessing that the USFL , the Stautner/Creekmur , and the Thorpe/Grange questions will take some brainstorming on their part to decide. If this thread is any indication, there will be people on both sides of the fence.

Hey Robert, let us know if you plan on taking a internet-less vacation any time soon. I'll save up some cash for then so I can actually win some bids.

J/K
    LOL

JasP24

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    LOL.....actually I will be out of the country for 2 weeks starting next week. I guess you got your wish....LOL
    If your not in the Hall of Fame, You are not a Hall of Famer.
    Always looking for PSA 8+ Rookies of NFL Hall of Famers
  • Options
    My luck= there will be nothing on that I need...

LOL
    JasP24
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Just to keep everyone up to date, I talked to BJ today and the registry will be set up to take the 1952 Bowman large and/or small cards.

- NFLHOFCollector

Doesn't this go against the highest value rookie premise? It sounds like the capability exists to allow the register to select the rookie card for any given year.

It should be the highest value or let the collector choose for all respective years.
  • Options
    Actually ,I believe this is only possible due to the fact that these cards are from the same basic set(Bowman) with the exact same card number for each player. Meaning Large and Small will both be recognized as the "1952 Bowman"...Also, these ARE the most valuable rookies from that year.

JasP24
  • Options
    The '52 Bowman Large are priced considerably higher according to the current SMR, some by $1,000+ in PSA 8+. The difference on the major cards appears to have an increase of 60% to 80% in value.

Here is the result for the EBAY '48 Leaf CHUCK BEDNARIK PSA 7 RC that ended tonight, sold well over SMR ...

1948 Leaf Football #54 CHUCK BEDNARIK PSA 7 NM RC

Anyone know the winner?
  • Options
    The only reason why we decided to go with the highest priced rc is because PSA says we can only select 1 card of a player when he has more then one DIFFERENT Issue. The 52 Bowman are considered variations, so it is possible. The large will be weighted differently to reflect the value difference, but for those who have large or small variations, this is a good thing.

Another example is if the issue has an error and corrected error card. Usually ther error is worth more, does that mean we only let people collect the error card? I dont think so, but we give them the choice to.

Robert....
  • Options
    The large will be weighted differently to reflect the value difference, but for those who have large or small variations, this is a good thing.

Correct thing to do.

The only reason why we decided to go with the highest priced RC is because PSA says we can only select 1 card of a player when he has more then one DIFFERENT Issue. The 52 Bowman are considered variations, so it is possible.

The small set is not a variation, it had it's own issue. The PSA registry currently lists them as separate sets. Otherwise, the entire set would be listed as one big variation selection. Variations usually exist within the same issue such as an error, letter color variation or pose.

I understand that PSA can not allow for the either or on a player's RC. However, I still would like to see all the '48 Bowman and '48 Leaf RCs listed. I plan to collect both either way.

Good luck to all! I am looking forward to seeing everyone's listings. image
  • Options
    actually the 52 bowman would be considered a parallel set as it was issued in the same packs as the large, I have opened a few so i know it as a fact.

i would not mind if both 48 set were included, but some people cant really afford to collect both, and that means they would never have a chance of having a 100% complete set.

Robert....
  • Options
    The 1952 FB Sets are two different issues, from article published in SMR not that long ago:

Bowman decided to make two football issues, each consisting of 144 different subjects. The first was the standard 2 1/16 by 3 1/8 inches and the second was 2 ½ by 3 ¾ inches. Both issues were distributed in two 72-card series with the second series being slightly more difficult to find based on later chronological distribution.

It has been theorized that once the first series of Large sold well, Bowman cut production of the second series of the Small and focused primarily on the second series of the Large.

KKBB
  • Options
    Sixdart raises an excellent point here. No matter what the Registry says, we are all free to collect whatever our hearts desire. If you want both Bowman Large and Small, or both Jim Kelly RC's (1984 USFL and 1987 Topps), then so be it. The point of the Registry is to have a set which is condusive to everyone's collection, BUT with standards. If you want to collect ANY card of an NFL HOFer, that list already exists. The Hall of Famer list that is currently there. I think the point of the upcoming NFL HOF RC list is to make it CARD specific, weighted list of ONLY HOF Player RC's. Much like the All-Time lists, and the Baseball HOF RC list.

I think that since we are going to have the option to list either the 52 Bowman Large or Small, with different weighting based on SMR, it won't be necessary to list BOTH. They are the exact same card minus the size, and I for one would never spend the extra money to have a Large AND a Small. Especially when I will be able to list either on the Registry.

As far as the issue of the 1948 cards go, I wouldn't have a problem with PSA listing both Leaf and Bowman. But again, where do we draw the line with listing multiple different cards of players that aren't even their best/most valuable RC?

This thread is getting out of control..LOL..I think that's good for us "foozeball collectors"..
    JasP24
  • Options
    ... good for us "foozeball collectors".. ...

Momma says collecting foozeball is no good. image

You guys scared my wife with the $80,000 SMR estimate on this set! image
  • Options
    Ya, and thats only SMR value. Try actually purchasing the cards for that lowball figure. LOL

I just added some more outstanding RAW HOF RC's to my Ebay Auctions. Check them out.
  • Options
    Joe,

In reference to the 10,000 yard rushing set, I believe I submitted the '95 Select Certified GOLD as the key Curtis Martin RC. The Select Certified GOLD is a parallel version. I chose that one because of the history and popularity of the Terrell Davis' Select Certified Gold RC - it was always considered his high-end premium issue.

The UD SP is a tough foil though, and it is a base product card.
  • Options
    Well, I hope that the Registry doesn't start using parallel issues for All-Time type sets. If they do, it will open the flood gates. Might as well use his most expensive 1 of 1 inserts. I hope they stick with good ole base cards myself.

JasP24
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    No! I really really hope they don't go with the Select Certified Gold. Parallels can NOT be Rookie Cards and this would set a dangerous precedent. I really think they should keep it as his most valuable rookie card.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    This is an issue that needs to expand to all sports.

Prior to 1994, the parallel rookie was nonexistent. It would be nice to know the position PSA will take regarding parallel RCs within the registry set. I wouldn't want to purchase the wrong cards in anticipation of a set's listing.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen them use a parallel in a "key card" type set. For example, the All-Time Lakers Team uses Kobe's base Chrome RC, not the Refractor.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Joe,

Thanks, that answers my question.

Marcus
  • Options
    Bumped for BJ.
  • Options
    Hey Jason, I did not get to see the list they put up, but it sounds like they used my origional submission. I will email BJ again with the newer list.

Robert...
  • Options
    Yes, you are correct Robert. They used the one with Steve Owen on it by mistake. I think BJ wants to just have one consolidated, correct list which I think Joe(AllanAllan) e-mailed to her before. Its the same list which was weighted on our big thread.

JasP24
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    LOL..........Boy this thread brings back some memories. This is the creation of the HOF RC set.

A couple of good quotes from this thread........

By Me

<< <i>I am currently only at 5% on the HOF registry, but I am also working on many other sports. (Take a look at my website if you havnt already) Not to mention my limited budget. (I usually go for lesser grades)

>>

5%----I've come a long way

By Jason

<< <i> I don't think many of us will EVER own a 35 Nagurski >>

I know i never dreamed I would own one.

From Joe (AlanAllen) wonder what ever happened to him?

<< <i>What do you do when someone like Ricky Williams makes it in with 50 recognized RCs? >>

Im sure Ricky looked like a future HOFer at this point?

Wonder what happened to some of the guys that helped build this set (sixdart, alanallen, NFLHOFRCCollector)

Hard to believe it's been 8 years since being listed.
    Here is a screen save from within the first month of going live I was 7th at the time. It took me 8 years and a ton of $ to fall down to where I currently reside (10th) LOL..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Same here Dave. I was in 11th at 7% and 8 yrs later I am 17th at 92%. Funny how things have changed.
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see the progression with the Wayback Machine. You can see Museum of Sports History start marching up the list. It's too bad the timeline only goes back to 2004-2005. I was at 33% back then, but I believe I was somewhere near 75-80% (or maybe more), before I liquidated all my non-Bears HOFers back in 2006 or so.