Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Any word on NFL HOF Rookie Set???

Comments

• Options
    why because its hard to find them? hahaha no one said it would be easy...... We might have to find raws and get them graded ourselves.
    If your not in the Hall of Fame, You are not a Hall of Famer.
    Always looking for PSA 8+ Rookies of NFL Hall of Famers
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    No because they are COLLEGE ISSUE cards, not NFL!! I strted serching for these cards to see if I could find any on the net, and I found that article.

JasP24
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    well so are the 55 all americans.....
  • Options
    Very true. So are we using college cards or not? If so, that opens the door for Classic, press pass, etc. in the future.

JasP24
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    for these few players that played in the days were there was a grey line between college and pro sports i think it would be ok. Nowa days were there is greater seperation between the 2 levels no.

unless some more really old timers get elected this question should not come up in the future.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    man this is hard. i looked at the pop report for the felt backs and there have only been 30 graded from the entire set. Very difficult to find.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Personally, I think the popularity and familiarity of the 55 All-Americans warrants their inclusion into the set. They are as mainstream as they get. The Felt Backs on the other hand are about as far from mainstream as you can get. Just look at the POP numbers. They arent popular, nor "mainstream" AND they are college cards. Why WOULD we use them? I think it would set a bad precedent for future card additions. And we REALLY need to take what cards WILL be added into consideration when setting guidelines for this set.

The 1951 Bowmans are more popular, more mainstream and ARE the FIRST NFL issue of these players. Which of the 55 All-American college cards have a TRUE NFL card available in the 1956 set. Answer= NONE. That warrants their inclusion.

JasP24
  • Options
    thats the fun of collecting. I have a few of the set, not creekmur or statnur, and i like them.
  • Options
    And i see absolutely nothing wrong with collecting them if that is your preferenece. But including them in the NFL HOF RC Registry entails that everyone must recognize these cards and collect them if they want to ever reach 100%.

JasP24
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Creekmur and Statnur's recognized RCs are in the Feltback set. So says Beckett, so says SCD, and so says PSA (or at least it is implied by the fact that the '51 Bowmans are not denoted as RCs). Yes they were college cards, but as mentioned the line was blurry back then. If it comes to a vote I definitely vote Feltback. The only other RC of note in that set is Paterno, and I doubt he'd make the NFL HOF.

I don't really have a preference for Kelly. I can see both sides: The USFL is clearly earlier and more valuable and more desirable. The Topps is more mainstream, a true NFL card, and is recognized by Beckett at his only RC. PSA calls them both RCs. I'd abstain if it came to a vote.

Off to bed... for some reason I think Creekmur and Statnur will show up in one of my dreams...

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Honestly, I think if the PSA experts read through this thread, they will have enough info to make an informed decision. I say we let them decide between the debatable cards.

99% of Joes weighted list should be THE list. And the couple of questionable calls can go to the review of the Set Registry experts.

JasP24
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I agree

I guess the only questions were facing is the Feltbacks vs Bowman and USFL vs Topps. That is only 3 cards of 165 that were debating over.

My vote
    51 Bowman
    USFL

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    My vote is also for 1951 Bowman and USFL.
  • Options
    its not a question of just 3 cards. future hofers cards who have usfl issues will also be decided here. Young, White and a few others. Does this mean cfl rookies of moon and flutie and jeff garcia, if and when, should go. CFL cards are not regional as stated before. They are sold nation wide in canada and most of the north eastern united states, its just not nation wide in our nation. And the CFL, unlike the usfl, is still a on going league.

I vote
    1950 Felt Backs
    Definetly no USFL
  • Options
    I couldn't sleep and I thought about it some more.

I vote Feltbacks and NFL RC (1987 Topps for Kelly).

How about we let Joe Orlando and/or BJ decide? Ultimately it's up to them anyway.

Joe
  • Options
    ill agree to that.
  • Options
    IMHO, the difference between USFL and CFL cards is the issue of "mainstream". Regional= not nationwide, US nation that is. USFL cards were in every 7-11 from Florida to Cali. Just look at the POP reports. CFL cards are akin to Team issued cards, issued only in one specific area(northeast ONLY. The USFL cards were made by Topps and were sold right next to the 1984 NFL Topps that year.

I will accept whatever PSA deems "The Set", and I'm very interested to hear PSA's decision on this. Like Robert says, these decisions WILL effect all future additions, and I think that is paramount.

JasP24
  • Options
    Any way we can incorporate this into the forum polls??Anyone have access to that?LOL

JasP24
  • Options
    Actually the USFL sets were only issued in complete box set form, and only sold to dealers, not retailers.

Joe
  • Options
    I'd have to disagree with you on that Joe. I have USFL raw cards that I purchased in packs as a kid living in Jacksonville, Florida. Not sure about the years, I would have to check, but definitely bought USFL in pack form. Could have possibly been J'Ville Bulls Team Sets though. Either way, the USFL are so much more valuable and worthy of collecting, my vote still goes USFL.

JasP24
  • Options
    correct
  • Options
    Hi
    My vote would be to include USFL cards. I don't think CFL should be included. An example of the CFL issue is Warren Moon. I feel his '85 Topps is his RC. More mainstream and collected more. Got to look at collectibility. Who want's what. I'd rather have a '84 Kelly USFL than the '87 Topps Kelly. I'd rather have the '85 Topps Moon rather than the CFL issue. I know Moon isn't in the Hall but he might in a few years.

Jeff
    Always looking for high-grade Terry Bradshaw and Steelers cards.
  • Options
    So did anyone pass this thread onto BJ? If so, did he give any insight?

JasP24
  • Options
    I forwarded the thread to Joe and BJ and asked them to comment. I haven't heard back from either of them yet.

Joe
  • Options
    My two cents. I'd like to see a little diversity. Why can't we have one of the felts? Why can't we have one or two of the USFL cards? There's options with the 1970 and 71 Kellogg's too.
    I don't think we need to have every player represented by the largest mainstream set. I don't think it necessarily has to be the most expensive card.
    I'd like the complete run to be a variety of issues.
    Am I totally alone here?
    Strong buyer of 1970 Kelloggs Football & 1971 Kelloggs Baseball and Football. Please help me find cards!
    I have a few hundred extra PSA graded 1971 Kellogg's cards. E-mail for price list. Looking for 1970 Topps Supers in PSA 9 too.
  • Options
    Galveston, as Robert stated before, PSA's database does not allow more mulitple card additions for a card specific, weighted set. This set will be very similar to the baseball Hall of Fame Rookie card set or one of the NFL All-Time sets. If you're looking for a "multiple card possiblilty" Hall of Fame set, its already there. This set is for the specific RC's.

JasP24
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    I would like to see all the rookie cards included this set. This is in reference to the 1948 Bowman, 1948 Leaf, 1961 Topps and 1961 Fleer sets. All rookie cards in these sets are deserving and would reflect in a true master Rookie HOF Player Set.

I would also like the USFL, and the NFL, rookie cards of NFL HOF'ers like J Kelly and S Young listed.
  • Options
    Sixdart,
    So you'd want two listings for players with two recognized RCs? What do you do when someone like Ricky Williams makes it in with 50 recognized RCs? Not flaming, just wondering,

Joe
  • Options
    I apologize, I thought we were discussing the current NFL HOF members and their rookie cards?

If a future member is enshrined, with multiple modern rookie cards, the should be a consensus on the card - especially with all the parallel issues. After the 1989 Score football release with Barry Sanders (Troy Aikman and other potential HOF'ers), the 1990 Score Supplemental Emmitt Smith and 1991 Topps Stadium Club Brett Favre, it most likely will be the premium issue of that year - such as the 1994 UD SP Marshall Faulk.

The 1948 Bowman and Leaf football issues are unique because of their limited populations in PSA 7, 8 or 9. As I have said before, most of these cards have single digit population numbers, especially the HOF rookie cards - they are very scarce.

I think that we are talking about a total of 10 players with the rookie cards in question. It would definitely be a challenge to collect all the NFL HOF rookie cards regardless. However, how can you tell someone that their 1948 Bowman football Sammy Baugh PSA 8 not good enough for the registry set?

I am just advocating for the listing of both at this time.
  • Options
    Gotcha. It would be cool if we could do it as an either/or, but BJ has said that's impossible with their current technology (it's somewhere earlier in this thread). I thought you were advocating setting it up so you had to have both the Leaf and the Bowman to complete the set.

It would indeed be an accomplishment to complete this set just because of its sheer scope and the scarcity of some of the issues. FYI, SMR for the set in 8 is just over $80,000.

Joe

• Options
    If we did place all the RC's, with the exception of 1990 and newer, that would be nice, except to the pocket book.

Its funny you use the PSA 8 Bowman Baugh as an example. I worked hard getting one, and now it appears I wont be able to use it.

LOL

Check out my NFL HOF RAW RC's on Ebay. More being added all the time. My username is wirelesslanmam.
  • Options
    The TOP 200 SPORTCARDS appears to have the either or option ...

TOP 200 SPORTCARDS PSA SET REGISTRY COMPOSITION

notic the Ty Cobb options. This is why I thought this would be possible.
  • Options
    Ya, we thought so also, but that only works with variations of the "same" card not 2 different cards. We had already hit on that in this discussion.
  • Options
    I think having two different cards listed in the Registry for one player COULD work, but I think it creates more problems than anything. At what point do we start limiting which players we have mulitple cards for? Once current players start making the Hall, without a solid standard to go by, will we have to wait until the card is actually LISTED in the Set Registry before we buy them? Or risk buying a card that we won't be able to use? I don't know about you, but I'm far from being rich. For example, it would be great to have EVERY Emmitt Smith RC, but I would rather just spend money to have his best one.

As I stated before, my focus is to collect the most VALUABLE RC of each HOFer and also future HOFers. Without ever having a PSA Set Registry list to work from, I used the SMR (or Beckett for newer issues) prices to determine the most valuable card. I think that is the best route, and if you look at the weighted list posted earlier in this thread, it is very near perfect.

Hopefully, PSA will get the set up and running soon. I had my buddy sign up last week, "Glenn's HOF collection" (gswass on ebay), and he's got more than he currently has listed. He must have left a few out. He will be #1 in the RC depatment once he gets completely updated.

JasP24
  • Options
    HMMMMMMM, I take that bet, I have not even listed most of my 72 and newer HOF RC's yet, because they are being graded as we speek, Also my thorpe, grange, dutch clark, ken strong, cliff battles, turk edwards, clarke hinkle, dante lavelli, joe staydahar, lance alworth, nick buonicoti, willie brown, joe namoth and dick butkis rc's that i submitted a week ago.

I also have 60 other HOF RC's I cant afford to send in yet. In all I am only missing 7 HOF rookies to have a complete collection, and a few wont be in this rc set since they are coaches/admin.

This is going to be fun I can see.
  • Options
    NFLHOF, I meant short term, like this week..Long term is a different story, and with the amount of cash you spend on ebay, I'm sure we will be chasing your collection for years to come. I'm just an active duty military guy, I can't drop $1,000 a wekk, or even $1,000 every 3 months. My collection has been building for almost 4 years now, and it will be a long, fun process for me.

I have some cards getting graded right now too, but not even in the hemisphere of those cards.

Look forward to at least being able to see them, I hope you add pictures for us pions. LOL

JasP24
  • Options
    LOL, I did not mean to sound like I was bragging. I have been collecting NFL HOF RC's for 10 years, But just recently started buying PSA Graded card. My complete collection was of raw cards, many multiples of all. I am currently selling of my raws on ebay. I to was in the milttary for 6 years, Navy. I know what you mean about the pay.

Anyway I look forward to competeing with you all on the registry.

Your friend, as well as you, have some good cards in your collections.

Robert.....

• Options
    You'll all wipe the floor with me, that's for sure. But I'll put my Marcus Allen collection up against anyone's image

Joe

p.s. Anyone know who "hardcorebroncofan" is on eBay? Seems like he's always bidding on stuff I want.
  • Options
    Not sure if hardcorebronco fan is on the registry, but he should be...We have bought and sold from each other lately, and he's definitely a major player on ebay. Along with azvike, wirelesslanman(Robert), dapcards, mike418golf and wossamottau it's becoming near impossible to get anything..Then again, without those guys, I would be in debt...They save me from myself many times...

Personally, i think the ebay comp. is fun. Even before I discovered the Registry, the auction action was heavy. Now it's getting out of control, in a good way, and i hope more PSA collectors Register their sets. I'd like to see how my collection REALLY stacks up.

JasP24
  • Options
    Robert,

Do you plan to keeping the 1948 Bowman Football SAMMY BAUGH PSA 8? I am sixdart on EBAY as well. You had purchased the '63 Topps LARRY WILSON and '65 Philadelphia PAUL WARFIELD in PSA 8 from me about a month ago.

It is nice to see such passion regarding the PSA registry set, football in particular. I haven't seen a football thread receive this level of support. I hope PSA reads these posts.

Thanks,

Marcus
  • Options
    hi six,

Ya i plan on keeping it. I love the photo style card of bowman over the cartoonish leaf. And thanks for the cards by the way. Great additions to my collection.

Robert.....
  • Options
    Looks like the PSA Registry folks are back in action. I wonder how close they are to getting the NFL HOF RC Set up and running. I'm sure it's got to be one of the harder sets to get uploaded, but if they have checked out the lists posted in this thread, it should make the job a little easier.

JasP24
  • Options
    According to BJ, she thought it would be around 2 weeks. Joe was adding the recent inductees to the set and finalizing the set.

I have also submitted a set request for the 10,000 Yard NFL Rushers. This set is slightly different from the All-Time NFL Rushers set - a good mix of semi-vintage and modern rookie cards.
  • Options
    Hi guys. BJ did get back to me yesterday. Here is the text of our conversation (start from the bottom):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 7:13 AM
    To: Joe Tocco
    Subject: RE: NFL HOF RC Debate

OK, when the spreadsheet comes back, I'll get with Joe Orlando to discuss
    it. Thanks.

Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 6:54 AM
    To: Searls, BJ

BJ,
    Thanks so much for getting back to me. We've agreed on several changes to
    the spreadsheet you attached, and I will update it and send it back to you.
    There were three players we could not agree on however, and we'd like to
    have yours or joe's input on this. The players are Jim Kelly, Ernie
    Stautner, and Lou Creekmur. Some want Creekmur and Stautner to be the '50
    Topps Feltbacks, and others want the '51 Bowman. For Kelly, we cannot agree
    on whether USFL cards should be eligible for an NFL HOF set. Thanks again,
    Joe

Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 6:42 AM
    To: Joe Tocco
    Cc: Orlando, Joe

Joe,

Several weeks ago, I was submitted a request for the HOF set (prior to your
    request). I had asked the submitter to send his concept of the set.
    Attached is what I received and what I had given to Joe to review for
    weighting. I am still waiting to hear back from Joe on this.

I was unaware of any debate on the messageboards. I would appreciate it if
    you would review this list and let me know if there are any changes that all
    agree on before I re-send the list to Joe.

BJ

Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 9:27 AM
    To: Searls, BJ; Orlando, Joe
    Subject: NFL HOF RC Debate

BJ and Joe,
    I don't know if either of you have seen this thread:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=37&threadid=158592

on the Set Registry forum. We've been trying to reach concensus on what
    cards should be included in the NFL HOF RC registry set, and have agreed on
    most points. We cannot agree, however, on three players: Jim Kelly, Ernie
    Stautner, and Lou Creekmur. Some want Creekmur and Stautner to be the '50
    Topps Feltbacks, and others want the '51 Bowman. For Kelly, we cannot agree
    on whether USFL cards should be eligible for an NFL HOF set. Could one of
    you post on the thread your official or even personal position? Thanks,

Joe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I figure I'll wait until Saturday when the class of 2003 is announced and add those guys in using the same criteria for the existing players. I'll list both cards for the players in question and add a note asking them to choose.

Sixdart, that's cool that you requested a 10,000 yard rusher set. I've been collecting that myself but didn't put in a request because it overlaps so much with the All-Time Rushers set. I'll go in and second your request though. May I ask which Curtis Martin RC you included?

Joe
  • Options
    Joe,

Awesome info! Appreciate you doing the footwork for us. You da man..LOL

I will definitely jump on the 10,000 yard rusher list as well. As far as the Curtis Martin RC goes, I would definitely have to go SP. The fact that it is a foil card with dark borders makes it the "hot" Martin RC on ebay at least, spcifically in PSA 9 or better condition. It also carries the highest SMR of any Martin base card issue. Interesting for the 10,000 rushers is, when Eddie George enters the club, possibly next year, which of HIS RC's makes the list??? I think a case could be made for either his Topps Chrome or SP RC.

I'm hoping that I correctly predicted the 2003 HOFers, because I THINK I've already got their RC's...Unless they elect Claude Humphreys..LOL

JasP24
  • Options
    Yeah, I have to begrudgingly agree with the SP for Martin. SMR for an 8 is higher, and it definitely sells for more. That's too bad for me though, because the Select Certified USED to be more valuable, and I picked up a PSA 10. For Eddie George, if he makes it, I'd have to say Topps Chrome based on SMR 8.

Joe
  • Options
    The thing with the Eddie George is that for some reason, HIS Topps Chrome has a higher SMR. Cards of other Rookies from 1996 are typically worth more as an SP Foil card(i.e. Marvin Harrison). So the question is, will the Topps Chrome Eddie George STAY higher in SMR? Also, once we hit cards from the 1990's, I think we should start basing the weight on PSA 9 value instead of 8. I personally try to stay away from anything below a PSA 9 for the newer issues because they are usually pretty easy to find in MINT condition.

JasP24
  • Options

<< <i>The thing with the Eddie George is that for some reason, HIS Topps Chrome has a higher SMR. Cards of other Rookies from 1996 are typically worth more as an SP Foil card(i.e. Marvin Harrison). So the question is, will the Topps Chrome Eddie George STAY higher in SMR? >>

Who knows? We can't predict the future so I assume whichever is higher when he goes in will be the one added.

<< <i>Also, once we hit cards from the 1990's, I think we should start basing the weight on PSA 9 value instead of 8. I personally try to stay away from anything below a PSA 9 for the newer issues because they are usually pretty easy to find in MINT condition.

JasP24 >>

The problem with that is it's PSA's official policy to base weighting on PSA 8 SMR, regardless of when the card was issued. Check the "rules" link.

Joe
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess it's better to have one standard when using cards from all era's. Just my personal preference I guess..LOL..

Just sent a submission in of popped SGC cards that will go into my HOF RC set. I'm very interested in how they grade out. I've crossed over some SGCs before with good results, but never any vintage. Would be great to get an equal grade, which would make the SGC's+$10 for PSA grading a GREAT deal in comparison with PSA card prices lately.

JasP24

• Options
    Just to keep everyone up to date, I talked to BJ today and the registry will be set up to take the 1952 Bowman large and/or small cards.

Robert....
    I will be putting up some more raw vintage HOF rookies this week. Check out my auctions...