Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Your Most Favorite Coin Purchase At Fun

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
Caitlin already reported on her most favorite coin purchase at FUN (the 1936(d) Buffalo nickel in PCGS-MS68) and I also mentioned my most favorite purchase (the 1866 "Lincoln (Copper) Nickel" pattern in PCGS-PR65BN). What was your favorite coin you bought? image Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I bought a NGC MS67*FB 1916 Merc from the Superior auction. I really didn't plan on getting it. The picture was not to good, I hope it is indeed a * coin. mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Saw that coin. Nice grab md. Darn near stole it image

Got Morgan?
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    My only coin purchase. And, fell out of my chair when I got it for that price.image

Russ, NCNE
  • I'm sure the coins will really start being listed when everyone gets back, but in the mean time, I was fortunate enough to buy a PCGS 1945S Walking Liberty in MS67. It's a pop 2 coin and I never expected to own one but you never know. Submitted coins for regrade and went 2 and 1/2 for 3. I'll start another thread on the regrade topic.
    Dickimage
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine was the J1717 Liberty nickel pattern that you were bidding on right beside me.image
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Leo: If it is a dawg and you are looking to get out of it for half of what you paid, send me a PM ... nice coin! image
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boiler78: Yes, that JUDD-1717 was lovely. I had reached my pattern nickel budget by about then and also have that same lovely design being offered to me in aluminum (JUDD 1719) as well. Otherwise, the coin would have cost you more money. Nice buy! image Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Dang Russ!

You're moving right along with your 2 Cents. That puts you in the number 5 spot.

It wasn't too long ago there were losts of empty spots to be had. Now they're filling up with bumping going on. image
    Dan
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I think I got a 1838 PCGS MS-63 Half Dime. It sure looks like I won it.

Tom
    Tom

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not at the Show. image All Bids just got Blown Away. image Maybe next Time.

Looking forward to hearing about other purchases. Maybe some pictures also.
  • I didn't get to attend but I was able to pick up the following coin for my Toned Peace Dollar set at a decent price.

Butch

Toned 1924-P Peace Dollar
    Leo: If it is a dawg and you are looking to get out of it for half of what you paid, send me a PM ... nice coin!
    lol

RGL
    A dawg is the last thing I want to see in my mailbax but I will certainly keep you in mind.
    It's been a long wait for that coin, passed up many of this proof type to find one with frost,
    was beginning to wonder if they exist. Thanks.

Leo

• Just picked up a Sesqui commem in NGC-64 for a steal.
    Keith ™

• While I wasn't able to go, I believe my representative found a 39S Walker in PCGS MS67 for me. Hope to see it by the middle of the week.

Greg
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Other than the red and blue MS65RB 1885 IHC, I picked up an AU 57 flyer with machine doubling on the date, eagles breast and UNITED. It also had two rim nicks. image Neat coin anyway.
    Has anyone receive a notice from heritage, do not expect an invoice until Monday?

Leo

• I got 2 invoices on Friday, called and they said I cannot pay till Monday when the hard copies or coins show back at the home office.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I got my eMail invoice, called, got passed around, put on hold several times, never did talk to anybody who could do anything, finally just left a message.

Russ, NCNE
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was able to buy a 1899 PCGS 67R IHC that is every bit as nice as the Gorrell coin....for over $60,000 less!!image That was a hefty premium for 68 plastic!!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
    Lakes,
    Wow.....it's got to be a nice coin......be sure to post us a picture.

Leo

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the pic. I sure like it!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite purchase at FUN was an 1897-S Morgan MS66 PCGS. Wasn't looking for that date+grade, but when a coin jumps out of the dealer's case and grabs you by the eye appeal throat...

Second favorite purchase was a 1903-O Morgan MS66 PCGS that did the same thing.

In-between those two I traded one, sold four, and returned home with quite a bit more $$$ than I left with. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I still can't decide.

-- Dennis
    When in doubt, don't.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Tim that 99 is more stunning in person, it has amazing strike and luster.

<< <i>Here's the pic. I sure like it!

image >>

Superb......EDS all the way...I can't believe the detail.

Leo

Mitch
    Are you dealing in patterns now or are you buying for your own collection? Do you still have that awesome aluminum IHC pattern?image
  • F.U.N. was "fun" but expensive! image I got 5 coins out of the Pennsylvania Collector Buff set. Also, my favorite newp was a 1918-s pcgs ms 65 buff. (not from the Penn. set)"Tough coin" image
    Cladmaker
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just returned from a week in Orlando, and think I may have to make it an annual event. I had a great time; found some nice coins, met other Registry participants, and even had a couple of days to play tourist before the show. I ended up with 15 coins, ranging from Lincolns through $10 gold, plus a Dark Side coin. It's difficult to choose just one favorite, so here are my top 4, with pictyes below:

1925-S Mercury, PCGS64FB
    1928-D Mercury, PCGS64FB
    1918-P Standing Liberty quarter, PCGS65FH
    1926 $10 Indian, PCGS64

Some of the coins I brought home were upgrades. I should have all of my sets updated later today.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    Of the 3 lots I was seriously going after, I lost 1 to what I believe was 1 bid increment and another one that I was totally blown away on. I assume the toning was stunning in person since I was the high bidder by far when the Internet bidding ended, but the floor people went crazy. image

The one lot I ended up getting was an NGC MS65 1936 Columbia with neat looking toning. It came with the most hideous looking Maryland in NGC MS65. Oh well, a steal at $460 + juice.
  • caitlincaitlin Posts: 858 ✭✭✭
    Cladmaker
    Did I hear you correctly? 5 Buffs from the Penn collection. Can you post the dates? Way to go and yes I'm JEALOUS.
    A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.
  • caitlin,
    Was going to pm you but here are the dates:
    1914-s ms 66 (pq coin- paid dearly)
    1915-d ms 66
    1919-d ms 66
    1925-d ms 65
    1934-d ms 66
    I wanted the 1924-p ms 67 but it was way up there! image kinda like your 1936-d ms 67 image
    cladmaker
  • Here is my beauty, slabbed it after I bought it raw at the show:

Cameron Kiefer
  • I bought a group of Indian cent proofs (picture of favorite 1860 PR66CAM attached), one Jeff nickel, one 3CS and a MS68 Roosie.

Bill

My Other Hobby
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    ...and an 8 Roosie?
    w/o mentioning silver or clad??? image
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up two astounding 3CNs; truly can't decide which on I like most.

One I got from Mark Feld at Pinnacle, an NGC 1875 PR66CAM:

The second at got at the Heritage auction (src53 bid it for me; this is the one Michael Luck and Mark Feld scouted for me), an PCGS 1879 PR67CAM:

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most fav coin I purchased at the show happens not to be for me: an 1797 H10c 13 Stars PCGS EF40.

It is from the Bowers auction, and I was not the high bidder. (I wasn't even the underbidder!) My ``client'' felt sick from not having won the coin that he had me badger the guy who did win it. The scene was kind of funny -- in retrospect.

My client (really a friend) was supposed to do his own bidding on the phone. As the lot approached, I'm on my cell phone with him and he tells me his high bid. I tell him that it's way too low (and, I was right!). Andrew Bowers calls him, and I get conferenced in. As we were bidding, something weird happens and both Andy and I get disconnected. We look at each other, perplexed. I start bidding for my friend and also try to reach him from my cell phone. I get him, he gives me a new number, but the bid had already passed that. He hesitated, and the lot got sold.

I go outside and my friend and I start yelling at each other. I tell him that he's a moron and an arse for not knowing how to execute. He tells me that he feels sick to his stomach, that he really wants the coin, and blames me for not having prepped him earlier and more forcefully on the coin's true value.

I tell to shut the he!! up and that I'd call him back.

I go back into the auction room and ask the high bidder to go for a walk. (I know him; I can do that.) We go outside, and I ask him if the coin's for sale. He contorts his body in protest and says that it's a put-away coin for his collection. He's a dealer, and asked his dealer buddies to afford him courtesy on that coin.

I laugh a bit and remind him that he's a dealer now; I throw out a number -- essentially, it's 10% over what his cost. He protests some more. I tell him that he's getting 10% just for writing a check. He protests some more. I remind him again that he's a dealer, he's getting 10% immediately, and I offer him a cigarette.

He smiles weakly at me, extends his shaking hand at the cigarette and leans against the wall because his legs are now wobbly. The moment he touches my cigarette, I said ``done!'' and extend my hand to shake. He takes my hand and lets out a long, sad sigh.

For those who don't know, this coin is a major rarity. It is a Rarity-6 die marriage (13 to 30 known, with many with problems). This is also a major Red Book variety, and this exact specimen is very much undergraded and certainly condition census. It is also very eye appealing and problem-free.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

"Mitch
    Are you dealing in patterns now or are you buying for your own collection? Do you still have that awesome aluminum IHC pattern"

Boiler: I have collected for years the flying eagle type patterns and misc. Indian cent patterns, like the aluminum IHC pattern, which I still have (as well as a sampling of misc other patterns). But, the incredible collection of pattern nickels in the FUN Bowers sale this week really fascinated me from the time I first examined the catalog. The collection was, overall, sensational, but I also noticed the collection had both a selection of great rarity patterns as well as many more common patterns in less than top grade. I thought a neat goal would be to begin assembling a pattern nickel collection involving virtually all spectacular quality coins and great rarity coins (R-7 or better) only. No rush to complete it - maybe a 10 year project, but simply a search for "cream" coins. I got off to a nice start and have about 15 neat pattern nickels, including a handful of very special pieces. Hey, another 35-50 coins and I'll really have something!! If anyone has any "special" pieces available for sale, please PM me image Wondercoin.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EVP and Mitch- it is stories like yours that make this forum the best on the net!
    EVP- I would have anyone read your conversation description and then challenge them this isn't an exciting hobby!

They sound like great experiences.

peacockcoins

• I bought the 37D 3 Leg PCGS MS66. I really wanted it. I would have paid more. Its a beautiful coin.

Its a famous 20th century rarity. There are only 3 by PCGS (The two others are locked up in major sets). The 26S in PCGS MS65 sold for $103,500.00-and certainly this coin has more demand.

My two other favorite purchases BOTH were Morgans. Jack Lee sold his collection at the show (which really was a better set than the first). I was able to buy the two coins I badly wanted the first time but couldn't get (we bought only the PL's and DMPL's the first time)-the 1889 $1 PCGS MS68 and the 1900 O/CC PCGS MS67.

TDN was at the table drooling over many of our NEWPS, but those are what I really like the best.

Laura Sperber
    lsperber1@hotmail.com

www.legendcoin.com
    Laura Sperber

JUST SAY NO TO WANNABES! They lurk and prey on unwitting collectors in chatrooms!
    Mitch
    The pattern nickel collection in the Bowers auction was pretty special and the Lincoln nickel that you purchased was a real "centerpiece" Congratulations and good luck with the set. image
    Laura: It is great to see you feeling better and well enough to post here - it looked like you really were fighting the flu in FLA. I really enjoyed watching you win that "3 legger" Tuesday night and frankly, I thought to myself it was a miracle that you were able to run off with such a spectacular coin, especially from that auction with what was going on image Your comparision to the pop 9/0 26(s) at $103k is very sound.

My favorite coin purchase at FUN for a customer was the 1920(d) SLQ in PCGS-MS68FH. Simply one of the great 20th century rarities that has everything going for it. Also, with what has been happening lately with Wash quarter prices (ex: 1954(p) NGC-MS68 fetched around $17,000 at FUN even without a * on the holder!!), many coins in the SLQ series are looking relatively "cheap" (to me at least), not to mention just how beautiful the SLQ design is as a coin. image Wondercoin

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

See the other thread for my favorite coin I bought! image My favorite coin actually bought at the show was a specimen 1837 reeded edge half. The obverse was fully proof and the reverse was satiny. This was not a coin that was just a deceptive proof like first strike - it was an actual cameo proof!
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    Was that the 50S PCGS MS68 Roosie that I saw in Dave Schweitz case. I picked up a 51S PCGS MS68 Roosie from the Bowers and Merena Rarities Auction and a couple of neon two sided toned PCGS MS67 Roosies.

Nick
  • Mitch
    the 20d SLQ was awesome and a auction rave
    the only coin in a slab was a pcgs ms67 1939s for a client
    for my Washington double die set
    1939 DDO-006
    1942s RPM-006
    1943s DDO-006
    1943s DDO-008
    1943s DDO-015
    1944 DDO-004
    1944 DDO-018 DDR-003
    1962d DDR-005
    1963d DDO-002
    good FUN show

Still looking for a 1943 double die (11-O-1) AU or better

ZAPS COINS
    Bob
    collect all high grade Washingtons also Washingtons double dies,overmint marks and RPM's always buying
  • I bought a 1916P ms65fb pcgs Mercury, a very nice coin. Had a great time at FUN as well.... feet need to rest now...lol
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    My favorite coin purchased at the FUN show was a PCGS 1921-S Morgan dollar in ms66.
    Usually 21's are ugly,but this is the finest 21-s on this planet !
    I hope it will be the 1st ms67 if that ever happens..
    Still too tired to write about the show..may be able to find some time tomorrow.
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
    Here's an update on the invoices, at least for mine anyway, had them on the phone, thursday the latest.
    They said it's due to the influx of ebay bidders, more then they expected. OK.....over and out.....more later.

Leo

Great news, I finally got my invoice. Came in at 7:41 PM. I'm excited now! more later and hopefully with a good picture.

Let's keep this thread alive!

Leo

Nick: I think you'll like the Bowers 1951(s) Roosie in PCGS-MS68 - I believe I was your underbidder on the coin. image

It's nice to see the strong positive movement of the high grade Roosies - long overdue IMHO.

Wondercoin