Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The True Cost of Shipping to a Business

So I was going to buy a coin yesterday. With a company I have never dealt with before. Which I am always a little wary of, but after weighing certain variables and making sure that they at least stated they have a return policy, I was going to do it. One of those, "can't really afford it, but I'll figure it out" purchases. So I go through checkout. I'm sweating, just about to pull the trigger on this, and then it pops up that Shipping (USPS) will be $13.00.

Stopped me dead in my tracks.

This is an item that should ship for $5.00-$6.00 at most, insured. I know that may make me sound cheap. But, it was just enough to put the kibosh on the deal for me. I am just not going to deal with companies that are taking advantage of shipping costs like that. On principle. I can live without the coins, others will come down the pike (in this instance), but I refuse to be gouged on shipping anymore.

My point is shipping is a very important part of the service any truly topnotch company offers. How fast it's sent, the packaging and the cost to the customer. It is in a companies (and individuals) best interest to get this simple thing right. Sometimes it's all in the details. It can be a thin line between outstanding and mediocre--or poor. And to me, if a company is missing the boat in this area, they probably are in others also, and I will be not inclined to deal with them.

Clankeye and Sons -- Quality Hot-Air Since 2002
Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare

Comments

• Options
    It has always irked me for any mail-order company. I wish they would get their profits from the product and be honest about the shipping charges. Seems like weight is easily figured.
  • Options
    Carl:
    There is nothing cheap about feeling the way you do. I agree 100%, some dealers make addt'l
    money on shipping, especially on $20 coins, when they charge something like $7$ or $8. I understand there is labor and overhead, but $13 is a ripoff. I make it a point to keep a list of these dealers and not buy from them. I also get very upset when I pay for insurance and the package comes back with a label of $1.76 on the package, and I paid $4.00 but $1.50 in insurance through paypal. I would email the seller letting them know that you were ready to complete checkout and then got stopped like a deer in headlights.

Best regards and Happy New year,
    Brian.
  • Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree - it's not "cheapness", it's just indignance at getting taken. I had the same experience with one yesterday on ebay, shipping was $12, and insurane was $5 extra. This on a coin going for around $1000. I wonder how many of us this turns off with regard to the dealer, and if the dealers who do it make enough by the practice to make up for it. It is second only to a "no returns" policy for me, I won't bid in either case. I haven't seen the coin that would cause me to change it, at least not based on a computer image. A coin seen "in person" would be different but, happily, neither problem is involved on an in-person transaction.
    Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    I saw an episode of Candid Camera recently where they were adding on a "handling" charge to customers at a store on over the counter transactions. Some people just paid it. It was kinda funny. image
  • Options
    Sometimes numismatics seems like a very small pond to me. I would think that one of the primary objectives of any company trying to carve out a living in it would be Repeat Customers.

It amazes me how some companies will not even go an extra inch, let alone the extra mile, to try to build a repeat customer base.

Now, the companies and dealers that do, and I know of quite a few that do, make it all worthwhile. And they raise the bar for the rest.

Clankeye
  • Options
    Forget about cheap, because an amount of money can always and rightfully be deemed immaterial to you if it's the principle you care about. The internet does not negate the value of a good reputation and the importance of honor and integrity -- in fact, I would argue that it renders it more important than ever since we are dealing in such a relatively impersonal manner.

Now that everything is becoming so instant, far-reaching, and anonymous due to the net, I feel that we all, businesses and individuals alike, would be doing ourselves a great favor in the long-run if we made that our focus.

I'm not proud of my record in terms of how many people don't appreciate or prefer what I do or how I am, but I am proud of that fact that every single one of them can trust me with their kid, wife, money, or coins. I'm internet-ready, baybay!
    24HourForums.com - load images, create albums, place ads, talk coins, enjoy the community.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I have done that also pulled the trigger on a $15 item and found a $10 shipping charge. Well I bought, I'll pay the shipping once. Then you get added to my block list, I'll even leave positive feedback, with a high shipping charge noted in the feedback, I have even mentioned in the paypal payment that the shipping charge is a bit steep. The don't seem to care, so I stop buying from them.

In my auctions, I state that Priority Mail shipping is $5.15 with $50 ins. every extra $100 worth of ins is $1.30. I like priority mail because the boxes are free. If someone askes me to ship 1st class I will.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I just ran into a puzzling situation. The auction description said "Buyer pays actual shipping and insurance cost," but the bottom section said shipping would be $4.50 on an $8.00 coin. I e-mailed the seller and figured that the $4.50 figure was carried over from his template for a $200 or $300 coin. Here's the response, "We usually charge $4.50 to cover the cost of handling, packaging, postage & insurance. However, I will reduce the shipping cost to $3.50 on this auction."

According to the USPS postage calculator, it will only cost the seller $1.90 to send the coin. That's quite a bit less than the "actual cost" he quoted. Small things like throwing in an handling cost and stating otherwise is enough to keep me from buying from him again.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Shiroh--
    On an $8.00 coin, to pay an extra $1.60 over what the real cost of shipping is amounts to a 20% buyers fee.

The item I was going to purchase in my initial post was just under $500. That particular item should be sold now, and on it's way to me. But, it isn't, and it's not the kind of thing that goes flying off shelves. Hence, my thread title, "The True Cost of Shipping to a Business."

Carl/Clankeye/Clank--whoever.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get it. If you have a employee preparing the coin for shipment, the cost is more than materials. Time is expensive and the margin on a $10 coin doesn't cover it.

How much was the purchase price of the coin, Clankeye?? Insurance rates have gone way up.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549

<< <i>I had the same experience with one yesterday on ebay, shipping was $12, and insurane was $5 extra. This on a coin going for around $1000. >>

If you take Marty's math of 5.15 plus 1.30 for each hundred dollars worth of insurance 17 bucks actually comes in a little low.

The last time i shipped an $1800 coin registered/insured mail, which i feel is clearly the only way to ship valuable numismatic material, it cost just shy of $13. This is exclusive of my time, materials etc.

I never have a problem paying to have a valuable item delivered securely. I don't mind paying someone for their time.

My girlfriend runs an internet clothing company which charges $6.50 to send a $34 item via priority mail with delivery confirmation. This represents nearly a 20% markup that i have never heard anyone complain about.

If a shipping charge is going to be a significant portion of the sale price then by all means figure it in to the equation.

If a coin is a $5 item and shipping is $1 that represents a 20% markup in price which is considerable, but i don't think anyone could possibly complain about. If you do have a problem, don't buy.

If the coin is a $500 coin that i am very interested in and the shipping is stated as 15 bucks, (3% of the total price) i probably won't even blink an eye.

z
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I got a $130 coin in yesterday for which I paid $5.45 shipping. Arrived with 60¢ postage (uninsured, of course). Needless to say, that was my first and last transaction with this seller. At least he spent the 40¢ for a padded envelope.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>If the coin is a $500 coin that i am very interested in and the shipping is stated as 15 bucks, (3% of the total price) i probably won't even blink an eye. >>

Well, Zenny in this case I blinked an eye. Because of not being very familiar with the company, and knowing fully insured the shipping would be 6-- 7 dollars at most. Perhaps I have been spoiled, it's possible. One company I deal with never charges shipping at all-- that is not a realistic expectation and I would never ask a company that doesn't know me to wave shipping charges. I would never ask one that did, for that matter.

You can make a case for a company's expenses, if you want to get down to the wage of the employee packing it up, and the cost of a cardboard container, and the ink that the printer used to print your address, etc. etc. But, the fact remains there is a window of exceptable shipping charges to me. And like you said Zenny, if it isn't there, don't buy it. It wasn't and I didn't. I'm not mentioning the company by name. I'm not on any vendetta, just sitting here on a New Year's Eve morning and thought I'd have a little discussion at the water-cooler about shipping charges.

Clankeye
  • Options
    One further note. The premium on the coins being asked IMO was sufficient when combined with the high shipping to back me off. But, that's another factor altogether.

C
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    My beef is with the claim that the seller only charges "actual" shipping and insurance costs. He adds a handling fee and claims he does not. That is dishonest in my book. When I say I only charge actual shipping and insurance fees, I do exactly that.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    One other funny wrinkle to put in. For a legitimate company, s/h counts as income and they are taxed on it as income. So the IRS recommends a little extra to cover the taxes. That came straight from an IRS person to a group of us when I went to a SBA meeting when in college. For individuals, it's a different issue. But for companies, I do understand it.
  • Options
    At least he spent the 40¢ for a padded envelope

Russ, you can buy bubble mailers on Ebay for only $4.99 for 50. If you by more they get even cheaper so don't assume they bought them from office max or wherever for 40¢, more then likely they only paid 10 - 15 cents for them.
  • Options
    Clankeye,

<< <i>knowing fully insured the shipping would be 6-- 7 dollars at most >>

How do I send a $1,000 fully insured for $6-7? A $500 item first class insured would be about $7 for First Class Insured. Registered Mail, which should be used for an item of this value, costs more.
    Editted to add Posted by itsnotjustme. I didn't realize my son was logged on. doh!
    kobrakoins
  • Options

<< <i>How do I send a $1,000 fully insured for $6-7? A $500 item first class insured would be about $7 for First Class Insured. >>

The item I'm talking about was $450.00. How do you send $1,000 fully insured for $6-7? I have no idea. But, as you said $500 or under should be done for 7 or less. Which is exactly were I pegged it.

I never mentioned the $1000 dollar figure. Someone else did.

Clankeye
  • Options
    When I started this thread I realized there was a chance I would come off like Scrooge pushing away the bread when he was told it would cost a penny extra... but, I do want to say I am totally pro business' being in business to make money. I have never really been one of those guys that wants a dealer to buy my coin at sheet and then expect him to sell me his coin at sheet also. I'm just kind of ruminating on the idea that business' sometimes have more to lose than gain, by pushing the ceiling on things like shipping.

The coffee is begining to wear off now. I will accept that I have said my piece.

Carport
  • Options
    Clank -

You are obviously a great communicator, as evidenced by your numerous literate/humorous/thought provoking posts here. Did you check for a phone number to see if the shipping charge was negotiable? Or perhaps try emailing them? Maybe they'll accept a cameo role in exchange for shipping?

Russ -

Did you request insurance?

Do you like the coin?

My humble suggestion is to communicate your dissatisfaction to the seller, not merely to write them off forever and ever. Any good businessperson will try to make their customers happy, perhaps they would be willing to ship to you in the future in a manner that would make you more comfortable?

z
  • Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too wonder how many potential good customers the "high" shipping puts off. I expect that for every one of us who notices it and moves on, there are fifty who couldn't care less. Who knows. I have to say it is a real pleasure when you deal with someone who has no separate shipping charge - probably foolish given the small relative cost involved ( and realizing it has to be included in the coin's price), but I guess that's just a quirk. Somehow it makes you feel your usiness is important to the dealer.
    Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    Shiro,

The buyer didn't say that you pay only the actual postage and insurance charges. The quote you had in your first post was:

<< <i>The auction description said "Buyer pays actual shipping and insurance cost," >>

It does not say buyer pays ONLY actual shipping....

You pay what he asks and you HAVE paid the actual shipping ad Insurance costs, plus some more for him! image
    He hasn't lied at all. You inferred something that wasn't there.
  • Options
    Conder, that was true, but shifty! I think it's also obvious that the seller intends for the bidders to believe they will not have to pay more than the actual shipping and insurance.
    24HourForums.com - load images, create albums, place ads, talk coins, enjoy the community.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't disagree with any of you. I do know that when I go to the PO and have to stand in line for 30 minutes, I know there is more cost to shipping than the envelope, ink, etc. Guess that's why I'm sympathetic to "reasonable" shipping charges.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Condor--

You actually get to pay shipping and handling!

Now that cracks me up! image

Clogeye
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Before I begin with my answer to Clankeye's question let me agree that I too would have pulled the plug at the $13 ship cost. However to me it is not the ship cost alone that would have spoiled the transaction, it is the fact that the cost was not disclosed until checkout. If the total cost was attractive it would make no difference how much the shipping cost was.

In a retail environment chances are you pay $13 and or more for shipping everytime. The difference is much of the time the cost of shipping is factored in the price of the item. Many will instantly say "well that's how it should be always". Believe me, if you are a collector who often makes multiple item purchases it is generally to your advantage if the shipping charge is not factored in the price of the item. If that is the case you are paying multiple shipping costs for one shipment. Also, if you go to the retail location to buy you would be paying for the shipping even though no shipment was made. The key to this whole shipping cost issue is disclosure. One of the first things I do when I go to a web site is to check the site map for shipping costs. I know I cannot make a cost value decision without that facored in.

Many of the replies here are answering the question "what did the Post Office charge the business to ship the package?". That can be answered by counting the stamps.

Now to the question at hand "what is the true cost of shipping to a business?"

I am not a dealer, but I do own a business and I deal with these costs everyday. Especially this time of year as we develop our forcasts for 2003. I will try to transfer my situation to that of a coin dealer.

First of all it is not possible to put a total dollar figure per package. Per package cost is a function of volume. If I am shipping 1000 packages a week my cost is considerably less than if I ship 200 a week, which is considerable less than if I ship 50 packages a week. In that this is hypothetical I will need to use some "If, Then" statements.

If the dealer is a small one man operation then he likely can handle the few packages a week by himself. The only cost is that with the added time requirements he doesn't get home on time to have dinner with Mom and the Kids. When I started my business and was doing everything myself, I too didn't get home for dinner with the wife and kids. That is a cost I will never incur again.

If the operation is more than the dealer himself, then the largest cost is Labor. If the dealer has a coin shop, his current employee can not leave the floor and has to keep a keen eye on customers so the dealer will likely have to hire an additional person to handle shipping. This creates quite a dilema because the dealer needs a trustworthy, detail conscious employee who is interested in working part time. If the dealer had enough volume to hire a full time employee that would make it easier. Now how much does he pay this employee. Hmmm.. this guy will be handling very valuable items and any error could result in a huge loss. He also needs to be of great integrity as he will be heading out to USPS with thousands of dollars of the dealers stuff. Sounds to me like an expensive employee. This is no minimum wage employee. Are we talking $12, $15, $20 per hour? Does this employee need to be bonded? I can't answer that. That is a risk management decision for the dealer. After payroll taxes probably $10,000- $20,000 for a part-time situation. $25,000 - $40,000 for a full-time position.

If the dealer uses the USPS (which is less cost to the customer in most cases than UPS or FedEx), then he has to factor a transportaion cost. Does he need to purchase an automobile to get the coins to the USPS? Probably not. But now his employee is required to use their personal car. That will save some money. Now the dealer's cost is mileage paid to the employee. A couple of bucks a day. Ten to twenty bucks a week. $500 to $1000 a year.

The dealer now has an employee using their car for company business. He now has to get a rider on his business insurance to cover this situation. My employees rarely, if ever, use their personal cars for business. It does happen so I choose minimal coverage for this. It costs me $300/ year. I know a guy who owns a courier service where his employees use their own cars. His cost is $35,000/ year. I would guess in this case probably $500-$1000 per year.

Now the dealer has an employee driving an automobile on the job. The Workers Comp clasification just changed increasing the dealars annual Workers Comp insurance by $1000 per year.

I have not even touched on supplies, the actual shipping charged by the Post Office. Overhead requirements such as space, computers, etc. And the greatest cost is what I refer to as the "Aggravation Index". From what I have figured above I am glad that I am not a coin dealer.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Clank,

Wouldn't the grammatically correct thread title be "The true cost to business of shipping"?image

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    Fats -

Very nice essay there, i agree with much of it. I just don't understand, after all that, how 13 bucks on a 450 dollar item is too much to pay, simply because of WHEN the seller revealed his shipping cost. Isn't that what "checkout" is all about? What, is there supposed to be copy somewhere else on the website that says "WARNING: the shipping charges that appear at checkout may cause dizziness, loss of breath, nausea, swelling, redness around the infected area and jaundice."?

Your post, otherwise, is extremely logical and persuasive.

z

p.s. very glad to hear you no longer miss dinner with the family. ;-)
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    This was covered last week in a thread and the eBay dealers said they charge high shipping to pay for their tape, staples, tires for their car and their very valuable time they spend playing on their computer listing auctions & standing in the Post Office line or they couldn't stay in business.
    I posted a thread several weeks ago where a German seller charged me $1.50 to ship a coin from Germany and it arrived here in 4 days. Board member & error Fred Weinberg dealer ships FREE Registered shipping on almost everything you buy from him whether over the phone or from his eBay auctions.
    You can tell the difference between a home seller & a real business by their shipping charges.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    It's nice when shipping works out well and cheap.

I guess it's also nice when a dealer charges enough for their coins that their profit margin is so great they can afford to ship registered mail for free.
  • Options
    Dog97

Not to beat a dead horse, no where in my post did I opine on what a dealer should charge. Free shipping is great. And can be a good marketing decision, however, you are paying for all the costs I listed whether it has free shipping or not. If someone does not pay those costs, then there is no business. As I clearly stated up front, disclosure is all that matters. If I see a product listed at $500 and free shipping at one web site-- and I see the same exact product listed on another web site for $400 and $50 shipping, I'm in the long line paying $50 for shipping everytime.

• Options
    Well, I went to the Post Office yesterday, and shipped a group of coins using the PO's FREE flat-pack Priority mailer, with $800 insurance, and delivery confirmation. Total cost was around $13.00 for that. USPS rates have skyrocketed dramatically for ALL services, to the point where UPS and FedEx rates are becoming very competitive.

Even 1st Class shipping requires a seller to buy an $.80 padded envelope (you only get them for $.40 if you buy in bulk), and don't forget the rolls of tape you end up going through. It's a royal pain in the butt to ship anything anymore, and I generally no longer concern myself with what shippers charge.
    Keith ™

• Options
    Vox Rationalis, indeed.
  • Options
    Really good and thoughful replies, guys. I love it when you pry my eyes and brain open just a wee bit more.

Cranktoe
  • Options
    I do not purchase items that have inflated shipping charges either. It is one of my pet peeves. It really jacks the price up on that "good bargain" you found -- Unless you can't help it. On eBay, I check shipping charges before I read the item description. If their shipping is padded, I click on. More expensive and heavier items will, of course, have higher shipping charges - but I am talking about buying one coins that could ship insured for a few dollars - or less.

I also refuse to leave good feedback for a Seller if their shipping is inflated. I don't leave negative either, but I won't leave them feedback at all. For instance, I got conned on some high shipping charges for about 6 auctions from one Seller. I emailed them in advance to verify that they did combine shipping - and when it got to nitty gritty - they still jacked it up. I questioned the Seller and even called them long distance at my cost. It is principle. Since shipping rates have gone up - internet buying just isn't what it used to be.

To cut shipping costs, I recycle those padded envelopes and you can also get free shipping supplies, including tape, from www.usps.com and the other shippers as well. I also recycle all padded supplies such as bubble wrap - and never have to buy any. You can also get it from stores if you ask. My hubby works at a dealership and he brings me all kinds of boxes and bubble wrap. I am sure all kinds of businesses have these things that they throw away - Just ask.

If everyone stood up for principle and quit buying from those folks who jack up shipping costs - maybe they will eventually get the message. I have posted on this subject before on this forum. Of course, some folks say it doesn't matter to them - but it does matter to me.

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Some sellers are just plain stupid, no wonder they can't make any money.
    A good example: several months ago I won a $45 Morgan on eBay. The seller charged me $2 shipping $1 for insurance. So far so good. So I get this large (13½x11½x2½) red white & blue Priority Mail box filled with stryofoam packing peanuts & a cute little red white & blue #10 envelope inside with a flip with a Morgan in it, total postage cost $5.15, didn't have to sign for it or anything.
    And I'm thinking hmmm...yesterday I mailed a Morgan just like it for $2.80 and the seller has to sign for it because I insured it for $51.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    BIGDAVEBIGDAVE Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
    In my auctions last week
    Total was $362 I charged $7.30 s/h/i i sent it out registered mail cost me $12.07
    Total was $91.77 i charged $3.30 s/h/i i sent it out package service with ins cost me $4.27

And on and on This does not include mailers or tape or time ,i will never send anything out without insurance and a tracking # maybe that is why none of my coins are ever" lost in the mail"
    I go the extra mile to insure whoever buys from me GETS the coin they paid me for.

on a $450 coin $15.00 s/h/i is not out of line
    on a $10 coin it should be $3.30 unless you ,as a buyer are going to take the responsability of "lost in the mail"

as a seller i feel it is my responsability to make sure you get the coin !!

I agree there are a lot of crooks out there trying to make extra money , but do try to understand there is a lot more involved than just postage and ins .
  • Options
    zenny,

Just to get back to you why I too would have pulled the plug on Clankeye's coin at check-out. When people make a purchase decision, they are weighing if the cost equals the value of the item. In this case I would have based my decision on the $450 plus $5-$7 for shipping. I would have assumed the $5-$7 as that seems to be customary for many dealers.

So based on my assumption I make my decision to buy. When I find out at the next step that the ship cost is different from my original assumption it forces me to decide all over again regarding the cost/value issue. The problem is that I already convinced myself of the fair price I am willing to pay. Now the price has increased. Now if I buy the coin I have to contradict my belief that the assumed price was fair. That's the rub. If I had known during the decision making process that the total cost was going to $463 I could have made the decision without the conflict of the prior decision. Who knows, the $463 may be a great price, but psychologically, the deal is not nearly as good now.

I have stated over and over again that clear disclosure is the answer. As a business man I know that all disclosure needs to be made prior to the decision point. As everyone knows, fine print and after the fact disclosures only piss people off. I don't want to get into psycho-babble here but any conflict for a purchaser quickly brings on a bad case of "Buyers Remorse" and good-bye sale.
  • Options
    How about a reply to settle the discussion once and for all.
    Has anyone considered the following?

If you are selling an expensive coin on Ebay, say over $500. Would it not be good business sense
    to work your shipping charge into your opening bid. This way you gain repeat business and still
    make money. I have never paid more than $7 on shipping for any coin that I have bought on Ebay.
    I have bought coins for $5 and also for $1500.00. I guess the sellers who do this are winning because they are obviously getting more business and more bidders. Think about this as a matter
    of principal. Even if it costs you $20 to ship a $1000 coin, would it not make sense to absord that
    $15 difference and only charge $5 in your ebay text description. Obviously you stand a greater chance of attracting more repeat bidders if you charge $5, and in the long run you make more money. Has anyone actually thought about this?

Happy new year,
    Brian.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wingedliberty, good point and I have mentioned what you stated many times before. There are too many problems and arguments over shipping. It should just be built in, and end of story. Sellers complain about the costs but look at the exposure they get through the internet. Would they rather not be able to sell through the internet and wait for someone to call or walk in their door? I don't think so.

Yes, maybe they need to eat a little shipping and be thankful they are doing business. And when doing business in volume it makes up for it. But try and be "right" and cover all expenses will not really make a person a winner.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>How about a reply to settle the discussion once and for all.
    Has anyone considered the following?

If you are selling an expensive coin on Ebay, say over $500. Would it not be good business sense
    to work your shipping charge into your opening bid. >>

????

Opening bid doesn't really mean a whole heck of a lot. Once the opening bid is made, how can you possibly preserve the included shipping charge. Unless, of course, the starting bid is high which probably means no one is going to be bidding on the thing anyway.

Fats -

makes sense, although realistically for me 10-15 bucks to ship a fairly valuable item securely still seems pretty much fair enough.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll keep my response simple.

I always figure the cost of shipping and insurance in any coins I buy through the mail (ebay included). If the total is out of line, I won't buy it. However, if someone has a high shipping cost and the item is cheap, it doesn't scare me off. I purchase based on the total including S/H/I. One way in which some dealers can keep the commision cost down is to charge extra in shipping and just about give the items away.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Hi Clankeye,

I can't speak for anyone else but I have been shipping coins via USPS (registered, insured, return receipt) for nearly thirty years without ever having lost a package. It's not the most economical way to ship coins but it is the safest and that's why I utilize this particular service. I charge my customers a flat rate of $10 for orders under $1,000 and can assure you that I lose a little on each shipment. A few have complained about the ten bucks and I'm sure a few have not bid in my auctions because of this charge -- but I don't profit from it and I would rather be safe than sorry. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...at least it is too me.

Best Regards,

Mike De Falco

DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

*** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Some people look at the S/H fee in relationship to the postage on the envelope and think the seller's making big bucks on rip-off shipping.

A bubble envelope costs me $.17 per 100 (here) and I wrap the slab in bubble wrap so that makes it go over 2 ounces, so it's $.83 in postage. $1.01 costs - plus eBay and PayPal have their hands out too.
    I charge $4.50 and all I do is charity work to provide the nice people of ebay with cheap coins.

Then, if the buyer wants to bet the post office that they'll lose his package, then I charge and extra 20-50c over USPS rates. While I'm Standing in line to place the guys bet I'm glad to know I'm getting 20c for it.

Don't tell anyone image, but I got this coin from a board member in a swap. It didn't make the "keep" pile so I listed it on eBay. $2.25 coin

Then I get this email:

Hi!! I hope you had a Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year. I'm sending payment via paypal.

I'm sorry - but I won't do business with you any more - Way to high for shipping.

So I'll probably be neg'd for my shipping. I sure hate losing a $2 buyer though.image

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then why bother listing a 2.00 coin? Seems like a lot of trouble to go through.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very high s/h charges can indicate that the item being sold is a poor value. When you return
    such an item they will not return your s/h so can make lots of money even if it all comes back.

There should b a federal law against mail order companies charging for shipping and handling.
    If the item is'nt being sold at all over the counter then what possible justification can there be
    to charge all there customers extra? If shipping and handling (their business) is so onerous to
    them then perhaps they should find a new line of work.

The best for me is when they charge a very low rate which won't quite cover the actual cost of
    shipping. It makes it look like they really want to do business and don't expect returns.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file