Home U.S. Coin Forum

Can you look at coins and not buy?

nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
If so, how did you achieve this remarkable goal? For me, when I go to a show or place with coins I always find my wallet is in close proximity. image Hard to pass up a great looking piece or a good deal. Have you ever been able to go to a show and buy nothing?

Comments

• mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    I can go to a coin show, but I always have to buy something, even if it is an elongated cent. If I can't find something I want, I will find something cheap just as a momento. And of course if I see what I think is a good deal, well...image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    Yes i can refrain from buying at a show, but only if i had to. image

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    "Can you look at coins and not buy?" Yes, I seem to be doing that more and more. Something is telling me to save, save ,save.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've got the same feeling. I've sold about $550 worth of coins this month and spent $780! image
  • jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    If I had a lot of shows to go to I probably could look and not buy. However, I'm luck if I get to go to one a year, so I make sure that I have some cash on hand, and I'm buying. I have a local dealer, and I've been in his shop "just to look" several times.
    J'har
  • If im goin to go all the way to a coinshow i always need something for my troubles.
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
  • I guess I am beyond those days of having to buy at a show, I have
    been there before. I go to the Baltimore show twice a year and have
    bought nothing at the show over the past 2-3 years. I go to the
    shows to see what coins are on display and see my friends.
    The few purchases I have made recently have been through eBay
    and a dealer, and he mailed me the coins. Years ago however,
    it was imposssible for me to go to any show without buying
    coins. I used to live for that. I guess I am just getting old.
    "location, location, location...eye appeal, eye appeal, eye appeal"
    My website
  • LokiLoki Posts: 897 ✭✭

<< <i>Can you look at coins and not buy? >>

Can you look at LanLord's sig and not drool?
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad CharlieB already said it so I don't seem quite so strange. image

I can easily go to a show and not buy, because most of the time I think they are asking too much for what I'm interested in. (I'm not saying they are asking too much, just that I think they are.) I did go to Baltimore for 2 1/2 days and buy nothing, and when I came home my wife - who is supportive of my collecting - had to ask why I spent all that money to go there and come home emptyhanded.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Can you look at coins and not buy?

Yes I could, but why would I want to do that? lol
    Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes- I know that my budget is slim when it exists, so I see lots that I could afford, but I just don't want to commit the money... even an occasional $20... I've looked at lots that I like, but I just am not to bad at saying no, because I want to wait for the perfect coin... one day it will come...

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • No. I am insatiable.

anaconda

CharlieB - I love your signature - location, location, location....eye-appeal, eye-appeal, eye-appeal.

By the way....how old are?

(You're old if coins made during your birth year are no longer considered moderns.)

• VeepVeep Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, happens far more often than not. I'm looking for specific items. When they are not there; in the grades I'm seeking, I pass. Ocassionally, when I strike out, I'll pick something up for one of my sons.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I have been to a few shows and not bought a single thing. It's simple for me - if there are no die varieties to cherrypick, there's nothing at the show for me. I feel rather down about walking away empty handed, but don't feel bad at all that I didn't buy anything. If it doesn't fit the bill exactly, I don't want any of it.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure; no problem. Spent five hours at Long Beach in September & bought nothing.

I learned my lesson when I spent all day looking for a nice MS 65 Barber Dime three years ago. I was very frustrated because saw at least 20 of them, and only one was an okay -- not great -- coin; the rest were ugly or problem coins. So, I bought the okay coin and have regretted it ever since.

So, if it's not what I'm looking for and / or nice for the grade, I don't buy it.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I use the 24 hour rule for most of my coin purchases. When I find a coin that I feel I must have, I wait 24 hours before placing the order or bidding. I find that I actually proceed with the purchase only about 50% of the time. This eliminates any impulse buys. I might add that this is not a perfect plan in that on two occaisions the coin I wanted had already been sold.

I have to be very careful with my coin purchases because my wife often threatens to cut me off. In fact I have been cut off for the rest of the year. I know that if I buy another coin before January 1st that she will "cut IT off".

Don't wanna be another Bobbit Bobbit's Prayer

Can't wait for fun at "FUN".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file