Home U.S. Coin Forum

Get paid in Rare Coins?

We may be able to offer you a part-time job where you can get paid in collectable coins (or plain, everyday coins, if you prefer).

In December, we start national advertising to sell our COIN Inventory software. We are also starting a national mailing campaign to over 5,000 coin dealers offering to sell them a highly customized version of the program. We would like to work with knowledgeable coin collectors that also have a good knowledge of computers, and that can interface with the dealer as a systems analyst, providing us with detailed feedback on how the software needs to be customized for the dealer. You don’t have to be a programmer but it would help. My programmers will take the “business rules” you get from the dealer and write the software so the program addresses his every need. My guys do the grunt work, you do the brain work. Since most dealers want to spend store hours selling, you will probably be able to work evenings with them so you don’t need to worry about time conflicts with your day job. DO NOT QUIT YOUR DAY JOB!

If you are potentially interested, please email some experience, knowledge, and background information to janrschwenk@attbi.com.

Thanks!
Jan
U.S. coin collector since 1943. Have tried desperatly to keep every coin that has come to hand, but unfortunately, some got away.

Comments

• Neat. I think this is the first coin job offer ever posted here in the PCGS message boards. Good luck, and there should be a few knowledegable people that would like to pick up extra work - and a few coins.

Cameron Kiefer
  • critocrito Posts: 1,735
    once caught a nasty trojan horse this way... remotely controlled my PC to launch DoS attacks. which to an observer would appear to be coming from me. good thing I wasn't logged in with admin rights, or entire LAN could have been wipped out. same happened to a friend of mine and intruder changed all the admin passwords. was pretty funny watching him freak out, actually. not implying anything about this particular software package, I haven't even installed it, but that's the reason why. good luck tho.
  • Forget it, dingalingdog. Take your garbage somewhere else.

Ray
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    ya know I deal with database management stuff like that, evaluate and build packages...but this doesnt sound kosher to me.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    I've talked with Jan numerous times in email over the past few weeks. I have no reason to believe his offer is anything but sincere.

Neil
  • Crito,

What are you a veteran of? I am a decorated, wounded Vietnam vet and frequent visitor of the VA. Do you really thing I would waste what little time I have left sending a Trojan Horse?

Download the software and install it. If it contains a Trojan Horse, or any other sort of horse, I'll buy you a new one*.

Rgds
    Jan

Note *: Trojan Horse, that is.
    U.S. coin collector since 1943. Have tried desperatly to keep every coin that has come to hand, but unfortunately, some got away.
  • Cameron,

Your type-set is impressive, as is your accomplishments! Congrats! And thanks for the kind words (it seems some in this group are bitter). If you get a chance, check out the PCGS registry Dahlonega Gold Set (1838-1861) - I have the honor to rank # 4 in all time finest. If I had the time or the courage to cross my NGC -D's, I might move up a notch or two.

Regarding your work with kids, Kudos! Tell me how many cd-rom you need of our coin collecting software - I would like very much to offer them free.

And, should you, by any chance have an old PCGS 1959 MS67 (or higher) Roosevelt that you no longer love, I could sure use it to complete that registry set. I had no idea how compelling these dog-goned things can be!

Rgds
    Jan Schwenk
  • Ray,

Please forgive me! I did not realize that you owned this forum, or that you were the exclusive keeper of supreme propriety.

Read your own message - it tells a great deal about you.

But I forgive you! Heck! I even forgive the VC.

Jan
  • Bob,

You sound like a very experienced and erudite computer guru. Perhaps you would kindly enlighten me as to what "does not sound kosher"?

I am talking about software, not corned beef.

I have had the pleasure of being involved with micro computers from the very beginning. Our list of satisfied customers includes USAF, FBI, DEA, BofA, Chase Manhattan, W.R.Grace, Fujitsu, Sony, TI, and many other businesses both large and small, and several governments.

Before you pass judgement on something, shouldn't you have a little more information?

Have you looked at the software that I am talking about? I'm even willing to send both you and Ray a copy on cd at my expense.

Rgds
    Jan
  • Jan, sent pm.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Neil,

Thanks for the kind words.

Rgds
    Jan
  • Jan:

Is teh software still available for download somewhere?

I had been using CoinManage and did not like it, although the developer promised to send me a new CD, but never did. I have resorted to spreadsheets.

Please let me know.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Frank,

Yes, you can download it at http://download.coinweb.org/ (approx 82 mb). If your link is too slow send me your mailing address to my email at janrschwenk@attbi.com and I will send you a cd-rom (which also has a copy of the preliminary manual) at no charge.

We are very interested in your comments, suggestions, and what you would like to see in coin collecting software - if your ideas are good we will incorporate them into the software.

Thanks for asking.

Rgds
    Jan
  • Jan,

Way to keep things straight image

I think I'll have one of those "horses..."

I'll PM my adress
    Thanks
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    E-Mail sent
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Jan,

I never said your package contained a Trojan Horse. I said I haven't installed it. Your behavior is a red flag.

Regards,
    Crito
  • gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,225 ✭✭
    What is the version that you asked us to download in the registry set forum? The version that was 83 megs in size.

Was it a trial or beta version? What does it do?

I don't like the idea of it "publishing" my coins to registries. I'd prefer that people NOT know what I own.
  • The way your coming off dingodog, makes it sound like your begging people to install this software. Now I'm not saying anything poor against you or your software. For all I know it's totally legit. But my questions is, if I were to send you some questions relating to the source code of your program, and a couple questions about your corp. would you answer them? Again I'm not bashing, just curious about a couple things...

from my perspective, this is what I saw: you set off virus scanners, strike one. you offered to use remote control software to fix setup probs, strike two. then you start giving away rare coins to get more people to install, strike three. plus the boards (both PCGS and NGC) have been experiencing problems similar to what one would expect from a DoS attack. Put it all together, and I'd have to be a complete noob not to think twice. GL
  • Crito,

Thanks! I'll accept that as constructive criticism. I have been a red flag all my life. (65, and hopefully, counting). I have lived a very unusual and exciting life first in the military, then as a spy, then as an entrepreneur. I am loud, pushy, fat, ugly, but also very creative. I know I grate on people but I am what I am and couldn't change if I wanted to. But I try to be honest because that is a lot easier. This software has cost me several thousand hours of my programmers (whom I pay with current coins), and I want to make it the absolute standard of the industry. Make a mark, a last hurrah, so to speak. I offer it free right now but it will cost in the future. What I hope to get for the freeness is some good feedback. In the software business that is called "beta". I usually pay for what I get and honestly believe that everyone that gets this software will be getting one Heck of a deal.

I have many programmers working for me. Some are "hackers". I've hired them so that people don "hack" me. (That was a good word back when we wrote some of the foundation software of the industry).

You are right - something for nothing is a red flag. How to overcome that? I'm open to suggestions.

Rgds
    Jan
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jan,

CD arrived Monday and I installed the program. I was up and running within 5 minutes. So far I like what I see. I, too, was using CoinManage and couldn't wait until something better came along. This looks like it's what I've been waiting for. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Cheers,

Bob
    you can find my old shareware apps in best selling books like "Maximizing Windows" by Boyce. Wilson WindowWare still distributes one. Wyzata was putting some on their "Best of PC Shareware" CD. And I never made diddly squat from it. So REALLY do wish you good luck.... but doubt I'll be installing it anytime soon... sometimes it pays NOT to be first.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's like my old MacEmatics math program for kids. Got entire school systems using it in the 90s. But couldn't keep up with it. Had about 10,000 students using it at it's height in 1996.

Neil
  • Dingo,
    The coin forum is not the place to solicit people to peddle your wares. If you offer to let forum members use your software so they can provide you constructive feedback, then that's a different matter.

Ray
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray,

You may have missed a previous thread. Jan has graciously offered this software free of charge to board members in via download or USPS on CD. In return, we try it, use it, and offer constructive criticism. I received my CD the other day and have begun using it. Jan is on the level and is offering a useful tool to all of us. I'll try to find the original thread and post a link to it here for you and everyone else to see.

Linka-dinka-doo

Edited to provide link

Cheers,

Bob
  • Okay, I'm going to to offer an apology to dingodog.
    I did miss the first thread he made concerning this with his offer of free software and his request for feedback from those downloading and using it.
    What ticked me off was the solicitation to the members for getting paid in rare coins or otherwise.
    I don't feel the coin forum is the proper place to solicit people to promote a product for payment.
    Let's hear some feelings about the propriety of solicitations here.

Ray
  • Ray,

No need to apologize, but thanks.

I did not offer to pay anyone in anything for promoting a product. As I said in my original post, I am the one doing the promoting through advertising and direct mailings to over 5,000 dealers. I hope to sell my software to dealers and in my 25+ years of selling software to businesses I have found that:

A. Every business, or at least the way it is run, is essentially unique
    B. Most businesses, even those that already use computers, still need a lot of hand holding with new and more sophisticated software

In my 59 years of coin collecting, I have never found a collecter that didn't need just a few more coins, or a few better ones.

If I am able to sell my software to dealers in my local area, I will take care of them, however if I find dealers around the U.S., I would rather find experienced collectors that have some computer background to be our representative on the spot. If a collector with the right qualifications, experience and attitude helps us fit our software to a dealer in his area, he will be paid. If you will notice the original message offered "rare coins" or plain old money by way of compensation. If such an event or events occur, I would expect to pay for the assistance.

In this economy there are many unemployed persons. Some of them may be coin collectors in this very forum. I am not making false promises, I would like very much to help them.

As to your request for feeling about the propriety of solicitations here, it seems that virtually every message posted in this forum (and probably just about any forum) is a solicitation of some sort. Do you not agree?

Jan

<< <i>Okay, I'm going to to offer an apology to dingodog.
    I did miss the first thread he made concerning this with his offer of free software and his request for feedback from those downloading and using it.
    What ticked me off was the solicitation to the members for getting paid in rare coins or otherwise.
    I don't feel the coin forum is the proper place to solicit people to promote a product for payment.
    Let's hear some feelings about the propriety of solicitations here.

Ray >>

• Crito,

I can appreciate your perspective, and I understand that you feel it doesn't pay to be first (sometimes). I have noted in other of your posts here that you are probably an old programmer as you have 'shareware' programs that have apparently been around a long time, but from which you never made a dime. Remember the old CP/M library, my company and many of my programmrs provided countless programs to that, and in the shareware environment, one of my programmers was the all-time leading in downloads for Apple and Atari (and some other platforms I can't recall right now). If you go back far enough you may remember TEI which later became MAXICOM -- that way my company.

Strike one: virus scanner blew up - my take on that is you need a better virus scanner
    Strike two: I offered to help you
    Strike three: the boards (PCGS and NGC) are under DoS attack - so is the world economy - you want to accuse me of that also?

I agree with your conclusion but I respectfully suggest you think more than twice. For your own sake! I've offered you a very good program for free and I've told you I would respect your opinions and criticism and even pay attention to your whims. Yes, in the long run, I will (hopefully) gain from this exercise, but so will you.

Best regards
    Jan

<< <i>from my perspective, this is what I saw: you set off virus scanners, strike one. you offered to use remote control software to fix setup probs, strike two. then you start giving away rare coins to get more people to install, strike three. plus the boards (both PCGS and NGC) have been experiencing problems similar to what one would expect from a DoS attack. Put it all together, and I'd have to be a complete noob not to think twice. GL >>

• Cypher,

I don't feel that I am begging - I am offering a very good product free in exchange for critical comment and suggestions. That is normally called "beta" in programming circles, and is a very well established proceedure.

As to your questions relating to our source code, I would have to see the questions. I might answer them. I will, however, answer any question about our company and will even offer references.

The way your questions sound to me, Dear Cypher, is that you would prefer that I pay you to take the program. I might be willing to do that - see if you can convince me to do so.

Rgds
    Jan

<< <i>The way your coming off dingodog, makes it sound like your begging people to install this software. Now I'm not saying anything poor against you or your software. For all I know it's totally legit. But my questions is, if I were to send you some questions relating to the source code of your program, and a couple questions about your corp. would you answer them? Again I'm not bashing, just curious about a couple things... >>

• Greg,

Your logo does not engender warm thoughts - is it supposed to?

The version is COIN Inventory, and yes, it is being offered free as a beta. If you respond with criticism, suggestions, ideas on how to make it better, comments as to which feature is the most useful to you, or simply register it on-line, you will be thanked, if your ideas are really substantial, we may pay for them, but if you do any of the above you will be allowed to use the program plus updates in perpetutity. Yes, we want feedback, and the way we "pay" you for your efforts is with continued use of the program. As I say, if your ideas are substantial, we may pay you with money but the ideas would have to be really substantial.

This is a coin inventory program for collectors. It currently identifies 54,000+ unique U.S. coins (from 1616 - 2002) soon to be over 250,000 including attributes, varieties and errors. It provides pricing (updated bi-weekly after Jan 30, 2003) that relates to every entry. The program is a relational transactional database. There are too many features to mention here but the goal is to provide a complete "expert system" for coin collectors. There is a huge amount of data, and yes it is 83+ mb in size. If your web link is too slow we will mail a cd to you at our costs (see, we ARE paying you!). If you need it by mail email your mailing address to janrschwenk@attbi.com.

The program will only publish your qualifying coins to registries (PCGS, NGC, etc) if you want to and if your coins qualify. If you don't want to post your coins, don't.

Rgds
    Jan

<< <i>What is the version that you asked us to download in the registry set forum? The version that was 83 megs in size.

Was it a trial or beta version? What does it do?

I don't like the idea of it "publishing" my coins to registries. I'd prefer that people NOT know what I own. >>

• 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I downloaded the program first and then requested a disk. With the general size of this program a manual is required. I have been slowly working off and on through it for the past couple of days, and there are some oddities that must of had been put in there for a reason, I just have not worked my way through the whole program in order to figure them out. I also was questioning what data was being sent back and forth, so I blocked it until I knew exactly what it was. For me a simple web page with a few of the more general Q&A issues would expedite my understanding. I will be e-mailing a few notes to you soon Jan.

John
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • John,

If you've received the disc, there is a preliminary manual on it that will probably clear up most of your questions. Yes, everything is there for a reason. Your comments on what data was being sent is a good one! I will see if we can buffer the "sends" and let users "approve" of them before they are sent - to clear this up. Thanks for the idea!

There is actually a FAQ set up and everyone that has registered (so we know how to email them when we have something new, will be invited to participate if they like. Haven't got around to doing that yet - sorry.

The main stuff sent is notices to us when you get an error, or enter a coin of a grade we don't have a price for. In both cases you get a pop-up asking if you want to send the message. You can also go to "Notification" and make suggestions or ask questions of our programming team.

Rgds
    Jan

<< <i>I downloaded the program first and then requested a disk. With the general size of this program a manual is required. I have been slowly working off and on through it for the past couple of days, and there are some oddities that must of had been put in there for a reason, I just have not worked my way through the whole program in order to figure them out. I also was questioning what data was being sent back and forth, so I blocked it until I knew exactly what it was. For me a simple web page with a few of the more general Q&A issues would expedite my understanding. I will be e-mailing a few notes to you soon Jan.

John >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file