Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Goodbye David Hall

13»

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pat, Come on now man. I respect your opinion totally, but this Adrian fellow is a poppus ass to the 10th degree. Ive had it up to here (visual: the top of my head) w/ all the BS on this forum. Why the hell "support" some pompus ass who comes to the forums to degrade the members? Yeah, the guy has nice coins. So do TDN, EVP, Laura and MANY others, only they arnt asses. This guy comes here, creates some kinda BS, then hours later says he was just joking. Same thing w/ all that recent "hero worship" of David Hall... Jesus, people... Some of you are like lambs to the slaughter... Take the damn blinders off. >>

Sean and I have had a chance to PM back and forth a bit on this and I do see his point. I guess mine is let's not punish him too much for engaging in behavior we ALL have been guilty of.
    He's better at it than most of us, granted, but this alone is not a reason to blow him off.

Now, your comments regarding D. Hall are rock solid, 100% blazing, dead on. He's spoken, but let's not all treat him like Moses quite yet. When I see implimentation then I will applaud.

peacockcoins

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anaconda, I'm curious why you state that D. Hall is/was the "most influential man in coins in the last 50 years" as opposed to someone like a Q. David Bowers or a Harry Bass or a Walter Breen or someone of that calibre who has done so much extensive research and done so much to advance the hobby of numismatics and educate others,,,,,,as opposed to an individual like D. Hall who gives me the impression that everything he has "done" for numismatics was with the sole intent of lining his pockets ... >>

curious that despite the great handicap of not being able to take advantage of mr. halls stunning contributions to numismatics, folks like norweb, bass, eliasberg, garret, etc. were able to assemble some fairly decent collections, no? what has pcgs REALLY done for collectors?

<< <i>PCGS started the real grading revolution ...It used to be that you got 50 cents on the dollar ... Anyone that can double my value and the value of all other collectors is my guy. >>

it would be a privilege to see your research that supports this assertion

<< <i>Breen - he's no where on my list. He stated his opinions as facts, based them on thin information and held them with white knuckles. Your typical psuedo genius. More in love with looking good then being good. Ever see the photo of him in his red book on half cents? He loved himself more than anything in the world >>

curious as to whether you ever actually met breen & conversed w/ him (i did).

anaconda, breen was far from perfect, & frankly, he made many numismatic mistakes. i myself am not a huge fan of his. but i'd be curious as to how you would contrast the value of his "complete encycolpedia of us & colonial coins" w/ the pcgs "coin grading & counterfeit detection" book. barring the busines apsects of coins, please list titles of mr. hall's books that are more influential then breen's ceucc.

finally, to all, isn't it conceivable that being a little less judgemental all the way around would be a good thing?

K S
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Pardon me Pat, I haven't seen a post int the 8 months that I have been here, where someone has cruelly poked fun at someone's illness, I really resent you saying we ALL have been guilty of this behavior. You owe all of us an apology for that one. image I used to think anacondas post were interesting, but I can only feel sorry for him now. He is bore in the worst sense of the word. I wasn't going to post to this thread, but when you threw us all in there with him, I had no choice.
  • Options
    Well at least Adrian has succeeded in quelling the D Hall love fest, and turned this forum into an Adrian hate-fest. Personally, I'd take the latter over a board full of lemmings that bow down to worship a guy that only 48 hours ago was the source of all your "collecting" gripes and villified on the level of Satan.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW! I like coins. Have for 30 of my 43 years. Own some great coins. Anyone else? K
  • Options

"And save your flames - I got chunks of guys like you in my stool."

This is the level of numismatic sophistication one may expect from someone who posted two Peace
    dollars on Ebay describing them as "Two naked Chicks" and one who has a handle named after a
    large snake, although the ability to elicit laughter is there. Adrian; you are one of a kind.

Brian.
    (2455 certified PCGS and NGC coins and counting, 25% Mercury dimes)
  • Options
    COINS!!???

I thought this was the "Insult & Degrade Me Forum".
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
  • Options
    << Hey Sport, get your lips off of this!.... And we all quite sure you like it down there. >>

Please, DSLeezeFranklin, why don't you go and wash thatt little shriveled thing first....

LucyBop your awesome.....
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Instead of a Coin Forum, maybe we could produce greeting cards that insult, disgust and

otherwise outrage. Why we could become bigger then the Hallmark Card Company.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Bear,

I'm interested in your greeting card idea. Would one be able to "slab" these cards? Would they be graded on a 10 point scale or a 70 point scale?

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    <<<<<<<<<Do you know why there are guys that deal in moderns? It’s because they’re like cucumbers. Cheap and easy to grow. They also both are not very nourishing and give most people serious gas>>>>>>>>
    OUCH!! Man we need a lawyer, where's Wondercoin??
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Rella - The greeting cards would be graded on a 70 point scale for grossness and

destructive capability. Of course the really super toxic 70 cards would carry the

highes price.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    The correct saying is: "I s*it chunks of corn bigger than you in my stool".

Austin Powers, The Spy that Shagged Me
    It's the "hunt" that makes this such a great hobby...
  • Options
    This thread: image
  • Options
    Hey!

Just curious. I counted at least two people in this thread, maybe three, who seem to well, not like me. Which is cool. (At least AgentJim007 is back to liking me again. I can just sense things like that. I'd like to go camping with Jim. He seems like he knows how to have a good time.)

Why though, do the Mensa boys that detest me, click on the thread and come in here in the first place when they can see that I'm the one that posted it? (I can't remember the last time I went into a gay bar.)

Are they just all here to see me get another asp whoopin'? Or are they here because everyone likes a good fight, regardless of who wins? (Reminds me of tomato throwing in Europe.) Just curious.

By the way, not all my posts end up being fights. I posted a question about which Colonial is more desirable in an upcoming sale and essentially, it got ignored. Where the hell was Russ when you need him? Which is cool, Russ, you don't have to help a poor guy like me out when it comes to a real question about coins. (or should that be a question about real coins?? Which reminds me, I just bought a really cool R.I. Colonial in PCGS MS62. In brass. Very rare. And cheap.) I posted an image of a really cool IHC (cool use of abbreviations, eh?) and I got flamed. For posting some cool pictures!

So I say, what the heck, if it's controversy that gets your juices going, I can enjoy that. And if you can't or won't do it, well, give that keyboard to me. I don't succeed at everything, but I don't mind failing so long as I've tried. At least I'm not a lurker. (Yeah, I'm talkin' to you! Join and contribute something. But make sure you have a flame retardant suit. You may get called a few names, but you get used to it, and they're just words.). I'll probably have someone eventually neg me just because I'm not Mr. Glad Hands. I just don't want to be alone here in my law office where 25 people who fake an interest in coins won't leave me alone. Don't you ever get lonely?

Well, if it's an asp whoopin they're here for, maybe you saw that happen. (I ate ice cream and visited with a professor from the University of Texas at Arlington and shared my rare book collection with him while the asp whoopin' happened.)

By the way, for those of you who have criticized me for putting Anaconda in the thread titles, I'm looking forward to seeing you borrow some courage to confront David Hall about that. Has he posted a thread without his name in it? Hey, I know what we should do. Do any of you guys know Barney pretty well?.......

Finally, I'm not perfect. You've never heard me say that I am. I've never even called myself a numismatist. But I'm a pretty decent guy, and you would know that if you knew me, which you can't because you live over there and I live over here. If you would get to know me, and give me a chance, you, me and Jim could probably have a pretty good time camping.

Good night.

adrian
  • Options
    ANACONDA; Your ACG auction was certainly the funiest thing I have ever seen on Ebay. Hopefully it was also educational for some. I do prefer eduacted discussion over witty sarcasm or enlightened insults, but to each his/her own. Pleasant dreams!
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good night darling;turn out the light so the bug's dont biteimageimageimage.Al
  • Options
    Thanks, DRG. I'll try to segue into entertainment without sarcasm. How about a little light humor in "Post your annoying Collector Stories"?

adrian
  • Options
    Reading this thread has been too entertaining!!!

Way to stir things up Adrian!!!

People are so sensitive.

Like it or not, Adrian educates in a manner that is quite unorthodox yet highly effective. I have learned a lot from his auctions and threads. Some will say that I am kissing Adrian's posterior, but sorry I bend at the knees for no man; I am just stating the truth as I see it.

The animosity that some of the members of this board have against one another is outrageous. This forum is teaching me a lot, not only of coins but of human nature as well. Please don't stop being outrageous; this is better than TV any day.

Well, I'm going for my late night run.
    Good bye.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>this is better than TV any day. >>

Intrigue, suspense, drama........Nostalgia, this board has it all Daddy-o.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Guess the metamucil was lacking during the digestive process judging by the tone of this message post.Intrigue, suspense, drama........Nostalgia, this board has it all Daddy-o.

Yes I would agree with that. But my chatroom that I used to inhabit had death, terminal illness, financial problems, dating, chatter real life gatherings, divorces, etc. I wonder if I can get that big headed stalker who used to be in that room. Talk about a guy who was full of it and then some.
    Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
    For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?
  • Options
    What's the big deal? Adrian says a few things that are true and people whine about it? Come on -he can say what he wants and no one can say "you can't say that here".

Anyone can say just about anything. This forum is open and BARELY moderated.

SHUT UP and read and think more - EVERYONE! It'll do us ALL a lot of good imageimage

Which reminds me.....

I read somewhere that PCGS was, along with NGC and ANACS (dark room -behind closed doors) attempting to control the Coin market....anyone else read that? Something about all of the rare coins have already been catalogued and submitted and therefore the grading companies KNOW how many of each grade there are. Why do you think those CERT numbers are SOOO LONG???

Now - isn't his more interesting and subversive than "I'm right and YOU stink!" posts????

Come on people....get a grip
  • Options
    My3cents- Your voice, is a breath of fresh air, in

a fetid chamber of noxious fumes. Well done. Bear
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I lurk here more than I post. It is interesting to read the DH posts (smooch, smooch) and then read the Adrian posts (bash, bash) as an 'outsider'.

Adrian says a lot of things that I wouldn't expect and some of them have cut me a little to the quick but they do get me to thinking. I also see see some humor in them.

DH has basically said a lot of things I would expect. Interesting but not terribly enlightening.

Both get a lot of replies while some coin threads just die a quick death. It is an interesting juxtaposition but common on internet forums and in real life too.

I wouldn't throw either of them off the board. In fact, it might be a rather boring place if all we did was sit around and sing "I love you. You love me. We're a happy family..." Variety is the spice of life.

I don't have to agree with you because I like you.
    I don't have to disagree with you because I dislike you.
    I don't have to like you because I agree with you.
    I don't have to dislike you because I don't agree with you.

Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have to agree with you because I like you.
    I don't have to disagree with you because I dislike you.
    I don't have to like you because I agree with you.
    I don't have to dislike you because I don't agree with you.

I like that. I had a saying simular to that years ago but I can't remember exactly
    how it went.

I don't care what you think.
    I don't care what you think I think.
    I don't care what you think I think you think.
    And I'm sure as hell don't care what you think I think you think I think.

Well.....back then it made sense..........what was I thinking? image

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    "I don't care what you think.
    I don't care what you think I think.
    I don't care what you think I think you think.
    And I'm sure as hell don't care what you think I think you think I think."

I thought that was pretty good.

adrian
  • Options
    i cant think right now image
    TRADERBOBZBLOG
    An open mind will support transformation.
    Recognize life is full of change
    and celebrate the opportunity.
    "There is always a way to collect,Never surrender the hobby"
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that was pretty good.

I don't know Adrian, I may have been on drugs back then.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file