Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do the coins a dealer sells you determine....

....How he rates your collection or yourself personally? It has been a thought lately of mine that dealers that offer cleaned or overgraded coins to a customer in person (and not over the phone, internet, etc.) rates them low on the coin triangle. The dealers that give first chance on choice material to a collector rates the colletor higher or as a equal?

This is only an idea, but when one dealer offers a sub-par coin to a collector when he know the collector can grade does this show the dealer looks down upon the collector? I may not be making my question clear, but maybe others have ideas?

Cameron Kiefer

Comments

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    If a dealer thinks he can dump junk on you, that shows he doesn't think you can tell the difference.

The stuff my local dealer calls me about has been obscure stuff he knew I'd be interested in. I guess that shows he thinks I'm an obscure person. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Shiro - You may at times be obtuse or even omnipotent , but never ever obscure. Bearimage
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoops got sidetracked.

Perhaps it is just a communication thing. If dealers sold only choice, original problem free coins they would go broke. most coins are less than perfect, so a dealer sells everything. Now if you have explained that you don't like such coins, and you see that the dealer has them, but your never offered them, then you need to get your dealer a nice six pack of imported beer to help set his priorities straight !!image

It may be a bit obnoxious especially if he is asking top dollar. If he is discounting the price reflective of the condition then it doesn't sound so bad.

I love coin shops, visiting, perusing and talking to nice dealers is a blast. For my money however, if the coin doesn't sing to me then I pass PERIOD.

Tyler
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I agree with ARCO! image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    If a dealer that knew me offered me a harshly cleaned or (blatantly) overgraded coin I wouldn't be very happy about it. But rather than feel insulted, I would just assume he's not the dealer I thought he was. I don't expect to be catered to and I don't expect first crack at new inventory, but I don't want to waste my time (and his) having to wade through crap until I get a chance to see the quality items.

What is the "coin triangle"? I'm not familiar with that term.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Do you think anybody treats everybody equal? Why no!
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dealers I see have a spectrum of choice coins to those which bite you if you pick them up in their display cases. Dealers that know me will only present their nicer material. They know I don't want to look at the ugly stuff.

OTOH, if a dealer doesn't know you and you ask for a specific coin in a specific grade, he may show you the really ugly coin first just to try and unload it. These coins are usually sold between bluesheet & greysheet bid.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    >What is the "coin triangle"? I'm not familiar with that term

I bet he means the bottom of the coin pyramid. Like being a bottom feeder. image I know the feeling. I am getting smarter now about grading and seeing faults. I got my shipment in today with all the AU-55s and AU-58s (and two body bags). Now that I see them again (after a month) with all the stuff I've learned in the past month, I'm less indignant they came back as AU... But I don't have the budget to establish a good relationship with a dealer, so I'll probably be staying at the bottom of the pecking order for a while. image

Neil
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Shiro - You may at times be obtuse or even omnipotent , but never ever obscure. Bearimage >>

Naw, Shiroh's married with kids. He's not omnipotent.

peacockcoins

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this dealer employed by a larger coin dealership. This guy thinks he has a relationship with me, and feels comfortable enough to call me over to show me ``special'' coins.

I guess I should feel flattered, but I don't. None of the coins he's ever shown me has ever been top-notch. Some of them even down right suck. I am a little annoyed at the guy, but at first because I felt he may be trying to dump crap on me. But, a friend of mine told me that it is more likely that the guy simply doesn't know coins. So, now I'm annoyed that he's wasted my time looking at crap.

I don't really say ``Hi'' to him anymore, except when I get trapped and I have to. I don't look at any of his coins anymore. Either he's a jerk or clueless ... no matter. He's not for me, and thus neither are his coins.

So, in the end I don't much care how he may assess me. There are plenty of dealers around.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file