Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I WON YN BEST OF SHOW IN NEW YORK!

Hi everyone,
I just got back from the ANA show in New York. At the ANA Banquet I was awarded the Young Numismatist Best of Show for my exhibit, The David R. Cervin Ancient Coin Project. I had no idea that I even had a chance to win, this is my first time exhibiting ever.
I had a very nice time at the show, probaly the best things for me were the YN Programs. The YN Breakfast was fun, they have a YN auction were you can buy coins and books with YN $'s (money earned by doing numismatic activities throughout the year) I got about 10 books including World Paper Money, and a 1958 edition of Penny Whimsy. At the breakfast they also gave out YN Literary Awards, I won a second place award for an article I wrote about two months ago.
On the bourse it was hard for me to find brilliant FBL Franklin Halves, I was able to pick up 3 in 64FBL and 2 in 65FBL. It seemed to me like the show started out a little slow but it picked up on Thurday.

Best Wishes,
Steven Caywood

Comments

• Options
    Way to go Steven! I am happy for youimage! Link for ANA press releases including YN awards.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Congrats Steven, i really liked your exhibit even though im not a ancient fan. Im so glad you won, i could tell you put alot of hard work into it.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Steven, on a great accomplishment! Winning Best of Show for a first-time exhibitor is really something!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Way to go, Steven! That is very, very impressive. Look forward to your further contributions to the hobby.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    Thanks Guys,
    Cameron, congrats on YN of the Year Award.image
  • Options
    Sounds great!!
    Congrats Steven
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    Steven,

Turn on your private messager under "profile". I have a question for you.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    araara Posts: 130
    Way to go! Kudos and congratulations! image
    aka trozau (troy ounce gold)
    honi soit qui mal y pense
    gold - the barbarous relic!
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations!
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, I'm glad to hear that at lest one YN had a good time. All the YNs I saw appeared to be doing other peoples dog work, which didn't seem appropriate to me.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Way to go!! I just wished they had a middle aged man category LOL. Good job, I'm sure more good things are to come in the future (maybe you will pass Q.D. Bowers on published books....)

Rich
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice job........any pics of your exhibit? I was unable to get up there for the ANA.
    imageimage

• Options

<< <i>All the YNs I saw appeared to be doing other peoples dog work, which didn't seem appropriate to me >>

I am not disagreing with you (as I never was a page), but many YN's that I know make hundreds of dollars cleaning tables and dealer cases over a period of several days. That is a major source of income for YNs and they usually turn around and buy nice coins for their collection at the show that they would otherwise not have been able to buy.

I don't know if anybody has ever done this, but if you are looking for a particular coin - ask a page. He/she usually knows exactly what table one may be at (since they look while cleaning the cases). It worked once for me at the ANA Atlanta show and the page made $5.00, and I left with a PCGS Bust half for my type set.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. Good work.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    RLinnRLinn Posts: 596
    Steven,

Listen closly and I think you'll hear the entire forum cheering. Way to go!
    Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.
  • Options
    On the subject of paging at the ANA show, I paged for a couple hours and made around $30. Some of the YN's at the show worked around 5-6 hours a day and made around $500 at the show. For the most part I enjoyed paging, there were only a couple instances where I got a big order of food for a dealer and got little or no tip.

Cameron- I turned on my PM.

GaCoinNewbie- I'm getting the pics of my exhibit developed so I'll have em up on the board next week sometime.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    A huge round of applause for you, Young Numismatist! You have reason to be proud of yourself. And you have another 70 to 80 years left in the hobby. I bet that makes others just a bit envious.

Happy collecting.

imageimageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭
    Steven,

Congratulations; that is great! Also, good to buy some books with your YN dollars. Too many YNs with budget constraints (non-YNs too) go straight for the coins first. If there's another (current edition) book you want, I'd be happy to order one for you as my further congrats on your exhibiting and authoring accomplishments.

WH
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    steventheyn:

Just remember that David Bowers got his start as the "Boy Wonder of Numismatics" back in the early 1950's.

Congratulations to you!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Steve
    That is truely a great award.You should be very proud.Kudos!!!!
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    Congrats! always cool to see the younger members showing a vast interest in putting together winning collections and showing them at shows.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Great job Steventheyn!!!

Congratulations. I'm sure you're proud and you should be. Teaching others about your area of expertise is the best thing you can give to the hobby.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    Congratulations from your Canadian counterpart

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file