Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS and toned coins.

ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
How have you done sending in toned coins. Do dark coins usually get bagged? How about mint set toned coins? Do a lot of these get bagged for AT? Would you want to send still sealed in the mint package? I'm guessing they don't want to deal with it.
Larry

Comments

• supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    Older mint set toned coins have well-known toning characteristics and are generally fine.

You can cut coins out of modern mint sets so they're still sealed in the cello, then stick the cello square in a flip. I've done that in the past where I had something unusual and wanted to lend it credibility.

Dark and non-dramatic is probably fine.

But if it's unusual and pretty... be prepared to spend some dough. image
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    If I even suspect artificial toning I will not send it to PCGS. mike image
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see where the cello would add to credibility. I always wondered if the grader gets mad having to deal with it. I'll try a few and see. They killed me a year or so back on a bunch of early Lincoln cents. Too many years in a Dansco turned my red cents to RB. Stupid on my part. PCGS gave many of them Questionable Color/ Toning. ANACS graded the same coins as RB.
    Larry

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Questions regarding toning will never really be answered.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Questions regarding toning will never really be answered.

15 year old thread......That's about as deep anyone can dig isn't it?
    My few toners have done fine.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad there isn't a board award for necroposting, you would win it easily, Coinstartled.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well if the thread is old we can at least speak to current actions taken by PCGS.

This might help less experienced collectors save some money and grief.

In my experience natural looking multi color toning on silver gets graded. Toning with unusual progression patterns, spots, exceptionally dark or colors not normally found on toners blues, champagnes and pinks for example get the boot.

Any color on copper not from a mint set is automatically suspect. Indian head cents get crushed more than they don't.

Very old coins silver or copper that are bright are more suspect than those with some coloration however, these are rarely attractively colored.

The toning on American Eagles natural or suspect gets graded with very little resistance........go figure.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2017 1:04PM

If in doubt...don't.

...or if you are George S. Paton - “When in doubt, ATTACK!”
    http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/2854-when-in-doubt-attack

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

In today's climate it is a MUST to allow pcgs to grade all of your toned coins. Lay the debate to rest.

• TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

PCGS is now about as lax as I have ever seen on toned coins... NGC has stiffen quite a bit, to the point of I will not longer send modern toners to NGC anymore. They all go to PCGS.

Went 0-13 at NGC and 13-0 on the same coins at PCGS -- so that tells you something.

@TomB said:
    Too bad there isn't a board award for necroposting, you would win it easily, Coinstartled.

Appreciate the phantom award, Tomb. About all I ever won was participation trophies in bowling.

On a more serious note, what got me to searching old toning threads was an 1892-S Morgan graded as unc details questionable toning. Similar PCGS graded coins fetched about $15k, this one realized close to $20k.

Archival records show that in MS60 the coin is worth about $30,000 and significantly more in higher MS grades.

My point is, is the coin really a problem coin when the toning is questionable? Perhaps $20k was a bargain.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled.....Well... you could actually have gone back one more year in the archives. In February, 2001, the forum software was updated/changed.... and all old information/posts were lost...we all had to re-register.
    Cheers, RickO

Thank you Ricko....perhaps I will find some of your coin images there!!

;)

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldhair said:
    How have you done sending in toned coins. Do dark coins usually get bagged? How about mint set toned coins? Do a lot of these get bagged for AT? Would you want to send still sealed in the mint package? I'm guessing they don't want to deal with it.

1. Yes.
    2. Grading is supposed to be color blind.
      3 and 4. For maximum results, avoid removing mint toned coins from cello before grading to avoid ever getting AT. They can still come back with a problem, just not AT.
    3. "They" are charging you to "deal" with it.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

There is one. It's called the glicker merit badge

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Open Forum called. They want their Glicker back...

edited April 11, 2017 8:59AM

Sort of like that Twilight Zone episode with Donna Douglas.

Sigh.

• boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

We'll soon see how PCGS feels about these: all pulled from one OLD Whitman album.

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think PCGS will be thankful for the grading fees but you are not going to like the results. Even NT, some of those coins are not MS and worth little premium.

Purpleish blueish color tone brings big premiums at silent auctions. He'll be just find.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

What did Glicker get banned for anyways?

@david3142 said:
    I think PCGS will be thankful for the grading fees but you are not going to like the results. Even NT, some of those coins are not MS and worth little premium.

Were you replying to me?

They're all MS. These are older photos. They're much nicer in hand. The direct lighting approach I was going for at the time wasn't complimentary to these copper pieces.

Was he talking about why glicker got the boot?

@abcde12345 said:

I have no idea as he had no indication as to who he was referring his comment towards.

• jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boyernumismatics said:

@abcde12345 said:

I have no idea as he had no indication as to who he was referring his comment towards.

Pretty sure he was referring to your stream of middling Lincoln cents. Not sure why you feel any of them are deserving of certification.

edited April 11, 2017 10:15AM

@jerseycat101 said:

@boyernumismatics said:

@abcde12345 said:

Pretty sure he was referring to your stream of middling Lincoln cents. Not sure why you feel any of them are deserving of certification.

Ignorance is bliss.

I've pocketed $100+ per coin from similar cents. I just so happened to run across a lot of them and bought them all up. There are two or three that are higher end cents in there, grade wise.

I suppose you are also a proponent of the idea that PO01 coins also are not worth being graded/certified?

Here are two reasons why they are... mind they also have a few days left.

Just some food for thought..

Yep! Big bucks for worn out coins (that's alright). Don't grade pretty and toned cents? (not alright.)

@abcde12345 said:
    Yep! Big bucks for worn out coins (that's alright). Don't grade pretty and toned cents? (not alright.)

That seems to be his viewpoints. Unless I am mistaken.

edited April 11, 2017 10:24AM

@Boosibri said:

Booze....were you the guy on the United flight??

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@Boosibri said:

Booze....were you the guy on the United flight??

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. How did someone find this old thread? Those were some really fun times.

Larry

• TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

@jerseycat101 said:

@boyernumismatics said:

@abcde12345 said:

Toned Lincolns are getting much hotter. Im not a big fan of the coins with spots, but if he got them cheap he can certainly turn a profit after cert fees. This was the same attitude I got when I started collecting toned Peace $ and submitting them to NGC/PCGS. Dealers would laugh at me and say I should just dip off the toning and sell them as blast white cause thats what people want. Glad I didnt listen.... $30 coins are now $300 coins and $100 coins are now $500 coins.

@TonerGuy said:

@jerseycat101 said:

@boyernumismatics said:

@abcde12345 said:

Toned Lincolns are getting much hotter. Im not a big fan of the coins with spots, but if he got them cheap he can certainly turn a profit after cert fees. This was the same attitude I got when I started collecting toned Peace $ and submitting them to NGC/PCGS. Dealers would laugh at me and say I should just dip off the toning and sell them as blast white cause thats what people want. Glad I didnt listen.... $30 coins are now $300 coins and $100 coins are now $500 coins.

People make fun of (1936) toned cents but it is always better to get them graded and plastic protected with pcgs then it is to do nothing and hope for the best.
    Be proactive with your coins! Lesson learning for some.

• basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

@TonerGuy said:

@jerseycat101 said:

@boyernumismatics said:

@abcde12345 said:

People these days want certified toned coins more than they want blast white..blast white is boring...

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file