Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

We Know our Coins... don't we.

My apartment was broken into about five years ago and I had some commems stolen. Last night I am 99 percent sure I just bought one of them back in a teletrade auction.
Isn't it weird when a scan comes up, whether on eBay or someplace else and you know you used to own the coin. This has happened to me a couple of times.
I'm one of those hands-on coin owners who gets a lot of enjoyment out of looking at his coins. And I swear most of them I can recognize even it if it's just a matter of a little light toning, or some field chatter here and there. I'll bet it is the same for most of you.
I suppose if I kept them in a safe deposit box, I wouldn't have to be buying back coins I used to own. But I like looking at them too much. Live and learn.
Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a coin on Ebay right now that I sold earlier this year. Don't remember who bought it, but it is the same coin. You just look at the scan and instantly know you have seen it before.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are right. I have most of my better coins scanned and know them by their toning and where the little imperfections are. I am positive I could pick out my better 60 halves from anywhere. I have looked at them a hundred times each at least. The images are burned into my little brain!image

Tyler
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must be one of those early alzheimer patients, I'm not sure I can remember very many of my coins. It's possible if I was studying several today I might remember them tonight - then again that might be a stretch. It's a funny thing too as I will never forget a face, but I can't remember names to save my life - that can be pretty dam frustrating!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's said that John J. Pittman never forgot a coin. Even ones he didn't own
    he'd remember if he studied it. I don't remember too many.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, Lanlord! You must have a quite a massive hoard!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    Yep, there's certain coins I would recognise 40 years from now, even if I never seen them until then. I'm sure everyone on this board has at least a couple you will have a good visual for eternity.
    Mark
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

did smoeone say "old threads"? I miss this guy.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps we could suggest that threads older than a year or two can be locked...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Perhaps we could suggest that threads older than a year or two can be locked...

I have enjoyed reading some of the older threads that have been resurrected. That said, there are some threads that should be locked and have the key thrown away! ;)

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, old threads are extremely important. Some of them should be put on a separate forum BY OUR HOSTS to save the research. I believe one forum does this already. New folks join each week. Some are experienced and some are not. The information stored on all the different sites is remarkable.

As to this discussion. Many of us recognize our coins we no longer have. Many professional graders recognize resubmissions. Unfortunately, coins can be altered by chemicals as toning is added or removed. The best example I can think of is the 1870-S Half Dime. If that coin were not unique, I would guess there were two of them. One, the dark blue, semi-iridescent coin we authenticated in the 1970's when it was brought to DC and #2, the lighter version that exists today after much of its original color was removed!

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2018 5:57PM

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow... 2002?!! Now THAT's a blast from the past! That said.... I do remember some of the coins I've sold in the past, and have run across a couple of them recently... a certain 1835 Bust quarter springs to mind...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BlindedByEgo said:
    did smoeone say "old threads"? I miss this guy.

Me too

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2018 6:03PM

I don't mind, at all, when old threads are resurrected.

We get to revisit interesting old topics that many of us weren't here for the first time around, as well as long gone old friends. :'(

Educational and sentimental.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@ms70 said:

I'm tempted to go back to page #1470 of the archives and pull one up. I am constantly fooled by an old thread as I don't look at the dates!

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mind too much when old threads are resurrected, but I sure wish it were more obvious.

FWIW, how is this specific thread really "educational"? A person starts talking about a personal quirk - how they think they remember their owned coins to a very high degree. But, coins are mass-produced objects, intentionally produced to be almost exactly the same, and many persons might well disagree strongly with the validity of the OP's position statement. But then you figure out that you are disagreeing with a post from sixteen years ago. Big whoop.

Locked old threads might well be better.

• Options

I disagree. I'll bet you can recognize many of the coins you owned in the past. Some folks have a photographic memory. I will not give details but one of those folks realized that a number of his coins had been switched and contacted the TPGS. They were and someone was allowed to retire.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I don't mind too much when old threads are resurrected, but I sure wish it were more obvious.

It would be cool if there was a red bar across the top if it's more than 6 months old.

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

Put a flag on them when they are resurrected is not a bad idea, but condemning them to a cyber-eternity is not a good option. Too much good information in there that makes for an interesting read for those that missed it first time around. If we can save the whales, certainly we can save a few bits and bytes of data with educational value.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I am glad to see others seem to enjoy old threads also. Whether it is old threads or old people or antiques, we should respect aged nouns.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

My coin collection is about.........12 feet from where I sleep.
    Why the heck should you have to go to the bank to see your "children"?

• Options

Old thread but good topic.
    I use to have a SDB but in the end my "X" ended up with my FE/IHC collection.................

Good luck on your choice of whatever!

• Options

@Raybo said:
    I use to have a SDB but in the end my "X" ended up with my FE/IHC collection.................

What did she do with it?

• Options

@ms70 said:

@Raybo said:

What did she do with it?

Why do you ask?
    Have you seen her lately?

I really don't want to know ms70, she probably got cents on the dollar and that's what really Pee;s me off.
    I had a really nice set of AU-BU FE/IHC in a Dancso album that took me lots of years to put together.
    I look at the price guides once in a while, well, never mind!

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...anyone who didn’t immediately stop, scroll up and check the date of the OP after reading “teletrade auction” shouldn’t be allowed to post here...that’s all ;)

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that threads over a certain age should be locked. If someone wants to revive a conversation like this, it's easy enough to start a new thread and link to the old one, and even copy, paste, and quote text from it if necessary.

An alternative is that the system automatically posts a big "This thread is over a year old" message at the bottom of each thread after a year.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure I understand the benefit of locking an old thread, just because of its age.
    So what if the info is old?
    Do we really want to start making mods run around locking threads when they think it's run its course?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing hasn't changed: a thief is still a thief. .. after all these years.

I don't care how old a thread is, the point is made. Most remember what was theirs.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I see 'old' threads, I often remember them... While I do not always comment on them, I usually read them. Brings back memories of members gone - but not forgotten. Also, there is frequently some good information that can help new members/collectors. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited October 28, 2018 7:33AM

@messydesk said:
    I agree that threads over a certain age should be locked. If someone wants to revive a conversation like this, it's easy enough to start a new thread and link to the old one, and even copy, paste, and quote text from it if necessary.

An alternative is that the system automatically posts a big "This thread is over a year old" message at the bottom of each thread after a year.

Disagree!

Too much trouble to cut and paste. In my ideal world - say if my ONLY job was to moderate a coin forum (that would be so much fun and time-consuming that I cannot even think about it) - I would go into the archives and delete 50 - 70 % of the "worthless" comments in a thread to free up server space. And all that would be left was great info. Thus, your post and my disagreement would never be seen again when I eventually cleared out all the "fluff" written before this. :)

I agree it would be easier to color or mark threads over two years old but there would still be all the "fluff" in the discussions. I have an idea that our new moderator o:) will be making several more changes to make CU even better in the future.

Unfortunately, I shall miss many of the discussions that are now not allowed. For example, the discussion about the CSA Memorials and St. Mountain half opened my eyes to the way other members view things. These are the things that matter in the world. I'm afraid if I ever logged on to a forum discussing things that actually affect our lives, I would never post here again. :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file