Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG 1914-D Lincoln Cent REVEALED

124Spider124Spider Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 4, 2026 4:49PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Title says it all. I will post the grade on Saturday, after a few guesses have been logged.

Thanks for playing.


«1

Comments

  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That is an absolutely beautiful example!

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options

    AU53

  • Options
    safari_dudesafari_dude Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭

    50…😬

  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My guess is 50.

  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'll go 50 as well.

    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

    XF 45

    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211


  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 25,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

    50

    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

    45

  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

    53


    When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭✭

    45

  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'll say AU55... beautiful color...

    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

    Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RedRocketRedRocket Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Strong coin.
    AU50

  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It looks nice but hard to read the luster in that pic. I'm going with 55.

  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    45

    "Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working" Pablo Picasso

  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

    45

  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 18,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

    53


    DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

    CU #3245 B.N.A. #428


    Don
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Choice XF, a beauty.

  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

    50

    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 1 coin. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Tough room... I thought I was being conservative at AU55. My initial impression was 58 to low MS... am I missing something? I don't want to hijack the thread... and I know it's a different issue in the series... but here's my lone slabbed Lincoln Cent at XF45 CAC... I think there's more hair detail and less cheek wear on the OP's coin...

    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

    Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    RedRocketRedRocket Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

    When a photo isn't the easiest to grade from, collectors tend to lean conservative. No one wants to look foolish by overstating a grade. I think that is part of the reason I grade a bit lower than perhaps the coin in reality deserves.

  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @RedRocket said:
    When a photo isn't the easiest to grade from, collectors tend to lean conservative. No one wants to look foolish by overstating a grade. I think that is part of the reason I grade a bit lower than perhaps the coin in reality deserves.

    Yeah... have to agree that the images aren't the best and get fairly pixelated when enlarged....looking forward to the grade reveal...

    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

    Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 12,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2026 9:18AM

    @lkenefic said:
    Tough room... I thought I was being conservative at AU55. My initial impression was 58 to low MS... am I missing something?

    Depends on how you grade, the op coin shows no sign of luster. There is some glossiness from the lighting but no luster that I can discern from the photo. If you grade old school like I do then the absence of luster caps the grade at XF40 which is my personal grade for this coin. But this is in a newer prong holder so it was market graded; thus the grade depends on how much the graders think it should sell for not its technical grade. As such PCGS likely graded it much higher than I do.

    And that is not meant to be taken as putting the op's coin down, it looks like a very nice key date that most copper guys (including myself) would be happy to have.

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2026 9:32AM

    I thought I was a fairly strict grader (at least when it comes to Early Copper). I'm using the ANA Grading Standards book, and I'm hard pressed to see even slight contact marks on the OP's coin (one or two on the forehead, and a little dirt in the "D" on the reverse. I can't see any real wear on the cheek or tips of the wheat stalks... could be imaging... could be lighting as you suggest... I interpret the halo around the central design as subdued mint luster and a very handsome color... possibly AU55/8BN? Like I said in my earlier post, this one will be interesting...

    edited to add... and I don't see ANY contact marks in the fields... they look perfect

    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

    Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The picture is awfully blurry on my screen, but I could see it as a 50 to 55. Pressed to guess based on that image, I would guess low, even though I think it's probably a 55.


    “We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

    Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

    58 all the way.

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

    50.

  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

    45

    Mr_Spud

  • Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

    XF45

  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 10,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

    50.

  • Options
    hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

    AU58

    Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

    50

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    WiscKauWiscKau Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Image too dark to make an educated guess.

  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

    50+

    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    BigFrankieBigFrankie Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

    45

  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I am in the 50 wagon.

    WS

    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm at 58 on this one.

  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 11,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

    55

  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

    AU50

    Thanksgiving 2026 National Battlefield Coin Show November 27 & 28, 2026 at the Eisenhower Hotel Ballroom, Gettysburg, PA. No Early Bird passes for this show. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2026 1:13PM

    @mr1931S said:
    Choice XF, a beauty.

    Not AU because no mint luster is seen. The CAC bean was given because JA thought it might number grade higher (to PCGS XF45).

    Choice XF = XF40 CAC.

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @mr1931S said:

    @mr1931S said:
    Choice XF, a beauty.

    Not AU because no mint luster is seen. The CAC was given because JA thought it might number grade higher (to PCGS XF45).

    Choice XF = XF40 CAC.

    Unless you’re a mind reader, you have no idea whether “The CAC was given because JA thought it might number grade higher (to PCGS XF45).”

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭

    AU

  • Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Im going to guess AU53 would have been my guess..
    Really nice key date.
    If you paid XF money you did well. It has much higher eye appeal.

    Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo SurfinxHI greencopper RWW bigjpst bretsan MWallace logger7 JWP BruceS bigjpst
    JWP PROMETHIUS88

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Xf 45

  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:

    @mr1931S said:

    @mr1931S said:
    Choice XF, a beauty.

    Not AU because no mint luster is seen. The CAC was given because JA thought it might number grade higher (to PCGS XF45).

    Choice XF = XF40 CAC.

    Unless you’re a mind reader, you have no idea whether “The CAC was given because JA thought it might number grade higher (to PCGS XF45).”

    I just love it when I'm spot on with grading. If this piece were my coin, I would not resubmit it to try for PCGS XF 45. It's a choice XF at any of the major TPGs, green bean notwithstanding. Great piece. My own '14-D is a VF30 CAC. Choice VF, in other words. B)

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @mr1931S said:

    @MFeld said:

    @mr1931S said:

    @mr1931S said:
    Choice XF, a beauty.

    Not AU because no mint luster is seen. The CAC was given because JA thought it might number grade higher (to PCGS XF45).

    Choice XF = XF40 CAC.

    Unless you’re a mind reader, you have no idea whether “The CAC was given because JA thought it might number grade higher (to PCGS XF45).”

    I just love it when I'm spot on with grading. If this piece were my coin, I would not resubmit it to try for PCGS XF 45. It's a choice XF at any of the major TPGs, green bean notwithstanding. Great piece. My own '14-D is a VF30 CAC. Choice VF, in other words. B)

    I’m sure that everyone who reads your above reply is elated for you, or not. It had virtually nothing to do with my post that you quoted.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:

    @mr1931S said:

    @MFeld said:

    @mr1931S said:

    @mr1931S said:
    Choice XF, a beauty.

    Not AU because no mint luster is seen. The CAC was given because JA thought it might number grade higher (to PCGS XF45).

    Choice XF = XF40 CAC.

    Unless you’re a mind reader, you have no idea whether “The CAC was given because JA thought it might number grade higher (to PCGS XF45).”

    I just love it when I'm spot on with grading. If this piece were my coin, I would not resubmit it to try for PCGS XF 45. It's a choice XF at any of the major TPGs, green bean notwithstanding. Great piece. My own '14-D is a VF30 CAC. Choice VF, in other words. B)

    I’m sure that everyone who reads your above reply is elated for you, or not. It had virtually nothing to do with my post that you quoted.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file