Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this an O or a D?

So, I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I cracked out a straight-graded 1909-O from NGC and sent it to PCGS. It just arrived at PCGS and the Receiving Specialist sent me the following email: "unfortunately there is an issue we need to resolve before we can process your order. You listed line #1 as a 1909-O, however, we received a 1909-D."

I politely asked if they can get a second opinion. I'm not sure how their system works and if a grader adjudicated this already or if there is room for reconsideration. Clearly it's a big problem for me if my O is a D :#

What do you all think? I know the mintmark is very weak here, but the upper left seems to indicate O to me.

Comments

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It kinda looks like an O. Its hard to tell ? I dunno

  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That is a big pickle.

    I guess you had your reasons for cracking out a straight grade 1909-O half eagle that appears to be rather high grade and that might have a very weak mintmark, but that was gutsy. I wish you were able to supply better images, but we are where we are. My guess is that the central portion appears more like the interior of a D than it does of an O.

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The photos are a little dark, but I can see what PCGS said – from 1215 to about 3 o’clock it appears to be damaged. It’s not part of a smooth “O”,IMO.
    There’s also a possibility that someone tried to alter the D into an O

    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors for PCGS. A 50+ Year PNG Member.A full-time numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Always show the entire coin, not just the spot you think is interesting.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I suggest sending the coin back to NGC ,along with their grading label (and if you have one, a picture of the previously holdered coin).

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options

    @MFeld said:
    I suggest sending the coin back to NGC ,along with their grading label (and if you have one, a picture of the previously holdered coin).

    Luckily I hung on to the holder/label and it has the NGC PhotoVision so if they were inclined they can verify without a doubt it's the same coin

  • Options

    Does anyone know the PCGS mechanics here? Like I assume the Receiving Specialist makes the call here and not a grader? I asked for a grader to give a second opinion, not sure if that's possible. Obviously if a PCGS grader makes the call with the coin in-hand there is nothing more to say really. I assume (but don't know for sure) that the receivers are very skilled but not quite graders with all the grading apparatus.

  • Options

    @TomB said:
    That is a big pickle.

    I guess you had your reasons for cracking out a straight grade 1909-O half eagle that appears to be rather high grade and that might have a very weak mintmark, but that was gutsy. I wish you were able to supply better images, but we are where we are. My guess is that the central portion appears more like the interior of a D than it does of an O.

    Always good to get your heart pumping on a Tuesday! Yes, it's a 5-figure swing from an O to D here. So big pickle is right.

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @dval2929 said:

    @MFeld said:
    I suggest sending the coin back to NGC ,along with their grading label (and if you have one, a picture of the previously holdered coin).

    Luckily I hung on to the holder/label and it has the NGC PhotoVision so if they were inclined they can verify without a doubt it's the same coin

    Hopefully that will be enough to get the coin re-holdered, though their grading guarantee was voided when the coin was removed from the holder.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options

    @BillJones said:
    Always show the entire coin, not just the spot you think is interesting.


  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @dval2929 said:

    @BillJones said:
    Always show the entire coin, not just the spot you think is interesting.


    I don’t want to give you false hope but it looks like an O to me.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I agree with @MFeld that the NGC PhotoVision images appear to show a 1909-O and will add that these were the images that would have been better to look at from the beginning. Good luck!

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looking at CoinFacts the O mint appears to be much more open on the inside than the D.

    The OP coin would seem to be an altered D or a significantly damaged O.

    .
    .

    "To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

    With the complete photo of the reverse, as I enlarge it, I now tend to think there’s a good possibility. It’s just a damaged O and not a altered
    D.

    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors for PCGS. A 50+ Year PNG Member.A full-time numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022.
  • Options

    It almost looks hexagonal with the one side smudged out. That's a tough one even with the comparison images.

  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭✭

    It looks like other Os I've seen, but that mintmark is often disappointing when you want the one $5 Indian from New Orleans to really have a bold standout O.

  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2026 3:19PM

    I think a strong-O coin should have a significant premium to the typical weak-O.

    How many die pairs struck the 1909-O ?
    Perhaps there is a small die scratch somewhere that would confirm a D or O mint ?

    I once looked at a certified 1909-O (strong O) that had significant die polishing on the grooves around the tail feathers.

    .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file