Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

RIP Lance Hipps

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of you likely knew him if you attended major shows and maybe even some minor shows. He was 40 years old. Always liked Lance, it's a sad day.

Comments

  • Options

    Sorry to hear this, my condolences.

    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins since 2003.
  • Options
    RedRocketRedRocket Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think he worked with JJ Teaparty. A true loss.

  • Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I was friends with his father Ed for many years and watched Lance grow up and into the business. Lance always made sure to stop by my table just to catch up. Too soon - RIP.

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

    my condolences to all involved

  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Way too young to die.
    RIP

    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That’s terribly sad news. My condolences and prayers go out to his family and friends.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

    Condolences to family and loved ones.

  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Oh no. I recall well Lance as well as his father Ed. They were always very kind to me. This is terrible news. Condolences to his family and friends.

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This happened a couple nlghts ago. Sad time and condolences. Met Lance through others at a show many years ago. Friendship continued from then on. If I had not seen Lance for a little while he would greet with a quick hug and a smile. I should have kept in better contact between them but that is life. He was there to help out with his knowledge and opinion and an excellent grader. I occasionally got him worked up but not intentionally. Lance just had some passion and what I will call a 'stubborn bone'. I learned one thing early on, that you don't mess around with 'his' Texas Longhorns. I will remember the friendship, shows, dinners, nights on the town...... Rest easy buddy.

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=OwZlYz2V4AM Sophie Lloyd, guitar shred cover Paranoid (Black Sabbath)

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=fbEW8BrNctI Haley Reinhart, Don't Know How To Love You Live (direct to record)

    RLJ 1958 - 2023

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

    sorry to hear

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What terrible news that is! I bought coins from both Ed Hipps and Lance Hipps. Lance was very polite, a true gentleman. 40 is way too young! My deepest condolences to his family and many friends!

    An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

  • Options
    MEJ7070MEJ7070 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This is horrible. So sad to hear this. My heart goes out to his loved ones.

  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Agree, terrible news, especially at his young age. Ed and Lance were both true gentlemen and excellent dealers.
    I still have some of their standard issue 2x2 holders with the square holes that they always used.

    Successful BST transactions with 177 members. breakdown, scotty1419, mattniss, bigjpst, onlyroosies, Manorcourtman, guitarwes, Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2026 7:48PM

    Yes, that’s way too young to be checking out. Very sad news. Prayers for his family and friends.

    Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

    My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

    https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭

    Very sorry to hear this. I bought lots of coins from Lance back in my dealing days. He was a big runner back then, and it could be 90 degrees and 90% humidity in Baltimore and Lance would go on these long runs.

  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My condolences to friends and family...

    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

    Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This is one of their classic 2x2 holders that I referenced above.
    One of many coins that I purchased from Ed and Lance, later submitted to our host:

    Successful BST transactions with 177 members. breakdown, scotty1419, mattniss, bigjpst, onlyroosies, Manorcourtman, guitarwes, Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Damnit... too much man.

    RIP

  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭

    I am shocked beyond words. Like his late father Ed, Lance would pay a little more for coins that were "nice." I collect "nice" coins and Lance always had "first look" when I wished to sell. Few people got "second look" because Lance would usually buy all of mine at a fair price.

    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭

    This photo of Lance is still on the JJ Teaparty site.

    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file