Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Addressing the Updates!

pcgs_socialpcgs_social Posts: 161 admin
edited September 28, 2026 11:48AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi collectors,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback following our recent forum update. We understand these changes disrupted your daily experience, and we truly appreciate your patience as we work to get everything running smoothly again.

We have compiled your reports and escalated them to the Vanilla Support Team. Here is what I told them so far:
Critical Fixes
1. Report/Flag Button: Functionality is currently disabled.
2. Gear Menu: Button is unresponsive.
3. Post Editing: Members are currently unable to edit posts after publishing.
4. Header Navigation: Key top links (PCGS, PSA, Collectors Corner) are missing.

Usability & Layout Enhancements
1. Mark as Read: Feature is missing from the interface.
2. Sort & Filter: Sorting and filtering controls are non-functional.
3. Signature Formatting: Oversized signature text is impacting overall page readability.
4. Section Spacing: Forum group headers are positioned too close to divider lines.
5. Category List Layout: Text needs left-justification, inline post counts, and improved margin spacing.
6. I'm also just now finding out that creating a post is difficult because you are unable to scroll up or down in your own text box, lol.

Let us know in this thread if you have any other concerns, suggestions or flags. I'll pass this link along.

Thank you for helping us make the Collectors Forum the best it can be.

UPDATE (9/28/26 11:46am): The forum seems to have been restored to its older version, at least on my end. Thank you all for your patience as we worked with the forum host on their recent updates.

Isa (she/her)
PCGS Marketing

«1

Comments

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thank you.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Many thanks social

  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The left hand justification leaves lots of white open space center and right on a (my) pc
    Thank you

    "Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working" Pablo Picasso

  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pcgs_social said:

    • I'm also just now finding out that creating a post is difficult because you are unable to scroll up or down in your own text box, lol.

    If you click in the box where you type your message, you can move the cursor up or down in the box with the arrow keys.

  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thanks for the update. You have a lot of work to do. Lots of white unused space. Makes reading unpleasant.

    Also, maybe clean up the topic link area to the right. They used to be larger, bolder, uniform and orderly. Now they look like an after thought.

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

    files don't attach

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

    the gear icon doesn't work.
    true.
    whatever that circle with 3 dots inside doesn't work either

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

    no whitespace between the dark grey number and the forum name
    the numbers obviously don't fit the space provided. (why not put it on a separate line when necessary. I'd imagine "999.999M" would need to fit in the year 2047

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

    is this color really the color of Collectors, Inc ?

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thank you, Isa! The notifications drop-down doesn't work well. Many of the notifications that someone posted somewhere simply look like this:

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

    what happened to all the links to other Collectors, Inc properties?

    it had pcgs, psa, coinflation, more

    it was easy to select PCGS then Verify. now? i guess i'll be opening another tab and leave it on cert lookup?

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CapgunCapgun Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

    Appreciate your attention and quick response within 48 hours to everyone's concerns. Kudos to you & your team, great job! Now, can you stop the madness with 3 new posts a day on this same topic, lol

  • Options
    CapgunCapgun Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

    Sorry, 3 new threads

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

    it's on page 4, but it's hard to tell because there's not enough contrast between the numbers and the current page number. also, it looks like a grey background to the 4. but it's hard to tell because there's not enough contrast

    also the numbers are small, i'm on a laptop and they are small

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

    the avatar is too small

    I choose The Penny Lady because hers is text. If you can't read it, then it's too small

    PCGS is barely readable

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

    "Closed" still needs to be in red

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pcgs_social said:
    Hi collectors,

    Thank you for sharing your candid feedback following our recent forum update. We understand these changes disrupted your daily experience, and we truly appreciate your patience as we work to get everything running smoothly again.

    We have compiled your reports and escalated them to the Vanilla Support Team. Here is what I told them so far:
    **Critical Fixes **

    • Report/Flag Button: Functionality is currently disabled.
    • Gear Menu: Button is unresponsive.
    • Post Editing: Members are currently unable to edit posts after publishing.
    • Header Navigation: Key top links (PCGS, PSA, Collectors Corner) are missing.

    Usability & Layout Enhancements

    • Mark as Read: Feature is missing from the interface.
    • Sort & Filter: Sorting and filtering controls are non-functional.
    • Signature Formatting: Oversized signature text is impacting overall page readability.
    • Section Spacing: Forum group headers are positioned too close to divider lines.
    • Category List Layout: Text needs left-justification, inline post counts, and improved margin spacing.
    • I'm also just now finding out that creating a post is difficult because you are unable to scroll up or down in your own text box, lol.

    Let us know in this thread if you have any other concerns, suggestions or flags. I'll pass this link along.

    Why wasn't there any QA prior to deployment?

    Thank you for helping us make the Collectors Forum the best it can be.

    How about, just make it work like it used to?

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ProofCollection said:
    said:

    Hi collectors,

    Thank you for sharing your candid feedback following our recent forum update. We understand these changes disrupted your daily experience, and we truly appreciate your patience as we work to get everything running smoothly again.

    We have compiled your reports and escalated them to the Vanilla Support Team. Here is what I told them so far:
    **Critical Fixes **

    • Report/Flag Button: Functionality is currently disabled.
    • Gear Menu: Button is unresponsive.
    • Post Editing: Members are currently unable to edit posts after publishing.
    • Header Navigation: Key top links (PCGS, PSA, Collectors Corner) are missing.

    Usability & Layout Enhancements

    • Mark as Read: Feature is missing from the interface.
    • Sort & Filter: Sorting and filtering controls are non-functional.
    • Signature Formatting: Oversized signature text is impacting overall page readability.
    • Section Spacing: Forum group headers are positioned too close to divider lines.
    • Category List Layout: Text needs left-justification, inline post counts, and improved margin spacing.
    • I'm also just now finding out that creating a post is difficult because you are unable to scroll up or down in your own text box, lol.

    Let us know in this thread if you have any other concerns, suggestions or flags. I'll pass this link along.

    Why wasn't there any QA prior to deployment?

    Thank you for helping us make the Collectors Forum the best it can be.

    How about, just make it work like it used to?

    How about banning those users whose constant bickering brings down the mood, enjoyment and information exchange of the entire site?

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MsMorrisine said:

    >

    How about banning those users whose constant bickering brings down the mood, enjoyment and information exchange of the entire site?

    The ignore button still works.

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @messydesk said:

    @MsMorrisine said:

    >

    How about banning those users whose constant bickering brings down the mood, enjoyment and information exchange of the entire site?

    The ignore button still works.

    and make more than 5 ignores.

    Make it unlimited ignores! my list was already full before the bickering people started!

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

    max width across the entire page has lots of whitespace to the right and left, but not enough room in the middle to fit an entire thread title?

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The comment box is too small. I use the forum on a cell phone and I can't scroll up or down to check my work.

  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looking at the list of threads, it is no longer as easy to distinguish between read and non read threads. They are just a different shade of grey now. The previous version seemed to work well with just a glance. Now I have to really look at them.

  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jonathanb said:
    I am a professional software engineer. I have developed and delivered commercial software as as my day job for a very long time. A lot longer than I've been a member here, and I've been a member here for a long time. In short, "I have some experience with this subject".

    There are several reasons that a bug might affect users:

    • The company didn't know about that bug
    • The company didn't care about inflicting that bug on users
    • The company didn't understand that users would object to the new behavior

    I can't think of any other reasons. Can you?

    Those aren't necessarily as bad as they sound. I can't count how many times I shipped software and then found a bug only after people started complaining about it. Or how many times a bug was more serious than I realized. People make mistakes. Bugs happen.

    FWIW, we've experienced bugs here before. There have been other updates to this board in the past. Some of those updates also had bugs. I considered the bugs in earlier updates as "normal". Or at least normal-ish. I didn't love seeing the bugs, but I didn't post about them either. Credit to the company that they fixed those bugs and we didn't have to keep dwelling on them.

    The difference this time is the scope. The first post in this thread lists 10 bullets, all for major problems in major features. Other issues have been mentioned in later posts. I could add even more.

    The difference between what you describe and what we experienced is no QA. No testing. That indicates unstructured and improperly managed software development.

    This is far beyond "people make mistakes". Problems at this scale are a sign of a company in trouble. PCGS is obviously not a software company. My guess is that they think these bugs are normal. They might not realize how not-normal these bugs really are.

    You say PCGS is not a SW company but I would argue that they are. Dominoes is more of an IT company than they are about pizza, and the same applies to PCGS. Yes the product is grading services, but software drives every facet of the operation and the value that they bring from the submission platform to the price guides and pop reports to the registry sets. All software and data.

  • Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Realy ugly and unusable, cant see anything, why did you change something that was working? To alienate the long time users?

  • Options

    Why, why, why?

  • Options
    CapgunCapgun Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

    @jonathanb said:

    There are several reasons that a bug might affect users:

    • The company didn't know about that bug
    • The company didn't care about inflicting that bug on users
    • The company didn't understand that users would object to the new behavior

    I can't think of any other reasons. Can you?

    PCGS is obviously not a software company. My guess is that they think these bugs are normal.

    Are you referring to the "company" that provided the software, or the company that purchased it?

  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @derryb said:
    wouldn't the simplist fix be to return to what worked? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

    +1

    A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

    My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 9,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Sure hope the " Vanilla" team is taking notes and doesn't " fudge" things up further. Peace Roy

    BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken oih82w8, DCW

  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I clicked on BEST OF and only two columns were used, 60% of my screen was just blast white empty. Perhaps it looks better on a phone, but I usually visit the forum on my home computer and it doesn't translate too well. So much white on the new update, an award seems to be in order:

  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

    ...but not sure if Ricko would have approved this "white".

  • Options
    TrickleChargeTrickleCharge Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭

    Fix the auction date field in CoinFacts. It does not sort by ascending or descending order correctly when viewing all auction records for a coin.

  • Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I appreciate that you are updating the forum. Im sure that when everything is complete the site will be better than before. I appreciate the input of my fellow members.

    Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo SurfinxHI greencopper RWW bigjpst bretsan MWallace logger7 JWP BruceS bigjpst
    JWP PROMETHIUS88

  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I don't see a way to access our comments if I want to go back to a specific post. Also I don't see a link back to the home page from this forum page.

    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

    @BAJJERFAN said:
    I don't see a way to access our comments if I want to go back to a specific post. Also I don't see a link back to the home page from this forum page.

    If you click on your name/icon, then click on it again in the pop up box it will take you to your account with all past activity including posts. It took me awhile to figure this out.

  • Options

    @BAJJERFAN said:
    I don't see a way to access our comments if I want to go back to a specific post. Also I don't see a link back to the home page from this forum page.

    Sorry cannot edit my previous comment, but it does show you all previous comments that you can click on to go back and view thread/post/comments

  • Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭

    Curious as to what exactly was wrong with what we had before? Why did it need to be fixed? I don’t like this new forum package at all.

    Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, coinlieutenant, bigjpst, and joebb21.

  • Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭

    If this upgrade had a negative impact on revenue, you would have imminently gone back to the old software until the new software was functional. Give the users of this site the same respect as revenue generating users. Bring back the old software and announce a rollout schedule of the new software when it is functional.

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @slider23 said:
    If this upgrade had a negative impact on revenue, you would have imminently gone back to the old software until the new software was functional. Give the users of this site the same respect as revenue generating users. Bring back the old software and announce a rollout schedule of the new software when it is functional.

    There’s no way that they’d be able to tell so quickly whether there’s been a negative impact on revenue.
    And many of the users on this site are revenue-generating users.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @CoinPhysicist said:
    Curious as to what exactly was wrong with what we had before? Why did it need to be fixed? I don’t like this new forum package at all.

    Most likely it was end of support for the version they had been using forcing an upgrade and they weren't sufficiently prepared to migrate. Vanilla may have also changed feature sets available at different levels, although I'd find it hard to believe that PCGS wouldn't use the most full-featured enterprise-level software here. There could also be new differences between internally served and cloud-served versions of the forum software.

  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:

    @slider23 said:
    If this upgrade had a negative impact on revenue, you would have imminently gone back to the old software until the new software was functional. Give the users of this site the same respect as revenue generating users. Bring back the old software and announce a rollout schedule of the new software when it is functional.

    There’s no way that they’d be able to tell so quickly whether there’s been a negative impact on revenue.
    And many of the users on this site are revenue-generating users.

    And many of the users of this site probably haven’t submitted a coin in years.

  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @vintagebanks said:

    @BAJJERFAN said:
    I don't see a way to access our comments if I want to go back to a specific post. Also I don't see a link back to the home page from this forum page.

    If you click on your name/icon, then click on it again in the pop up box it will take you to your account with all past activity including posts. It took me awhile to figure this out.

    ok ty for that

    theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file