Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

[GTG]: 1927 Saint-Gaudens Gold Double Eagle *GRADE REVEALED*

P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 8, 2026 8:14AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Update: grade revealed in a comment

Common date double eagle in a PCGS holder.



Superb collections are built more by omission than by addition.

Comments

  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

    MS66. Lovely!

  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 9,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2026 12:02PM

    Probably MS64 cac. This date is about the best for aesthetic appeal of the series. I read the sun has to be clear and unhit for a real gem.

  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’ll go 65, thinking the mark on the sun may have held it back, and yes it’s a lovely coin!

    Successful BST transactions with 177 members. breakdown, scotty1419, mattniss, bigjpst, onlyroosies, Manorcourtman, guitarwes, Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Walkerguy21D said:
    I’ll go 65, thinking the mark on the sun may have held it back, and yes it’s a lovely coin!

    If the coin graded less than 66, it probably wasn’t because of the mark on the sun. While distracting, it’s not significant enough to preclude a grade of 66.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

    MS65

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:

    @Walkerguy21D said:
    I’ll go 65, thinking the mark on the sun may have held it back, and yes it’s a lovely coin!

    If the coin graded less than 66, it probably wasn’t because of the mark on the sun. While distracting, it’s not significant enough to preclude a grade of 66.

    Thanks Mark; actually I made that comment because of you, as I know you prefer it when posters include their rationale for their guesses.
    Perhaps I’m overly sensitive to marks on the sun, being a walker guy. But even in this case it’s on the reverse, I still found it a bit distracting.

    Successful BST transactions with 177 members. breakdown, scotty1419, mattniss, bigjpst, onlyroosies, Manorcourtman, guitarwes, Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Walkerguy21D said:

    @MFeld said:

    @Walkerguy21D said:
    I’ll go 65, thinking the mark on the sun may have held it back, and yes it’s a lovely coin!

    If the coin graded less than 66, it probably wasn’t because of the mark on the sun. While distracting, it’s not significant enough to preclude a grade of 66.

    Thanks Mark; actually I made that comment because of you, as I know you prefer it when posters include their rationale for their guesses.
    Perhaps I’m overly sensitive to marks on the sun, being a walker guy. But even in this case it’s on the reverse, I still found it a bit distracting.

    I appreciate your having included your rationale. And I agree that the mark distracting.
    One of the things I learned as a grader is that there are a lot of coins that I don’t like, even if they
    appear to be accurately graded.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

    MS65

  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

    65+ with a sticker.

    chopmarkedtradedollars.com

  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Too much going on around the high point of her leg
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

    64+

    Beaned

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ms 64+, nice coin

  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭✭

    65

  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

    MS66.

  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’m forced to change my guess to 63. The breast area is too flat for 64

  • Options
    CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

    MS65+

    “The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

    PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian
    Copperindian II
    Indy Eagles
    Gold Rush
    Bust Caps

    Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian
    Nickelodeon
    Early Walkers

    Successful transactions: Eagle Eye, redraider, winesteven, renomedphys, splitaces, oreville, ajaan, Cent1225, onlyroosies, justindan, blitzdude, DesertMoon, johnnyb, Heubschgold, SunshineRareCoins, ParadimeCoins, ndeagles, Southern_Knights, pcgsregistrycollector, BruceS

  • Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭✭✭

    MS-66

    I collect world proof sets, coins featuring composers, mid-20th century U.S. proof coins, U.S. type coins, and whatever else I want.

  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

    MS-64 CAC

  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

    MS65

    Investor
  • Options
    hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

    65 CAC

    Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2026 2:48PM

    @tradedollarnut said:
    I’m forced to change my guess to 63. The breast area is too flat for 64

    Although I wouldn’t grade the coin that low, I can certainly see your point.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

    MS65 on the basis of it looks way better than the 63 and the couple of 64's I've owned, lol -- nice luster, marks but small, non-violent ones, strike pretty good if not perfect.

    mirabela
  • Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GoobGoob Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2026 3:19PM

    That’s a beautiful Saint! I’ll guess MS66

    "Another day, another Collectors Universe forum scrolling session."
    - Someone, probably

  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 9,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Isn't the sun supposed to be virtually mark free for a gem grade?

  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 14,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2026 3:33PM

    My guess is athletes foot 65. A very pretty saint.

    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    mattnissmattniss Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice example! I'm in the MS65 camp, and it deserves a CAC sticker if it doesn't have one at that grade.

  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 10,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

    65.

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @logger7 said:
    Isn't the sun supposed to be virtually mark free for a gem grade?

    I’ve never heard of such a requirement.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

    PCGS graded it MS-65 not CAC. If PCGS graded it MS-64 or 64+ then CAC green stickered it.

    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

    MS64+ CAC approved

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @oreville said:
    PCGS graded it MS-65 not CAC. If PCGS graded it MS-64 or 64+ then CAC green stickered it.

    Your post and several others included reference to CAC, but the opening post didn’t even indicate that it was submitted their.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:

    @oreville said:
    PCGS graded it MS-65 not CAC. If PCGS graded it MS-64 or 64+ then CAC green stickered it.

    Your post and several others included reference to CAC, but the opening post didn’t even indicate that it was submitted there.

    Speaking for myself, I know the OP appreciates CAC's opinion on his coins. I think it's unlikely (but not impossible) that he bought a non-stickered coin and did not subsequently submit it for sticker review.

    I just added my opinion re the sticker for completeness and because it's fun to take a guess and test ones' skills.

    chopmarkedtradedollars.com

  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

    GRADE REVEAL

    This result may surprise everyone except tradedollarnutcase, who was the only one that guessed correctly.

    I will be sending her off to CAC for sticker review next month and will update the thread when she is back.


    Superb collections are built more by omission than by addition.

  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

    wow, surprise indeed, don't be surprised if you get a gold.

  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @marcmoish said:
    wow, surprise indeed, don't be surprised if you get a gold.

    And don’t be surprised if it doesn’t sticker. It’s a great looking coin, but JA is funny about high points

  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Regardless of the number on the holder, that looks like a very lustrous and attractive example, particularly assuming that you likely paid near melt.

    chopmarkedtradedollars.com

  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The piece is very attractive, but it has a very minor break in the mint frost at the highest points. I think that MS-63 is a fair grade, but it's not a "Gem Unc."

    Here is a 1927 double eagle, graded MS-65, with the coveted "green bean."

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mattnissmattniss Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Here's my 1927 DE, graded MS63 with green CAC, as another reference point.

  • Options
    safari_dudesafari_dude Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I was leaning towards 63/64 with the knee chatter. Good call TDN! Beautiful coin though!

  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not that it matters, I would have guessed 64 for the flatness in the chest and on the knees. And I would predict no bean at that grade as it technically has friction and CAC hates friction on MS graded coins.

  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I did not think Liberty’s breast flatness was as serious an issue that @tradedollarnut thought. I was thinking that it was more of a soft strike issue. As far as PCGS grade … it is an older PCGS slab which i and PCGS was more conservative back in the day.

    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just got the coin. In dim angled lighting, it has a pleasant green-gold skin that I wasn't expecting based on the GC photos (forgive the glare in the first set of photos; it was the only way to show it). Looks like nice originality, although gold isn't my specialty.

    There is a touch of light friction on Liberty's breast. I don't have enough experience with Saints to know if it's disqualifying, so this will be a good learning opportunity. I am trying to pick up a couple more to send in one sub.



    Superb collections are built more by omission than by addition.

  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BillJones - wonderful rich gold color on your coin.

    Higashiyama
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Beautiful coin - grade just doesn’t matter in this instance

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file