Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just how does one ‘find’ the top wheat cent in existence in the wheat series?

safari_dudesafari_dude Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2, 2026 2:33AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This cent is currently up for auction. Out of billions of cents made, how does one just find the best one in existence? I mean, seriously, how does this happen….and to the same collectors no less…….? 🤔
https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1745189/

Comments

  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Man, as soon as I saw this thread I thought ... I think there's already a consensus. Stewart's old 1919 in P69RD

    I guess that's still the case, at least in some peoples minds.


    “We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

    Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

    One of, if not the best Lincoln Cents I've ever seen.

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

    "Patience" is a word that goes with the above postings

  • Options
    safari_dudesafari_dude Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:
    If I recall correctly, Stewart Blay, who was an incredibly knowledgeable, particular and persistent collector, “found” that coin in a superb roll of 1919 cents and submitted at least some of the coins to PCGS.

    …….

    Hi Mark….as someone who has graded so many top coins do you think there is/was more MS69’s? What would be the reason that only one would exist and would there be any for other dates this good, or is this just due to the grader’s interpretation at the time? Thanks for the informative post! Cheers, karl

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2026 10:10AM

    @safari_dude said:

    @MFeld said:
    If I recall correctly, Stewart Blay, who was an incredibly knowledgeable, particular and persistent collector, “found” that coin in a superb roll of 1919 cents and submitted at least some of the coins to PCGS.

    …….

    Hi Mark….as someone who has graded so many top coins do you think there is/was more MS69’s? What would be the reason that only one would exist and would there be any for other dates this good, or is this just due to the grader’s interpretation at the time? Thanks for the informative post! Cheers, karl

    Karl, based on the huge number of uncirculated Lincoln cents in existence, it’s hard for me to imagine that others couldn’t grade MS69RD. But it would require that the right coins be submitted and that they receive accurate grades.

    It’s also important to remember that Mr. Blay stated that the subject coin graded MS68RD the first time around. So maybe there’s one or more other 68’s that upon resubmission, could grade MS69. That said, please don't my comments as a recommendation that everyone should resubmit all their MS68RD Lincoln cents. 😉

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @safari_dude said:
    This cent is currently up for auction. Out of billions of cents made, how does one just find the best one in existence? I mean, seriously, how does this happen….and to the same collectors no less…….? 🤔
    https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1745189/

    Must be those tiny flecks of something that keep this one from being called MS 70...

  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

    :D …….sometime ago someone posted on this forum the (insane) thought the Blay 69 was a counterfeit. I still laugh at that…. :D

  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Stewart was a pretty amazing character. Besides the 1919 roll story, he aggressively pursued the 1958 DDO and was very aggressive in buying the 1877 "Indian Princess", prices paid that seemed crazy at the time but cheap in retrospect.

    Gone but not forgotten: IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Ricko, Big Moose, Cardinal, CoinsAreFun.
  • Options
    emzeeemzee Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

    I am pretty sure that the roll of 1919 Lincolns that produced the ms69 example came from a Stacks auction circa 1990. In addition, complete BU rolls of several other early dates were available including a 1910 BU roll.

  • Options
    TallahasseeCoinClubTallahasseeCoinClub Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭

    I have never seen this coin in person, but have seen various photos through the years. It appears to me to be almost other-worldly in terms of quality for any pre-1920s wheat cent.

    Official PCGS account of:

    www.TallahasseeCoinClub.com

  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2026 7:39AM

    Wowsers! OGH. MS69RD and a CAC!

    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

    BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Great question! Blay had a great eye for quality. Having generous supply of financial resources also helps one seek out and find the best coins.

    The court jester does not play, but gently pulls the strings…

  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2026 12:04PM

    Three weeks left in this auction (has it really been open for bidding since March?).

    Will it close higher or lower than the $422k close (w/fees) in 2023?

  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 12,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Three weeks left in this auction (has it really been open for bidding since March?).

    Will it close higher or lower than the $422k close (w/fees) in 2023?

    I think it will hammer for a bit less, the froth over the Blay collection elevated all the selling prices for the coins in his collection.

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2026 6:09PM

    how does one just find the best one in existence? I mean, seriously, how does this happen….and to the same collectors no less…

    You work with a dealer like Andy Skarbalak who knows what a premium Lincoln should look like if you can afford to buy it.

    WS

    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coinbuf said:

    @P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Three weeks left in this auction (has it really been open for bidding since March?).

    Will it close higher or lower than the $422k close (w/fees) in 2023?

    I think it will hammer for a bit less, the froth over the Blay collection elevated all the selling prices for the coins in his collection.

    Just sold for a touch under $300k. Pretty big haircut from 2023.

  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 12,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @P0CKETCHANGE said:

    @coinbuf said:

    @P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Three weeks left in this auction (has it really been open for bidding since March?).

    Will it close higher or lower than the $422k close (w/fees) in 2023?

    I think it will hammer for a bit less, the froth over the Blay collection elevated all the selling prices for the coins in his collection.

    Just sold for a touch under $300k. Pretty big haircut from 2023.

    Ouch! That really underperformed, I thought 375K maybe 350K but did not expect that low.

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That coin will be bought and sold hundreds of times during ITS life. It will be here on August 31, 2317. None of us will, but that coin will.

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @World67 said:

    What happens to the value of this coin if it develops a carbon spot or two? No slab is completely air-tight.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 12,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:

    What happens to the value of this coin if it develops a carbon spot or two? No slab is completely air-tight.

    The value would drop; how much would depend on other factors. When I compare this GC photo to earlier photos I've saved of this coin the rev appears to have mellowed just a bit. Of course that is just comparing photos so it may just be the differences in the lighting/photography. Copper changes, and the more this coin gets passed around the better the chance for a negative change.

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:

    @World67 said:

    What happens to the value of this coin if it develops a carbon spot or two? No slab is completely air-tight.

    It looks like it already had, though granted, they are tiny.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    safari_dudesafari_dude Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:
    ……

    It looks like it already had, though granted, they are tiny.

    Mark…is there any way to 100% protect it? Would be a shame to see this amazing coin lose its luster!

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @safari_dude said:

    @MFeld said:
    ……

    It looks like it already had, though granted, they are tiny.

    Mark…is there any way to 100% protect it? Would be a shame to see this amazing coin lose its luster!

    I’m not aware of a way to protect a coin to that extent.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    USSID18USSID18 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2026 3:42PM

    Maybe it's already lost it's luster. Someone's records need to be updated. 🤣

  • Options
    Coins3675Coins3675 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭

    That is such a beautiful coin in the photos, I cant imagine how nice it is in person

    Successful Transactions With: JWP, DBSTrader2, greencopper, bretsan, ajaan, Ted1, Desert Coin, olah_in_MA

  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:

    @safari_dude said:

    @MFeld said:
    ……

    It looks like it already had, though granted, they are tiny.

    Mark…is there any way to 100% protect it? Would be a shame to see this amazing coin lose its luster!

    I’m not aware of a way to protect a coin to that extent.

    I’d say that inventor/scientist who packaged up his red copper that lasted several centuries might disagree

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @tradedollarnut said:

    @MFeld said:

    @safari_dude said:

    @MFeld said:
    ……

    It looks like it already had, though granted, they are tiny.

    Mark…is there any way to 100% protect it? Would be a shame to see this amazing coin lose its luster!

    I’m not aware of a way to protect a coin to that extent.

    I’d say that inventor/scientist who packaged up his red copper that lasted several centuries might disagree

    He might disagree that “I’m not aware of a way to protect a coin to that extent”? 😉
    Was he able to view his red copper after he packaged it up?

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

    He was not but his technique would be sound and viewable with today’s technology. Encase this slab in a clear vacuum container along with a sacrificial anode and nothing will get through to that coin.

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @tradedollarnut said:
    He was not but his technique would be sound and viewable with today’s technology. Encase this slab in a clear vacuum container along with a sacrificial anode and nothing will get through to that coin.

    Do you think there are a lot of collectors of valuable copper coins who would be interested in that? And how practical would it be?
    Those aren’t rhetorical questions, as I don’t know nearly enough to have an opinion about it.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @safari_dude said:
    This cent is currently up for auction. Out of billions of cents made, how does one just find the best one in existence? I mean, seriously, how does this happen….and to the same collectors no less…….? 🤔
    https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1745189/

    Designate of "the best in existence" is an award, can never be a find.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file