Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bid board biddings...

This topic is for the old timers on the board. In this age of high tech, does anyone missed going to your local coin shops and mingle with other collectors and compete for the coins you really want, and winning a door prize? I for one have missed those good old days. Are there any of those old coins shops around? I remember winning an SVDB Lincoln in Fine for something like $135 which was a lot of money for a kid in the 60s.

Comments

• Options
    There are two of them here in Salt Lake City (used to be three, the owner of the third one just recently passed away). I still check out the bid board on one of them every week. I've picked up some killer deals on there. The door prize (one given away every week) is always a Silver Eagle. I've won twice. Heh.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Used to be a bid board here in Longview Texas. It went away after the nicest old man who ran the shop passed away. I learned a lot from that gentleman and miss him.

There hasn't been a coin shop around since his death and I really do miss him and going by his shop every Saturday morning before the bids closed looking for a bargin.

-----------

etexmike
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    I still go to 4 of them. They are all within 40 miles of me (Los Angeles).
  • Options
    gm...do you mind sharing the names and cities of the 4 coins shops that have bid boards?
  • Options
    I have visited two coin shops this summer that had bid boards. One is in Charleston, WV. (Kanawa Coins) and the other is in Fredrick, MD.(don't remember the name...stated with a "B".

Gary
    Gary
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    I miss doing that. Are there any in San Diego, CA?
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    If you don't mind, What is a Bid Board?
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    bikingnut, there is one in Escondido. Escondido coin. The owners seem real disinterested with the hobby, so don't go looking for chatter. They close it on fridays when the cruising on grand is also going on outside with tons of classic cars. It's a good time with dinner at the little mexican joint next door.

Sean
  • Options
    I remember my early days of collecting as a youngster and going to the Midas Coin bid board nights in Annadale, VA. That was fun! In the 80's I used to sell tons of coins at the Miracle Mile coin shop in Hawthorne, CA (it was a shop opened in conjunction with their store in LA). They would have a door prize each week, and if it wasn't won they would carry it over to the next week. Once it wasn't won for about 2 months and they had a whole display case full of coins that had accumulated. That week I bid on dozens of cheap $1.00 coins to increase my chances of winning and my coin # was drawn! Boy was I happy! Later, when I opened a shop here in WV, I created my own bid board (over 500 lots a week). It drew crowds of collectors into the shop every Tues. night. Although most lots at that time were baseball cards, I made sure a portion of the board was devoted entirely to coins. Ebay is now my electronic bid board. Although it is more profitable, I still miss the social interaction of the bid board nights. I'm glad they haven't entirely faded away.
    My website: WWW.telecoin.bizland.com
  • Options
    In the 80's I used to sell tons of coins at the Miracle Mile coin shop in Hawthorne, CA (it was a shop opened in conjunction with their store in LA).

I used to go to that shop. I started going there right when I got into coin collecting. They were always very nice to me. Wayne was very helpful and willing to talk. His mom and dad were also very nice. I remember Wayne and his brothers use to run the place.

For a while after they closed that shop they used to hold coin club meetings at a restaurant around LAX. We used to have prime rib dinner and chat about coins. It was a lot of fun.

I don't know when they closed their Miracle Mile coin shop. I think they moved it closer to their home. I still see Wayne and his brother at the Long Beach show.
  • Options
    Wow, the name Hawthorne brings back memories, remember Coin-a-Rama-City on I believe every Wednesday night where local and vest pocket dealers gather for what then was a "coin show" to "chew the fat" and conduct some deals? Those were fun days.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you don't mind, What is a Bid Board? >>

kingmatt,

A bid board is for collectors to sell their coins. Usually an entire wall setup for the purpose. Each coin (or group of coins) is attached to a card with the minimum bid, then those interested place bids starting at the top. At the close, usually around 3 PM on a Friday or Saturday, the last (highest bid) gets the coin.

When I was in to stamps some 20 years ago, I practically lived at a couple boards.image

There is actually one coin shop in my area that has a bid board, as well as a BIN board.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Yeah, Coin-O-Rama was the name of the shop. I would sell hundreds of lots each week. I used to use bright colored pens and put color dot stickers on my lots to keep track of my coins. Wayne and his brothers were great to deal with. I usually run into them at the Long Beach shows, too.
  • Options
    telecoin...I think I still have some of your coins with orange and red dots on the 2X2s. I've often wondered what they meant (your cost?), and then there was BLACKHORSE, the code that dealers used for what they paid for the coin.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Many of my best buys have been off of bidboards. Some really unsual coins show up at times, and oftentimes I'm the only one bidding on them.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Wow...I'm surprised you still have them. I used the color dots to keep track of each weeks auctions. They also helped Wayne with sorting.
  • Options
    shiro...sounds like a fun and inexpensive way of adding to your collection.
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    TWQG,

Do you know what day and time the bid board closes in Escondido? I'll check them out. I used to go to the one at Clairmont coins every week. I got a 1864 2 cent piece that probably grades AU50 for almost nothing when that bid board was active. The interesting thing about the coin is that the reverse is rotated 175 to 180 degrees.

Dennis
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    Some really unsual coins show up at times, and oftentimes I'm the only one bidding on them.

That ought to tell you something about what you collect. image
  • Options
    OUCH! My thin skin cannot stand your attacks!

Stop picking on me! Why is it every time I come to this forum someone has to attack me for collecting pre-Confederation Canadian bank tokens? Why can't you leave me alone? I know-- you're all jealous! image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    shiro, is confession good for the soul image
  • Options
    Pre-Confederation Canadian bank tokens? I thought you collected post-Confederation Canadian bank tokens? I thought you were one of those "modern" collectors. image
  • Options
    Nope, anything made after 1867 is worthless modern garbage. All coins I find in change were made after 1867, therefore they aren't worth collecting. image

Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    I always thought the only coins worth collecting are those minted between the Lincoln and FDR administrations. image
    Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
    For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?
  • Options
    Shiroh, is that a cross burning? And 1867? I can't believe you're still upset about the "War of Northern Aggression" as you put it.
  • Options
    Good Morning,

I can give you the name of at least 4 shops aroung LA that have bid boards.
    Coin Depot in La Verne, their board closes Saturdays at 5:00PM.
    Another is the Coin Buyer in Montclair on Central Ave, his board closes Tuesday evenings, then there is Michelle's Coins in Buena Park and her board closes Thursday evenings at 7:00PM.
    There is Van Buren Coin in the Riverside area.
    Then there is mine. About Rare Coins in Chino. My shop is new and I'm looking for new bidders and hangers. The board can accomodate up to 1000 lots. The registration fee is waived during the month of August. I am freeway close, probably the easiest shop to get to.
    I am located 1/4 mile South of the 60 fwy on Central Ave on the west side facing the street.
    My board closes Sundays at 4:00PM.
    I believe there is a rennisance taking place, where people actually like to go and meet face to face on a regular basis with people of similar interests and buy, talk and trade coins. And the Bid Board provides this venue.
    Come buy for a visit!
    We have one board closing today at 4:00 and another starting at about 4:30.

About Rare Coins
    Mike

About Rare Coins
    12562-B Central Ave
    Chino, CA 91710
    mike@gemcoins.net
    www.gemcoins.net
  • Options
    ttt
    Mike

About Rare Coins
    12562-B Central Ave
    Chino, CA 91710
    mike@gemcoins.net
    www.gemcoins.net
  • Options
    PNS Coins in Lancaster Calif. Has a good sized Bid-board. Maybe 100 items on it presently.
  • Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    When I was working in Tucson AZ there were at least 5 shops with bid boards. I worked there 10 months and loved every minute of it. One ended on Friday night at 07:00PM and the four others early Saturday morning. I was great fun. That is wehre I pucked up my best cherry an 1928-D Lincoln cent in MS63 for $26. It was an RPM#1 that I had graded at ANACS and sold for $700. I also picked numerous RPM's and few double dies from those boards.
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Mid-Valley coins in Canoga Park (LA) also has a bid board that closes at 8pm on Fridays.

Too bad most of the shops are south of LA as I live to the north.image
  • Options

<< <i>In the 80's I used to sell tons of coins at the Miracle Mile coin shop in Hawthorne, CA (it was a shop opened in conjunction with their store in LA).

I used to go to that shop. I started going there right when I got into coin collecting. They were always very nice to me. Wayne was very helpful and willing to talk. His mom and dad were also very nice. I remember Wayne and his brothers use to run the place.

For a while after they closed that shop they used to hold coin club meetings at a restaurant around LAX. We used to have prime rib dinner and chat about coins. It was a lot of fun.

I don't know when they closed their Miracle Mile coin shop. I think they moved it closer to their home. I still see Wayne and his brother at the Long Beach show.

Yeah, Coin-O-Rama was the name of the shop. I would sell hundreds of lots each week. I used to use bright colored pens and put color dot stickers on my lots to keep track of my coins. Wayne and his brothers were great to deal with. I usually run into them at the Long Beach shows, too.

>>

The 'ol man at Miracle Mile was Clem, a decent fellow. The main shop was on Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles. He passed away years ago. His son is an active dealer who is always at Long Beach show.

Coin-A-Rama City in Hawthorne brings back many memories. It was sort of a swap meet on Wednesday nights. Folks like Joel Rettew would set up for the night. Not all good memories however. The "gold man" who would walk through sold me a fake $10 Indian.
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

ttt

• Options

There is a shop in Worcester Mass that still runs a bid board. I was there on a Saturday a few weeks back when the board was ending, and it was quite the crowd.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

This (ancient) thread has 4 banned users posting in it. Not counting threads that resulted in mass bannings, I wonder what the record number of banned users is for an extant thread?

Mark

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still visit our local B&M shop which has a weekly auction board !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2018 3:39PM

This was in the mid 1980s, and yes, all of these coins have gone up quite a bit. The week after I bought the 1796 Quarter, a leading dealer offered me a $500 profit.

The 1804 dime, which sold for $6,300, now lists on the Gray Sheet at $55,000 in AU-50.

Of course ANACS papers were the only grading service at that time, so there were no professional graders there to hold your hand. You had take the shop's grade on the coin or grade it yourself. Everything was raw.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://scvhistory.com/scvhistory/signal/coins/sg012707-coins.htm

A Coin Tradition: The Bid Board by Sol Taylor

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1peter1223 said:
    WOW , A LOT of BANNED posters in this thread .

The thread is 16 years old.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bid walls were the "local eBays" of yesteryear with a bit more monitoring from the governing body.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was once a bid and buy it now board in Oxnard/Ventura California named Ketts Koin Kastle. It was where I first started buying nickels about 10-11 years ago.
    The guy working the counter would always discount the prices for me, I never asked for this, I would just pick out 6-10 or more coins and with his addition I could pick more and more! I must have been their only nickel guy. I never bid on the board back then, I was too new and fresh to the hobby to understand it.
    It finally closed about 2 years ago. I was there the very last day they were open, before a Super Bowl. I kinda figured they would close as construction was demolishing the entire Wagon Wheel historic area. They said they were moving locations but he died that night.
    That will always be my favorite shop, even with a light inventory

I crack slabs at times without hesitation, but I cannot bring myself to open any of the many flips I still have from there. The nostalgia of the beginning... :'(
    but it is a fond memory, and the only bid board I ever saw.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Bid walls were the "local eBays" of yesteryear with a bit more monitoring from the governing body.

And mail bid was the "long-distance eBay." One of my favorite dealers I visited as a kid (8-12 years old) had 50 cent grab bags. He would usually help you out as to which one to pick. That was how I got my first 3-cent nickel.

thefinn
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    This was in the mid 1980s, and yes, all of these coins have gone up quite a bit. The week after I bought the 1796 Quarter, a leading dealer offered me a $500 profit.

The 1804 dime, which sold for $6,300, now lists on the Gray Sheet at $55,000 in AU-50.

Of course ANACS papers were the only grading service at that time, so there were no professional graders there to hold your hand. You had take the shop's grade on the coin or grade it yourself. Everything was raw.

Wow, that dime showed a heck of a profit over time!

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    There was once a bid and buy it now board in Oxnard/Ventura California named Ketts Koin Kastle. It was where I first started buying nickels about 10-11 years ago.
    The guy working the counter would always discount the prices for me, I never asked for this, I would just pick out 6-10 or more coins and with his addition I could pick more and more! I must have been their only nickel guy. I never bid on the board back then, I was too new and fresh to the hobby to understand it.
    It finally closed about 2 years ago. I was there the very last day they were open, before a Super Bowl. I kinda figured they would close as construction was demolishing the entire Wagon Wheel historic area. They said they were moving locations but he died that night.
    That will always be my favorite shop, even with a light inventory

I crack slabs at times without hesitation, but I cannot bring myself to open any of the many flips I still have from there. The nostalgia of the beginning... :'(
    but it is a fond memory, and the only bid board I ever saw.

OMG!!! What a small world. My father was a career Naval Officer and we lived all over the world. In 1975-76 we were stationed at Port Hueneme. I would mow the yard and wash the cars for .75 cents a week allowance but my BIG operation was collecting aluminum cans. I would ride my bike all over base and dumpster dive and collect cans and bring them hme when my bag was full and go out again. When I had 30 pounds or so my dad would drive me down to the recycling company and I would get some cash and then we would rive over to Ketts Koin Kastle where I would buy stamps for my collection. I bought my first REALLY expensive stamp (a whopping $1.75) off of their bid board.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I lived in Renton, WA, the coin shop there had a bid board...and it was very active...I did get a couple of Morgans there... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

We had a couple of bid boards near where I used to live in the late 1960's and once in awhile a fight would break out when bidding ended and someone would hog the position in front of a particularly desirable coin to keep someone else from bidding against him. :o:D Anyone ever see this?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, this thread is almost as old as bid boards, but lemme remind you that in the days of bid boards, BU Morgans were THREE DOLLARS and FIVE DOLLARS for...prooflike.

But those expensive $20 goldpieces were an astronomical $40, too.
    Talking 1971. :)

• Options

@topstuf said:
    Well, this thread is almost as old as bid boards, but lemme remind you that in the days of bid boards, BU Morgans were THREE DOLLARS and FIVE DOLLARS for...prooflike.

But those expensive $20 goldpieces were an astronomical $40, too.
    Talking 1971. :)

I remember a guy coming to the local coin shop buying a double eagle weekly for $45 each.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad someone resurrected this old thread, I wasn't a member when it died.

I never won much on bid boards but there was a dealer in Atlanta that had weekly auctions in the late 70s. I still have a few of the coins I bought back then.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

@tommy44 said:
    Glad someone resurrected this old thread, I wasn't a member when it died.

I never won much on bid boards but there was a dealer in Atlanta that had weekly auctions in the late 70s. I still have a few of the coins I bought back then.

B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file