Home U.S. Coin Forum

Pawn Stars and the 1933 Farouk Double Eagle

2»

Comments

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin really needed a sticker? LMAO.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2024 2:59PM

@ms70 said:

There are collectors on here who claim they wouldn't buy such a coin without one. (Added) Because God forbid it is a "C" MS65.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

@ms70 said:

There are collectors on here who claim they wouldn't buy such a coin without one.

Hilarious, but true. That little green bean probably adds an additional $10 million. 🤣

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least they did not ask if they could do a test cut on the edge like some real life pawn shops used to do with gold coins!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

$30M sounds about right to me. Pawn Star's Rick Harrison offers $25M without hearing first, from the would be seller how much he wants for the piece? That's entertainment TV for you. Make it up as you go along into a kind of fantasy world, a Las Vegas pawn shop where anything can show up that someone wants to sell.

Anyway, the seller is not asking too much at $30M for the only legal to own 1933 dated double eagle.Opinion.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• JCH22JCH22 Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

FDR meeting with Farouk a few months after export license was issued-mistakenly, (Churchill met with Farouk off camera) Sure was a timely and fortunate accident, especially given the then geopolitical considerations ...

(Both appear together in the opening minute)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jssvM9fqufY

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

@Crepidodera said:
    Totally staged, Rick would never pay 25 million for the coin.

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:
    Does Rick have 25 million dollars?

I stand to be corrected, but it was my understanding with regard to ultra expensive coins that Pawn Stars would already have a buyer in place for the coin so in effect the show would be acting as an intermediary.

Interesting.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

@ProofCollection said:

@ms70 said:

There are collectors on here who claim they wouldn't buy such a coin without one.

Hilarious, but true. That little green bean probably adds an additional $10 million. 🤣

It’s worth mentioning that CAC has still not stickered an 1804 dollar. Rarity doesn’t guarantee a sticker so knowing that JA believed your coin is not messed with as well as accurately graded is worth some money, though probably not $10 million!

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EliteCollection said:
    Everything is for sale at a certain price. I won't consider selling it for under $30M at this time, but I would have to really think hard if I did get an offer over $30M.

That maximum rate of 28% on long-term capital gains might take the fun out of selling it.

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@EliteCollection said:
    Everything is for sale at a certain price. I won't consider selling it for under $30M at this time, but I would have to really think hard if I did get an offer over $30M.

That maximum rate of 28% on long-term capital gains might take the fun out of selling it.

Plus California state tax which is onerous (I think Elite is in CA?).

• GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2024 10:07PM

@EliteCollection said:
    Everything is for sale at a certain price. I won't consider selling it for under $30M at this time, but I would have to >really think hard if I did get an offer over $30M.

Would you accept a 2033 postdated, 3rd-party endorsed, out-of-state check ? :)

edited September 26, 2024 10:11PM

@EliteCollection said:
    Everything is for sale at a certain price. I won't consider selling it for under $30M at this time, but I would have to >really think hard if I did get an offer over $30M.

On a more serious note....I had to do an analysis years ago for a private bank I worked for on the returns from tangible assets (i.e., PM's, gold, coins, timber, art, etc.). At the time and based on updated select figures that are more recent, I found that it was tough for any non-interest, non-dividend paying asset class to match stocks (and sometimes even bonds) because you had to rely 100% on capital gains.

Unless you were lucky with your timing -- i.e., buying gold or silver coins or other coins before the mega-runup of the 1970's -- many coins seemed to peter out in the mid-single digit range appreciation-wise over many years or decades. And those lucky to have gotten in low and selling high would be the winners. But using rolling time periods to eliminate timing bias or luck, no asset class matched up with U.S. common stocks (foreign stocks were a different matter, because of all the wars that often reduced stocks to nil).

The 1933 you purchased only realized the original buyer 4.7% a year from 2002-22, which lagged the S&P 500 by a huge amount. Of course, there's more than return with our coins as we all know. :) I doubt someone buying 7- or 8-figure coins is primarily concerned with returns.

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has been a fun thread. Thanks all.

My limited experience with what goes on behind the scenes in the production of a TV Show was an appearance on the rebooted Hawaii Five-0. I agree with Ian that one of the best parts is getting to meet the principal players and regardless of staging, how cordial and genuine they are off camera, or at least they were to me.

One of the scenes I had a part in involved a Party Bus. After several takes, Danny and McGarret (Scott Caan and Alex O'Loughlin) stepped on to join us to get out of the rain. I offered my seat, but they declined. Not knowing what else to say, I added, "It's great getting to meet you guys." In response, Alex said, "Nice to meet you too."

@breakdown said:
    It’s worth mentioning that CAC has still not stickered an 1804 dollar. Rarity doesn’t guarantee a sticker so knowing that JA believed your coin is not messed with as well as accurately graded is worth some money, though probably not $10 million!

I guess a CAC sticker for ultra-rarities doesn't matter. I am sure the coin could get a CAC sticker if the TPG grade was 1-notch lower. That's what one owner did for a 1927-D Saint. :o

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@breakdown said:

I guess a CAC sticker for ultra-rarities doesn't matter. I am sure the coin could get a CAC sticker if the TPG grade was 1-notch lower. That's what one owner did for a 1927-D Saint. :o

One small abrasion or scratch though, and supposedly JA says it's Details.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:
    Hi -

Hope everyone enjoyed it.

We approached the show for a few reasons.

1. Could they have a huge client who wants the most valuable coin? (If a deal is done and filmed in real time, how amazing would that be to be part of?)

2. In general, it's great exposure for the hobby. It was Elite's idea initially and awesome how it all came together so quickly. We need as much exposure for coins as possible. At GC, we spent money on this endeavor because it's so important to attract collectors in the future.

Elite really wants people to learn more about coins and see a rarity like the 1933. Pawn Stars has a vast viewership - and the majority is outside of the numismatic community.

Rick's shop is impressive. The amount of foot traffic is astonishing. He has knowledge about coins. I wondered if he was going to call Steve Wynn or someone like that, he knows everyone in that town.

I had several conversations with Elite in the lead up to the taping "okay, we need to be prepared that your complete Saint set is not complete anymore" - he would have been a very reluctant seller, but knew that was the purpose of the project.

One other benefit, I got to hang out with Jeff Garrett after the taping - although I've known Jeff for years and we've done some business, I hadn't spent an afternoon with him before the day of the shoot in Vegas. We had a nice dinner at a classic Vegas restaurant after touring the Pawn shop.

The security and insurance was probably the most difficult part to arrange. It's why it was not filmed at his shop. Their team were very helpful and ensured everything went to plan and the coin's time on site was kept to a minimum.

• Ian

Thank you for your comments. How did you do at the tables?😀

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ ianrussell:

More fun watching an ultra rare coin related Pawn Stars episode than yet another 17th century clock!

Where can we see this episode? Can you text a link?

Was this a comedy photo of you praying in front of Rick?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2024 2:42PM

@oreville said:
    More fun watching an ultra rare coin related Pawn Stars episode than yet another 17th century clock!

Where can we see this episode? Can you text a link?

https://youtu.be/mLCyIeX1ACM?si=n74jY1cOO2vAfNfB

Edit to add “: I didn’t know the ending was cut off when I copied this from YouTube. Sorry.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:
    This has been a fun thread. Thanks all.

My limited experience with what goes on behind the scenes in the production of a TV Show was an appearance on the rebooted Hawaii Five-0. I agree with Ian that one of the best parts is getting to meet the principal players and regardless of staging, how cordial and genuine they are off camera, or at least they were to me.

One of the scenes I had a part in involved a Party Bus. After several takes, Danny and McGarret (Scott Caan and Alex O'Loughlin) stepped on to join us to get out of the rain. I offered my seat, but they declined. Not knowing what else to say, I added, "It's great getting to meet you guys." In response, Alex said, "Nice to meet you too."

OK, located a photo:

@breakdown said:

@Walkerfan said:

@ProofCollection said:

@ms70 said:

To discuss a coin that I personally graded long before slabs were invented, which would you rather have, the Garrett 1804 Dollar in a PR-40 slab with a Green Bean or even a Gold Bean, or the Garrett 1804 Dollar in its current PR-55 slab?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR-40 with green or gold sticker.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Floridafacelifter said:
    An 1804 $ and the 1933 $20 don’t need stickers and don’t need to play the plastic game- they stand on their own. IMHO the sticker on the 1933 $20 is more about CAC marketing and promotion than it is about the value or desirability it may lend to the coin.

None of the 1804 $ have stickers because they are all overgraded- so what- they are still 1804 $ and everyone knows they are overgraded.

I am a big fan of CAC and only buy proof gold with a sticker, but the 1804 and 1933 stand on their own and don’t need a sticker.

I don’t feel “so what” about coins being overgraded, and that’s whether they’re common or ultra rarities. When I see a coin that appears to be obviously overgraded, it’s harder for me to appreciate it. That’s because the first and primary thoughts on my mind are “At this grade, this coin should look a lot better.” Or “Why couldn’t (blank grading company) let the coin stand on its own and grade it as it deserved?”

As one general example, if I see a gorgeously toned coin which appears to have received a grade bump of one or two points for its color, I’m thinking more about the overgrade than about the coin’s attractiveness. It taints my view of and appreciation for the coin.

That makes sense Mark- I guess the point I was trying to make was that I owned the 1804 $ that @CaptHenway mentioned for a number of years and I couldn’t care less what the grade was or if it had a sticker- I was just thrilled to have the opportunity to own such an amazing rarity.

Now on the other hand if I’m looking at a proof Morgan $, which I also collect, and it is obviously overgraded then I’m totally turned off by that.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:

@MFeld said:

@Floridafacelifter said:
    An 1804 $ and the 1933 $20 don’t need stickers and don’t need to play the plastic game- they stand on their own. IMHO the sticker on the 1933 $20 is more about CAC marketing and promotion than it is about the value or desirability it may lend to the coin.

None of the 1804 $ have stickers because they are all overgraded- so what- they are still 1804 $ and everyone knows they are overgraded.

I am a big fan of CAC and only buy proof gold with a sticker, but the 1804 and 1933 stand on their own and don’t need a sticker.

I don’t feel “so what” about coins being overgraded, and that’s whether they’re common or ultra rarities. When I see a coin that appears to be obviously overgraded, it’s harder for me to appreciate it. That’s because the first and primary thoughts on my mind are “At this grade, this coin should look a lot better.” Or “Why couldn’t (blank grading company) let the coin stand on its own and grade it as it deserved?”

As one general example, if I see a gorgeously toned coin which appears to have received a grade bump of one or two points for its color, I’m thinking more about the overgrade than about the coin’s attractiveness. It taints my view of and appreciation for the coin.

That makes sense Mark- I guess the point I was trying to make was that I owned the 1804 $ that @CaptHenway mentioned for a number of years and I couldn’t care less what the grade was or if it had a sticker- I was just thrilled to have the opportunity to own such an amazing rarity.

Now on the other hand if I’m looking at a proof Morgan $, which I also collect, and it is obviously overgraded then I’m totally turned off by that.

I can certainly understand that, even if I haven’t owned an ultra rarity. In fact, while I can’t claim it would be prudent, if I owned one, I’d probably have it removed from its holder and placed into a personalized Capital Plastics holder.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

@MFeld said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

I can certainly understand that, even if I haven’t owned an ultra rarity. In fact, while I can’t claim it would be prudent, if I owned one, I’d probably have it removed from its holder and placed into a personalized Capital Plastics holder.

Haha love that idea! Like the Walton 1913 nickel! Alternatively I could use the 1804 $ for coin tosses- ColonelJessup did drop it on the floor once before it was encapsulated.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:

@MFeld said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

@MFeld said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

Haha love that idea! Like the Walton 1913 nickel! Alternatively I could use the 1804 $ for coin tosses- ColonelJessup did drop it on the floor once before it was encapsulated.

I think I’ll leave the coin tosses to you and the Colonel.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭

Just fortunate that Weitzman didn't etch a shoe into the reverse of the Saint.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:

@MFeld said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

@MFeld said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

If the NFL paid me enough money and I had an 1804 they could use it for the coin toss at the Superbowl.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not just do the coin flip while it is in the holder.😀

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

@MFeld said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

@MFeld said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

If the NFL paid me enough money and I had an 1804 they could use it for the coin toss at the Superbowl.

There would be a ten minute review to determine the outcome.

• EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way back in June 2021, this coin was available for lot viewing at Sotheby's. I went there and I was able to have one on one time with me & the 1933 $20. I asked her to marry me but she never answered me. I am still waiting for to say yes, so I can take her home.

Easton Collection
  • raysrays Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

@ProofCollection said:

@ms70 said:

I consider a CAC sticker as a valuable second opinion when selecting a coin of which many are certified, but I would like one of the better ones. For example, if one is seeking a nice MS65 St Gaudens double eagle, finding one with a CAC sticker would likely be worth pursuing. However, when there is only one coin certified (and in this case, one coin in any grade at all) I don't see the sticker adding anything at all. If you are in the market for a 20-30M$ unique coin, why would the opinion of one man have any bearing upon your decision? For that matter, the grade opinion by PCGS is of little importance.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

Remember what happened to George Walton -

On March 9, 1962, Walton died in a car crash en route to a coin show. He had promised the show's promoters that he would exhibit the 1913 Liberty Head nickel there, so it was assumed to have been among the coins in his possession at the time of the fatal crash. US$250,000 worth of coins were recovered from the crash site, including the 1913 Liberty nickel, which was protected in a custom-made holder. When Walton's heirs put his coins up for public auction in 1963, the nickel was returned to them, because the auction house had mistakenly determined the coin to be not genuine.

edited September 28, 2024 8:58PM

@rays said:

@Walkerfan said:

@ProofCollection said:

@ms70 said:

I consider a CAC sticker as a valuable second opinion when selecting a coin of which many are certified, but I would like one of the better ones. For example, if one is seeking a nice MS65 St Gaudens double eagle, finding one with a CAC sticker would likely be worth pursuing. However, when there is only one coin certified (and in this case, one coin in any grade at all) I don't see the sticker adding anything at all. If you are in the market for a 20-30M$ unique coin, why would the opinion of one man have any bearing upon your decision? For that matter, the grade opinion by PCGS is of little importance.

Winesteven won't buy coins without stickers. So that and others like him reduce the buyer pool size.

edited September 28, 2024 10:42PM

@DisneyFan said:
    When Walton's heirs put his coins up for public auction in 1963, the nickel was returned to them, because the auction house had mistakenly determined the coin to be not genuine.

Is that true ? So it wasn't an actual 1913 Liberty Nickel ?

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@DisneyFan said:
    When Walton's heirs put his coins up for public auction in 1963, the nickel was returned to them, because the auction house had mistakenly determined the coin to be not genuine.

Is that true ? So it wasn't an actual 1913 Liberty Nickel ?

It was. Stack's thought it was not genuine and returned it to the consignor family. Eventually is was determined to be genuine.

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@braddick said:
    There is a school of thought- by some, not many- that the show is perhaps and somewhat "staged."

(Kind of like roller-derby or whatnot, I suppose.)

@Walkerfan said:

@braddick said:
    There is a school of thought- by some, not many- that the show is perhaps and somewhat "staged."

(Kind of like roller-derby or whatnot, I suppose.)

I’m sure that a lot of it is staged but it was still interesting to see that it was up for sale and that he was asking $30 million!

@291fifth said:
    I stopped watching the show several years ago. Segments like the one you describe one were a prime reason why.

our own pennylady was on seriously selling an ww2 air recon camera --- with film inside! -- and said it was honest bargaiing

there have been other coins & paper money items where the item and people were know to forumites who speculated the items really weren't for sale

$18 mil to $30? I'm guessing it would have happened

The episode with pennylady aired many years back when the emphasis was on buying odd but much less expensive items. Those were the years when I actually watched the show.

She is very shrewd when bargaiing.

• acsbacsb Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

@mattniss said:
    In 2014, a producer from the show reached out to me after a mutual acquaintance told them about my (now former) collection of original 1st edition Hardy Boys books. After 2 virtual and 1 in-person interview (of which included bringing the items in for review by a team based in LA), I was accepted for the show and went out to Vegas to film my segment.

I can confirm the negotiation was real (the producers picked Chumlee and The Old Man as the "team" for my segment), but the items in question were clearly pre-approved by the producers of the show. They had to do the whole thing where they needed the book expert (Rebecca Romney, who was very nice in person) to come out and review my items, which was all planned out as well. I remember that I actually had to change my outfit to make it seem like she came in the next day to review everything. We ended up not making a deal, and the segment ended up never being aired as a result.

I eventually sold off the collection to a private book collector several years later for 3.5X what was offered to me in the segment by Mr. Harrison, who off camera loved my items. I guess the producers didn't like how it all turned out, as I have no idea how much, if anything, the the lack of a deal influenced the segment not making it onto the show.

Good stuff! During the 'rona era they wanted to bring the Mrs. and me on the show with some Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew original artwork. Something about they didn't want to deal with travel, which I suppose made sense. Nothing much came of it.

• mattnissmattniss Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

@acsb said:
    Good stuff! During the 'rona era they wanted to bring the Mrs. and me on the show with some Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew original artwork. Something about they didn't want to deal with travel, which I suppose made sense. Nothing much came of it.

Seems like they think the older children's book series' stuff is a good idea in the producer's room, but not in reality. I wonder if I know you from the HB community if you have original artwork @acsb? Also just noticed your avatar... "Terminal Shock" was one of my favorite of the Digest series as a kid.

Sorry for the off-topic chatter, here's another picture of Rick & the '33:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file