Home U.S. Coin Forum

Pawn Stars and the 1933 Farouk Double Eagle

WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 25, 2024 7:03PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Watched the latest episode this evening. Ian Russell was trying to sell Rick Harrison the 1933 MS 65 Saint Gaudens double Eagle. The one and only that just sold a couple years ago for over $18 million. Rick offered him $25 million and he turned it down. Said he would only entertain offers over $30 million. It was a super interesting episode. Did anyone else see it and what did you think? Jeff Garrett was also also there and made a good point. He said ‘when you own the one and only no one can undersell you’. 🤣😉 I was surprised to see it for sale so quickly. Think it sold last in 2021.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Comments

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EliteCollection Are you really marketing the coin? Or it's on loan for TV purposes?

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    There is a school of thought- by some, not many- that the show is perhaps and somewhat "staged."

(Kind of like roller-derby or whatnot, I suppose.)

I’m sure that a lot of it is staged but it was still interesting to see that it was up for sale and that he was asking $30 million!

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    There is a school of thought- by some, not many- that the show is perhaps and somewhat "staged."

@Walkerfan said:

@braddick said:

I’m sure that a lot of it is staged but it was still interesting to see that it was up for sale and that he was asking $30 million!

@291fifth said:
    I stopped watching the show several years ago. Segments like the one you describe one were a prime reason why.

our own pennylady was on seriously selling an ww2 air recon camera --- with film inside! -- and said it was honest bargaiing

there have been other coins & paper money items where the item and people were know to forumites who speculated the items really weren't for sale

$18 mil to $30? I'm guessing it would have happened

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does Rick have 25 million dollars?

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crepidodera said:
    Totally staged, Rick would never pay 25 million for the coin.

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:

I stand to be corrected, but it was my understanding with regard to ultra expensive coins that Pawn Stars would already have a buyer in place for the coin so in effect the show would be acting as an intermediary.

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

@Crepidodera said:
    Totally staged, Rick would never pay 25 million for the coin.

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:

I stand to be corrected, but it was my understanding with regard to ultra expensive coins that Pawn Stars would already have a buyer in place for the coin so in effect the show would be acting as an intermediary.

I guess anything is possible, but does Rick really have a better potential buyer/connection list than Ian Russell?

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2024 11:08PM

There was an episode of Cajun Pawn Stars over a decade ago where someone came in to sell a $5000 and $10000 denomination set of 4 notes. The actual owner who is a member of another forum said that it was staged and that he loaned them out to the History Channel use for the episode.

Given that, my first assumption would be that it this was staged as well.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@braddick said:

@Walkerfan said:

@braddick said:

@291fifth said:
    I stopped watching the show several years ago. Segments like the one you describe one were a prime reason why.

our own pennylady was on seriously selling an ww2 air recon camera --- with film inside! -- and said it was honest bargaiing

there have been other coins & paper money items where the item and people were know to forumites who speculated the items really weren't for sale

$18 mil to $30? I'm guessing it would have happened

The episode with pennylady aired many years back when the emphasis was on buying odd but much less expensive items. Those were the years when I actually watched the show.

All glory is fleeting.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago I happened to be watching and I saw a segment that had a guy that used to work for me at ANACS on it. Next time I saw him at a show I asked him about it and he said that when somebody came in with something interesting and uunusual they called him to be there as a consultant when the guy came back in a few days, by appointment, and the whole thing was scripted.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dana Linnett and Brian Hendelson, both numismatists, have been featured as experts or sellers on the show, as well.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Yep, first place I'm going to go with my multi-million dollar, one of a kind numismatic treasure is to a pawn shop!

Well, it is a third of a mile from Binions.

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

Clearly there are many segments where buyers have no intention of selling anything, so it's really a show where they talk about interesting things and their possible value. Like the Adam Carolla episode where he was selling a race car. Adam had no intention of selling the car. I wish they wouldn't have contrived segments, but I still the objects and discussions interesting.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:
    Well a 25 Million offer sure ain’t bad — no auction fees either.

There would be no auction fees on that coin anytime... well, unless you sold it yourself on ebay.

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

@braddick said:

Clearly there are many segments where buyers have no intention of selling anything, so it's really a show where they talk about interesting things and their possible value. Like the Adam Carolla episode where he was selling a race car. Adam had no intention of selling the car. I wish they wouldn't have contrived segments, but I still the objects and discussions interesting.

I agree. The backstories are often educational.

The show has to keep viewership. Show casing Banksy paintings and one off race cars etc. helps.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

The likelihood of someone trying to sell a $20M coin at a pawnshop is slim to none. If it was my coin I would be afraid of walking around with it.

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ernie11 said:
    Having the Pawn Stars hawk the 1933 Double Eagle is like basting horse meat with Dom Perignon.

Pawn Stars isn't your normal shop.

Not sure about your analogy. Basting any any meat with DP sounds unappetizing.

Grey Poupon on a coin show hotdog maybe.

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    The likelihood of someone trying to sell a $20M coin at a pawnshop is slim to none. If it was my coin I would be afraid of walking around with it.

You must not of seen Ian’s protective detail.

Also for everyone else - ITS ENTERTAINMENT!

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:

Or any number of the objects on the show. Who has a rare painting and thinks a Pawn Shop is the best place to go with it? Or trading cards, or comics or cars & motorcycles? It isn't your typical pawn shop though, it's not full of tools and old electronics, but still...

• FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2024 8:25AM

I know the guys on “Botched” and one segment of every episode is dedicated to something outrageous a patient wants or has had done- they have no intention of operating on them they just do it for ratings.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ian, wheeling and dealing with Pawn Star, Sr.

@ernie11 said:
    Having the Pawn Stars hawk the 1933 Double Eagle is like basting horse meat with Dom Perignon.

Made mimosas once. Good OJ though.

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2024 2:48PM

@jeffas1974 said:

FIFY

It's all about what the people want...

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

At one show I remember they had a booth at Long Beach where people could take items and the producers would decide whether or not they thought the items were interesting enough to have on the show. I know of at least one person who went to Vegas for a shoot where they filmed the negotiation and they did not air the exchange and no deal was made. Had the seller actually sold them the coin, maybe it would have aired. Even though the show is mostly scripted, from what I've seen, they actually buy the items if a deal is made. Shows like storage wars are total re-enactments where often the items that they "find" in the units are actually provided by the "experts" that they try to sell to for entertainment or marketing reasons.

• knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

Interesting how neither Ian nor John Albanese mentioned this coin to me at the coin show in Tampa a few weeks ago when I chatted with them. I certainly would have loved to have seen it….🤔😬😉

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2024 10:52AM

@ianrussell Thanks, Ian! I REALLY enjoyed watching the episode of Pawn Stars with the 1933 DE.

Thank You for EVERYTHING that you do for our hobby/investment/business!!

• GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Ian....I missed the original airing but will make sure I catch the re-broadcast.

So I take it from what you are saying that EC definitely WOULD have sold the coin if his asking price ($30 MM ?) was met -- is that correct ?

@EliteCollection said:
    Everything is for sale at a certain price. I won't consider selling it for under $30M at this time, but I would have to really think hard if I did get an offer over $30M.

Was the offer of $25,000,000 legit or scripted.

Seems Harrison would need to sell the coin for $30M unless he had a buyer in his pocket.

Heady stuff for a coin that traded for 7M two decades ago.

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EliteCollection said:
    Everything is for sale at a certain price. I won't consider selling it for under $30M at this time, but I would have to really think hard if I did get an offer over $30M.

Nice. Any in hand photos? Will you be showing the coin at any shows soon? I saw part of your collection prior, but your 33 was not there and was told it was due to insurance value at the show.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Yep, first place I'm going to go with my multi-million dollar, one of a kind numismatic treasure is to a pawn shop!

And then ask for 12 million more than what it last sold for....yeah right!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

@EliteCollection said:
    It will definitely be shown in future coin shows. There are actually many good shots of it on the Pawn Stars show.

Hope to see it at the FLL show next April. Cheers, karl

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file