Home U.S. Coin Forum

New member checking in

Just wanted to say hey to everyone. I was very into numismatics in my 30s, fell away for awhile, then just got the bug again this year in retirement. Enjoying CRH, though haven't found a silver coin yet. Not even in the cents rolls! :p I own about a half dozen slabbed classic coins, all in MS, though I'm looking to auction or sell most of them. Also have 30+ circulated common date Morgans and Peace $ inherited from my sainted maternal grandpa. You'll see me fairly active because I asked questions for a living (journalist for more than 30 yrs). Ciao for now, friends.

"Next year we could have an 8 cent nickel. Think what that would mean. You could go to a newsstand, buy a 3 cent newspaper, and get the same nickel back again. One nickel carefully used could last a family a lifetime." - Capt. Jeffrey T. Spaulding

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

in a lot of areas, the locals know about silver.

try boxes of half dollars

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Allnews

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the party 🥳

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, learn, share!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome ⭐️

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums ✌️

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! Hope you enjoy the ride - buckle up!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

good to have you on board!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Questions are good although you may not always like the answer but many people here only have good intentions.
    If you find your main area of collecting post pictures!
    Pictures speak volumes.
    Seek advice before buying too.
    I've had to learn a few hard lessons myself.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo SurfinxHI greencopper RWW bigjpst

• BobSavBobSav Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Welcome from Florida..

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the best place to learn about Numismatics, in my opinion. Welcome to the forum! I have been collecting off since I was a teenager, but got into it seriously maybe 15 years ago or so. The fun thing about numismatics is that you are constantly learning and finding new stuff all the time. For example, I didn't know fractional currency or Military payment certificates existed until just a couple of years ago, and now collect them both. I have always gravitated toward the unusual - half cents, 2 cent and 3 cent coins, 20 cent pieces, etc. Anyway, collect what you enjoy and what grabs your attention!

Dwayne Sessom
  • jedmjedm Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning, and welcome!

• Thanks, everyone. So great to see a 20 cent fan (I have a 75-s in 60), a Sawx fan (they fouled the nest this year, didn't they), a fellow Floridian, and Anthony Fremont (You're a bad man. You're a very bad man!)

"Next year we could have an 8 cent nickel. Think what that would mean. You could go to a newsstand, buy a 3 cent newspaper, and get the same nickel back again. One nickel carefully used could last a family a lifetime." - Capt. Jeffrey T. Spaulding

• ShurkeShurke Posts: 335 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome… Marx Brothers fan?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, I hope you find the Forums informative and enjoyable!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• CregCreg Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Welcome… Marx Brothers fan?

—or rob Zombie fan?

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard.

Enjoy the hobby and happy collecting.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to have you aboard!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on retirement and welcome.

Vplite99
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@allnewsanchor said:
    Thanks, everyone. So great to see a 20 cent fan (I have a 75-s in 60), a Sawx fan (they fouled the nest this year, didn't they), a fellow Floridian, and Anthony Fremont (You're a bad man. You're a very bad man!)

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/sports-talk

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BarbercoinBarbercoin Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭

Welcome! Advice to new retirees, stay active. Get off the couch. I inadvertently, gained too much weight sitting around and enjoying NOT WORKING! Not good! Maybe a few people know what I mean.

Lots of knowledge to be found here. Have fun and good luck selling the coins you inherited. All I got from my dad was guns!

John

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭✭

Hello.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @allnewsanchor , if you live in Florida, I might be eating all the silver. Nickels and dimes are my favorites to hunt.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• SaamSaam Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Welcome and Congratulations on retirement!

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2024 7:53AM

Yes, welcome! And thank you for providing information to the ignorant for 30+ years. Your profession doesn't get enough respect and the situation is getting worse. We've come a long way since Walter Chronkite retired, mostly in the wrong direction.

Caution: Please don't make the mistake of posting a damaged coin and asking (worse yet, telling) us that it's an error. Some readers take great offence to that innocent action and tend to overreact. But, none of them have welcomed you here, yet, so maybe we're OK. They are not really interested in welcoming but rather criticizing and picking fights. Ignore them if they rear their ugly heads, but so far so good.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • CregCreg Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2024 9:57AM

@sellitstore said:
    [snip] But, none of them have welcomed you here, yet, so maybe we're OK. They are not really interested in welcoming but rather criticizing and picking fights. Ignore them if they rear their ugly heads, but so far so good.

I did.

@Creg said:
    When do you announce a discovery coin? Do you reckon you can lash out a bit at us? This seems unusual.

(Welcome!)

• CRHer... in fact, I do live in the same state of lunatics as you.

sellitstore... that is a really kind and uplifting thing for you to say. And you're absolutely correct about my former biz. I can't even tell you how long it's been since I watched network or cable news... and I worked for every network affiliate as well as at CNN. And I always, ALWAYS played it straight. In fact, (true confessions) I did many stories on coin and currency scams, come-ons and ripoffs in the 10 years I was a consumer reporter. Even did a story on $2 bills for CNN back in '96 or '97! Again, thank you for your kind thoughts and the fact that you value quality journalism.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! And that’s too funny you mentioned CNN because I was gonna ask if you worked their and if you took early retirement :D
    Anyway, nothing political aloud here the moderators take it very very seriously 😂

• @Coinscratch said:
    Anyway, nothing political aloud here the moderators take it very very seriously 😂

That's why I was careful with my reply, my friend. No parties or candidates mentioned, no networks in particular denigrated. Just bemoaning what's happened to the craft and the industry I gave most of my life to.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, my son ...

welcome,

to the machine ....

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • lermishlermish Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

@allnewsanchor said:

@Coinscratch said:

That's why I was careful with my reply, my friend. No parties or candidates mentioned, no networks in particular denigrated. Just bemoaning what's happened to the craft and the industry I gave most of my life to.

Welcome aboard!

I'll just leave this here:

The fairness doctrine of the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC), introduced in 1949, was a policy that required the holders of broadcast licenses both to present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that fairly reflected differing viewpoints. In 1987, the FCC abolished the fairness doctrine, prompting some to urge its reintroduction through either Commission policy or congressional legislation. The FCC removed the rule that implemented the policy from the Federal Register in August 2011.

@lermish said:

@allnewsanchor said:

@Coinscratch said:

Welcome aboard!

I'll just leave this here:

The fairness doctrine of the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC), introduced in 1949, was a policy that required the holders of broadcast licenses both to present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that fairly reflected differing viewpoints. In 1987, the FCC abolished the fairness doctrine, prompting some to urge its reintroduction through either Commission policy or congressional legislation. The FCC removed the rule that implemented the policy from the Federal Register in August 2011.

What does that even mean?

OK, never mind I get it. I don’t wanna get too far off the point that’s another no-no back to coins :-)

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are welcome here.

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. Hope you retirement and time in the hobby is a wonderful experience.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• @lermish I know full well about the Fairness Doctrine, my friend. It was still in full force when I started in the business and I rue its passing to this day. It's the reason why Ed Murrow and Fred Friendly, after their devastating 3/9/54 broadcast about the junior senator from Wisconsin, offered the senator the entire program the following week to respond. See that kind of thing anymore? Of course not. Once the Doctrine was emasculated, then scuttled, one-sided talk radio began, then exploded. Some of that genre morphed into what many call "Hate Radio." And we can substitute "Cable TV" for "Radio" in too many instances. The FCC used to mandate civil debates and discussions. Those are all but lost.

Okay... we've strayed way off topic. Hope all y'all have made some fantastic finds lately! B)

• allnewsanchorallnewsanchor Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2024 6:21AM

One more thing... sincere thanks to the admins and mods for allowing us to chat about it all. o:)

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

@allnewsanchor Couldn't agree with you more. We are already in the gray area so I won't expound any further on my thoughts.

We can stray a little off topic (as that is the nature of a conversation) as long as we don't get overtly political, bring up political topics, talk about one side vs the other, etc. So, I think I am probably done with this topic for now ;)

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2024 7:13AM

@allnewsanchor said:
    One more thing... sincere thanks to the admins and mods for allowing us to chat about it all. o:)

Weekend mods are much more tolerant than the Monday morning crew.

B)

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes you will absorb tremendous numismatic thought and material here.

John Adams accumulated some amazing coins.

He could not have anticipated the disproportionate influence of the special interests and lobbyists.

Once news became a potential profit center permeated with opinion that was the end of fairness. We do capitalism hardcore here and very efficiently.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file