Home U.S. Coin Forum

How has 2024 treated you so far as a collector?

TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has it been a good year for you or?

Comments

• goldengolden Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found very few of the coins that I need. I have been the underbidder in several auctions. Maybe I should change my handle to Underbidder.

• mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭✭

Continuing to focus on quality over quantity. Bought several coins this year but only 2 that I plan on keeping long term.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2024 6:17PM

I only bought 2 coins in 2024 but they were both nice, higher-end examples of semi-key coins that I wanted and needed. I didn't pull the trigger on a 3rd and have been kicking myself ever since. :s That's not like me. But, in my own defense; I didn't decide not to buy it, rather someone else was just a little faster, on the draw. It took me too long to make up my mind. :( Bought a 4th coin but found that it had a scratch that I didn't like. I sold it for a quick $20 profit, even though I'd have been happy just breaking even. ;)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been an absolutely great year that follows a similar 2023. Mostly buying over selling.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s been ok, I think I bought more coins in 2023 though.

Mr_Spud

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2024 12:17PM

Mr_Spud

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t bought a single coin so far.
    Been sinking enormous amounts of money into major home remodeling projects.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Dan, really nice!!
    What’s those two coins doing with X’s though them?

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 941 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HillbillyCollector said:
    Nice Dan, really nice!!

Probably sold.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

One word sums it up "frustrated"

• percybpercyb Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2024 8:58PM

Selling silver eagles and gold coins into the rally has been nice.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

What gives?

edited September 13, 2024 8:52AM

PeakRarities aka Dan

Ever think of buying a first year set run to add to your 1794 half dollar? The 1794 dollar would be an amazing addition to your already amazing collection. I know they are not cheap but any first year issue are trophy coins for sure. I have always liked the 1796 dime...but then again I like all the first issues 1/2 cent up to the dollar. If copper is not your thing (I prefer silver coins myself) then that would save money on those.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheGoonies1985 said:

@alaura22 said:

What gives?

Well, it's a 3 part problem:
    1st, I can't find the coins that I am looking for
    2nd, when I do fine them they are problem coins in straight graded holders
    3rd, If I find a coin the price is too high and end up getting outbid

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best year ever; at least for selling.

Have sold three large safety deposits boxes worth.

Tempus fugit.
  • PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2024 8:33PM

@hummingbird_coins said:

Nice Dan, really nice!!

Probably sold.

No way Jose, those will
    Probably be buried with me :D

I put an X through those coins because I bought those in prior years, they weren’t 2024 coins :) .

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:

@hummingbird_coins said:

Nice Dan, really nice!!

Probably sold.

Now way Jose, those will
    Probably be buried with me :D

I put an X through those coins because I bought those in prior years, they weren’t 2024 coins :) .

Was wondering about the Xs, myself.

Yes, those are keepers!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• M4MadnessM4Madness Posts: 243 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2024 1:37PM

2024 has been the year of big losses for me. Lol! I completed my circulated Carson City Morgan set last year with grades ranging from VF35 to AU50. Then a few months ago, I decided I wanted XF40's and XF45's, so I upgraded the three VF35 keys to XF40's by trading them in and taking a beating. Recently I changed my mind again, and decided I want them to all be XF45's. So two XF40 keys and three other XF40's took a ride and I took another beating. LMAO!

• MizzouMizzou Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭

How has 2024 treated you so far as a collector?

Like a red headed step child

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

@M4Madness said:
    2024 has been the year of big losses for me. Lol! I completed my circulated Carson City Morgan set last year with grades ranging from VF35 to AU50. Then a few months ago, I decided I wanted XF40's and XF45's, so I upgraded the three VF35 keys to XF40's by trading them in and taking a beating. Recently I changed my mind again, and decided I want them to all be XF45's. So two XF40 keys and three other XF40's took a ride and I took another beating. LMAO!

Any photos? I'm trying for F15 below in CAC and the 1885 was the hardest so far. Finally made a concession to buy a VF20 this week.

• humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've bought one coin in 2024. Would love to buy more if I could find anything I need.

Ive started buying paper $ over the last couple years because the coins I need are nowhere to be found.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slow.

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2024 5:05PM

It's been a quiet year so far. I'm down to one coin for a complete SLH set. I just cherry picked another PCGS straight graded 1855/54 that was misidentified as an 1855 normal date. It's my 20th cherried 1855/54, so things were going well.

That is, until PCGS completely botched a coin attribution after being given the proper coin designation ("1855/54") and coin number ("6282") for the coin on the submission sheet, then changed the name and number to the WRONG name and Number without consulting the client. The attribution was easier than identifying a 1955 DDO Lincoln cent! Apparently, that's asking too much of the professional numismatists at PCGS, so I have to PAY to have the coin reholdered and ATTRIBUTED (inappropriate for a main sequence Coin Facts coin) instead of offering a free reholdering for their multiple unforced errors.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2024 7:43PM

I have bought twice as much in 2024 as I did in 23. One big purchase at ANA auction on which I really stretched.

Had fun At FUN but got outbid on a coin I am still regretting.
    So a mixed bag and I need to cut it back for a bit.
    But always learning, which is the main thing.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭

Been fine for me too. Happy so far!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not bad. I have gotten some nice coins, but they have come via private treaty. As usual I've been beaten up at the auctions. I have a great talent for coming in second.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Here's my 1855/54 back from PCGS as an 1855 normal date, with the ink still fresh on the erroneous label.

Even with obscuring toning, this is an obvious overdate.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2024 12:59PM

@Barberian said:
    Here's my 1855/54 back from PCGS as an 1855 normal date, with the ink still fresh on the erroneous label.

Can you do an overlay of the 4?
    I see something there but could it maybe a wishful thinking stretch to see 55/54?

That 4 is awfully wide for a 5 to cover?

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@usararecoins

I was very close to pulling the trigger on the 2.5 at the same price you paid honestly. Such an excellent pair of coins, you’ve done very well this year.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

edited September 14, 2024 2:34PM

@rte592 said:

@Barberian said:

>

Can you do an overlay of the 4?
    I see something there but could it maybe a wishful thinking stretch to see 55/54?

That 4 is awfully wide for a 5 to cover?

Portions of the 4 may have been polished off the die. Here are two strong overdates showing portions of the underlying date.

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭

2024 has been a very strange year for me. I spent the first 4 months in a medical lock down.
    During that time I found 2 coins for my very small Reeded Edge Half set, but nothing for my primary Seated sets. I was out of funds by May, ( self employed so no work/no money).
    I was just about resolved to sell some coins so I could complete a few projects when 3 different windfalls came my way. unfortunately, any coins worth having dried up. Until August.
    Then I got the exact CH-45 Seated New Orleans quarter from the 1840-s I had been looking for. Right after that I found 3 coins on my Seated Dime bucket list. !837 Sm Stars DDR, 1843/1843 and 1847 f-101 Date on base. I also landed 3 other dimes.
    I am in a holding pattern right now. Again self employed so must work. fortunately have had busiest summer in 20 years. Great Collections has a massive Seated Dime variety collection coming up in the future. I just haven't won a coin there in months so who knows how 2024 ends. James

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scotty4449 said:
    It's been slow for me. I have only added a single coin so far. I ended up getting crushed in the handful of other coins I seriously went after.

Here is the one I did manage to win. It's a 66 CAC and I love it!

Oh muh gurd!!!!! That’s one hell of a bella Bella. Stunning. Amazing. Tip of the hat to you sir.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meh year for me, but I did upgrade one coin.

@Raybo said:
    Meh year for me, but I did upgrade one coin.

Care to share?

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slow year. my sets are all 100% complete. Hard to find upgrades in my favorite series as most are single digit population and the $$$ just aren't there.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

My coin buying has definitely slowed the last couple of years. Much more picky now than I once was and it has been a good thing. I did find a D Carr Merlin that I really like a few days after the ball dropped on NYE....and I picked up a 10 oz 2014 Perth Lunar Silver Horse for not much over spot price when silver was around $25. Very happy with both of those. A couple of GC auctions I was bidding on. One wasn't even close and the other was the under bidder.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file